Photo
- - - - -

Files for Visual Pinball Where To Put Them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 H82lose

H82lose

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ballys Playboy

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

Can someone please tell me what files go where in Visual Pinball? I noticed that some of the folders kind of remind me of Mame32's directory , so it's been awhile. I have a ton of Wave files that I have and not sure where they go , if they go into the Music folder or Samples folder , but last I checked Samples were for Mame32 for the sound files? Also can I keep the .VBS and .VPS files in the same folder of the Tables in Visual Pinball?

Thanks again.

H82lose
Patrick.

#2 hgpinball

hgpinball

Pinball Fan

• VPF Staff
  • 722 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: my Firepower! ...and my Pin*Bot!

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hi H82lose,

.vpt and .vbs files you put into "tables", ROM zip files to "ROMs", .mp3 to "Music", .nv files to "NVRAM". About wav files I am not sure, mabe some other forum member knows more about it.

Edited by hgpinball, 17 January 2010 - 01:17 PM.

-= H31!\!Z =-

in play: -= Firepower =- -= Pin*Bot =-

#3 H82lose

H82lose

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (hgpinball @ Jan 17 2010, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi H82lose,

.vpt and .vbs files you put into "tables", ROM zip files to "ROMs", .mp3 to "Music", .nv files to "NVRAM". About wav files I am not sure, mabe some other forum member knows more about it.

Got it thanks! I sure like the way Visual Pinball and Future Pinball work , seems less complicated then Pinmame , plus I think the games are a whole lot better ohmy.gif)

By the way , like Pinmame , I know at one time there were rom burning services that people used to get full sets of ROMS that were for use back in the day for Mame , is there such a thing as full table sets for Visual Pinball or Future Pinball? Or do you just have to keep track of what is already available on VP Forums or FP sites?

Thanks..

Patrick.

#4 hgpinball

hgpinball

Pinball Fan

• VPF Staff
  • 722 posts

• Favorite Pinball: my Firepower! ...and my Pin*Bot!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

hm... you may be able to find kind of "Visual Pinball collections" on CDs or DVDs at ebay or elsewhere, but I believe you better spend your money to support the VPForums wink.gif . These collections are mostly outdated (and illegal, by the way!), while at the VPF and on other sites like pinballnirvana.com you find the latest tables and necessary files like ROMs.
I collected about 2000 tables for VP/VPM and FP in the last 4 years, by downloading them from the VPF and other sites. Of course it's a lot of work, but just be patient and d/l one table after the other...
Have fun !

Edited by hgpinball, 18 January 2010 - 06:31 PM.

-= H31!\!Z =-

in play: -= Firepower =- -= Pin*Bot =-

#5 H82lose

H82lose

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (hgpinball @ Jan 18 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hm... you may be able to find kind of "Visual Pinball collections" on CDs or DVDs at ebay or elsewhere, but I believe you better spend your money to support the VPForums wink.gif . These collections are mostly outdated (and illegal, by the way!), while at the VPF and on other sites like pinballnirvana.com you find the latest tables and necessary files like ROMs.
I collected about 2000 tables for VP/VPM and FP in the last 4 years, by downloading them from the VPF and other sites. Of course it's a lot of work, but just be patient and d/l one table after the other...
Have fun !

Great reply! Thanks! I have alot of tables at the time , my main concern , and you guys have answered numorous questions for me , is to make certain that I have the correct files in thier correct folders. I noticed that some of the zipped tables that I have contain certain dll files and some have screens shots and what not , I don't remember seeing a screen shots tab in visual pinball? So I mostly don't care for it anyhow. I just want to make certain that the correct files go where they are supposed to go...... I really like Visual Pinball and the Future Pinball program is not bad either , kinda like how everything is in one file in Future Pinball tables , but that doesn't mean that Visual Pinball is laking in any way shape or form. It still has some pretty remarkable tables that look very close to the original table games that I grew up with in the 70's and 80's! A total blast playing them again , and I can only imagine how long it must have taken the authers of these table games to re-create them and get them running again.

Thanks for you reply....... and I look forward to any and all replys in the future.

Patrick.

#6 yogiholzer

yogiholzer

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,860 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All.

Contributor

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

You eventually may want to read this: http://www.vpforums....u...l&f_id=2610 It's not that you need to follow the instructions as you already seem to have all the things running, but it can give you an overview of all the VP/VPM stuff.

PinMAME is a stand alone program just to emulate roms. You can't play tables with it.

VPinMAME is an addition to VP, which let's you emulate the table roms while playing the tables in VP.

From what I read in your posts that wasn't clear, or?

About the additional files which come with the tables (screenshots, fonts, ...), read at the above link. Some of these files you eventually can use in a frontend, but mostly they aren't necessary. Only some (few) original tables need additional plugins. I think they still aren't available here.

Wav or mp3 files can sometimes be needed on some tables. Check the readme.txt file that comes with the table where to put the files. Usually it's the Music folder of VP. If you still don't have that folder (because it's not created by your installer or what else), just create it. It has to be a subfolder of your VP folder, same as your tables folder.

I hope that all helps a little.
Click the picture frame to visit the pinball people gallery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users