• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Demolition Man

• PS3 Gamer Tag: BlackPredator72
  • 360 Gamer Tag: BlackPredator72

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

Oh ya a little off topic but, I have never had an issue finding the latest uploads, their always on the home page under latest uploads :)

But sometimes when someone is uploading multiple files, the "really important" updates or new files (tables) are pushed away :

update.png

Maybe you can make a dropdown menu for what you like to see the new updates from : Show "dropdown menu" new tables/dB2S/Art/Video ?

43327.png?1581090420

#42 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: T2, TOM, AFM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I've deployed a new version. There are a few more tables, but mainly there's now a landing page:

Integration with the rest via a menu will come. This page serves as entry point with loads of info of what's going on. I would imagine this customizable at some point where you would be able to remove blocks that don't interest you. Looks a bit overcrowded now. Or maybe just make the right column blocks collapsible. Thoughts?

The news feed block will additionally get filters so you can show only items about stuff you're following, or filter by type (comment/release/whatever).

The most prominent feature are the packs. The idea here is to offer packages to mainly new users so they can get started rapidly. Every pack contains all that is needed to play the tables (roms and media).

EDIT: Just noticed that the pack title isn't displayed in Chrome. If you have Firefox, please use Firefox for now.
EDIT2: Fixed the Chrome problem.

Edited by freezy, 17 April 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#43 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,424 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Looks good. I don't think it is overcrowded. The vp main page and main forum page is more busy.

For downloads, it would be good to be prompted as in pind.ch what will be downloaded, I.e. Media, rom, db2s, pf video, bg video, etc. maybe have a simple default for new users, selectable options mentioned above or use options defined in my profile

Might be good to consider desktop vs cab vs hybrid view to filter overall content offered

#44 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yeah the downloads will get some more treatment. I'll also add a "pin" mode, where download buttons get transformed into pin buttons and downloads then get added to a queue in order to finally download one zip containing all pinned downloads in the right folders.

About the desktop vs cab filter - I don't think desktop-only downloads would be supported (unless there is really a demand). I actually didn't plan to make the distinction at all since I thought there wouldn't be any in VP10. Now it seems that VP will go 10.0.0 with DX9 and the new physics already, I'm not so sure anymore.

Anyway, I'll next work on the tagging features, might be possible to solve that problem with tags.

Edited by freezy, 17 April 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#45 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yeah the downloads will get some more treatment. I'll also add a "pin" mode, where download buttons get transformed into pin buttons and downloads then get added to a queue in order to finally download one zip containing all pinned downloads in the right folders.

About the desktop vs cab filter - I don't think desktop-only downloads would be supported (unless there is really a demand). I actually didn't plan to make the distinction at all since I thought there wouldn't be any in VP10. Now it seems that VP will go 10.0.0 with DX9 and the new physics already, I'm not so sure anymore.

Looking very good already! Unfortunately, unifying the different table types requires not only a change in the software, but also in the way that tables are built (namely, fully in 3D, without any sprites). So this transition will be more gradual.

#46 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I figured as much. Still, getting finally rid of the separation was one of the main motivation of building this. Need to think a bit more, maybe there's an elegant and simple solution to this.

#47 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Getting better, Can't wait for the full release! :D

#48 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Deployed another update where I added "pinned downloads". The idea is that instead of downloading file by file, you can queue them up and download them as one large zip. This will be a time saver when you're downloading multiple tables, ROMs or media, since you'd only need to extract all of them once into the right folder instead of each file individually. The pin button is on the top right corner on every page.

#49 Syco54645

Syco54645

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

• Favorite Pinball: kewpie doll, theatre of magic

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Freezy, great job on this! This really makes me want to get my virtual pin up and running. Hopefully the next version of vp will be better with physics. 

#50 Syco54645

Syco54645

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Having an issue. It is not downloading files for me here. It just has a js alert that says "Heres the file". Something wrong or can you not dl files yet?

#51 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

It's still a mock. Data is static and there aren't any downloads.

#52 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

• PS3 Gamer Tag: dyopp21

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Freezy this is looking really good!  And what a time saver it would be.

Virtual Pinball: see one, do one, TEACH ONE.

2qszd43.png

#53 Syco54645

Syco54645

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

It's still a mock. Data is static and there aren't any downloads.

That is what I figured. This looks fantastic. If clicking on the file will cause the download to begin rather than clicking through 3 different clicks per file that would be awesome.

#54 matty_g_8

matty_g_8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

• Favorite Pinball: indiana jones

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

any more news on this

#55 matty_g_8

matty_g_8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

bump

#56 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

Okay I've spent some time on the release upload form. Below is a screenshot. The idea in general is to save all the important stuff as structured data so it can be searched/filtered/indicated easily. Comments from table authors would be greatly appreciated.

vpdb_new-release.jpg

Too complicated?

Edited by freezy, 25 November 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#57 matty_g_8

matty_g_8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:53 AM

Looks good!

#58 matty_g_8

matty_g_8

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

hows this going? Im surprised there isn't more interest is something like this...seems it would make things heaps easier in regards to updating tables

#59 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

This database is a great idea, and it looks like you've included all of the important metadata.  Will there be a web service to access the database?  I could see a PinballX extension that allows installing updating tables without ever leaving the front end.  If the files are hosted here, it wouldn't bypass the vpforums download restrictions.  In fact, it could drive traffic and subscriptions to vpforums.

BTW, there is a whole service around providing video previews for emulator front ends (http://emumovies.com).  So I think there is a lot of room for services like this, orthogonal to the value that vpforums provides.

ultradmd_splash.png

#60 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

I like it freezy looks great and lots of info..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vpdb, database