6 replies to this topic

#1 STV

STV

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Varies. 140 in the list ATM.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:38 AM

While implementing colorized DMDs I've discovered a problem with the TWD.  The other sterns don't have this problem. 

Summary:  The Walking Dead DMD goes very lagged when at91jit is set to 0 which is required after implementing the color DMD stuff.  The TWD takes the color DMD seemingly fine, but after a while (seems random.  Might be a few minutes, or maybe not until 10 minutes later) the DMD loses "sync" and it lags.  Like displaying one frame every three seconds type of lag.  It's only the DMD, the ball isn't lagged on the playfield.  To get back to proper working order the vpinballx.exe has to be stopped and restarted.

I can undo the color rom selections by unselecting it in F1 and leave at91jit at 0 and the lag still happens after a few minutes.  ddraw 0 or 1 not matter.  Tried a brandy new ROM from stern, still happens.  Fresh downloads of any of the current recent releases of TWD.  10.3 final,  2.9 final   Latest freezy dmddevice.dll in vpinmame.  No front end, just launching vpinballx.exe solo. 

Any ideas?  

In the end, It'll run fine all night long as long as at91jit is 1 and no colorized dmd.  Flipping at91jit to 0 and not even enabling the color dmd will cause the lag failure to return. 

Oh, when it goes lagged, the playfield does exhibit the color problem noticed during 2.9 beta runs where certain flashers no longer light.  I've tried going back to various 2.9 beta builds but the problem still occurs.  This problem seems to be tied to at91jit.

#2 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,910 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

Try asking the site where you downloaded it. You might get more help.

This site has a deal with Stern to not recreate any of there newer tables.

You will not find any newer Stern tables here on this site.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#3 STV

STV

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Varies. 140 in the list ATM.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

OH, I see.   Well, I think I may have found that this table shouldn't be running with the external DMD setting so I'll give it a go that way tomorrow.  color yes, but not external DMD we'll see what happens. 

(edit for the sake of completing the thought)  

OK tried that, just sticking the pal file there and enabling color and not the external dmd doesn't do anything so back to the drawing board.   Doesn't crash either... but doesn't color.

Edited by STV, 19 June 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#4 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

not exactly true (the deal part), but especially we, as the PinMAME devteam, still follow the old 3-year rule that was once established (back in the MAME days even i think) to potentially not influence any real pinball sales in a negative way.. and Noah follows that one, too..

(and please do not start another discussion on the usefulness or whatever of that rule, please, guys ;))

#5 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,910 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Well I had helped someone else in another post a long time ago,(I didn't know about this deal at the time, so I am innocent I tell ya..LOL) and was quickly told by Noah not to discuss or help others asking about tables that are not permitted here. Seems like a good idea to me. I like to follow rules.

So now i just tell them to ask for help where they downloaded table, to help save them from possible trouble.

If I was a newbie here and was asking stuff that may cause problems, I would want somebody to tell me before my foot was placed all the way into mouth.

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#6 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

don't get me wrong, it's all fine, i just wanted to avoid that we have to redo the same old discussion (in case somebody else read that thread here and wants to jump in).. that's all..

#7 Binkles

Binkles

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

not exactly true (the deal part), but especially we, as the PinMAME devteam, still follow the old 3-year rule that was once established (back in the MAME days even i think) to potentially not influence any real pinball sales in a negative way.. and Noah follows that one, too..
(and please do not start another discussion on the usefulness or whatever of that rule, please, guys ;))

I remember the massive discussions on the number of years..

I think it was about that time the discussion of modding tables was also doing the rounds.

Ahh the good old days, you could whip a table up in a couple of days....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk