Photo
- - - - -

VPVR Setup Help (Wrong Video Card SteamVR Error Msg)

Support

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:49 AM

Hi, new here. I'm running Windows 10, an Nvidia RTX 2080, and an Oculus Rift headset. 

So I'm trying to run the Funhouse VR Room. 

I followed the steps in the Reddit post here.

After installing VPX6setup, VPVR.0.7, and tables/roms, I open VPinballX_GL, load the VR Room Table for Funhouse, and hit play. 

It asks me if I want to run Steam VR. I say 'yes'. 

Steam VR's coordinate space shows up in my headset.

After some loading, it opens a window on my desktop, and I hear Funhouse start-up. 

I can see the game being rendered on my desktop, albeit I can see I've spawned INSIDE the back wall, despite being in the center of my play space.

Nothing comes into my headset, save the Steam VR coordinate space.

I see a SteamVR error message on my screen: 

"Wrong Video Card Please plug in your headset into the same graphics card as your primary monitor"

I use this hardware setup for VR all the time. 

Obviously, the message isn't true. Everything else I play works fine. 

The error must lie in the way I've set-up VPX. 

I can hit ESC, and the VPX exit prompt shows up. 

After encountering the issue, I tried fiddling with the VR Settings in VPX preferences. This yielded nothing of significance, as most of the changes wouldn't stick, so I reset the settings to default. 

Searching online for an answer turned up nothing related directly to Visual Pinball, so it seemed appropriate to just ask.

Edited by pencilwhipped, 28 July 2020 - 11:56 AM.

#2 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:44 AM

So far, I've tried rolling back to 10.5, and using the old version of VPVR.

I did this b/c 10.6 did not have SteamVR as a selectable stereo option in Video Preferences. 

I've also gone into Nvidia control panel and tried setting up custom profiles for VPX, Steam VR, and even VPinballX_GL and vpx-vrlauncher specifically so they all use the high performance Nvidia Processor instead of 'auto-selecting' what to use.

This is apparently a solution for folks who encounter the 'Wrong Video Card' error message in Skyrim VR, so I thought I'd give it a try here. 

vpx-vrlauncher does the same thing that loading individual vr rooms does: environment displays in 2d window as SBS image, but nothing in headset, and same steamvr error message. 

To be clear: All other VR titles play perfectly fine on my system. Commercial titles, mods, name it. Zero problems. 

Frankly, I'm hitting the traction limits of my troubleshooting skills here, and running out of ideas.

#3 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:31 PM

The latest official VPVR is based on the VP10.7 code and doesn't work quite right. What you need is the latest beta found here:  

https://www.vpforums...=93#entry454265

#4 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:18 AM

Thanks, I just tried it on a fresh install of everything, but I'm still seeing the error message. 

Even tried just loading a VRroom without vpx-vrlauncher. 2d window loads up, responding to headtracked movement, but nothing rendering in the headset itself, and the same Steam Error message. 

I get the sense that I'm literally one dumb setting away from making this work just fine.  I just can't put my finger on what it is yet. 

#5 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:12 AM

If you have reinstalled everything , ensure the steam vr setting is set to on and not auto

#6 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:11 PM

Current Install Files and install options are as follows: 

VPX6setup

-DMDext support (default component choice)
-Install B2S set to 'No' (no second monitor for backglass). 

VPVR.0.7
-Copied into Visual Pinball Directory

VPVR 2020-07-03
-Copied into Visual Pinball Directory to overwrite VPVR.0.7's 'VPinballX_GL' and the 'glshader' folder. 

----------

(table and roms folder are populated)

----------

I run VPinballX_GL and apply the following settings:

Video/Graphics Options
-Display set to 800x600
-Anti-Aliasing set to SMAA
-3D Stereo Output set to SBS (no SteamVR option present in VPVR 2020-07-03)
-Screenspace Reflections set to 'Off'

VR Options:
-Display set to 1280x960
-Anti-Aliasing set to Quality SMAA
-Supersampling set to 1.00
-Screenspace Reflections set to 'Off'
-VR Mode Set to 'enabled'

----------

I copy in vpx-vrlauncher_2.8b's contents.

----------

Same SteamVR error message and symptoms occur whether I'm running from vpx-vrlauncher, OR VPinballX_GL:

-2d window opens, showing a split screen image that responds to headtracked movement. 
-Nothing displays in headset.
-SteamVR displays message, "Wrong Video Card Please plug in your headset into the same graphics card as your primary monitor"

#7 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:20 AM

I know you are not using steam, but it pertains to nVidea, so may still be of use?
Does your PC have dual graphics? onboard plus the nvidia?

https://steamcommuni...05212047150025/

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#8 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Thank you wiesshund, I do remember this article, and appreciate the help.

Early on, it did occur to me that my USB hub may be the culprit.

The trouble is, I have something on the order of 72+ VR titles and software programs, ranging from user created mods/content to AAA titles... even Skyrim VR like in the article.

Literally everything I have works in VR except for Visual Pinball X .

And I have in fact created customized profiles for all the above used program executables (including SteamVR itself), but nothing doing.

Still see the issue. Man, what a puzzler! I have to admit, I have zero idea why it's not showing up in my Rift.

Like I said earlier, I get the sense it all comes down to a setting that's stopping the picture I'm seeing on screen and hearing on my headset, from rendering on my Rift. 

Edited by pencilwhipped, 31 July 2020 - 06:22 PM.

#9 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:21 PM

Ah, sorry, i did not realize that it was a case of working with everything except VPX

I am not sure what to suggest there, dont have any VR hardware to mess with

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#10 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

I’m at a loss, too. The only thing I’m seeing differently between versions is the current version doesn’t have Steam VR as a selectable entry.

Even when I selected this option in older versions, it still failed to feed video into the headset. I got sound, I got head-tracking that influenced the picture, but no video being fed into the headset. Just the error.

I hope this can be fixed in the future…

...If anybody else has any ideas, I'll certainly give it a try!

#11 Weeda3029

Weeda3029

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Maverick

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Weeda_PointCook
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Weeda SthMelb

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

I have the exact same problem running a 2070. Only happened recently too. Before that vpx was running in VR perfect. I recently installed Future Pinball, so not sure if that did something or it was a Microsoft update. Keen to find a solution. Wiped my laptop - a Dell G7 gaming machine - in hope a reinstall fixes. But not confident.

Hi, new here. I'm running Windows 10, an Nvidia RTX 2080, and an Oculus Rift headset. 

So I'm trying to run the Funhouse VR Room. 

I followed the steps in the Reddit post here.

After installing VPX6setup, VPVR.0.7, and tables/roms, I open VPinballX_GL, load the VR Room Table for Funhouse, and hit play. 

It asks me if I want to run Steam VR. I say 'yes'. 

Steam VR's coordinate space shows up in my headset.

After some loading, it opens a window on my desktop, and I hear Funhouse start-up. 

I can see the game being rendered on my desktop, albeit I can see I've spawned INSIDE the back wall, despite being in the center of my play space.

Nothing comes into my headset, save the Steam VR coordinate space.

I see a SteamVR error message on my screen: 

"Wrong Video Card Please plug in your headset into the same graphics card as your primary monitor"

I use this hardware setup for VR all the time. 

Obviously, the message isn't true. Everything else I play works fine. 

The error must lie in the way I've set-up VPX. 

I can hit ESC, and the VPX exit prompt shows up. 

After encountering the issue, I tried fiddling with the VR Settings in VPX preferences. This yielded nothing of significance, as most of the changes wouldn't stick, so I reset the settings to default. 

Searching online for an answer turned up nothing related directly to Visual Pinball, so it seemed appropriate to just ask.

#12 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:00 AM

Hey Weeda, let me know if the wipe actually does help, okay? It's possible that something doesn't register a 2080 RTX. It wouldn't surprise me if a future version of VPXVR fixes this, but like I said, I have a feeling that... given that the current build registers head-tracked movement... AND feeds audio into my Rift, that a simple settings change...somewhere... would feed the video into my HMD...  properly. 

As it is, I had to purchase a Rift S tonight. Oculus doesn't sell CV1 cables anymore, and in addition to the lack of support Oculus Side, the bandits on eBay charge the equivalent price of a refurbished Rift headset for a cable. 

Will see if a different headset fixes this... stay tuned. I get it next Friday. 

Edited by pencilwhipped, 23 August 2020 - 11:01 AM.

#13 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Genie

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Microsoft Update is well known to bork the video drivers for anything advanced, so the general recommendation is "video no longer works on x? Go grab the drivers from nVidia and install 'em again," and it usually fixes it.

#14 Weeda3029

Weeda3029

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:17 AM

Yep, it's gotta be the update. I have been running VPX VR for six months without issue. Now something just suddenly makes it not recognise the card? I'll try the drivers out tonight and see how we go. 

Have wiped my computer and am in the process of reinstalling all VPX components again from scratch. Nightmare. Was running so well, with SSF and sound coming through my own dedicated pinsim. Ruined in a flash somehow. 

#15 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,079 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:23 AM

I have to reinstall steam vr randomly as mine says headset not detected randomly when it is plugged in. Usually that fixes things for me in vpxvr

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#16 Weeda3029

Weeda3029

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:44 AM

Uninstall didn't fix. Same error. Removed NVIDIA drivers and reinstalled too. What on earth has happened here and how do we fix

#17 Spitfire

Spitfire

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 83 posts

• Favorite Pinball: getaway ii highspeed

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:30 AM

Ok so we have found a solution for this and here is the explanation and fix for those not ha ing anyluck with the nvidia control panel program using high performance card fix. The reason is due to the new nvidia driver automatic update of drivers not matching the nvidia control panel.

FIX
Step 1. Uninstall the nvidia card drivers.
Step 2. Reboot your system. Basic Microsoft Windows drivers will be installed.
Step 3. Go into Device manager find your Nvidia Card and ask windows to update drivers. Windows will then update the correct drivers which will match the nvidia control panel and now your problem is solved.

No more WRONG VIDEO CARD STEAM VR ERROR.

I hope this helps as it definitely helped Weeda who is usings a Dell G7 17 gaming laptop which has an Nvidia 2070 graphics card installed.

#18 pencilwhipped

pencilwhipped

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

Used DDU to completely uninstall drivers, old traces, Nvidia Experience, whole shebang. Rebooted.

Installed fresh drivers. Rebooted again.

Uninstalled Steam VR. Reinstalled SteamVR. Verified install twice. (verified installation manually after it auto-verified). 

Still got the error. Game window registers head-tracked movement. Audio is fed into headset, but not video. 

Headset doesn't appear to matter. This is the same issue with my Rift, or the new Rift S. 

72+ VR programs and experiences ran flawlessly on this setup, and I can't seem to get this one to work. 

The only thing I can see is that the current version doesn't have a selectable SteamVR setting. Earlier versions do.

But even the presence or absence of that setting doesn't appear to have any influence on the issue at hand.

Happy to volunteer anything I can... logs, settings, name it. If it helps, it's yours.

Edited by pencilwhipped, 02 September 2020 - 03:19 AM.

#19 Rawnei

Rawnei

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: There's too many good ones but I really love the atmosphere in Cirque Voltaire!

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:20 AM

Still got the error. Game window registers head-tracked movement. Audio is fed into headset, but not video. 

The only thing I can see is that the current version doesn't have a selectable SteamVR setting. Earlier versions do.

What do you mean by this? Do you get a black screen in the headset or the default SteamVR background? Are you sure the playfield is not there have you looked in all direction and pushed num0 to recenter?

Which settings are you referring to? The troubleshooting settings for AMD cards are still there (color and blit method) but are mostly legacy now.

Have you set VPVR to VR Enabled or Autodetect? If you are using autodetect have you tried VR Enabled instead?

Are you using the latest build that was posted in the VPVR thread or are you using the build from sourceforge? (shouldn't use the sourceforge one, use this one: https://www.vpforums...93#entry454265)

There's not a lot of things that VPVR does with it's interface towards SteamVR, it tells SteamVR to initiate the headset and then it pushes graphics to it, there's not a lot of things that can go wrong there, the problem with old AMD drivers was that they had problems with the color format of the buffer but that was fixed in newer AMD drivers, I haven't heard of anyone having similar problems with nvidia cards.

Also there is a whole subforum for VR here: https://www.vpforums...p?showforum=111

#20 stuntcat

stuntcat

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: kiss

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Hi I am now having the same problem , was working fine , I am on a gtx 2070 updated drivers recently as well , anyone find a solution?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Support