bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Star Gazer, Whirlwind, Frontier

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT. This table is my work and was never authorized to mod. It wasn't even originally uploaded to this site. Not only has it been modified and uploaded without my permission but it isn't titled or categorized as a mod, implying it is still associated with me, AND it is even iterated (1.3) as if it is an official update to my version.

There is a basic code of conduct in this community and you have violated it, and not even with a valuable update. You've just blown out some of the lighting and called it yours.

BTW, I've never denied anyone permission to mod before. I think modding is a cool and useful part of this community, but I request that permission be asked first and that a mod release be labeled properly so as not to be confused with an original work. It is a simple and basic piece of etiquette.

#3 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

Not cool "bigus1"!!! Please understand the "code of conduct" before uploading anything else here, or "there". This is a major slap in the face to the producers around here.

Very well stated "Bord". As a fellow author, I support every single word. When I saw this about an hour ago, I had a feeling that excrement was about to hit the fan, cause I knew it was your table.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#4 -=Kees=-

-=Kees=-

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Band Wagon (Bally 1965)

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

As a novice table author I know how much effort it takes to create an EM table for example. think at creating or improving graphics, writing scripts, creating backglasses etc.
Most of my tables were created by Leon Spalding in VP8 and earlier so Leon Spalding get my credits then and has inspired me a lot to make VPX tables. Some of my tables are created from scratch.

Changing physics and part of the graphics is easy. I did it with many tables I have downloaded, but never published it, because I assume every VP user knows how to change.

Important is to mention the sources and/or credits in at least the script files.

with kind regards,

-=Kees=-

Edited by -=Kees=-, 17 July 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#5 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

Frankly, I think this whole damn thing is uncool. There are literally DOZENS of unauthorized JP MODs on every other site, I don't hear JP bitching, do you?

There's a TON of tables using my resources, without credit, you hear me bitching?

Every single table is 100% reliant on ALL the work others did before any of you became authors in the first place. I'm tired of this shit.

Without VPF, NONE of this shit would exist, and yet it's not uploaded here in the first place? Many of you agreed to maintain your files here and don't. It's just too much bullshit to address in a single post.

Pin'two'dmd is an unauthorized MOD of Russ' work. When that comes down everywhere, then I'll believe this is actually about ethics. Until then, all I feel this is is just wanting exclusivity to a particular site. Well, bullshit on that. We didn't work our asses off putting this site together for it to be leeched for resources without people giving back.

Wanna know why I'm not around much?? THIS right here. It's not a cool community anymore when everyone's running around calling 'mine' on shit that didn't belong to them/wasn't their work in the first place!

JP, destruk, TAB, myself, and pretty much every author involved in making this hobby what it is today has asked, if you want to use our work, get permission AND share it here. That pretty much covers the surface of most things that are wrong with this picture. Feel free to disagree, that's your right. Just remember to be civil.

Thank you.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#6 bord

bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

I'm not here defending any of that except a person's right to upload his work to whatever site he chooses. I've always tried hard to follow the rules in all of my work and would defend JP if he were asking his stuff to be removed from any other site. I'm just here asking the same courtesy I'd give you: remove this file.

#7 bigus1

bigus1

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

I'm really sorry, bord. I don't know wtf I'm doing. I thought open source was like Wiki where everybody collaborates. I'm not thinking that I can adjust the day/night slider and call something my own and upload it. TBH, I'm working on 20 or 30 machines at a time, and I'm flat-out remembering what I've done on each table.

I don't do this kind of thing ordinarily. I don't do social media, post comment/reviews, rarely use my phone, don't really interact with other humans at all - probably for the best, it would seem.

It just would've been nice to get all this helpful advice while I was begging for it, all last week. And everyone's banging-on about contacting authors blah-blah - Yeah, well, HOW??  Nobody replies to anything. I began to think it was a zombie website so I went to the other one.

If I polish your Ferrari, I'm not claiming ownership but I'm still proud of my work. If I could upload anonymously, that would be my preference.

So, once again, sorry bord, I meant no harm and I hope we can be friends in this hobby.

#8 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Mr. Walnuts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:26 AM

The issue of which site to upload to is even way far before my time. That is something I also had to learn the hard way. Bord is 100% right about the mod. You should always ask permission before you mod someones table. I even ask when it says no permission, thats just common courtesy. Uploading a mod and making it a version in sequence with the original author is also very bad business. This was a hard but valuable lesson. I think the slate needs to be wiped clean with these tables and bigus1 can start over uploading with permission.

Bigus1, if you are modding 30 tables then you are doing personal mods. If you are building 30 tables at once then you are either the best table author in existence or they are crap builds. There is a big difference. We upload new tables or mods with significant change of visuals or performance. If you are nodding for your personal preference then be proud that its on Your machine.

#9 bigus1

bigus1

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:06 AM

God, if only you could delete you uploads. Dracula was added to a batch upload by mistake. I agree that I've done stuff-all to this table anyway. When I say I'm working on tables, I mean I've downloaded a bunch of faulty tables that I'm trying to fix. I get the shits with one and move to another and then back again. I change practically every table to my personal taste as soon as I get them and I'm not so stupid to think it's an upgrade.  I only want to upload tables with significant changes.

Working properly is my main thrust. It's just confusing sometimes and I'm trying to do the right thing.

I'm just a newbie, so please give me a little slack, because I'm really not that committed and will happily return to being just a leech.

BTW, I haven't got a clue about version numbering - pure guesswork. Most of this is voodoo to me. I've only been into it for a few months.

Also, what's an acceptable waiting period before deeming an author "uncontactable". I mean, some folks just don't reply to messages.

#10 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:17 AM

Noah: There are lot's of tables release here and here only and that's A-OK, people can choose what they want to do with their work within the VP community. I said VP community, not VPF community.  VPF is a leading site within this community and I don't imagine where we would be if you hadn't brought it back from the old site, but it is not THE community which you always seem to imply.  The titles released exclusively here are very cool and IMHO I personally would wish that all sites hosted all tables.  That's a pipe dream that won't happen so it is what it is, lines are drawn politically both in the real world and in VP world too.  It truly sucks when these lines are thrown a bit light on them to ensure we know they are still there

Taking the opportunity to make this about VPF, respect and about Russ' awesome PinDMD is wrong.  This is an author rightly asking both the new author and the site admin to abide by this site's own rules.  That's all this is.  If you want to call BS, whatever, but no matter where this was posted, Bord would have said the same thing.

BTW I 100% approve and support JPS request on his mods that should be posted here.  It's a totally reasonable request and just like Bord' request is clear. 

Your incredible politicized post will probably end up having more tables posted elsewhere instead of here. There is nothing progressive about your post that will entire authors to post here, it will just draw the lines thicker and clearer. 

If you want things to improve, create a thread that can give you the information you need:  "What reason do some authors prefer to not post their tables here at all".  Maybe the answers will confirm what you think, maybe they'll go in a different direction.  FYI to remove some of the assumptions, it's not all about politics and policies: I've been told by a couple of authors they have issues with limited PM mailbox which makes communication a pain in the ass and delays in approving uploads as some of the reasons why they don't bother

#11 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:25 AM

God, if only you could delete you uploads. Dracula was added to a batch upload by mistake. I agree that I've done stuff-all to this table anyway. When I say I'm working on tables, I mean I've downloaded a bunch of faulty tables that I'm trying to fix. I get the shits with one and move to another and then back again. I change practically every table to my personal taste as soon as I get them and I'm not so stupid to think it's an upgrade.  I only want to upload tables with significant changes.

Working properly is my main thrust. It's just confusing sometimes and I'm trying to do the right thing.

I'm just a newbie, so please give me a little slack, because I'm really not that committed and will happily return to being just a leech.

BTW, I haven't got a clue about version numbering - pure guesswork. Most of this is voodoo to me. I've only been into it for a few months.

Also, what's an acceptable waiting period before deeming an author "uncontactable". I mean, some folks just don't reply to messages.

Usually dropping a comment in the table specific thread will get you replies and for minor fixes it's usually enough to just point them out and the original author will take a look.

#12 bigus1

bigus1

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:45 AM

I've spent my whole day apologizing

Nobody replies to messages

I need a new hobby

I was into RC planes and helis and drones up til 6 mths ago, but my eyes went

Edited by bigus1, 18 July 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#13 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

Frankly, I think this whole damn thing is uncool. There are literally DOZENS of unauthorized JP MODs on every other site, I don't hear JP bitching, do you?

But JP - after the Question for that - gave Permission.

MODs are ok, but i have to say, it should be provided to the "Main Author", to stay at One Download Source - and not 100 "Sub Versions", it is a No-Go at all.

Otherwise: bigus, i really like your Works, for sure that is ok - but try the Way to the Authors.

Edited by STAT, 18 July 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#14 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,059 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think your intentions were good. VP is a great hobby, which you seem to enjoy greatly.

Now that the rules/guidelines have been shared, I hope you continue contributing to this hobby... with permission, of course ;)

#15 bord

bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

bigus1 and I have corresponded privately. I have no doubt his intentions were fine and that he has something to offer the VP community. Would have been great to avoid the resulting kerfuffle but it has certainly been an illuminating discussion, hasn't it?

#16 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

Noah: There are lot's of tables release here and here only and that's A-OK, people can choose what they want to do with their work within the VP community. I said VP community, not VPF community.  VPF is a leading site within this community and I don't imagine where we would be if you hadn't brought it back from the old site, but it is not THE community which you always seem to imply.  The titles released exclusively here are very cool and IMHO I personally would wish that all sites hosted all tables.  That's a pipe dream that won't happen so it is what it is, lines are drawn politically both in the real world and in VP world too.  It truly sucks when these lines are thrown a bit light on them to ensure we know they are still there

Taking the opportunity to make this about VPF, respect and about Russ' awesome PinDMD is wrong.  This is an author rightly asking both the new author and the site admin to abide by this site's own rules.  That's all this is.  If you want to call BS, whatever, but no matter where this was posted, Bord would have said the same thing.

BTW I 100% approve and support JPS request on his mods that should be posted here.  It's a totally reasonable request and just like Bord' request is clear. 

Your incredible politicized post will probably end up having more tables posted elsewhere instead of here. There is nothing progressive about your post that will entire authors to post here, it will just draw the lines thicker and clearer. 

If you want things to improve, create a thread that can give you the information you need:  "What reason do some authors prefer to not post their tables here at all".  Maybe the answers will confirm what you think, maybe they'll go in a different direction.  FYI to remove some of the assumptions, it's not all about politics and policies: I've been told by a couple of authors they have issues with limited PM mailbox which makes communication a pain in the ass and delays in approving uploads as some of the reasons why they don't bother

Hi Rob,

My post was far from political, but you've done a fine job of politicizing it. Bravo!

This is about the way these new members are being treated when they're just trying to do the right thing ... give back.

What I'm seeing is harsh and unfair treatment of our members by members who don't even contribute here. That's unacceptable, imo. There's a level of decorum that should be used in these matters, and in two straight weeks, it's been ... ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Am I the only one who can put himself in this guy's shoes? Really? Imagine how he must have felt when his excitement to share turned into ABSOLUTELY NOT. How demeaning.

To make this even more inappropriate, a recent MOD was pulled down in just this fashion, and when I asked if they used another author's base table, they assured me, absolutely not, so I decided to run the table. The VERY first thing I see? "Table by: JPSalas"! Wtf?

So, you see, this isn't political, this is about community. If this is the takedown approach that's going to be taken in the future, it's going to be extremely destructive to new members having anything to do with table authoring. ALL of us started by modding first, right?

So, please, don't take this out of context. This isn't about anything more than, if you use VPF as a resource to build a table, the only right thing to do is give back, and that's all the OP was trying to do.

Each table, no matter how much you think it's 'yours' took 20 years and hundreds of people to make possible. I think people are forgetting that.

Now, to address your 'community' comment, this site was started by actual founders of this hobby TAB, destruk, and a whole host of others made this site what it is and collectively christened it the community site. You can agree or disagree, but you really can't argue this site is the legacy of the who's who in this hobby.

And finally, yes, PinDMD was ripped off. Want proof? I have plenty, and I'll be happy to post it for all to see.

Thank you.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#17 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Mr. Walnuts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Bord has every right to say where he wants his tables uploaded just as JP has every right to only upload his tables here. No one is asking him to upload his tables to VPB. There is unfortunately back history that new people aren’t aware of and sometimes we have to learn the hard way. When Bord asked for this table to be taken down it should have. Then bigus1 and Bord could have worked it out and then rereleased it the appropriate way. This was a tough lesson to learn but a valuable one. As for JPs tables being used without their permission, that is not right and should have been addressed when it was done. The only difference I see is Bord and many other people that contribute at VPB are also members here and contributing here. Noah, do you contribute over at VPB? Wouldn’t it be nice if all this was squashed and each site was able to contribute to the community in their own ways but all work together. Maybe there is more to it and it will never happen, who knows.

#18 bigus1

bigus1

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

And lets not forget we're all pinching roms

And I'm branded as a thief on this table

Me and bord are cool about stuff

Edited by bigus1, 18 July 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#19 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Mr. Walnuts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

Bigus1, you are not a thief and no one is saying that. If Bord says you guys are good, then 98% of the community is good too. Keep doing what you are doing by contributing to the community but apply what you have learned. No one is mad at you, this other stuff goes back farther that you and I combined.

#20 bigus1

bigus1

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, but someone who's just new clicks on Dracula and sees Bigus the thief stolen content

I received bord's permission to mod, albeit backwards, and he's gonna let this one slide