• 2,818 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

Beta phase is closed now!

You will find the release version here: https://www.vpforums...&showfile=11573

or as standalone exe file here: https://www.vpforums...&showfile=11572

Have fun!

Edited by fuzzel, 06 October 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

wtf ... no mention of POV and VBS auto loading ? Is it left out ? Not mean to look as a negative comment, but, confused.

Edited by Thalamus, 31 October 2018 - 04:52 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#3 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

Not sure what you're expected but this is just the first beta version. What exactly do you want to have in VP?

#4 bord

bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Star Gazer, Whirlwind, Frontier

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

So if I'm reading this right a playfield mesh will support basic physical holes!? I can hardly believe what I am reading...

#5 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

hmmm, most every table I try to open crashes the program.  occasionally one works.  this crash is trying to open the built in blank table.

https://www.dropbox..../crash.zip?dl=0

#6 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

How about saucer physics?

So if we can now have a prim playfield. Nice saucer physics can be hacked in...no problem.

But any chance of improving them at the kicker "object" level so all tables can benefit.

Canr stress this enough! The single biggest un-natural looking thing i hear from folks who play my cab is how binary looking the saucer physics look.
Will the prim playfield support reflections?

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#7 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

hmmm, most every table I try to open crashes the program.  occasionally one works.  this crash is trying to open the built in blank table.

You have a problem with the FreeImage.dll the crash comes from there. Please try to use the older one that comes with VP 10.5 and see if that works better.

How about saucer physics?

So if we can now have a prim playfield. Nice saucer physics can be hacked in...no problem.

But any chance of improving them at the kicker "object" level so all tables can benefit.

Canr stress this enough! The single biggest un-natural looking thing i hear from folks who play my cab is how binary looking the saucer physics look.
Will the prim playfield support reflections?

The prim playfield supports reflection and ball reflections like the normal playfield does.

Take a look at the example table that comes with VPX (not the blank table, the other one). I added a prim playfield there and cut a hole where the saucer is placed.

To get nice saucer physics you have to do the following:

1. create a prim playfield and cut holes in it where the saucers should be placed

2. place primitive saucer meshes into the holes

3. place an invisible kicker with a smaller radius in the center of the saucer primitive and set the kicker to legacy

4. enjoy :)

I wrote some informatio about the prim playfield in the changelog.txt:

o to create a mesh playfield create a new blank table and export it as obj file.
    o open the obj file in Blender and edit the playfield mesh(mesh name is "Table1")
    o cut holes into the playfield where you want to place kickers, VUKs and so on
    o export the modified playfield mesh as a separate obj file and import it to VPX
    o in VPX rename the playfield primitive to "playfield_mesh"
    o the playfield primitive doesn't need an image and a material. VPX will use the texture and material from the playfield properties.

Note: VP can only handle a simple mesh plate with holes as a playfield. Adding other complicated meshes to the playfield (e.g. merge kicker meshes with the playfield) aren't supported.
          Also the playfield_mesh is a special primitive, the core physics settings are taken from the table physics properties but you can also set "Has Hit Event" and set a "Hit Threshold"
          if you want to be informed that the ball has hit the playfield. Settings like "Toy", "Collidable" or "Overwrite Material Settings" won't work for a playfield_mesh.
    See example table (File -> New -> Example Table) how you can use it.

Edited by fuzzel, 31 October 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#8 bord

bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

The prim playfield supports reflection and ball reflections like the normal playfield does.

To get nice saucer physics you have to do the following:

1. create a prim playfield and cut holes in it where the saucers should be placed

2. place primitive saucer meshes into the holes

3. place an invisible kicker with a smaller radius in the center of the saucer primitive and set the kicker to legacy

4. enjoy :)

Man, it's not even Christmas. I cannot possibly say THANK YOU enough. This was the biggest physics hangup on my list.

#9 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

You have a problem with the FreeImage.dll the crash comes from there. Please try to use the older one that comes with VP 10.5 and see if that works better.

Thanks.  it does seem to work fine with the older FreeImage.dll any idea why the new one would be a problem?  win10x64 build 1607 (yes a little old build, work computer, wonder if that's the issue).

#10 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:35 PM

How about some "global" adjustments, maybe in the video options.

Can we get:

• Global PF reflections on/off
  • Global PF reflection strength
  • Global game play difficulty
  • Global reflect elements on playfield on/off
  • Global reflect objects on playfield strength

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#11 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:08 PM

The saucer physics in Cyberpez’ and Wrd’s new Haunted House are the best yet. If this new update helps authors create those kind of saucer physics settings more easily, we’re going next level here. Thanks, Fuzzel!
Bord’s Air Aces saucer physics are great, too. Really looking forward to more of these.

#12 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

wtf ... no mention of POV and VBS auto loading ? Is it left out ? Not mean to look as a negative comment, but, confused.

DJRobX did not add this to the changelog, so here you go:

- new table script manipulation features
  '-extractvbs' parameter: "VPinballX -extractvbs "tablefile.vpx"" extracts the script and exits
  VPX will also automatically replace the table script with a vbs file with the same table name (similar to the existing pov file functionality)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Due to

- remove all table encryption, old locked tables automatically unlock now

the file version had to be increased to get rid of all the old/unnecessary madness, so tables saved with 10.6 won't open with older versions!

PLUS: i do not want to 100% guarantee that the changed file saving is production ready, so PLEASE ALWAYS KEEP AROUND WIP BACKUPS until we can be sure that this is really 100% bug free, i.e. test this as much as you can, please.

#13 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

also these two changes were missing in the changelog:

- fix crash in collection manager if a collection is moved up/down

- fix ball decal splotches if only a global ball image was set in the video preferences

#14 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:56 PM

Already a huge step forward for me as well then. Thank you so much @toxie and @fuzzel !

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#15 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

One last request...for today. Can we please get a hot key that can enable/disable manual ball control? That would speed up testing tables being developed.

#16 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

Already a huge step forward for me as well then. Thank you so much @toxie and @fuzzel !

..and @djrobx (and @nfozzy for updated fast flips)  ;)

#17 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:32 PM

A new beta cycle?  On halloween?  That's spooktacular! :)

One last request...for today. Can we please get a hot key that can enable/disable manual ball control? That would speed up testing tables being developed.

Just enable it full time in editor settings.  On your "development" machine there is no real reason to turn it off.   The left flipper key releases control. 

Edited by DJRobX, 31 October 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#18 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:34 PM

Sweet. Will check it out tonight.

#19 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:54 PM

There is a problem with the prim playfield if you start the table more than once. You have to reload the table every time to get the correct behavior. A fix will come tomorrow.

#20 bord

bord

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:17 AM

Thank goodness. Thought I was losing my mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta, 10.6 beta