Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

I'm considering building a cabinet but wondered what are the proper heights & angles?

I’m presuming the total height at the front of the cabinet is the most important so that it is comfortable to play. But does the back height and/or table angle and/or playfield angle vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer of real pinball machines?

What about if you build a mini-pin? Since the cabinet is shorter is it better to keep the heights correct & increase the cabinet angle? Or is it better to keep the angle correct & adjust the heights?

I found some nice looking ¾’ x 2’ x 4’ sanded plywood that would be good for the cabinet sides. And it would fit in my car so I could get it home. However 48” is a few inches shorter than the 51” to 53” side dimension I usually see, I guess the good thing is a filler panel at the top of the playfield might not be needed.

But would I use correct heights or a correct angle?

#2 Sneetch

Sneetch

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 287 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

So with all things related to this hobby I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

Depending on the era and manufacturer of the machine you want to copy would change your defaults. Then you still have ability to change angle as one could on a real table (feet on legs have 2-3" adjustment?).

Personally think your thought on having the front of cabinet standard height whether full size it mini is a good one. Yet even that may not be important to someone who is going completely custom build.

So long response to say, 'what feels right to you is the best answer!' ;)