Macro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Having seen the pinDMD I decided I needed one for my virtual cab build, but that causes me a problem - several of the tables I like have been created in FP and not VP

how do I get a proper DMD working with FP ?

having done some investigation, I figure that there is a way to grab the DMD information between the program and the graphics card, so with some information on how to program the pinDMD from RussDX, some open source code from google repository and some of my own - I have a 'proof of concept' sorted. still needs some work before it's ready for mainstream, but here's some sample shots of it running in my part built cab (linked to the DMD on the TZ next to it)

Dmd test
Album: PinDMD with FP
3 images
0 comments

Edited by Macro, 15 November 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#2 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

• Favorite Pinball: NBAFB

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

nice work :)

I really should send a email to the fp author and ask if he wants to add some sort of pinDMD plugin to his code so it can talk to the board direct.

#3 Aurich

Aurich

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Nice. I don't even mess with FP, maybe some day, but everything is improved with a real DMD!

Russ I was under the impression FP was no longer under development, but I could be mistaken.

#4 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

i have no idea i don't follow fp at all hehe, sent a email off any way :) just in case.

#5 mattdavis

mattdavis

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: TZ

• PS3 Gamer Tag: MattDavisAL

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Having seen the pinDMD I decided I needed one for my virtual cab build, but that causes me a problem - several of the tables I like have been created in FP and not VP

how do I get a proper DMD working with FP ?

having done some investigation, I figure that there is a way to grab the DMD information between the program and the graphics card, so with some information on how to program the pinDMD from RussDX, some open source code from google repository and some of my own - I have a 'proof of concept' sorted. still needs some work before it's ready for mainstream, but here's some sample shots of it running in my part built cab (linked to the DMD on the TZ next to it)

p.s. pics will appear once approved by moderator!

Hi Marco,

This potentially is a huge achievement. Being able to push FP to a 3rd screen would be great. Do you know if this process can be applied to a 3rd non-DMD screen?

FP is no longer being developed. Chris (aka Black) has left the building and seems to have abandon FP entirely (which is why the physics have remained sub-standard all this time). When he was around, he stated that FP will never be programmed for a 3rd screen and threatened to pull "arcade render" out (effectively ending cab support). That is why the hacked versions have come into existence (though I can't spot any improvement with them).

-Matt

Edited by mattdavis, 15 November 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#6 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

hmm looks like i wont be expecting an email back any time soon lol

#7 Aurich

Aurich

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Man, the drama seems so much thicker in the virtual pinball world than in the MAME/emulation scene. :P

#8 Macro

Macro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

This potentially is a huge achievement. Being able to push FP to a 3rd screen would be great. Do you know if this process can be applied to a 3rd non-DMD screen?

well, basically I end up with the DMD image in memory so it could be used for anything you fancy

I recode it into pinDMD format, and then send it to the pinDMD, but it could just as easily be converted into a bitmap ala pinmame and displayed as a window. (I was originally planning to do that for testing, but went direct to the pinDMD in the end - seemed easier!)

hmm looks like i wont be expecting an email back any time soon lol

That's why I needed to do it another way - one that doesn't involve hacking the program

It also means I can switch to a different graphic card if I get it working properly, which seems to support VP better (I'm using an ATI with 3 monitors and can go back to my nvidia with just the 2 if this works - fortunately I have already tested that it works with nvidia, that's what I have in my development machine)

#9 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Does this process work the otherway round? Can you set some memory and read it from fp?

#10 mattdavis

mattdavis

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi Marco,

How do you know what to 'snag' to get just the DMD? FP is sending the backglass+dmd or playfield+dmd(as a hud object). Are you looking at (or altering) the FP table script to know what to specifically capture?

-Thanks,
Matt

#11 Macro

Macro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Does this process work the other way round? Can you set some memory and read it from fp?

not that I can think of at the moment, the system is pretty much one way - but there are other ways to talk to FP - key presses for instance - I'll think on it and see if any crazy ideas come up.

How do you know what to 'snag' to get just the DMD? FP is sending the backglass+dmd or playfield+dmd(as a hud object). Are you looking at (or altering) the FP table script to know what to specifically capture?

I spent some time debugging to find the relevant bits, then used that info to write a program to capture them / output them as required.

Once it's done the source code will be made available, since I'm sure that some of the people on here can make it do all sorts of other things that I haven't thought of, and it doesn't need any changes to FP at all - you just drop another file (or 3) into the folder with it.

interestingly, FP seems to send the DMD data whether it is visible or not from what I have seen so far, so if you have tables with a HUD and a backglass DMD, then it still processes the HUD even if you have it hidden. (which conveniently means you could use a hidden DMD to send data to other programs if you wished)

#12 mattdavis

mattdavis

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hi Marco,

Let me know if I can help with testing for windowed output (if you plan on doing that (please be doing that ;-> )). If a window can be made that will retain custom size and position, that would be perfect. There is a script that can be used in fplaunch that will allow Hyperpin to call an alternate exe for specific tables (this was done to allow multiple versions of FP to be used). I am sure it would be simple to make it call and subsequently kill the DMD process for DMD FP tables.

I can see it getting more complicated because of varying DMD sizes. There is also the question of being able to send HUD objects to the DMD for dmd-less tables. It seems like that might be a simple script update to the table itself so that the hud data is designated as DMD type. Slamt1lt's Tron table (among others) produce video (mp4?) to the backglass from an object listed as "OVERLAY". I wonder if that could be conditionally used instead of (or including) a DMD object. Perhaps there needs to be a "Marco-DMD" object/designation that future FP tables could specifically reference, to remove any ambiguity in what hits the 3rd screen. I don't build tables so I don't know how objects work in FP and how you might be able to interact with specific ones.

Very interesting.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by mattdavis, 15 November 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#13 Carlitoshl

Carlitoshl

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hi Macro:
I see that you're starting to dive inside FP.
I also see that you have a Pin Cab.
If you are bored you can look at [site reference removed].
People are working to open a line of communication to drivers as Ledwiz to activate flashers & solenoids. (search for FPDMX)
All new ideas are welcome to improve FP!

#14 Aurich

Aurich

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

If you are bored you can look at [site reference removed].

Sorry Noah, but censoring references to other sites is really f-ing petty, please stop doing that. (I feel the same way about other sites censoring links to vpforums.org, it's childish, there's just no other way to see it.) It benefits no one, and actively hurts conversations like this that would move things forward for us all (and I don't even use FP).

#15 jasonsmith

jasonsmith

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

This would be totally amazing if we could get this going. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

It'll bump up m Budget Build costs but WELL worth it IMO.

Edited by jasonsmith, 16 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#16 Zablon

Zablon

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi Marco,

Let me know if I can help with testing for windowed output (if you plan on doing that (please be doing that ;-> )). If a window can be made that will retain custom size and position, that would be perfect. There is a script that can be used in fplaunch that will allow Hyperpin to call an alternate exe for specific tables (this was done to allow multiple versions of FP to be used). I am sure it would be simple to make it call and subsequently kill the DMD process for DMD FP tables.

Not to threadjack because it's awesome to hear someone is working on making FP work with real DMD's and can't wait to see it in action, but this line right here caught my attention? I was not aware of this and find nothing about it here or elsewhere. Can you point me in the right direction or tell me how this is done?

**EDIT** - N/M found it, didn't realize it was a hack.

Edited by Zablon, 16 November 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#17 Macro

Macro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

ok, written most of the code, have a bug to squash (but fairly certain of what it is I need to change)

made a video of it running tonight, using the adams family table, cab version, no changes needed to downloaded table

#18 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

now thats cool :)

what type of dmd you running there in your twightzone? the original plasma?

#19 Steve Paradis

Steve Paradis

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: RFM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

where can one buy a PinDMD exactly? my body is ready for this...
I like poutine...Not the russian guy but the fries and gravy and cheese curds stuff.

#20 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

first version sold out long ago :( im just finalizing the second version now, should be ready for project within the next few weeks, i hope to have them ready for early jan 2013.

www.pindmd.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pindmd