Photo
- - - - -

App that can read what version of VP a table uses?

Visual Pinball

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 taunt

taunt

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 46 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ultrapin

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:04 AM

Hello, is there a app that can read what version of VP a table uses buy the vpt file? I just got back in VP and I'm using Pinballx as a launcher. Currently I have all my VP9 tables in one folder. I would like to separate all the different table in more folders like 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 and so on. It would make the media more clean. I didn't know if a app can read all the files in my table directory then list the table with name and VP version.

Thanks

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:21 AM

I am not sure besides VPT = VP8/9 and VPX = VPX

most of your VP9 tables should run in 995 though and the ones that do not should run in 921

only exception i can think of is if you have any VP9 PM5 tables

and they run with phys mod 5

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 jino0372

jino0372

Ordinary Average Guy

• Platinum Supporter
  • 237 posts

• Favorite Pinball: CFTBL, Haunted House, Any Bally from the '80's, All EM machines

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:00 AM

@taunt - Some table authors may put this in the top of the script.  I know many also state this on the download page of the table.

Check out my website for any latest updates or information on current builds that I am working on.

077b59_220a28a7f1c8449998b6a25f36fd5f47~

#4 laylow

laylow

VP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: 1978 >

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

The last time I used VP9 was 2017, that time I played and recorded every released table with 9.95. Never used an older version again.

#5 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

Edited by chepas, 08 December 2022 - 01:31 PM.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#6 wagbpro

wagbpro

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fish Tales

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:26 AM

I see on https://wagbpro.com there is also basic text reading support. Don't know if it can help you

Edited by wagbpro, 27 September 2021 - 09:55 AM.

#7 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:58 AM

That info is in the vpt file, and i know where it is, but i do not know how to read it

i can look at it, but it is in binary of some sort so it does not look like what you would be looking for
it does not say vp995 or vp921
not in plain text anyways

@Toxie could probably answer this or @Fuzzel

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#8 ermaclarke

ermaclarke

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: pinball

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:32 AM

I am also in need of such an application. i asked a lot of people in https://fmwaapps.com group about this

Edited by ermaclarke, 20 August 2022 - 09:58 AM.

#9 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,854 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:25 PM

How about you make a folder and name it VP8, and then go to VP8 download section, and you will know what tables are made for VP8, because you are downloading them from the VP8 download section.

Now make a VP9 folder, and then go to the VP9 download section, and do the same. If a table is needs to be ran with an older version of VP9, it will usually say on the tables download page, (VP9.12, and such will usually be in in the file version area).

Easy and no app needed. Just look on the tables download page.

The VPX7.exe plays all the older version VPX tables, so there is no need to seperate any of these tables.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#10 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:49 AM

How about you make a folder and name it VP8, and then go to VP8 download section, and you will know what tables are made for VP8, because you are downloading them from the VP8 download section.

Now make a VP9 folder, and then go to the VP9 download section, and do the same. If a table is needs to be ran with an older version of VP9, it will usually say on the tables download page, (VP9.12, and such will usually be in in the file version area).

Easy and no app needed. Just look on the tables download page.

The VPX7.exe plays all the older version VPX tables, so there is no need to seperate any of these tables.

heh, thats what i do

#11 descargarsnaptube

descargarsnaptube

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: Barbados

• Favorite Pinball: Jersey Jack Pinball

Posted 19 November 2023 - 12:54 PM

Here are some general steps you can take to identify the version of a Virtual Pinball table:

Check Table Documentation:

Many VP table creators include documentation or readme files with information about the table, including its version. Look for any accompanying files that came with the table download.
Visit the Source Website: Snaptube

If you downloaded the table from a specific website or forum, check the original source. Authors often provide information about updates and versions in forum threads or download pages.
Table Editor Software:

Some table editor software may display information about the table, including its version. If you have a VP table editor, check for an option to view details or properties of the table.
Community Forums:

Virtual Pinball communities, such as forums or Discord channels, are excellent resources. Post a question in the community, and the creators or experienced users might help you identify the version.
Table File Properties:

Right-click on the table file (.vpx) and check for properties. Some details about the file, including version information, may be available in the file properties.
Table Loading Screen:

Sometimes, when you load a table in Virtual Pinball, the loading screen or splash screen may display version information or credits. Keep an eye out for any version details during the loading process.
Read Me Text:

Open the table file in a text editor and look for any version information in the code or comments. Sometimes, creators embed version details within the table script.
Remember that the availability of version information may vary depending on how the table was created and whether the creator included this information in the release. If you are part of a Virtual Pinball community, reaching out to fellow enthusiasts for assistance is often a good way to get accurate information about the table version.

#12 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,053 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 19 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

VPinballX.starter
Small tool to start the right VPinballX version depending on the table file

https://github.com/J...inballX.starter