• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,416 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Sultan (Taito do Brasil - 1979)

File Submitter: jpsalas

File Submitted: 24 Aug 2018

File Category: VPX/VPinMAME Recreations

Author(s): jpsalas
Manufacturer: Taito
Year: 1979
Permission to MOD?: Yes, without approval

Based on the Taito table from 1979.      
Thanks to:
-Carlos Guizzo for the source images of the Sultan table.  
-editoy (Alessio) for the backdrop used to make the desktop backdrop.
-Tio Italo for the apron redraw (Akiles50000 also sent me a nice backdrop)
-kruge99/pinuck/Mick67 & Popotte for letting me use their ressources.
-hauntfreaks for his GI lightning technique :)

Taito started this table as a clone of Sinbad, but after complains from the players missing the balls between the flippers, Taito removed two of the flippers and added the slings. A picture of the table can be seen at the IPDB.

Since the Sultan's ROM has been lost. This table uses the alternative ROM from Sinbad, sinbadn (norwegian ? ). This way the highscores from the vpx Sinbad table won't mix with the ones in this table. The rules are the same as in Sinbad.

This table has also the fastflips enabled, so you know is story, if the flippers doesn't work for you then change that line to Const UseSolenoids = 1 or update vpinmame :)

Click here to download this file

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

I must admit I was a bit confused yesterday seeing the db2s release saying that it was a backglass to a table without a rom. From the description JP it sound like we had the rom and it all of a sudden say ... poof - and goodbye. Of course, that didn't really happen. So, I thank you all for joining forces to get the next best possible solution into play. Make the table and base if of the not 100% correct rom. Thank you all !

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#3 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

As a big fan of Sinbad (I used to own one a couple of years ago), I'm looking forwad to trying this variant. I would imagine it plays quite different with the slings and missing flippers and considering it's a JPSalas build, should be uber fun too!  Many thanks!

#4 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,416 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

The slings are not slingshots, they are simply rubbers. I also added a bulb under the plastics which the original table didn't have.

Here it is a picture of the whole table, which the owner converted back to 4 flippers, but you can see the wholes where the slings were.

[attachment=28575:DSC_2402.JPG]

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#5 Halen

Halen

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 206 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Shark - Taito

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:17 PM

I am from Brazil and my Taito hero is jpsalas!!! Thank you to all involved... Carlos, Editoy, Tio Italo, Akiles!!!! Thank you for bringing my youth back.

#6 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

I think this alternate rom may be buggy as I can't get any extra balls (2nd lane is lit up, ball goes through but I don't get extra ball).  I have the option enabled via F6.  I really like the idea of a different high score so just something to deal with I guess.  Game plays fantastic JP, thanks again!

#7 humanoide

humanoide

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Target Pool - Abra ca Dabra - Big Horse - Simbad - Centaur - Monster Bash - Twilight Zone

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

very nice, :)
Thank you JP and all those who have collaborated in this magnificent work,
simbad is one of my favorite pinballs, it is interesting and rewarding this version of two flippers, :drinks:
 the collection of taito do brasil pins is reaching epic proportions. :good:

#8 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,030 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

Great release, thank you JP.

Posted Image

#9 bha19

bha19

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,209 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre Of Magic

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

I think this alternate rom may be buggy as I can't get any extra balls (2nd lane is lit up, ball goes through but I don't get extra ball).  I have the option enabled via F6.  I really like the idea of a different high score so just something to deal with I guess.  Game plays fantastic JP, thanks again!

No specials either. High score does score 3 replays and match works but that is it.

#10 humanoide

humanoide

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Target Pool - Abra ca Dabra - Big Horse - Simbad - Centaur - Monster Bash - Twilight Zone

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

No specials either. High score does score 3 replays and match works but that is it.

For the special and the extra ball to work, you have to use the same simbad rom from gottlieb and in the script edit the line 21: constant cgamename sinban by sinbad (you have to delete the final "n", but the highest scores are shared with both tables

#11 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

Something new there, JP ?

#12 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

Nope, just removed the link to the ROM, which was a Gottlieb one. I guess I should script the game without using the rom :)

vp.jpg

#13 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:48 AM

Nope, just removed the link to the ROM, which was a Gottlieb one. I guess I should script the game without using the rom :)

Please anways WITH, if one is avaiable anywhere ;)

#14 dstott

dstott

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

It took a bit of searching, but my friend Google eventually found me the correct ROM.  Sadly, most of the links were dead, but WowRoMs worked.

Dave

“The Earth is God's pinball machine and each quake, tidal wave, flash flood and volcanic eruption is the result of a TILT that occurs when God, cheating, tries to win free games.” Tom Robbins

#15 rockhouse

rockhouse

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 609 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: flash, prospector, student prince and any e.m's from the 60's

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

having trouble getting this to run 

i am using the  sinbadn gottlieb rom

any suggestions  :bye2: 

#16 diasjmauricio

diasjmauricio

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Shark(Taito), Titan(Taito)

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:38 PM

I am from Brazil and my Taito hero is jpsalas!!! Thank you to all involved... Carlos, Editoy, Tio Italo, Akiles!!!! Thank you for bringing my youth back.

Concordo, Jp é um heróis que nos trouxe lembranças da juventude.

Escrevi em outro post que mesmo depois de uns 25 anos atrás, lembrei dos sons do Speed Test

#17 Greynurse

Greynurse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: DOOM by Bigus1

Posted 09 March 2022 - 04:30 AM

Ok, I'm stirring the pot 2 years down the track, but here's my experience with The Loafer's issues.

While I haven't played well enough to get extra balls or specials, I have noticed that when high scores flash when the table is in display mode, The first two digits on the backglass score displays disappear for the high score, but return again when the display is reading all zero's. Interestingly this happens on another Gottlieb rom table, Punk. I'm starting to think that many of the Gottlieb roms available now are buggy, as The Loafer suggested.
Does anyone else have similar experiences with Gottlieb roms?

Cheers,

Nursey

#18 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 29 August 2022 - 07:01 AM

thanks for updates :)

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#19 tmpc

tmpc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

• Favorite Pinball: fish tales

Posted 29 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the updates.