fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

A new year and a new beta phase is starting again :)

Attached Files

Edited by fuzzel, 27 July 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,829 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

OMG. Already ? I don't complain. Thanks a bunch guys !

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#3 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:44 PM

I'll go ahead and mention this here since you so kindly started this thread, but in the last couple days have had two people mention to me about looping not working in playsound and so I played around with it, and -1 works for infinite loop, but everything else I put there just plays the sound once.

Tested with just downloaded vpx5 beta and did a file new blank table and replaced left flipper code with:

If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then
		LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
		PlaySound SoundFX("fx_flipperup",DOFFlippers), 5, .67, AudioPan(LeftFlipper), 0.05,0,0,1,AudioFade(LeftFlipper)
	End If

which I think should play the sound 5 times, only does once.  if I put -1 there instead of 5 it does the expected repeating of the sound indefinitely.

Thanks, and I look forward to playing with the new stuff :)

#4 allknowing2012

allknowing2012

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: bucaneer

Contributor

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Perhaps there is a simple answer but .. should there be an entry in key preferences for the "lift" key that is required for the older tables to lift a ball into the trough. I believe it is coded as a magnasave button now.

* I don't know everything - I just have no life *
testimageNL

#5 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:57 AM

Perhaps there is a simple answer but .. should there be an entry in key preferences for the "lift" key that is required for the older tables to lift a ball into the trough. I believe it is coded as a magnasave button now.

I think I've seen others use "A" as well, kind of up to the table builder on what they want to use now, I second the motion to make a "BallLiftKey" select able keycode in the key preferences. 

I would also like to see the secondary flipper buttons, for dual leaf flippers, added to be able to be selectable in the key preferences.  keyStagedFlipperL and keyStagedFlipperR are currently set to just the main flipper keys in VPMKeys.vbs and keyUpperRight and KeyUpperLeft are set to ' and A keys respectively.  Are there games that have actual separate buttons for the upper flippers or are/should those basically the same thing?

#6 xenonph

xenonph

I have Pinball Fever!

• VIP
  • 3,893 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Classic-Congo-Xenon-PINBOT-BOP-LOTR-A Real American Hero OPERATION PINBALL-Millionaire-Whirlwind-Krull-NFL-BlackKnight-FishTales

Contributor

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:28 AM

"Are there games that have actual separate buttons for the upper flippers or are/should those basically the same thing?"

Haunted house comes to mind.

Check this topic for list mjr compiled of tables with extra flipper buttons and any other buttons and what they are used for...

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=30377

CHECK OUT THIS TUTORIAL http://www.vpforums....howtopic=32515
TO USE DB2S BACKGLASS PROGRAM WITH DESKTOP TABLES ON 1 MONITOR

#7 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

Layers man. More layers.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#8 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

Layers man. More layers.

I’m just an avid player, not a dev, but would extra layers make it easier to create kickout saucers that allow for the ball to swirl into place? I love that effect. Adds a lot of realism.

Thanks to fuzzel for opening up 10.5 beta cycle. You guys are so on top of it!

#9 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

The additional layers would help me to better distribute the many objects for development purposes. Right now, I so many objects in my tables that the 8 layers are just become very very crowded and its difficult to sometimes find the object I need.  Would love to see 16 total layers if the engine can support it. But anything additional would certainly help.

Edited by wrd1972, 10 January 2018 - 02:52 AM.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#10 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:55 AM

The ability to name layers would also be nice, and what would be even more awesome would be the ability to set a layer as the current active layer and then anything you create would automatically go on that layer, and if you did a window select of a bunch of stuff only those things on the current active layer would be selected.

I know, not cool blingy, flashy stuff that the end-user on his cab or desktop will be impressed by, but would sure make it a lot nicer for the guys(and gals?) building the tables for all to enjoy.

#11 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

"Are there games that have actual separate buttons for the upper flippers or are/should those basically the same thing?"

Check this topic for list mjr compiled of tables with extra flipper buttons and any other buttons and what they are used for...

Yes buddy there are many games that have "dual flipper action".  I just got back from the holidays with my brother that had bought 2 games since the last time I saw him.  No good gofers and Tommy.  I was working on Tommy and I noticed that the left flipper was a dual leaf switch for upper and lower flipper.  I had to adjust so I could cradle a ball and still flip the other flipper.  It was very cool to "show off" to my bro. I only have single switches on all my pin sim cabs but I think we should allow it as it should be about saving the real game as close as possible not what most people have at a given time.  Love this crowd, hope everyone has a kick ass 2018!!!!!!!!

many williams have this    taf, maybe sttng, tz. etc.  Love how the coil works with these, great design

Edited by Slydog43, 10 January 2018 - 03:19 AM.

#12 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,336 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:34 AM

Yes buddy there are many games that have "dual flipper action".  I just got back from the holidays with my brother that had bought 2 games since the last time I saw him.  No good gofers and Tommy.  I was working on Tommy and I noticed that the left flipper was a dual leaf switch for upper and lower flipper.  I had to adjust so I could cradle a ball and still flip the other flipper.  It was very cool to "show off" to my bro. I only have single switches on all my pin sim cabs but I think we should allow it as it should be about saving the real game as close as possible not what most people have at a given time.  Love this crowd, hope everyone has a kick ass 2018!!!!!!!!

many williams have this    taf, maybe sttng, tz. etc.  Love how the coil works with these, great design

Just about all 90's WMS games and DE / SEGA / STERN (with some limits game to game) (pre SAM).

I don't think that pinmame is fully setup for dual stage control

#13 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

You feel like a boss when you can stage flippers on Tron and make the right ramp. Not too much point in doing it all the time because it's hard and not much advantage, but satisfying.

Kind of figured this bug but why. Are these physics set saved somewhere else. They need going into physics options changing a value, click another set and save before they work.

Toxie got rid of touchscreen message?

Edited by chepas, 10 January 2018 - 07:06 AM.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#14 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I'll go ahead and mention this here since you so kindly started this thread, but in the last couple days have had two people mention to me about looping not working in playsound and so I played around with it, and -1 works for infinite loop, but everything else I put there just plays the sound once.

Tested with just downloaded vpx5 beta and did a file new blank table and replaced left flipper code with:

If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then
		LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
		PlaySound SoundFX("fx_flipperup",DOFFlippers), 5, .67, AudioPan(LeftFlipper), 0.05,0,0,1,AudioFade(LeftFlipper)
	End If

which I think should play the sound 5 times, only does once.  if I put -1 there instead of 5 it does the expected repeating of the sound indefinitely.

Thanks, and I look forward to playing with the new stuff :)

Is this since 10.5? Or also with earlier versions?

#15 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

It was definitely in 10.4 final as well. Not sure about earlier, I actually had not ever tried looping something just twice or 3 times, only ever used 0 or -1 myself.

Edited by BorgDog, 10 January 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#16 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

That's good enough.. I just wanted to rule out the update of the BASS library that i did with 10.5.. Thanks!

#17 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,829 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

The first and last I tried the loop stuff was in Oct '17. Thought it was a case of "stupid me", so I never reported it, just adjusted the audio instead :)

So, no clue when it started, but at least you know that it is at least a 3 month old bug.

Edited by Thalamus, 10 January 2018 - 05:03 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#18 Pin-Pete

Pin-Pete

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: Pin*Bot,Cyclone

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Here we go again.Towards 10.5! Thank you for your hard work, guys. :D

Greetings:Petri

#19 Umpa

Umpa

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 737 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for all the hard work! It is very appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#20 LeChucksBeard

LeChucksBeard

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

• Favorite Pinball: dontknow

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

I think this might be a bug...This happened on Indiana Jones and Gilligan's Island (haven't tested more tables for this). The ball looks like a disco ball, with small dots of lights all over, rather than the normal highlights. Quiting and restarting the table (from PinballX) cleared it. On Gilligan, when the ball gets into that pit at the top right, the light dots are hanging *above* the ball.