blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: WCS94

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

You could build a tabletop pinsim w/o legs like I did. Pretty small und works very well. The mentioned accelerometer makes the nudge happen.

Edited by blindpeser, 27 May 2019 - 03:31 PM.

#662 gear323

gear323

VPXVR is awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: All

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

You could build a tabletop pinsim w/o legs like I did. Pretty small und works very well. The mentioned accelerometer makes the nudge happen.

Exactly this, You could even make a Pinsim that was the size of a shoebox or maybe a little smaller if you wanted to.  However, in my opinion the most important part if the cabinet is that it is the correct width of a real pinball machine. 

#663 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

Hey my Rift S came in!  Unfortuantely on the pincab for some reason I can't get it to work. When I click on the vpxvr exe, it loads steam and the headset shows the oculus home grey screen and I see the steam VR small menu come up that shows the rift CV1 and 3 sensors and then I hear the table audio but the table doesn't show up.

This is the slightly older version so I'll download the new one.  Also I'm NOT on the Steam VR beta so perhaps I need to use that as well.  I'll take a look on my dedicated VR pc and will let all know.

I will say that I did try Stern Pinball Arcade and it's night and day compared to before. Now we can see the assets at the back of the table much clearer so I have extra motivation to get VP to work in VR since the physics are much better in VPX (I don't think they are horrible in SPA, just more casual friiendly than I prefer).

So far, the Rift S is a worthwhile upgrade.  They've catered to the casual first time VR enthusiast a little too much however it still hits a few high points with it's screen resolution, panel quality and those wonderful lenses where there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot anymore.  There's room for improvement, would love wireless adapter and which the FOV was 20 degrees larger but as it is, wow!

#664 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:42 PM

Update:  VPXVR worked on the other PC, very clear graphics. Getting a bit more stutter than expected (I don't think I did before). This is with both older and newer TAFVR table and newest VPXVR update too.  So due to another issue I needed to run the setup repair option on oculus rift and got an error.  Somehow I think my oculus home setup was partially corrupted which explains even though I passed the compatibility tool, I still had issues with oculus home reporting I didn't meet the min specs required.  So solving this issue, hope it's not a step down the rabbit hole of hell.

Anyway point is maybe my oculus app issue is the cause for the non-perfect frame rate.  will report back later

#665 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

congrats on new hmd, amazing quality difference from CV1 right?  I have been streaming from ALVR and if I bump res to 150% it looks almost as good as CV1, but without wires.  I of course will stick to the Rift-S with its gorgeous screen.

#666 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

So I haven't heard from Caligula in a while, if someone wants to try the latest build I've uploaded the latest 32bit build here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Instructions:

• (Optional) Backup/Rename your current VPinballX_GL.exe and the glshader folder if you want to easily switch back to the old build.
  • Unzip the zipfile into your VPX folder and overwrite VPinballX_GL.exe and the glshader folder (including all files in glshader folder).

Important: If you are new to VPVR don't ask me personally for support! The first thing you should do is read the Wiki here: https://sourceforge....etting started/ and if you have questions or problems regarding VPVR ask them openly in here.

What's new?

• Bulblights are fixed, no weird shimmering anymore, you don't need to do any workarounds on tables anymore, tables should look the same as in VPX without doing any modifications. That means if you did any workarounds like removing bloom or something else you can now undo that.
  • Balls are fixed, balltexture, pointlights, reflections, should look like VPX.
  • Performance: I would love some feedback, hopefully performance is better.
  • Image Quality: Image quality is hopefully better now, for best quality use "Brute-force 4x SSAA" in video options if your computer can handle it (if you tried 4x SSAA before and had performance issues try again).

What's still missing graphically from VPX?

• Playfield reflections are not yet implemented.

Known Issue in this build:

• Due to the amount of objects in 3rdaxis TAF VR version it will generate some black flashes on startup when generating mipmaps, once everything is cached the flashes will stop. Still trying to pinpoint a fix for this.

As you can see I've focused on graphical side of things trying to make VPVR look on par with VPX graphically, I would love feedback what you think about the graphics, if you notice anything that does not look correct and your impression of the performance before/after this build.

Edited by Rawnei, 29 May 2019 - 07:33 PM.

#667 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:46 PM

Will try when I get back tonight thank you!!!

#668 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

Great news, thanks @Rawnei! Will try this tomorrow.

#669 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Does anybody build the pinsim? I have no time for such a project. I could commission somebody to do it?

#670 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

@rob046: Where are you located?

#671 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

I wish there was someone making ready made pinsims, I would buy one for sure, I think there will be a growing market for them as well.

#672 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

@Rawnei, shoot me a message. I am building a new one. Maybe I could make a 2nd. Shipping to Sweden shouldnt be that high

#673 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Its kinda expensive cause I use real pinball legs and lockdown bar, both of which are pricey.  I'm always on the lookout for legs and lockdown bars cheap

#674 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

I"m in PA USA. Also I don't even need one with legs or a lockdown bar. Only need it to be tall enough to fit the controls in so I can use it on my lap. & could always add the additional hardware down the road.

#675 blindpeser

blindpeser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

@rob046: Hopefully someone from the US helps you out. Shipping from Germany would kill you.

#676 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Like this?

e6ciZXR.jpg

uLcJZTN.jpg

I call this one my PinMicro as its much smaller than my PinStubby pictured in the 1st post.  I found a really cheap wireless controller with easy test points to solder to.  This works with PC, android, switch, etc.

Really awesome

Edited by Slydog43, 30 May 2019 - 03:14 PM.

#677 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Anyone got the chance to try the new build yet? Really interested in hearing impressions. :)

#678 otro5

otro5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Lady Luck (1976)

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Dear Rawney,

I has been testing your new VPVR version. Awesome, great improving. For instance in TOFMagic, on details on table, ball, lights are great . I am using HTC Vive Pro with CPU i9K990 and GPU GTX2080Ti and for me "Brute-force 4x SSAA" doesn´t run fluently.

Thanks a lot for your work

#679 mouja

mouja

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 14 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: F14-Tomcat

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

Great work Rawnei, the shimmering is gone, it helps a lot with many tables. The reflection onto the ball are nice also. The bad news for me is that I have to rework all my tables, it's very dependent on the table now (lighting etc...). With the anterior version I had made a ball with a perfect shininess for my taste, I still didn't find how to match the same shininess with this version, I don't give up. 

It seem that it probably "desactivates" some settings for the ball also (setings in the script I guess). For example, in White Water the ball was blue with nice effects, it isn't blue anymore.

"Brute-force 4x SSAA" doesn't work in my case. I get an almost flat table floating at a few centimeters from my nose.

#680 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

Dear Rawney,

I has been testing your new VPVR version. Awesome, great improving. For instance in TOFMagic, on details on table, ball, lights are great . I am using HTC Vive Pro with CPU i9K990 and GPU GTX2080Ti and for me "Brute-force 4x SSAA" doesn´t run fluently.

Thanks a lot for your work

Thanks for your feedback, with a 2080Ti you should definitely be able to do SSAA, I have a 1080Ti and it works great for me event on TAF VR version, not too familiar with your CPU, I've got a Ryzen 5 1600x but I think it's more GPU then CPU dependent anyway. Have you configured separate supersampling settings in SteamVR? If you have then that might be it as you will basically get additive supersampling from steamvr + application.

Great work Rawnei, the shimmering is gone, it helps a lot with many tables. The reflection onto the ball are nice also. The bad news for me is that I have to rework all my tables, it's very dependent on the table now (lighting etc...). With the anterior version I had made a ball with a perfect shininess for my taste, I still didn't find how to match the same shininess with this version, I don't give up. 

It seem that it probably "desactivates" some settings for the ball also (setings in the script I guess). For example, in White Water the ball was blue with nice effects, it isn't blue anymore.

"Brute-force 4x SSAA" doesn't work in my case. I get an almost flat table floating at a few centimeters from my nose.

Thanks for your feedback, regarding White Water the ball is not supposed to be blue, that was a bug in the previous build, if you compare it to VPX it now looks the same in VPVR and VPX i.e. it now looks as intended. VPX is reference for all changes I make so tables should now match what they look like in VPX. If you make changes to your tables be aware that you are changing how the author of the table intended it to look.

Regarding SSAA odd that you get that result! Have you disabled the "Post-processed Anti-Aliasing" setting?