#1 Caligula_

Caligula_

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 74 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

So not much new from VPVR side, but at least I closed the gap to the VPX development. It worked for me, but when you find any bugs, crashes or other stuff, I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

https://sourceforge....cts/vpvr/files/

#2 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Strike

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

Thanks!

#3 RYSr

RYSr

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 508 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: TZ - G&R - MB - CV - Metallica

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

Thanks Caligula,

I let my son borrow my VR setup and he hasn't returned it yet he and the grandkids are loving it.

Guess I'll have to buy newer rig to alternate for VPVR on my PC and Cab, I miss it. :80:  :cray:  :help:

I loaded a table with it in regular VPX mode and I love the new 10.7 beta version editor graphics update and the Tabs on the properties section. I don't think a new  VPX 10.7 beta thread and releases are even out yet. The devs have been busy :otvclap:  :db:

Edited by RYSr, 24 February 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#4 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:38 AM

Great news, thanks.  Will definitely try it out tomorrow.  Its incredible how 2 of my loves have run into each other.  Thanks for steady updates and improvements, I bow.

#5 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:19 AM

Great news. Thanks, Caligula! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow night. Will report back...

#6 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

..but be careful: The 10.7 is still in heavy alpha dev mode, thus no beta thread yet, so don't rely on saved tables to work in future 10.7 updates, etc!

SO DON'T DO YOUR MAJOR DEVELOPMENT YET WITH THAT ONE! (or at least have a backup strategy ;))

#7 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

also note that the current 10.7 alpha is buggy due to some of the my physics code changes

#8 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:11 AM

Physics changes? Interesting. Would love to hear about them, but understand if you'd like to keep them under your hat for now, Toxie.

#9 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Caligula_!!!!    This is some pretty great news!!   

#10 iryan2

iryan2

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

• Favorite Pinball: White Water

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

Hi Caligula, 

Thanks so much for your work on VPVR, I've been wondering what VR's killer app will be since I got a DK1, and I believe VPX / VPVR is it, for me at least. 

I've almost, almost got it working, but I'm suffering from horrible judder / stuttering caused by some kind of problem with headset tracking. Details in this thread, I'm posting here too because I installed the VPVR0.7 update first, before trying out the main releases, so I'm wondering a few things:

a) is the VPVR 0.7 update compatible with VPX 10.6? 

b) would you expect any issues to arise from simply replacing the VPVR0.7.zip files with the older VPVR.zip files?

c) Is it worth trying to completely remove VPX and starting from scratch?

d) when is it appropriate to use the 64bit version? Should I match my OS or is there a 64bit version of VPX I should be using? 

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this issue. I haven't ruled out that it's a Radeon specific issue, I'm using an RX 480 and had to select "RGBA 16F" to get the table to appear at all. I've seen you ask elsewhere for people to confirm whether Radeon's work at all, happy to report they do, with the above caveat, of course.

Cheers

#11 Caligula_

Caligula_

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

It should be compatible with VPX10.6, although it contains some updated vbs scripts compared to the release before, but I'm not sure if they are part of 10.6 or came later. I chose the 0.7 postfix because it is based on the (almost) latest VPX 10.7 commits, but since VR is still more or less a development project I thought 0.7 would be more honest than 10.7. I also decided to upload a separate file, in case the new version has some ugly bugs I missed and the users still can switch back to the old release.

No it is better not to completely remove VPX, but to integrate VPVR into the same folder The 32/64bit version should match your VPX and Pinmame version. VPX should always be in the same folder since VPVR has still no own installer and VPX also helps a lot to narrow down techical issues (First two questions if VPVR is not working are always: do the 32/64bit versions match and is VPX working?).

Since RGBA 16F works fine for Geforce and Radeon users, I think I should set it as default value for the next release.

#12 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:47 PM

Physics changes? Interesting. Would love to hear about them, but understand if you'd like to keep them under your hat for now, Toxie.

Nothing spectacular. I did some experiments with Embree, as this now features collision detection routines, and thus needed to change some stuff and clean up things under the hood to make that work.

But turns out, that Embree can for some tables even be slower than our quad/kd-tree implementations (as these have more top level information and are also pretty well optimized).

Apart from that i (once again) try to unify more of the physics code. But it's a bottomless pit.

But at least it looks like some tweaks may survive that will improve corner cases and have less issues.

#13 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

Thanks so much for the 0.7 VPVR release, caligula. Thanks for the reply regarding physics tweaks, toxie. I realize 10.7 is early alpha. Even so, I'll report a few strange behaviors I witnessed on my machine.

First, to install I dragged and dropped all the newly unzipped 10.7 VPVR files into the Visual Pinball folder and overwrote everything. Let me know if I missed something there. Pretty sure I got that right.

I played three tables:

Addams Family:
When I started a game, ball was launched into shooter lane. I could view ball for about half a second before it "sank" through the shooter lane and down beneath it into invisibility. Launching ball from there did nothing.

Stern Spider Man:
Launched ball, but it got stuck beneath the wireform at end of shooter lane just as it exits into playfield. Pretty sure I had something similar happen with the regular 10.6 VPVR, but I was able to at least get the ball past that point.

Demo Man:
Some strange ball physics behavior here. I was able to launch a ball into play, but collision with objects was wonky. When ball hit left flipper, the rubber had a brick like quality to it. Seemed to suck all the ball spin out of ball, but retained bounce. Also, ball falling into playfield scoops felt a little off.

I reverted back to 10.6 VPVR after the above experience. Totally appreciate you guys' work! This update didn't seem ready for "prime-time" on my particular machine. The new interface looked really interesting!

#14 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

This is due to the "also note that the current 10.7 alpha is buggy due to some of the my physics code changes"

By now its fixed in VPX

#15 Caligula_

Caligula_

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

Nothing spectacular. I did some experiments with Embree, as this now features collision detection routines, and thus needed to change some stuff and clean up things under the hood to make that work.

But turns out, that Embree can for some tables even be slower than our quad/kd-tree implementations (as these have more top level information and are also pretty well optimized).

Apart from that i (once again) try to unify more of the physics code. But it's a bottomless pit.

But at least it looks like some tweaks may survive that will improve corner cases and have less issues.

Embree is R3987 and I only updated to R3986. So VPVR is already outdated again.

#16 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

The Embree port is undefd, as it can be slower, so that is not a huge problem, but maybe you could include 3991 quickly, cause this fixes a regression (what Ben Logan reported) from 3984.

#17 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I had been holding off bringing VPVR up to date myself - VPX 10.7 has been in a fairly unstable state since Fuzzel began some UI reworkings.  I was going to re-visit it once VPX enters its public beta stage, which is usually an indication from them that they feel it's in a usable state. 

Good to hear you were able to get it current though!  Cheers! 

#18 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

Agreed — cheers to Caligula! Always encouraging to see VPVR related forward momentum...

#19 iryan2

iryan2

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

• Favorite Pinball: White Water

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for answering my questions Caligula, I know you're busy so I really appreciate it!

#20 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

I also diffed VPVR and VPX Rev 3986 yesterday and found some minor differences/merge issues, some of them could also lead to glitches. I made a merge request for you, Caligula, on SF.