Photo
- - - - -

Odd Sound When Ball Ready in Shooter Lane? Nanotech Issue?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackblotto

jackblotto

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 124 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Stern LOTR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Posted this over at gopinball too, but not sure there is much help there regarding the nanotech controller, which I suspect has something to do with my problem as I found another post here specific to visual pinball with a similar problem that had to do with the nanotech controller and it's settings. Anyway, here is the problem.

With Future Pinball, I've noticed every now and again certain tables sound a little weird when the ball is ready in the shooter lane to be put into play. Not sure how to describe it really but it's an annoying sound like a switch or sling is stuck on a real game, dadadadadadadadadadada. Doesn't stop until I shoot the ball into play and it automatically stops, until the ball drains and is back in the shooter lane. Lately more tables are doing this, but not all. For instance, the newest Dr Dude and Die Hard do it. I have a Nanotech controller running on a two-display monitor setup if that helps. Some tables don't do this at all. Haven't been able to figure all the ones that do. Running 2.4 physics, but it used to happen with the "normal" physics as well. Again it's only when the ball is in the shooter lane. Not specific to any one author's tables either.

Used to just not use the few tables that did it and push it off as something odd not worth tracking down, but now some of the coolest/latest tables being released are doing it. Pirates of the Carribean doesn't for instance, neither does Jaws, but again Dr Dude and Die Hard do.

What the heck? On another thread linked below, they describe the sound like something "stuck in a fan" .... mine too. But this was with visual pinball whereas my problem is with Future Pinball.

http://www.vpforums....ic=15153&page=6

Thanks for any help!

#2 Seraph74

Seraph74

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 152 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: EatPM, TOM, SS

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

is VSync ticked (on) under video preferences ?  I remember there was a horrible noise when ball in shooter lane without it ...

#3 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have to check vsync or I get that sound thing.  Sucks cause having vsync checked makes adjusting the table size and backglass much slower.  Any1 know how to get rid of the sound without checking vsync.

#4 jackblotto

jackblotto

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 124 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Stern LOTR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Right on, Vsync works and thanks for pointing out about resizing tables being slower with it on, had't quite figured out why that was.

HOWEVER, the only problem is my tables get choppy with Vsync on.  So I have to leave it off to allow smoother gameplay and either get rid of tables with the sound or deal with it whenever a table has that issue. There has to be a better way?

Thanks

#5 wmoecke

wmoecke

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Bride Of The Pinbot

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou, THANK-YOU both 

Seraph74

and

Slydog43

this is exactly what I had going!!

My setup has a bit short of 400 tables right now. And a lot of them were having this 'ratatatatatata' issue as described by the op. However, the ones that didn't, were having issues with all 'event' sounds played back 'stuttering' (like they were on reverb or something) - really annoying. I could relate those two issues together as having the same origin, but never that it was related to the 'Vertical Sync' tickbox.

Btw, my checking that box didn't affect gameplay at all - I have the latest FP release (1.9.20101231) and all graphics settings to max (except 'super nice rendering' and 'mirror playfield into ball') and I get full screen resolution with no lag whatsoever. My hardware is a 'medium-end' machine (great, but not 'super-blow-away') purpose-built for gaming (hyperspin ready).

Edited by wmoecke, 18 March 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#6 bigbuni

bigbuni

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whirlwind

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

Here we are in December 2018 and thanks to this forum I am able to use Future Pinball. The EM games were making the horrible buzzing-chattering noises and the SS games would load, but with a "script error" and thus would not play.

I checked the Vertical Sync box and now the games play fine and no effect on game play. I don't have BAM installed because I have no idea if it is required to play on a computer with one monitor. One of the games I really wanted to play is Gottlieb Bank-A-Ball, but the Visual Pinball version is for a full screen vertical setting of the monitor (which my Benq will do) but I really prefer the look of Future Pinball, which has a very nice version of Bank-A-Ball.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helps with VP and FP issues. It seems to me maybe the links to install FP should recommend checking the V Sync box. I have latest version of Windows 10, but I have set FP to run in compatibility mode (Vista) and as Administrator. Seems that's what many people suggest, but maybe all along it was just the Vertical Sync problem.

Cheers. I was about to give up and uninstall FP until I found this solution.  :tup:

#7 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Rose

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

BAM has become more than just what you use to make a table fit onto a pincab. There have been many enhancements to FP, like fixing a huge memory leak. It is not required to play on a computer with one monitor but I recommend it. I suppose you won't see a big improvement on EM tables though you might try applying the new dynamic flippers to a table. I wrote a guide on how to add BAM here:

http://gopinball.com...php?f=86&t=5544

George

#8 bigbuni

bigbuni

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whirlwind

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:13 AM

Thanks George. I'll give BAM a try. I play both SS and EM (real and virtual). FP is working OK now, but in many games the ball "freezes" on the playfield during a game. I have a very new PC with everything needed to play games and flight sims, so there may be some setting in FP that I need to change to prevent the ball from freezing? I tap the return key twice and then the ball un-freezes. Other than this annoyance the rest of the game functions appear normal.

#9 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Rose

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:43 AM

I don't think the problem is in FP. My guess is it may be something to do with your graphics card but not sure what. Another possibility is that your antivirus may be starting when it scans something that is started in the FP script that it thinks might be a virus. Whenever this happens, it requires more CPU power. I use a combination of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes and don't usually have problems like this. You can try turning the antivirus off temporarily to see if that fixes it. George

#10 TT11

TT11

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Kiss & Playboy, Stern Kiss & Playboy

• 360 Gamer Tag: PoundedElliepup

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

I am having this problem once again in my FP EM tables.  Chattering of the ball sounds - Especially bad in a table like Evel Knieval.  Doesn't seem to matter whether VSync is ticked or not.  Have been playing dozens of FP tables for years without this issue as I knew that VSync had to be ticked.  I run under Windows XP/Hypepin, but this problem is back and it's KILLING ME !!!!!..