Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (GSGregg @ Aug 21 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's almost ninety days since I unsuccessfully looked for these after humid helped me ID them; so I thought I'd try again in case a miracle occurred. The tables are both 1970 Williams models: 4 Aces, and Aces & Kings. Both feature playfield spinners, each with a pair of posts, and 4 Aces has seven hanging targets across its wide-bodied back wall plus an upper set of flippers, while Aces & Kings has two quartets of button targets flanking two top rollovers and forming a curved wall above three pop-bumpers.

These games contributed nicely to my post-military delinquency continuation; anyone else remember them? Favorably?

To faralos: Banjo Kazooie! is indeed fun....and forgiving. On many tables, a flipper shot that doesn't make it up the inner right orbit(?) to the (red- and yellow- target area, whatever it's called) would flop back SDTM, but BK! has a very slight lip or bump that prevents that and gives a save opportunity with the left flipper.

I have yet to hit 200M, but I've had a few of the 8-ball multi-episodes you mentioned. I don't know whether you can go beyond eight, probably because I haven't shot Mr. Vile yet (Damn Him!). Edit: Almost forgot....nice job on the graphics!

Also, if you're going to take a shot at Space Cadet, have you collected whatever you needed for it?

GSG

Yeah I see those 2 tables in IPDB, & I looked through my collection of every VP table known to man, & they simply havent been recreated yet.
I would probably prefer Aces & Kings, has a cool look. Though 4 Aces looks pretty rad (rad?) as its such an old game but with 4 flippers & the spinner, also the swinging/hanging targets are kinda unique. In fact I can't even tell what the point of those are. How exactly do they work & why wouldn simply standup targets be there.
I'd love to see a pic to see exactly how those targets switches work, kinda confusing.

As for why these tables havent been done. Well, most likely because in the VP EM hayday there just wasn't good resources or info to build the tables. Remember that EM's cant run off roms, so if you dont have all the details for a games rules & how it plays, that is a pretty big deal.
But these days, I agree it would be nice to see these 2 tables. Lets find some decent resources at least.
Also, has anybody checked FP to see if Popotte or somebody made one of these for FP? he may have.

#22 powerchisper

powerchisper

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 243 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Dracula

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

I know I'm a pain in the ass , but I think that Dracula is a quite underrated table.
It has the Mist-Multiball floating ball , which I think it's very exciting , and you have to know how to play in order to get a high score.
There is a very good version by Lander , but it is for 4:3. I am trying to recreate it for full screen but it's to difficult for me at this moment.

Another table that I think is underrated is the machine ( Bride of Pinbot ) , but I know Unclewilly is making a gorgeous recreation of it,
Please correct my English if it is necessary.

Any funny words or sentences you can teach me are welcome too !!!

This way I'll learn about pinball but English as well.

#23 Wizards_Hat

Wizards_Hat

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: STTNG

• Trophies:

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (rob046 @ Aug 21 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Though 4 Aces looks pretty rad (rad?) as its such an old game...

smile.gif
Dan.
A wizard only needs one ball...but can handle six.

#24 GSGregg

GSGregg

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,131 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally CENTAUR (1981)

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

To rob046 and any other pinballers in the room:

When I opened my "Anyone remember a game like this?" thread, I was after the floating (not powered, as in Fireball, etc.) spinner with posts, but since it's the disc that spins, and not the posts, I never searched under 'spinning posts'. Once humid woke me up, I hit IPDB and got eleven matches; these tables topped the list. When I saw those metal targets on '4 Aces' it was like, holy crap---I remember that! But as far as remembering how they worked....that's taking a while longer. It's been almost 40 years since I laid eyes on one of these.

I think the first hit raises the metal piece and exposes a button-target which awards your points, bonus advance, lit Ace, etc. As stated in the Cash Box Ad, lighting both left (black) or right (red) Aces lights the target in between, changing it from bonus advance to bonus collect. When you hit a collect target, the metal drops back down and traps the ball while the bonus is counted off. At least, I think it drops....the ball is retained by something and I don't think magnets* were used on this one. Edit: I may be wrong; three of seven IPDB reviews mention magnets. However, the Notable Features in the table description don't.

I don't recall exactly how you light the Special outlanes (maybe with maximum, but uncollected, bonus?) or the 'inner' outlanes which, I believe, lite 'next card when lit', referring to the suit of Hearts on the backglass which awards Special (free game, I'm sure) when filled. Probably about as reliable as the 'match' feature. Even if you dropped every ball through a lit 'next card' lane, you'd get only five Specials in thirteen games.

Although there's a chance that I'm right about some of the above stuff, I have no clue what the 'A' and 'B' button targets do. Oh, well....there's always Pro Pinball rolleyes.gif

GSG

Edited by GSGregg, 01 May 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#25 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

anybody know where i can find an old vp original table called Mario's Tee Shot? It is a super mario themed table and the only thing I can find is it coming up in torrents and reviews with images but no link to the table. It looks like a lot of fun. Silverballwiz mentioned it to me in the chat as he was looking for it smile.gif
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#26 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,467 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most

• Trophies:

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 30 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anybody know where i can find an old vp original table called Mario's Tee Shot? It is a super mario themed table and the only thing I can find is it coming up in torrents and reviews with images but no link to the table. It looks like a lot of fun. Silverballwiz mentioned it to me in the chat as he was looking for it smile.gif

I have Mario's Tee Shot. Here's the link for download: Mario's Tee Shot

One table that probably hasn't crossed anyone's mind and is one of Gottlieb's better tables is Spirit.

Edited by Practicedummy, 31 August 2010 - 12:30 PM.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

#27 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Aug 31 2010, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 30 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have Mario's Tee Shot. Here's the link for download: Mario's Tee Shot

One table that probably hasn't crossed anyone's mind and is one of Gottlieb's better tables is Spirit.

Thank you PracticeSmarty.... sorry coudn't call you a dummy after you just hooked me up smile.gif

I have gottlieb's spirit downloaded for VP i'll give it a shot again.
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#28 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

hey Practicedummy, I tryed to load this table and get an error saying there is a missing file. Line 3 of the script comes up red and tells me this

ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("dmdtestfile.vbs", 1).ReadAll

do you have that dmdtestfile.vbs? I think that is what i need

#29 superballs

superballs

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 175 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: High Speed II: The Getaway, Triple Strike, Beat This, Medieval Madness

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a VP9 build of Monday Night Football.

I remember playing that when i was but a pup. There was this bar that would actually let me in to play that. Shooting field goals and gaining yardage was just the most fun thing ever.

The VP8 version is ok, but a bit bland and i think if you hit the 40 yard plunger shot you're almost certain to drain down the right outlane.

#30 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,467 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 31 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey Practicedummy, I tryed to load this table and get an error saying there is a missing file. Line 3 of the script comes up red and tells me this

ExecuteGlobal CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile("dmdtestfile.vbs", 1).ReadAll

mmm...I wonder if that would be Gerhard's dmd. I'll upload that and see if that is what is needed. Here's the link:Gerhard's DMD

#31 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Aug 31 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 31 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mmm...I wonder if that would be Gerhard's dmd. I'll upload that and see if that is what is needed. Here's the link:Gerhard's DMD

I'm not sure what all these files are and it wants me to install stuff....

#32 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,467 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:06 AM

It's been so long since I installe that table that I can't remember what it requires. I thought it ws Gerhard's DMD.

#33 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Aug 31 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been so long since I installe that table that I can't remember what it requires. I thought it ws Gerhard's DMD.

It's ok man don't worry about it. A table this hard to play isnt worth it.

#34 rudy111

rudy111

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

• Favorite Pinball: undecided

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

I know a couple forgotten tables id LOVE to see have an update

Street Fighter 2
the BALLY GAME SHOW
Nightmare on ELM
Popeye
paragon
and mousin Around
"Thats okay there are no stupid questions......................just stupid people"

#35 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (rudy111 @ Aug 31 2010, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Street Fighter 2
the BALLY GAME SHOW
Nightmare on ELM
Popeye
paragon
and mousin Around

Don't worry I'm pretty sure The Trout is working on a complete graphical redraw of this table so expect a nice version in FS and 4:3 in the months to come. No rush to The Trout.

So you wanna mouse around? Oh man the first time i heard this on the vp8 table I had my speakers up so loud it scared me half to death haha... fun table

there is a pretty good version of Bally Game Show on VP8 but I think somebody might work on that one soon since resources for it were recently made3 available to VIP and Staff thanks to Wizards_Hat.

smile.gif

#36 Itchigo

Itchigo

Be careful, your PM's can be edited here!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Former VIP and proud of it!

• Trophies:

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (rudy111 @ Aug 31 2010, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Street Fighter 2
the BALLY GAME SHOW
Nightmare on ELM
Popeye
paragon
and mousin Around

I think Paragon would be a good one for JP as he nailed Lost World.
Now available: The World's first VP Template with B2s Capability!

#37 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,467 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 31 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Found the file, hope this does it. dmdtestfile.vbs

#38 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Practicedummy @ Sep 1 2010, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sabbat Moon @ Aug 31 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Found the file, hope this does it. dmdtestfile.vbs

lol that was it, thank you very much. But now it's given me a new error at bootup haha. "active x component can't create object: SDBvision.SDBdisplays'"

#39 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,467 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

I decided to start that table up as well and it gave me the same error message. I have no idea what it is about. : (

#40 LostWorldPinball

LostWorldPinball

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Spiderman & Apollo 13 & Jurassic Park

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:23 AM

I'll say pinballs that I like that aren't in the top 60 of ipdb, and thus I guess you can say they are forgotten. A bunch of Sega pinballs such as Apollo 13, X-Files, Lost World, Starship Troopers, Lost in Space, and Independence Day are pinballs that I enjoy that I guess could be forgotten.

Playboy by Stern isn't that old, and I like that one. I like NBA Fastbreak. I also like NFL pinball by Stern. Monopoly by Stern at first I didn't really like, but than I just seemed to get used to it, and enjoy it.