toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

As it just came up, here a small guide on what the options mean in the Visual PinMAME settings (version 2.8 and newer).

NOTE: If you do not know what to pick, leave every setting at its default value!

- Skip Pinball Startup Test: Will try to skip the startup/boot sequence on some machines. Should be usually safe to enable (for example not for Dr. Dude though)

- Use Sound: En/Disable all sound output

- Use Samples: En/Disable pre-recorded samples for some machines

- Compact Display: Smallest window output, with no empty space inbetween dots/pixels

- Double Display Size: Double every outputted pixel in x and y direction, e.g. a very simplistic output scale

- Ignore ROM CRC errors: Will ignore wrong/broken or modified ROMs and start the emulation anyway. Useful if using MODs that are not yet in the PinMAME list

- Cabinet Mode: The output window can be placed more freely (e.g. a second/third monitor) and skips the disclaimer screens

- Show DMD/Display Window: En/Disable the standard output window

- Use external DMD (dll): If properly setup (e.g. a dmddevice.dll supporting PinDMD or similar, is placed inside the PinMAME folder), will use an external dll to drive an output window OR even an external hardware DMD

- Sound samplerate: Samplerate that is used for outputting sound. This was previously also influencing the internal emulation quality, but not anymore since 2.8

- Resampling quality: Audiophiles can pick 1 instead of 0, but will pay with lower performance

- Sound mode: This can enable the use of alternative, external sound package recordings (like the ones on PinSound, https://www.pinsound.org/), see: http://www.vpforums....=27063&p=334753

- Emulation Fast Frames: Will emulate the first X frames as fast as possible, leading to a quicker startup, without any sideeffects (usually this value is in the 100s to 1000s range)

- VP<->VPM synclevel: Was used to balance the processing power between VP and VPM, nowadays best leave at 0 (but if you still insist, this is the number of times that VPM will try to get control over the CPU, per second, see http://www.vpforums....?showtopic=1951)

- Display Antialias: Simple anti-aliasing filter of the output window (0..100%)

- Display Opacity: Steers the transparency of the output window (0..100%) (useful if you wanna place the window over the playfield itself)

Example Dialog screenshot (NOT the default values, but some random settings):

Attached Files

Edited by toxie, 22 February 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#2 shadowshd

shadowshd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire; Medieval Madness

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for these usefull informations Toxie :tup:

++

#3 UncleSash

UncleSash

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Meteor by Stern

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

Thanks a lot for for your extreme fast respomd on my help question!
You guys are awesome!

we are not here to make sense, we are here to make cars!

#4 DKong

DKong

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 596 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IJ (Williams), TOM, AFM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

Hey guys,

I had this working for quite some time, but at some point, I lost the ability to use Sound Mode: 1 (for alternate sounds).  I'm currently running VPM 2.9 and VPX 10.2.1.

I believe this option was previously 0, but now there is no number there.  When I enter any number for Sound Mode, it doesn't save and is blank the next time I open it.

Any suggestions for what I might check or change to be able to use this option?

Thanks!

#5 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,829 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

I've seen quite a lot of settings in 10.3 that you enable/change and the next time you run the emulator it is still on the old value. I expect this is because of some gui stuff that was changed in this new version. I for one, is just keeping 10.2 available. If I can't make 10.3 do the change, it just run 10.2, change whats needed and go back to 10.3.

Obviously this doesn't work for all parameters - especially those that don't exist in 10.2. I'm sure it is going to be fixed, when the devs have more time on their hands. For now, the best thing we can do is to find these and report them in the beta thread.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#6 DKong

DKong

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 596 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IJ (Williams), TOM, AFM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Thalamus.  I'm using VPX 10.2.1 and have not updated the 10.3 beta yet  I had Sound Mode working with 10.2.1 before, but just recently noticed the alternate sounds are no longer there. 

So, when I looked into it, that's when I noticed I can no longer get any numbers I type in the default options for Sound Mode to stay/save.

Any ideas why and what else I can look at to fix this?

#7 Imgema

Imgema

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

• Flag: Greece

• Favorite Pinball: Dinner

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

nvm, wrong topic.

Edited by Imgema, 04 February 2019 - 12:06 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vpm, vpinmame, pinmame