Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

T.K.O. Gottlieb 1979 - VPX WIP

gottlieb last wedgehead tko

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

If you've noticed a trend in the tables I've done, I've been trying to fill in gaps of tables that I could not find at all; Gemini, Space Walk and Gottlieb's Star Trek being the main ones.  This may be the last one that I've been trying to get done.  Resources are few and far between, and this one took the most time just getting a playfield image.  I like using actual photos of tables, just has more "feeling" to me, personal preference.  Anyway this one was stiched together from many internet photos and then I had to remove all the playfield objects and draw in missing pieces where I didn't have the right angles... blah blah blah.. lots of time in Photoshop, and I am by no means proficient at using it.  The end result is not perfect, but  for me it's close enough.

Interestingly enough I've not been the only one working on this table.  Itchigo and mostly pbecker1946 over on one of those other unmentionable sites have also been working on a VP9 version of the table and Itchigo recently posted a "coming soon" thread over on his site.  They went through pretty much the same process to get the playfield and came up with a pretty similar playfield as I did.  Would have saved one of us a lot of work had we known, oh well.  :unknw:  What I did get from them though was some of the play logic that I was missing, how some of the lights were triggered etc.  I was going to make guesses, and some of my guesses may have been right, but I know am pretty much in step with them on how the table will play.  Of course we coded them totally independently as well, so the script is way different between the two (pbecker is way more knowledgeable than I).  Thanks guys for the info!

So here is the current state of affairs, still cleanup, physics tweaking, light animations and such to do, but could use some more people play testing it.

Available from my dropbox, includes directb2s, and as all my work FS settings for portrait oriented cabinets, you may need to change.  https://dl.dropboxus...tlieb 1979).zip

tkopreview.png

#2 dboyrecords

dboyrecords

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: all of them! Bad Cats, Addams, really all!!!

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

I really appreciate your fill in the gap approach, fill 'er up!!!

#3 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

Knockout of a looker! Thanks for taking the extra coding steps. Looking forward to playing.

#4 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:44 AM

I really appreciate your fill in the gap approach, fill 'er up!!!

About out of 70's Gottlieb's to do, I'll have to start with someone else.

Knockout of a looker! Thanks for taking the extra coding steps. Looking forward to playing.

Thanks, this one isn't my favorite to play, but it's not bad and it needed to be done.

#5 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Have an update to T.K.O.  I've done some tweaking to the table, but frankly don't remember exactly what, but mostly have been working with DOF wizard arngrim to get DOF working on the table.  Of course I couldn't just go for the base DOF setup as I am planning a new EM modelled (wedgehead) cabinet build in which the first toys I put in will be  a 3 bar chime set and a big 5" bell from Golden Arrow (DOF coming to that one sometime as well).  Anyway I wanted more options to control what toys got fired by DOF and what toys had the script play the sound file.  So after arngrim graciously helped out here is the working solution we've come up with.  

First off the table uses the same LMEMDOFTables.txt file that loserman76 has been so prominently putting out with his plethora of fine tables.  So from his directions: 

For this table, I am using my new method for enabling/disabling the dB2S backglass. By default the backglass is disabled. The easy way to enable it is this method:
1.Launch table and then exit. It will auto-create a file in the USER folder of VPinball named "LMEMDOFTables.txt"
2.Open this file in notepad and change the "0" to a "1" if you want B2S and the sounds I included in the table script or "2" if you want B2S and the DOF sounds and save.
3.Next time you launch, the backglass will launch.
Or for the die hards out there, create a text file in the USER folder named LMEMDOFTables.txt and put a "1" or a "2" (no quotes) on the first line and save it.

Edit: we did add a section in the script that if you don't already have a LMEMDOFTables.txt file that the script will set it based on whether you have Show DT checked or not in Backdrop settings on VP10, since VP10 files have both desktop and full screen settings built in.

The second part is a new file in the same USER folder of VPinball named "DOFToys.txt"  We made it a separate file so not to mess up compatibility with all of Jeff(loserman76)'s tables.  The DOFToys.txt file gets created on first run if it does not exist like the LMEMDOFTables.txt.  By default the DOFToys.txt file will contain the following:

contactors= 1
knocker= 1
bells\chimes= 0
big bell\gong= 0
gear= 1
shaker= 1

Which is hopefully fairly self explanatory.  If there is a "1" after the item it will use DOF for that toy, if there is a "0" then the script will play the sound file.  So for me I'm going to reverse most of the default since I will likely start with just knocker, bell\chimes and big bell\gong toys in my cab.  Anyway edit the file to what works for your setup, or if you don't have DOF at all just ignore the file.  Hopefully this has added some more flexibility to how the DOF works instead of an all or nothing proposition.

File is still out on my dropbox until such time as VPX is finalized and we get a upload area on vpforums.  https://dl.dropboxus...tlieb 1979).zip

Big thanks again to arngrim for all his time and effort.

Edited by BorgDog, 09 November 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#6 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Also, since my display settings looks like the below, the FS settings in the table are set accordingly.  I understand most of you are not setup that way due to legacy issues and you will need to adjust your FS settings to fit your cab.

displays.png

Here are some settings someone used on one of my other tables as a starting point, ymmv:

post-73849-0-56574900-1439795989.png

#7 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Those settings work great on my cab. Thanks. 

Cool table. Really unique layout. The sling on the bottom left of the playfield sits in a unique spot. Takes some getting used to. I like the variety this table provides. Also - I really like the way the kicker lights up when ready for a "knock out punch." Cool design! 

Nice work with this one, Borgdog. Your EMs are super. Can't wait to see pics of the "wedgehead cab" you're building. 

#8 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Thanks.  The bottom right "sling" is the one that gets me, I keep losing balls trying to catch them on the right flipper and having them roll off the back end of that little sling, hard to break that habit from all the other tables.

I haven't started the cab yet, just collecting old em parts at the moment, and working on the design.  Have other real world projects I need to finish first (bathroom add to the house).

#9 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:26 AM

Bathroom?! Can't you guys just shower in that wedgehead cab you're dreaming about?

Totally getting a kick out of T.K.O. On my machine I get butter smooth gameplay until it comes time to deliver knockout punches. First knockout punch sounds the "replay" knocker sound and along with it I get a maxi-stutter: Game freezes for like half a second, and then the ball reappears down playfield.

As always -- I'm not complaining here! Game is totally fun to play as is. Just supplying notes for your development when you get back around to it.

One other small note of lesser importance: Sometimes the rollover targets up top (I love that these are animated) stay in the "depressed" position -- i.e. the feature a tiny asterisk rather than then full sized one after rolled over.

#10 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

hmm, well that doesn't sound good.  I'll have check and see what is going on at that point that would cause it.  I frankly haven't played it enough on my cab to get to that point often, and on my laptop I rarely get anywhere near there.

On the rollovers, those are just the standard VP10 star rollover, but I do remember something in the vp10 beta thread about that issue, I'll look it up and see if I can do anything about it.

Thanks for all the testing and input Ben!

#11 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hey Ben, and anybody else, I made some changes to what may have been the cause of the big stutter after the knocker/gong sound.  If you could re-download and test it out for me I would appreciate it, thanks.

Same link https://dl.dropboxus...tlieb 1979).zip

#12 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

Looking forward to testing tonight. Thanks, Borgdog!

#13 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hey Ben, and anybody else, I made some changes to what may have been the cause of the big stutter after the knocker/gong sound.  If you could re-download and test it out for me I would appreciate it, thanks.

Same link https://dl.dropboxus...tlieb 1979).zip

Thanks for the update, BorgDog. My skills weren't so hot tonight. i played about 20 games, and didn't get one single shot at a knockout punch! I really wanted to test that fix. Wish I could confirm it for ya!

Out of about 100 balls played, I only got one "stuck rollover target" (see attachment). So that's improved. Really, this isn't an issue for me. Gameplay is great. But, passing along the info just in case you want to know.

Love your work, BD! Thanks so much.

Iattachment=22694:targ.JPG]

Attached Files

• Attached File  targ.JPG   16.41KB   4 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gottlieb, last wedgehead, tko