#861 mouja

mouja

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 14 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: F14-Tomcat

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

Slydog43, I'm in the same situation, CV1, DK2 and DK1 in stock also, so much money if I had sold them before.

Rawnei and gear323, I hope you will post your impressions, I was really not expecting a visual improvement like this. VRPR benefits from the bigger vertical FOV also.

#862 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

Rawnei and gear323, I hope you will post your impressions, I was really not expecting a visual improvement like this. VRPR benefits from the bigger vertical FOV also.

I spent the afternoon setting everything up, just tried it briefly don't have much time to play around with VR today so will give an update later. :)

Initial impression coming from Rift CV1 is very good, much clearer image and the sound is amazing.

#863 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

nice to hear!

#864 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: All

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

My Valve Index came and I played a bunch of different games for a few hours.  I had a DK1, DK2, CV1 and a Quest to compare to. 

1. The tracking.  Lighthouse tracking is just amazing.   Much better than the 3 sensor or even the four sensor Oculus tracking on the CV1. I bought an extra lighthouse but I don't even think i'm going to set it up.  With the two lighthouses I have better tracking than I have ever had. 

2. The audio. Really good. Much better than the Rift S or the Qwest.  Has some bass but its debatable if it is better than the CV1 audio which is also really good.   If I hold the speakers just a little closer to my ear then they sound much better and I'd say better than CV1.  I assume they had to make them a little further out than they really wanted to so that people with big dumbo like ears would not touch them.  =)  Kinda wish I had the option to adjust them closer to my ears but still not touching.  The sound goes up plenty loud that is for sure. I'm playing at about 65-70% volume.   ***EDIT*** The speakers do move up, down and clockwise and counter clockwise but don't move closer or further from your ears. Once adjusting the speakers so they are centered on the ear canal they do really sound great.  

3. The FOV.  It is bigger but not really by all that much. Expect larger but don't expect a huge difference here.  I"m sure everyone would agree that the more FOV the better!

4. The resolution. This is the hardest to judge for me.  It is much better than CV1 that is for sure but depending on what you play it is less noticeable than others.  For example, a game like beatsaber it does not make a WOW difference (well except maybe for the walls you have to avoid and duck under etc).  But in other games like Project cars 2 you can really notice how much more resolution there is and can see much further down the track.

5. VPX VR......  This one was really surprising to me.  Honestly this really shows the resolution increase more than any game I had tried so far (although i have only tried 5 games so far) .  The tables look so much better than CV1.  The backglases really look much cleaner and the details are much better. 

6 . The index controllers. They feel good but different so there is some getting used to them.   At first the finger tracking was really bad but the longer I use them the better they seem to get.  Now that they are tracking each finger correctly I'm almost afraid that if I have my wife try then they are going to take awhile to adapt to me again.   Maybe it will work just fine but have not had anyone else try it  yet. I wonder if it saves some profiles for people without telling you... 

7. The blacks - Well they are not as deep of blacks as CV1 that is for sure. Unless you have had another headset with deep blacks to compare to in the past you would probably not notice.  I'm sure after some time i'll not notice anymore.  For me  it is a non issue but maybe if you played a game that was very dark it would bother some people. 

8. Comfort - I found the CV1 pretty comfortable but the Oculus Quest was not comfortable for me.  I ended up doing the Vive audio strap mod on the Quest and that made it much better for me.  I recommend that mod to anyone that wants better sound and better comfort on the Quest.   The index is very comfortable for me and probably more than the Rift CV1. 

9. Heat - Well after playing for a couple hours straight, the Index is warm in the front.  Warmer than i remember the Rift getting but it's not like it is super hot or an issue. Maybe I just have not played the Rift non stop for hours in a long time though  :)

10. Quality - everything on the headset and controllers feels like it is made with quality in mind. 

Overall. Just for Project cars and Pinball alone I'm glad I bought it.   It is much better than CV1. 

Oh one last thing, I'm running a 1080TI and I tried VPXVR with 120Hz and my computer could not handle it.  Maybe if i were to disable some reflections or shadows or lower SS settings  it would be ok but for now I'm using 90Hz.  I will try to fine tune things later after trying some more games.  .  

Well back to VR....

Edited by gear323, 30 June 2019 - 04:14 AM.

#865 freshflesh1

freshflesh1

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 21 posts

• Favorite Pinball: twilight zone

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

I can't seem to change the AA, it makes no difference when I adjust the settings. I've changed then within VPXVR and nvidia, no difference. The thing is my Index doesn't show in nvidia and thus doesn't in VPXVR display settings, only my monitor does. The highest my resolution goes in VPXVR is 1920x1080. Can someone let me know if their hmd shows in the nvidia control panel please, as this might be the issue.
On a side note, thanks to the guys who made this happen!

#866 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

It doesn't work that way, the resolution shown is just the desktop monitor. Whatever Steam VR has set up for resolution, it should use. The only thing you can control is the one AA setting but feel free to super sample in Steam VR it will use it

#867 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

I can't seem to change the AA, it makes no difference when I adjust the settings. I've changed then within VPXVR and nvidia, no difference. The thing is my Index doesn't show in nvidia and thus doesn't in VPXVR display settings, only my monitor does. The highest my resolution goes in VPXVR is 1920x1080. Can someone let me know if their hmd shows in the nvidia control panel please, as this might be the issue.
On a side note, thanks to the guys who made this happen!

Traditional AA methods are no good for VR so those settings are ignored when you play VPVR in VR, instead you can use Supersampling which means the image will be rendered in a higher resolution then downsampled, you can either set supersampling in VPVR or in SteamVR, try to avoid setting it in both since it will become additive, around x1.5-1.6 supersampling is usually good, higher than that it's up for debate if the image quality gets better but you will notice the performance hit.

#868 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

Sorry Rawnei I forgot you guys added that slider right in vpxvr!

#869 MrHorseshoe

MrHorseshoe

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:46 PM

Just found out about this addon. Amazing work! I downloaded the TAS VR table, but I don't see a DMD in the headset. I did install the VPM 3.2 beta and did default setup already. Other than that, it plays perfectly.

#870 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:19 AM

Just found out about this addon. Amazing work! I downloaded the TAS VR table, but I don't see a DMD in the headset. I did install the VPM 3.2 beta and did default setup already. Other than that, it plays perfectly.

If you have the latest version the DMD should work without you needed to do anything..  Did you download this one?   https://vpinball.com...-family-vr-vpx/

#871 MrHorseshoe

MrHorseshoe

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

If you have the latest version the DMD should work without you needed to do anything..  Did you download this one?   https://vpinball.com...-family-vr-vpx/

I ended up having to re-install VPX from scratch, but it works now. This really is amazing. Kudos to the devs.

Edited by MrHorseshoe, 02 July 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#872 freshflesh1

freshflesh1

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

Thanks guys I'll give that a try.

#873 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:01 AM

So Quiet here lately.  Everyone must be busy playing pinball  :)

#874 Dez88

Dez88

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: NBA Fastbreak

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

Like yourself, loving the Index.

Your totally right about the looks on the Index, one that's jumped the highest, looks amazing with near zero screen door compared to the Vive.

White Waters playfield is practicly near identical to it's physical counterpart at 2.0 with the indexes native res. 

Edited by Dez88, 10 July 2019 - 11:19 PM.

#875 tonedus

tonedus

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars Data East

• PS3 Gamer Tag: tonedus

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

I only found out about the VR side of Visual Pinball this week.  So I have been setting them up to stream to my Quest.

I have found that a lot of the ones I wanted didnt show the DMD.  I have since got quite a few of the FSS tables which play great and look stunning in VR with all of them showing the DMD.

Cannot believe that it took me this long to find out about VP in VR.

#876 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:09 AM

I only found out about the VR side of Visual Pinball this week.  So I have been setting them up to stream to my Quest.

I have found that a lot of the ones I wanted didnt show the DMD.  I have since got quite a few of the FSS tables which play great and look stunning in VR with all of them showing the DMD.

Cannot believe that it took me this long to find out about VP in VR.

If you read through this thread you can find directions on how to fix the DMD on many tables yourself.  

#877 freshflesh1

freshflesh1

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

I've seen videos of different environments/play rooms. It's this just work in progress or an option in the settings I'm missing? Cheers.

#878 otro5

otro5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Lady Luck (1976)

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

Dear Calígula,

Any chance to have (in short term) Backglass working on EM tables?

Thanks a lot.

#879 hlr53

hlr53

Pinball Fan

• Gold Supporter
  • 683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 1964 Williams Palooka Joe

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:46 PM

Dear Calígula,

Any chance to have (in short term) Backglass working on EM tables?

Thanks a lot.

Yep, I have a TON of EM tables. Obviously, not an easy solution? Is it because of the B2S server? Wish I could help but SWAMPED at work.

Former Cab: 40" Haier, 28" I-INC, i7-6700, 1080 GPU, v3DMD, 4D7 solenoids. Altec-Lansing speakers and sub. Artwork by Stuzza. Printing by Brad Bowman. VR HP reverb

#880 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

I've seen videos of different environments/play rooms. It's this just work in progress or an option in the settings I'm missing? Cheers.

It's only one table so far and that's The Addams Family because 3rdaxis made a custom version of it with a room, the room has to be created in the editor for each table.

Yep, I have a TON of EM tables. Obviously, not an easy solution? Is it because of the B2S server? Wish I could help but SWAMPED at work.

I don't play EM tables myself so I don't know how the score display normally works in those but VPVR features the same functionality as VPX in terms of DMD i.e textbox and flasher. If the tables are dependent on b2s for showing a score then I guess only way today is to capture it via OVRDrop (or the older free variant OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal) which is kinda clunky. The current b2s functionality that is built into VPVR to display a backglass pretty much just displays the image from the backglass, it doesn't handle animations etc yet.

Edit: If there are FSS recreations that features a backglass with score built into the table in the editor those will work fine as the author created each light by hand on those tables.

Edited by Rawnei, 18 July 2019 - 06:12 AM.