#1 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

After building a virtual pinball cab back in 2013, I finally got around to trying DOF. After seeing all of Terry Red's videos, who wouldn't give it a shot?  His work has been stellar.

I finally set up a working cabinet.xml files that used 2 strips of addressable LEDs (left and right playfield).  However, whenever I started a VPX table that utilized DOF, the Teensy 3.2 activity light would flash rapidly (indicating activity) but the LED strips would turn bright white and stay that way.

I could not find any software fixes for the issue.

I ran across an odd post in one forum that mentioned "bridging pins 15 and 16" on the Teensy 3.2 to solve this issue.

Attached File  Teensy 32.jpg   370.25KB   79 downloads

I snipped a small piece of lead wire from a resistor and soldered it between the Teensy's pins 15 and 16.  I could have just used a blob of solder, but I wanted the potential fix to be more easily reversible.

In any event, after connecting pins 15 and 16 on the Teensy, the next time I loaded a table DOF worked.  I was floored.

I have no idea why this works.  I don't know exactly who solved this problem initially.

I hope that this can help someone else.

BTW - If anyone knows who found this solution originally, please let me know and I'll credit them here for their work.  After all....they deserve the thanks.

Edited by Phazer51, 22 January 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#2 crashb4

crashb4

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Favorite Pinball: twilight zone

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Phazer. Had this same problem. Was about to pull my hair out. You da man.

#3 kevbach

kevbach

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: playboy

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys, I finally got my led's to a point where I could fire them up and also seem to have the "all white" problem.   Do you guys have the octoWS2811 soldered to your teensy board as well?  Im assuming I can still solder pins 15 and 16 together even though they are being occupied by the octo's pins? Thanks! 

#4 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

Hey guys, I finally got my led's to a point where I could fire them up and also seem to have the "all white" problem.   Do you guys have the octoWS2811 soldered to your teensy board as well?  Im assuming I can still solder pins 15 and 16 together even though they are being occupied by the octo's pins? Thanks!

I connected my Teensy pins 15 and 16 from the top of the board while it was already inserted into sockets on the octo board.

#5 mon72

mon72

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:27 AM

That answers my question...

I was wondering if I had to fold those two pins to the side.

Thanks  Phazer51

Mon72

#6 Phazer51

Phazer51

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

That answers my question...

I was wondering if I had to fold those two pins to the side.

Thanks  Phazer51

Mon72

Keep us updated with your results.

#7 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 372 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

I can say that pins 15 and 16 definitely need to be connected together for the software to work. Here are the three reasons:

1. I created my own version of the OctoWS2811 board - after all it is just a socket for the Teensy, a 74HC245 transceiver, RJ45 sockets and some 100 Ohm resistors. See "My Take on Pinscape Expansion boards". The simple LED blinking programs worked fine but were slow at updating a long stream of LEDs. Once I downloaded the TeensyStripController software, 70% of the LEDs were white without even using DOF. Bridging pins 15-16 solved that problem.

2. The TeensyStripController software uses a heavily modified version of the original PJRC OctoWS2811 library. But both libraries need pins 15 and 16 connected to correctly utilize the high-speed DMA features of the MK20DX256 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4.

3. I do not have a OctoWS2811 board but the pins 15 and 16 have been connected on this board (and that change was made several years ago). The OctoWS2811 schematic shows them connected.

I am using the Beta.V1.02.1601021351.hex.zip code as the only difference is support for the LED. The flashing of the LED gives a little bit of feedback that it is working correctly, waiting for data and downloading data from the PC. There is no need to use the older Alpha code.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros). Maker of electronic boards for virtual pinball cabs such as Pinscape All-in-One, Pinscape Lite, Plunger Kit, Rotary Encoder, Fuse board, Resistor board, Pinball Addressable LEDs (PAL) board, and RGB Flipper/Magnasave board with clear buttons. See my home page for more details and shipment status in the era of Covid-19.

signature0.png

#8 MajorFrenchy

MajorFrenchy

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 255 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: The Flintstones

Contributor

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:16 PM

I can say that pins 15 and 16 definitely need to be connected together for the software to work. Here are the three reasons:

1. I created my own version of the OctoWS2811 board - after all it is just a socket for the Teensy, a 74HC245 transceiver, RJ45 sockets and some 100 Ohm resistors. See "My Take on Pinscape Expansion boards". The simple LED blinking programs worked fine but were slow at updating a long stream of LEDs. Once I downloaded the TeensyStripController software, 70% of the LEDs were white without even using DOF. Bridging pins 15-16 solved that problem.

2. The TeensyStripController software uses a heavily modified version of the original PJRC OctoWS2811 library. But both libraries need pins 15 and 16 connected to correctly utilize the high-speed DMA features of the MK20DX256 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4.

3. I do not have a OctoWS2811 board but the pins 15 and 16 have been connected on this board (and that change was made several years ago). The OctoWS2811 schematic shows them connected.

I am using the Beta.V1.02.1601021351.hex.zip code as the only difference is support for the LED. The flashing of the LED gives a little bit of feedback that it is working correctly, waiting for data and downloading data from the PC. There is no need to use the older Alpha code.

That seems to be quite the setup.

As far as The Alpha Firmware that 's the one I need. I tested a few teensy and Dot matrix and was getting weird artifacts. Definitely have to solder pin 15-16 but I needed Alpha Firmware.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#9 dramaone

dramaone

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: star wars

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

After building a virtual pinball cab back in 2013, I finally got around to trying DOF. After seeing all of Terry Red's videos, who wouldn't give it a shot?  His work has been stellar.

I finally set up a working cabinet.xml files that used 2 strips of addressable LEDs (left and right playfield).  However, whenever I started a VPX table that utilized DOF, the Teensy 3.2 activity light would flash rapidly (indicating activity) but the LED strips would turn bright white and stay that way.

I could not find any software fixes for the issue.

I ran across an odd post in one forum that mentioned "bridging pins 15 and 16" on the Teensy 3.2 to solve this issue.

attachicon.gif Teensy 32.jpg

I snipped a small piece of lead wire from a resistor and soldered it between the Teensy's pins 15 and 16.  I could have just used a blob of solder, but I wanted the potential fix to be more easily reversible.

In any event, after connecting pins 15 and 16 on the Teensy, the next time I loaded a table DOF worked.  I was floored.

I have no idea why this works.  I don't know exactly who solved this problem initially.

I hope that this can help someone else.

BTW - If anyone knows who found this solution originally, please let me know and I'll credit them here for their work.  After all....they deserve the thanks.

I currently have the white led issue and am unable to resolve it.

Currently i have not moved onto DOF config at all.

So I have a teensy with Octo, followed frenchy's guide ( thankyou - very helpful ) and all sketches work fine, plasma, fire , rainbow etc so I assume that data and power is ok. I have only set up one strip at moment on the right of playfield.

When I upload teensystripcontoller immediatley the led's go white and stay white. If i press teensy reset button I get a small flicker and some colours show for a micro second and back to white. I figure reset, restarts the sketch sequence.

I have tried 1.01 and 1.02 firmware, soldered pins 15 and 16 together, tried powering from opposite end of strip ( somebody advised )

powered both ends!

Tried different usb.

So i assume that due to other sketches working fine that data and power are good. But teensystripcontroller sketch wont work.

I could go on and config in DOF but even if this worked Im guessing when DOF is not triggering it through front end or tables then the lights will be always on bright white?

Any ideas?  :( SOLVED - bad soldering of pins 15 16

Edited by dramaone, 07 February 2020 - 02:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dof, all white, addressable led, teensy pins 15 16