Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

I’m trying to finish my mini-cab & plan on making a wood lockdown bar. I’ve looked at a lot of mini-cab build threads & most use a homemade lockdown bar, however they don’t show how it’s attached. Quite a few do not have a coin door & neither I, which means no internal access to any sort of locking mechanism. How are people doing this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

#2 nickbuol

nickbuol

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

I would say either neodymium magnets or velcro would be two viable options.  Just ideas as I haven't gone that route, but wanted to toss them out there.

#3 RustyCardores

RustyCardores

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Flash, Playboy, Fishtales & Attack From Mars!

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

My wooden lockbar is slotted so that it sits in place (you could do the same with blocks on the underside that sit inside the cab walls). To hold it down I originally used two springs that hooked to hooks (go figure) either side of the coin door inside. 

Since going SSF with a lockdown exciter, I wanted the lockdown to vibe a little more, so I swapped to using double sided tape to hold it down. This holds it firm in the vertical (remember it is slotted so that it can't move horizontally) but still gives it micromovement for the SSF vibes.  I get about a dozen remove and replaces of the lockdown before I need to replace the tape strips. (Please note that I use a thin rubbery/plasticy style tape and not that papery tape that just peals in half when removed)

When I find some decent magnets, I think I will swap to that method and just let the lockdown sit on some thin padding for the vibes.

Rusty Cardores (Russell Stewart) - Gold Coast, Australia

Twitterhttps://twitter.com/RustyPinball  |  Instagramhttps://www.instagra.../rusty.pinball/  |  Workhttp://www.australianlight.com.au (Australian Landscape Photography)

'SSF' - Get awesome VPX Surround Sound Tactile Feedback in your cab https://www.facebook...oups/SSFeedback/

'Virtual Topper' - It's cooler than you might think! Check out the pics on my Instagram.

#4 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

I would say either neodymium magnets or velcro would be two viable options.  Just ideas as I haven't gone that route, but wanted to toss them out there.

I have an assortment of neodymium magnets so that may work.

My wooden lockbar is slotted so that it sits in place (you could do the same with blocks on the underside that sit inside the cab walls). To hold it down I originally used two springs that hooked to hooks (go figure) either side of the coin door inside. 

Since going SSF with a lockdown exciter, I wanted the lockdown to vibe a little more, so I swapped to using double sided tape to hold it down. This holds it firm in the vertical (remember it is slotted so that it can't move horizontally) but still gives it micromovement for the SSF vibes.  I get about a dozen remove and replaces of the lockdown before I need to replace the tape strips. (Please note that I use a thin rubbery/plasticy style tape and not that papery tape that just peals in half when removed)

When I find some decent magnets, I think I will swap to that method and just let the lockdown sit on some thin padding for the vibes.

Interesting that you tried springs. I thought about using a couple bungee cords.