gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

Sambuild addd support colorized roms but has probably not been updated yet to support MJ

Edited by gtxjoe, 25 June 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#962 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

Not yet. No.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#963 Armyaviation

Armyaviation

Mr. Walnuts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

there is a latest version of sambuild that says MJ is incorporated  and it says over 100 downloads, but unfortunately when i click on it it does nothing.  I was trying in IE because chrome wont open any VPU links..ugh

disregard it worked and it says MJ is included,,,, but its not

Edited by Armyaviation, 25 June 2020 - 07:49 PM.

#964 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

Oh ? To me SAMBuild_r5037.zip is the latest.

Uups ... - must be a server cache issue. Still though. You are pretty much forced for now to change the cgamename=xxx to the new rom for LW3.

http://vpuniverse.co...ent.php?id=7264

Edited by Thalamus, 25 June 2020 - 08:43 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#965 naeromagus

naeromagus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: the funhouse

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:35 AM

Sam build has support for the color stern patched games. Xmen, acdc, family Guy.

#966 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

when updating to the newest version, do we take the whole folder and place it in vpinmame and let it override all applicable.  I just hate to lose all my freezys and pup stuff.  I update once a year probably and forget the small details sorry

Just take all files from the zip and move them 1:1 over.

This will not exchange your own freezy/dmdext (or other DMD) dlls, but only VPinMAME (and the usually unused PinMAME32), as the DMD-specific dlls are all in sub-folders in this zip.

Then after that, run setup.exe and hit install (which will only update the COM madness, nothing more, so all settings will remain the same).

i am confused with the different options.  Toxie, what is the sambuild and whats the difference between this and that.  I downloaded and installed this and MJ works fine but ACDC wont work now.  I reverted to my saved version and it works but no MJ

As the others already pointed out: The only difference here is that a) Carnypriest does beta builds MUCH more often (thanks for that!!!) and b) that it also offers color ROM support which we as PinMAME team are still a bit scared of.

So, if in doubt, you can always pick the sambuild.

Edited by toxie, 26 June 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#967 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Generation 1, part 2

I was investigating why some sounds didn't seem quite right. Then it dawned on me that the emulation is using the waveform ROM from a Gen 2 board, which of course is going to cause issues.

It's amazing that some sounds were still right. Anyway, from the schematics, it seems that 2 different revisions were used, Atarians & Time 2000 have a ROM marked 007028 and the rest have 020252.

Hacking wave #6 to change to wave #14 makes Atarians and Time sound close to proper, so I think for emulation purposes a dump isn't urgent. Hopefully someone can get them dumped!

Thanks for these insights! Now we just need somebody to dump this ROM..  :/

#968 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Ha: http://nuatari.com/Roms_and_Proms.html

@SomeRandomGuyIdk, maybe you can also check the other pages there, maybe there is something else useful there to improve the emulation?! Unfortunately i don't know much about Atari emulation yet myself.

(btw: The page also contains a sound ROM for Gen 3 :))

EDIT: meh, files are only dummies, but i contacted him, lets see

EDIT2: nope, it's just a weird format PLUS for whatever reason some JScript code attached at the end of the file. :hmm:

@SomeRandomGuyIdk So i commited the new stuff, please also check.  :)

Attached Files

Edited by toxie, 09 July 2020 - 08:48 PM.

#969 kds70

kds70

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Eight Ball Deluxe

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:41 PM

Sys80 and bally music/sound fixes coming up, thanks for the report. I never noticed it, as i already had the fix but forgot to commit it, d'oh!

kds70, are you sure about High Speed? Sounds pretty normal to me.

Retested and you are right @toxie : highspeed isn´t affected. Sorry ...

I remember the background music much more louder. but i went back to vpinmame 3.2 final etc to test. always the same so there is no error :bye2:

@toxie ? It´s me again ... as pac man was affected with low rom music i am sure - or not - that the Grand Slam table is affected too.

Grand Slam uses gransla4 rom and granslam rom (2 player).

These roms do not use rom settings 20 / 21 where you can set the volume manually up to 15 to override the S&T Board setting like eight ball deluxe or pac man for example.

Is this low music in grand slam an issue ?

Many thanks for you great support - nice weekend from me :tup:

PS: grand slam video - background music is much louder as emulated with vpinmame:

Edited by kds70, 10 July 2020 - 10:45 PM.

-------------------

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40″ Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32″ LG, Pin"2"DMD, Pincontrol1, LEDWiz, leaf switches / buttons, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 siemens contactors, knocker, shaker, gear, rgb flasher, PC: Intel i5 [email protected], 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10
Real Pin: Eight Ball Deluxe LE, Centaur 2, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man

#970 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

At least the reason here is different i think, but lets see.. Thanks!

#971 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

Could the reason be related to menu setting 18? According to the manual one can select different sound modes there, but somehow i'm too stupid to change it, it seems.

If that also doesn't help, then i don't know, cause for Grand Slam all sounds come from the same sound chip, a AY8910, so there must be some bug in the internal emulation of either that chip or the commands sent to the chip.   :/

#972 kds70

kds70

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Eight Ball Deluxe

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:27 PM

@toxie : this front door adjustment to rom setting number 18 is the same as in Eight Ball Deluxe, Pac Man, and some other Bally models.

This setting is for adjusting what you can hear. Set to 3 will play background music. Set to 0 or 1 for example plays no background music. It´s nothiing with loudness. 

Especially Eight Ball Deluxe, Centaur, Mr-& Mrs Pac Man have another rom part setting (20 and 21) because they are equipped with the Bally S&T / Squawk & Talk sound board; there you can override the volume regulator mounted onboard by setting volume up to 15 (works only if a special jumper is set at the S&T Board).

So, i don´t know what happened to Grand Slam ... maybe, as you thought already, it´s a part of issue? of vpinmame emulation.

Don´t worry ... the game works; it´s not a big failure but i even notice things like that if a background music is much too quiet.

Thanks for your comments. Happy pinballin´ ... :tup:

-------------------

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40″ Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32″ LG, Pin"2"DMD, Pincontrol1, LEDWiz, leaf switches / buttons, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 siemens contactors, knocker, shaker, gear, rgb flasher, PC: Intel i5 [email protected], 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10
Real Pin: Eight Ball Deluxe LE, Centaur 2, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man

#973 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

Yup, and thanks for the report! It's always good when a lot of people test things, especially those that know how it SHOULD actually sound!

And then even better if we, the devs, get to know about that!  ;)

So i added a comment to the source so that this does not get lost for now, cause otherwise i'm rather clueless at the moment, as simply so many other AY based games work well, including the Ballys from the same generation! As this game was one of the last ones though, maybe they had something in addition on the board or in the software??

#974 SomeRandomGuyIdk

SomeRandomGuyIdk

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: NBA Fastbreak

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

Ha: http://nuatari.com/Roms_and_Proms.html

@SomeRandomGuyIdk, maybe you can also check the other pages there, maybe there is something else useful there to improve the emulation?! Unfortunately i don't know much about Atari emulation yet myself.

(btw: The page also contains a sound ROM for Gen 3 :))

EDIT: meh, files are only dummies, but i contacted him, lets see

EDIT2: nope, it's just a weird format PLUS for whatever reason some JScript code attached at the end of the file. :hmm:

@SomeRandomGuyIdk So i commited the new stuff, please also check.  :)

Nice find! Seems you forgot to add the 20252's to the commit, and also the site claims that Space Riders has a 20967 which contradicts the schematics. These ROMs should fix the sounds,

except for one thing that's been bugging me. The 1000 point sound on Airborne Avenger sounds quite different on most videos I found. I think that there's some filtering and/or clipping going on at the DAC output section,

and analog stuff is outside my realm of expertise, so I'm a bit stumped there. Anyway, great stuff, most of the games should be perfect now.

#975 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

The other files are super recent, cause i pinged him just yesterday if he has more dumps for us.  :)

Will add them later today then.

What do the schematics say for Space Riders to be used?

EDIT: Both schematics and part list mention the 20252-01, i'll correct that then

Edited by toxie, 13 July 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#976 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

As you are much more an expert on this as me, could you please judge if the new (converted) 07028-01.bin dump actually makes sense? Cause the last 256 bytes are 0 of it, and the first 256 bytes are exactly the same as in that new (converted) 20252-01.bin dump.

#977 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

Oh, and did you already test "The 1000 point sound on Airborne Avenger sounds quite different on most videos I found" with these new 20252 dumps?

Attached Files

Edited by toxie, 14 July 2020 - 08:34 AM.

#978 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

One more: I now commited all the changes, can you please double check that all makes sense now? (and list still existing bugs like the potential 1000 point sound AAvenger problem) Thanks!

#979 SomeRandomGuyIdk

SomeRandomGuyIdk

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: NBA Fastbreak

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:24 PM

The 07028 ROM looks good to me, the games don't use the waveforms from the upper half. Still don't have anything regarding Airborne. It's not a dump issue at least, since the sound itself uses waveform 0 (sine wave) and that waveform is used for a bunch of other sounds, which are good. I already used the new ROM for testing it previously. My guess is that it's a side effect from having the volume pot turned up, the manual itself actually mentions distortion. The commits check out, should finally bring this saga to an end!

#980 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

Neat. Will look into the AAvenger 1000 points thing, too. Maybe its really due to analog effects.