Photo
- - - - -

I have an Xbox One Controller and setting it up is confusing.

controller support tech

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Racecarlock

Racecarlock

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars Trilogy Pinball

• 360 Gamer Tag: Racecarlock

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

I mean, you'd think button 5 (Y) would be the Y button, right? But it's the right bumper. You'd think button 9 (S) would be the start button, but it's the left analog stick button while button 8 is the start button.

I'm using an Xbox One for Windows Controller, and I've got the latest version of future pinball, and it gets detected perfectly well, detection is not the issue. But all the different button labels are confusing as hell to figure out, as I've described above. I mean, I got the bumpers to work for flippers, but now I want to assign the back button to inserting coins, and I don't know which number that button is. And there doesn't seem to be a "just press the button and it'll detect the input" option either, so I'm stuck trying to figure out all the different numbers.

Edit: So right after I made this post, through simple process of elimination I figured out that the back button was button 7. I'm going to leave this up anyways, because I think setting up the controller should be less confusing than this. Something to think about for the next update, maybe?

Edited by Racecarlock, 28 October 2020 - 05:39 AM.

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:26 AM

Just go into control panel and click devices and printers and then look at the properties of your xbox controller

you should be able to see what number each button equates to

You could also map them in VPX, and the copy the button numbers

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,818 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:55 AM

Use this for reference. This should apply to any XINPUT gamepad (XBOX 360, XBOXONE,etc).

Things to keep in mind:

- Analogue triggers can't be used for flippers

- DPAD is hard coded to only be used for digital nudging and can't be changed

Attached Files

#4 djbrown79

djbrown79

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:09 PM

If you're colorblind and the Windows Controller properties test tab has sixteen black circles, the numbers start at one and go from left to right, top to bottom.

#5 Tombas

Tombas

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:16 AM

I'm in the software phase of my build. I have VPX, Future Pinball, and the PinUp System all running. I plan to add MAME arcade games. I have a couple XBOX one controllers. I'm researching using the controller and this post/responses catches my attention. Racecarlock mentions he has the bumpers working for flippers. TerryRed said analog can't be used for flippers. I take it the XBOX one controller is analog(?). Is the controller usable for pinball? Looking for clarification.

Sounds like you folks have configured joystick controllers a time or two. Any advice or links to shorten my learning curve would be great! 

Thanks!

#6 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 26 April 2023 - 04:29 PM

I'm in the software phase of my build. I have VPX, Future Pinball, and the PinUp System all running. I plan to add MAME arcade games. I have a couple XBOX one controllers. I'm researching using the controller and this post/responses catches my attention. Racecarlock mentions he has the bumpers working for flippers. TerryRed said analog can't be used for flippers. I take it the XBOX one controller is analog(?). Is the controller usable for pinball? Looking for clarification.

Sounds like you folks have configured joystick controllers a time or two. Any advice or links to shorten my learning curve would be great! 

Thanks!

Xinput controllers, the triggers are analog axis

simple answer
use antimicroX
translate them to key inputs

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary