Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Gottlieb Queen of Diamonds

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi all,
I have never been a gamer until a came across Visual and Future Pinball. Needless to say that my existing systems are not that well equipped to handle pinball simulation. I would like to build a system dedicated to running VP and FP and would appreciate any suggestions regarding PC hardware components especially video cards. I would also like to install it in a cab one day. What would be your "Dream Machine"? smile.gif
Thanks,
Scott

#2 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Strike

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

I am using a quad core 6600, 4gb ram, and an Nvidia 250gts. This runs every table from FP and VP on dual monitors (1920x1080 + 1280x1024). FP and VP are at maximum settings. My 8800gt could not quite keep up to VP night mods during multiball at that resolution, but the 250gts has no problem.

I am also not sure if my quad core runs it any better than a duo core cpu would.

#3 Steve Paradis

Steve Paradis

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Favorite Pinball: RFM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

What is your OS Rawd?
I like poutine...Not the russian guy but the fries and gravy and cheese curds stuff.

#4 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Steve Paradis @ Jan 6 2010, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is your OS Rawd?

I am running Vista 32 bit on my cab. I think things may run a bit better in XP with less hardware.

#5 Pinbotic

Pinbotic

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 290 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Pin*Bot

• Trophies:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I am running an ATI 4870 1Gb which can easily max out FP with a dual monitor setup. Very good card at a great value.

#6 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Pinbotic @ Jan 6 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am running an ATI 4870 1Gb which can easily max out FP with a dual monitor setup. Very good card at a great value.

Have you tried running the new version of VP9 with that card? Did the new version adress the ATI issues?

#7 ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

• Platinum Supporter
  • 321 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: NA

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (jsthomps @ Jan 6 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
I have never been a gamer until a came across Visual and Future Pinball. Needless to say that my existing systems are not that well equipped to handle pinball simulation. I would like to build a system dedicated to running VP and FP and would appreciate any suggestions regarding PC hardware components especially video cards. I would also like to install it in a cab one day. What would be your "Dream Machine"? smile.gif
Thanks,
Scott

I just set up a VP Table I running the Simpsons VERY GRAPHIC INTENSIVE

8800GT Dual GPU 1gig onboard bought for 600.00$ when they first hit the market been a good one dual DVI
Asus P5E MB 3.2 Dual core Pentium I would stay with Pentium runs cool AMD HOT

2 gig ram on XP-Pro if you go to 4gig on XP MS has patch to recognize and use the additional 2 gig

But you know I do not think I have ever saturated 2 gig running any game on XP

Creative sound card X-fi when it comes to gaming I do not use onboard anything!

take a peek here!
http://www.it-sg.com... fatalitySC.JPG
http://www.it-sg.com...fatalitySC2.JPG

I know some really like ATI but at this time, I would stay with NVIDIA
http://www.it-sg.com...s/8800gtx-1.JPG
One other thing GET A 600 watt or better Power Supply I use Dual Rail power supplies
I've been building gaming/business systems for 12-15 yrs. professionally. I started on a commodore64
just my 2 cents and a whole lotta cash and time!
but hey it is fun!

I'll post back and let you know how Simpsons runs for me.

Regards,
Clicker
Video Links:
Posted videos (WIP/Helps) of what I have learned/done so far with the help from
FP/VP forum members and want to share with the group.
You Tube Help Videos

Regards,
Clicker
[email protected]

#8 Steve Paradis

Steve Paradis

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Favorite Pinball: RFM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

Not sure Rawd but I think that 32 bit doesnt "push" your Quad correctly.
I have a quad here with 8 gig of Ram and the guy who do the maintenance on it told me that it couldn't run with XP 32bit at the max
because it would limit the ram usage to 2 gig.

Now my 8gig have vista 64bit but since everyone told me they have big problem with it I'm afraid to install it into my cab..

Any thought on this guys?

Steve
I like poutine...Not the russian guy but the fries and gravy and cheese curds stuff.

#9 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

If you aren't multitasking a lot of system intensive operations to fill up 2GB of RAM, then the ram limitation isn't the problem with your machine. You can check the current RAM usage at any time in windows task manager. The Performance tab shows you the total physical memory in use with a green graph for memory with the number below it. There are ways to get windows (32bit) to allow access to a little more ram, but there is no way to get the full 4GB cap limit. 3GB-3.5GB is possible with some manual editing of files. If you need more ram than that it's best to jump to a 64bit OS.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#10 Rawd

Rawd

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Steve Paradis @ Jan 6 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a quad here with 8 gig of Ram and the guy who do the maintenance on it told me that it couldn't run with XP 32bit at the max

Now my 8gig have vista 64bit but since everyone told me they have big problem with it I'm afraid to install it into my cab..

Steve

I am running i7 920/ Vista 64bit / 8gb ram / Nvidia 280gtx on my desktop. I can run HP/FP/VP just fine. smile.gif

I think that 8gb ram is way too much needed for this. I pulled 2 of my 4 gb of ram from my cab pc, and it seemed to run exactly the same on 2gb of ram.

#11 ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

• Platinum Supporter
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Rawd @ Jan 6 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steve

I am running i7 920/ Vista 64bit / 8gb ram / Nvidia 280gtx on my desktop. I can run HP/FP/VP just fine. smile.gif

I think that 8gb ram is way too much needed for this. I pulled 2 of my 4 gb of ram from my cab pc, and it seemed to run exactly the same on 2gb of ram.

Scott:
Link to new video card I would be looking at if i was in the market
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143193
Has anyone here in the forum set up a dual video card SLI system ( 1 card for each monitor ) just curious

Edited by ClickerSnapper, 07 January 2010 - 01:37 PM.

Video Links:
You Tube Help Videos

Regards,
Clicker
[email protected]

#12 ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

• Platinum Supporter
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (ClickerSnapper @ Jan 7 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Rawd @ Jan 6 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steve

Scott:
Link to new video card I would be looking at if i was in the market
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143193
Has anyone here in the forum set up a dual video card SLI system ( 1 card for each monitor ) just curious

Scott

Video of
economical card 80.00 9500GT 80.00 42" visio

But then again What mode do you want to run pinball in FS only or with Backglass?

The More demand you put on the card the better it has to be.

I would suggest you get the highest end card that has the capability options for the setup you plan to configure and if your wallet can stand it!

Not to mention the display... pick your size but make sure it is 1980x1080i capable but a 1280x720 does work, ( not as good of a picture at that res ) I personally like a 42" .

Visio 42" at wm only about 700.00

I do not know if I have seen any videos with a larger display, but have seen videos of some real neat compact units.

chat more later

Edited by ClickerSnapper, 08 January 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Video Links:
You Tube Help Videos

Regards,
Clicker
[email protected]

#13 jsthomps

jsthomps

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Gottlieb Queen of Diamonds

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (ClickerSnapper @ Jan 7 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then again What mode do you want to run pinball in FS only or with Backglass?

I would like to run VP and FP in a dual monitor mode. Thanks for all the great advice guys ... I guess I have my work cut out for me. Some of the recommended video cards cost more that some of my entire entry level systems LOL. By the way can VP run in an "ArcadeRender" mode like FP?
Thanks,
Scott

#14 settingsons

settingsons

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 959 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2 and many EM machines

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

Having been caught by the cabinet building bug (!) I have I have also been researching through various posts on this forum to try to work out the good spec to run both VP and FP on two monitors at the very best level of detail and smoothness.

Initially I was thinking of a Core 2 Quad but after a little more research I think that Core 2 Duo might be good enough with a meaty graphics card.

This link discusses the mulitple cores...
Quad Core and OS Debate

An excerpt in the above post says

"(1) Windows XP SP2 or higher understands multi core processors. Whether 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter.

(2) In order to utilize multiple cores, the Application has to be written to do that. Installing a single threaded game on a multi core computer will result in only 1 core being used by the game. There is an advantage in that the OS can assign other tasks to the idle core(s). So the game can have 1 core's undivided attention. This is not a bad thing, and does result in real performance improvements. But because the game itself only "understands" 1, then it will only use 1. This is the same whether you use XP or Vista. Nearly all past and current applications for PC are only single processor/core aware. This will change over time, for sure. But in many/most cases will require developers to write completely new apps."

I guess with VP running the backglass with a UVPServer there is a good chance that the OS will dedicate the VP process to one core and the other to the UVPServer, however you still have all the OS processes as well so I suppose 4 cores could still be of benefit. It would be interesting to know if the performance monitor in windows shows all 4 cores are being utilised when running FP and separately VP with UVP maxed out - if anyone with a cabinet running at the best level of detail knows (or can check) it would be great to know. wink.gif

In choosing a processor I have also found it useful to look at the PC specs of cabinet makers (like Rawd who manages to run FP maxed out) and comparing their processor benchmark at the site below. This way I can choose a processor that performs at a similar benchmark.

CPU Benchmark Comparisons

Cannot wait to build a cabinet - for the moment I have to be contented with just watching the videos tongue.gif - the wife says it is becoming an obsession.... I think she is right .
Cheers

Edited by settingsons, 10 January 2010 - 09:29 PM.