• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,393 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Attack & Revenge from Mars VP91x 2.3

Version: 2.3.0
Category: VPinMAME 9.x Recreations

Author(s): jpsalas

Description:
A mix of Attack from Mars (ROM) and Revenge from Mars (layout)
It is a vpm table which combines two Bally/Midway/Williams tables, which has a similar theme but with different graphics and layout. Since Revenge from Mars is a Pinball 200 system, which it is not emulated in vpm, then this is the closest you can get to play Revenge from Mars in VP.

The rules are the same as the Attack from Mars rules, but some ramps and targets have changed side, and the hole can only be accessed from the bottom. So it is like AFM but with a difference. The big soucer is harder to hit too.

Thanks to Leo, Jolo and Johan for testing the table.
And thanks to Leo for the backdrop and logo.

Update 1.01 24 April 2010
- fixed the lock

Update 2.2 11 December 2010
- new UFO
- some new graphics and sounds
- fixed the lock
- changed to the same version number as AFM

Update 2.3
- Updated for VP91x, with alpha ramps and some setting changes

View File

Submitted by jpsalas, on Apr 23 2010, 01:33 PM

Edited by jpsalas, 31 March 2011 - 05:31 AM.

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Sweet. I loved this table in VP8 - time to give this baby a spin!

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#3 rossicomputers

rossicomputers

Gustavo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight 2000

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for another great release JPS.... Leo .... Great Job and all the team involve on this....

JP, how you get so much free time to launch pinball tables wonderful as this?

Sorry to ask ... But are you millionaire or something?

I thank God that you have this free time for working on this ...

Much appreciated even ...

Rossi

#4 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

JP is different, somehow. His time/quality ratio is unrivaled in the VP world.

And if I see that correctly, Cueball 'bloody Wizard is next!

The McD

EDIT: I can't get the lock lit. Every time I hit the loop, it just speeds through and goes in the bumpers.

Edited by TheMcD, 23 April 2010 - 06:26 PM.

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#5 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,026 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thank you very much this this great release and a special thanks goes to Leo for this amazing Backdrop. cool.gif
Posted Image

#6 KEG

KEG

Virtual Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 687 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: PINBOT

• PS3 Gamer Tag: The_Real_KEG
  • 360 Gamer Tag: KEG

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

Thank you JP, And thanks to Leo for the backdrop.
Table looks amazing as usual. I know I say it in every release thread of yours but once again the sound effects are top notch.
Thanks again for another incredible release.

#7 rschudej

rschudej

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Jp,
I noticed that the ball locks is not responding correctly...It will lock the first ball, But, it will not lock the other balls after locking the first....

Can you please check into this??? Other that that, it plays great!!!

Thanks,
Richard.

#8 mars007

mars007

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

• Flag: Croatia

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

The table is perfectly made.
Yes, even I can not get lit LOCK,
as is TheMcD write.
Thank you for your another table.

#9 billyrjse

billyrjse

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Cavaleiro negro, Medieval Madness, AFM, Elvira Scared Stiff

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Amazing job, JP! What a beauty! cool.gif

I really liked the new physics, new ball and new sounds that you applied at this table and Mata hari. It was much better!!! More close to a real table!! Do you think to apply these changes at the tables already released? Any chance?

Thank you very much! smile.gif

EDIT: I thought the ball a bit fast in the FS version.

Greetings!

Edited by billyrjse, 23 April 2010 - 10:40 PM.

Big Thanks to my friend Hassanchop for this very nice dmd.

#10 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,393 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Strange with the lock, it was working when I tested it. I'll check it again.

About the sounds: I have used the same name for the sounds, so if you like to move some of them to another table it is a matter to export them and import them in the other table. Only the flipper and bumper may have another name in other tables. On some tables I used a "flipper_left" and "flipper_right" and now I used again just the same sound "flipper" for both, also the bumpers now they have individual sounds like "bumper1", "bumper2", etc instead of just "bumper" like before. The rest of the sounds have the same name. I usually include all the sound in the tables even if some of them aren't used.

If the ball is too fast then you can simply change in the editor the "Global Difficulty level" from 0,5 to a lower value, down to 0,1. The Min and Max difficulty is set to 6 and 9 (this is the slope of the table), so the lower the global difficulty the closer will be to 6 and the ball will move slower. If you want it faster then increase that global difficulty value. A pity I haven't found a way to adjust this from the script (I can change the Min and Max values from the script, but it is not the same).

JP

About being a millionaire: smile.gif well, not really, but I can't complain. I work as a system manager for the civil government in Oslo, but at least 2 days a week I work in user support, so I just sit there waiting for calls. And even if I have about between 30 and 60 calls a day I still have plenty of time to draw something in photoshop. Since I work from 7 to 15:30 I have plenty of time the rest of day to do things in VP. Anyway I'm not so very fond to go skiing or take a walk in the snow, so this leave me also plenty of free time during the winter. And since my wife has her own computer with mirc, facebook, email, msn and so on, then I have no problem at all "doing things together", hahaha.

Another edit smile.gif: About the physics: they are more or less what Pinball Ken explain in some threads a "long" time ago about VP9. After trying many settings I found out that actually what I was doing was changing a setting and compensating with another one, but in the end the result was similar to the start point (PK's settings). So in Mata Hari and in this table the settings are more or less PK's settings. And the only thing you need to change if you want a faster or a slower table is the Global Difficulty Level (the easiest is to choose a value between 0,1 and 0,9).

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#11 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:51 AM

You can query the global difficulty level with
Dim GD
GD=Table1.GlobalDifficulty

of course GD can be anything for a variable name that isn't reserved.

The reason you can't change it on the fly in the script is because of Pintable.cpp
STDMETHODIMP PinTable::get_GlobalDifficulty(float *pVal)
{
*pVal = m_globalDifficulty; //VP Editor

return S_OK;
}

STDMETHODIMP PinTable::put_GlobalDifficulty(float newVal)
{
if (!g_pplayer)
{ //VP Editor
int tmp;
HRESULT hr = GetRegInt("Player", "GlobalDifficulty", &tmp);
if (hr == S_OK) m_globalDifficulty = (float)tmp/100.0f;
else
{
STARTUNDO
if (newVal < 0) newVal = 0;
else if (newVal > 1) newVal = 1;

m_globalDifficulty = newVal;
STOPUNDO
}
}
return S_OK;
}

You can get the difficulty level at any time, but you can only change it if the player isn't running - ie only in the editor options window. Since there are a bunch of different things impacted by the difficulty - scatter angles, table slope, etc etc etc, with a ball in play it could cause bad effects if changed on the fly. As long as a ball isn't in motion possibly hitting stuff it should be ok to comment out the "if (!g_pplayer)" and recompile to change it any time you want. Valid values are from 0.00 to 1.00

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#12 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

Thanks destruk for your explanation. Nice to know smile.gif

I have updated the table fixing the lock. I forgot about one extra switch that must be activated for it to work. Still the lock is a difficult shot, mostly because the whole is very narrow and a fast shot may just hit the wall and the ball will bounce back. If you feel it is to hard, then you may increase the end angle of the flipper which makes the diverter (say for example 220), this will open a little more the hole.

JP

vp.jpg

#13 serpiko

serpiko

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: GTB spirit and all the wonderful tables that you make

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

the mixture of the Rom and the table are a single flipper.
thank you very much and what a beautiful job on the graphics.

#14 rossicomputers

rossicomputers

Gustavo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight 2000

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

About being a millionaire: smile.gif well, not really, but I can't complain. I work as a system manager for the civil government in Oslo, but at least 2 days a week I work in user support, so I just sit there waiting for calls. And even if I have about between 30 and 60 calls a day I still have plenty of time to draw something in photoshop. Since I work from 7 to 15:30 I have plenty of time the rest of day to do things in VP. Anyway I'm not so very fond to go skiing or take a walk in the snow, so this leave me also plenty of free time during the winter. And since my wife has her own computer with mirc, facebook, email, msn and so on, then I have no problem at all "doing things together", hahaha.

Thanks for the complete answer JPS.... You are truly gentleman....

one in a million

I'm your fan

Rossi...

Edited by rossicomputers, 24 April 2010 - 08:33 AM.

#15 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,026 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the quick update.
Posted Image

#16 vic viper

vic viper

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 516 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Xenon, Firepower, Elvis, Gradius (original), Zarza

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Thanks JP, Your tables are always a blast to play. They never get old.
SHOOT THE CORE

#17 Johanpsu

Johanpsu

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: TOM, MB, TOTAN

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

Thanks 4 table, its so playable.

Elvis after Cueball? smile.gif

#18 Mitchell

Mitchell

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,434 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Many

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

I never seen this kind of the table before.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

#19 RealApprentice

RealApprentice

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 199 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

• PS3 Gamer Tag: RealApprentice
  • 360 Gamer Tag: RealApprentice

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

What can I say another enjoyable and good looking table. Thx

#20 Rocko Bonaparte

Rocko Bonaparte

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Revenge From Mars

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

The Revenge From Mars table I have been able to play around here treats the ball fairly differently. In some ways it's easier, and in other ways harder. I notice it particularly with the flippers and slingshots.

After launching the balls and getting past the bumpers, the ball goes down to the left flipper. On the machine I have been playing, I can lift the left flipper beforehand, and without fail, the ball will bounce off the flipper, teeter on top of the left slingshot, and drop down the left inlane. The ball will roll about three quarters back up the flipper before rolling back and getting trapped.

The slingshots on the machine I've been playing are also a lot weaker. Up front this makes for a potentially slower-paced game since it's a lot easier to trap, but eventually faster balls hit the weak slingshot and end up going straight down the drain, rather than across and possible back up the table a ways.

This board seems like it has weaker flippers but stronger slingshots. I wonder if that's how Attack From Mars does it, or if the Revenge From Mars table I play is off in some way. I just started using Visual Pinball and couldn't figure out how to modify the flippers to get the right amount of bounce. Sometimes the ball doesn't quite land on the flipper on this table, though it always does after launch on my game.