Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: STNG/TAF/IJ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

Update: 13 September, 2018

After a hiatus of 8 months, I have returned to the VPin scene and am currently updating my cabinet software and I will be updating the posts here with new links to photos.

Update: 27 February, 2019

See latest posts at the end of this thread for updates:  PuP is now the front-end system, 70-80 tables all set up, FX2 and FX3 set up with DOFLinx. 

Update: 25 January, 2022

New photos added with the amazing VPW version of the Judge Dredd table

=========================================================

Introduction

It’s been over 12 months in the making, but I’m ready to start my own Virtual Pinball build.  First, I’d like to give a shout out and thank you to all the posts on this forum that have helped me get going,  the replies to PMs and request for information of other forum member’s build.  The Virtual Pin community is what makes this forum and others successful, and helps with the encouragement of partaking in this hobby. Special thanks to members I’ve chatted to on this forum and other related forums regularly – In particular MJR, Lucky1, Freezy, Stucca,OneVox,. A special shout out to Roar and Kvoxx who I have bounced around ideas with and for their help over the past year.  Also to others that I may not have had direct discussions with but read and value your posts –  ie. Randr, TerryRed, GTXJoe  :-) I’m sure I forgotten a few, I apologize ! I’m sure it’s a list I’ll be adding to over time ;-)

Background

So it all started December 2015, I found about virtual pinball machines, and started to read up on what was involved. Watched a ton of YouTube videos – I probably watched Randr’s video 2 dozen times in one sitting! J

The reality of it all, it’s not a cheap endeavour  - especially if I was planning to go “balls in” so to speak. Yes, there are budget builds, but I feel part of the emulation is the feel of the virtual pinball overall.  The cabinet hardware, the sounds, the look of the cabinet etc. It all plays a part it in the whole experience. I figured I’d pick up parts as my budget would allow over the months and as I figured out what my end game would be. 

During 2016, I started picking up parts for the build. PC Motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD , PSU etc. I spread the purchasing across the whole year as budget would allow. I figured this way it wouldn’t *seem* I was spending a lot of $$ ;-)
Also I would avoid having a project sit for a long time in a half finished state – something I really wanted to avoid which could easily happen when you’re waiting on parts. Space in my household is sparse as it is.

I did a LOT of research. Read lots of Build threads here and on other forums, watched videos on YouTube.  I didn’t want to just hack up two/three screens in a box playing the game,  I wanted something that looks, feels and plays as close as I can get it to a real machine.  

I have realised that there is no “proper” or “right” way to go about building the VirtualPin, it will just depend on what you’re comfortable with. With my build, I would like to keep the spirit of a real machine as much as I could within reason. 

The Cabinet.

The first dilemma was whether to build the cabinet from scratch or get a donor cab. I spent several weeks  looking into getting a prebuilt cab like that on VirtuaPin,  but after you factor in the shipping, $CAD to $USD exchange rate , shipping etc. it was a costly endeavor. I posted in the local classifieds and after a few weekswas lucky to find an old Bally Judge Dredd cabinet in pretty good shape for a couple hundred dollars.

20160924_162536.jpg

20160924_173239.jpg

20160924_162625.jpg

hehe - I love how it looks like JD is in a mini kart!

The cab's label indicates it 220/240v, so I'm thinking this is one of the machines that maybe re-imported back into Nth America from a European collection and stripped at some point.  The guy I bought it off had got it from someone else as a project rebuild but then gave up on the idea.

Working on the Cabinet

The Backbox

So I started the first job.  The plan is to take the top off the backbox, and route in channels to fit a 32" decased tv for the backglass display.  It took a a couple beers, some thinking, and a mallet, but I got the top off. Yeah, its a solid build, and they said it couldnt be don:hmm:

But later in the build I had a setback. When decasing the Vizio 32" I had acquired for the backbox display, I destroyed one of the thin foil ribbon connectors - agh!!  Waste of a TV - some consolation was that I got it pretty cheap. Another things,  It was also going to be touch and go trying to get the 32" decased screen to fit a std size backbox. I was thinking of getting a custom one from VirtuaPin but shipping costs killed again along with the poor Canadian to US exchange rate. I really wanted to use the existing cab in my build, and I had a couple ideas on how to expand the back box by 1-2", but in the end I decided it was a lot of work for minimal payback and acquired a 28" Samsung TV.  Also the other thing to consider in finding a backbox TV, was finding one that would remember its power state. It would just make things easier later. 

Later in the build I found a 30" monitor. Not cheap, but it would make me a lot happier with my build, so I reconfigured the backbox for the 30" screen.

The Body

I decided to fit the 46" TV I had acquired for the playfield,  After a lot of back on forth on ideas on how to fit a 46" display to an existing cabinet, I decided I was going to create a rear door and then route channels to slide the playfield display inside. I have see other's use 42" tvs to fit on a frame or sit a 46" tv on top of the cab in other donor cab builds. I want to have some depth in my machine and have room for where the standard flasher bar would go.

After removing the wooden runners from the bottom of the cab, I used a jigsaw to cut out the rear access door. Boy, are these things are built SOLIDLY!

20161023_174904.jpg

20161023_220053.jpg

I tried to get the blade as close to the wall of the cab as possible. There was some bending in the blade, but for the most part it came out ok. I sanded down a couple rough spots and when I paint the cab, it will blend in so wont be noticed. I'll have a think on how I will secure the access door. Most likely a hinge system. That's something I'll be doing as I wind up the build. I have a long way to go yet!

Although there are some rough spots, it looks good.

Routing the Channels for the Playfield Display

I've never used a router before, so my first time was to make the channels for the playfield display! I had to do several passes to get it to the angle I wanted and also to try and fix some of the gouges that occurred when the router slipped  :facepalm:

20161112_132926.jpg

20161112_133401.jpg

Using a 2x4" as a "fence" for the router. Make sure your screws are secure as i had a couple move on me. Also make sure you push the router in the correct direction its designed to work with - I went the wrong way a couple times and ripped the sides of my channel   :facepalm:  At least I did the work outside and not in my shed or the house ( Was it TerryRed who used a router in his basement and got sawdust everywhere?  :unsure: )  A ton of sawdust gets created!

Edited by kiwiBri, 25 January 2022 - 01:47 PM.

Completed: (For now ;) )  - My 46/30/DMD Judge Dredd Cab Build

#2 roar

roar

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TOM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Whoa... that ended abruptly... I was just getting into it! Looking good kiwiBri!

Judge Dredd does look good on a wagon and the balls in comment made me laugh out loud!

Keep posting, can never get enough of good build threads.

#3 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Whoa... that ended abruptly... I was just getting into it! Looking good kiwiBri!

Judge Dredd does look good on a wagon and the balls in comment made me laugh out loud!

Keep posting, can never get enough of good build threads.

yeah, I was doing that during my lunch break at work :-) 

I have reworded some paragraphs and added more photos/text to the first post. Will post as things come along and I get time to update. :)

#4 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Fitting the Playfield Display

To make it easier in fitting the TV, I took off the rear plastic panel, and used that to determine the fit. Easier than lifting the whole display in and out of the cab and risk damaging it. For the TV to fit in well, I removed a thin strip of plastic on the top edge with a hacksaw. That would allow it to fit better in the cabinet and I wouldn't have to decase it. On a side note, I have kept the ground braid wire from the original cab. It may come handy later perhaps. 

For testing, I fired up my laptop and and ran PinballFx 2.. I also ran some of the full table videos of Visual Pinball  I found on YouTube. This gave me a feel for what the playfield would look like when playing the game. It was great to do this as I was given a boost of excitement for the project as a whole. Things are looking good.. 

20161118_005622.jpg

Here is a Youtube Video being played full screen to simulate a playfield.. 

20161118_124806.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 13 September 2018 - 10:32 PM.

#5 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Painting

So its time to paint the cab. I decided I will paint the routed channels and the areas at the rear of the cab where I had cut the access door.  I wanted to keep the natural colour of the inside of the  cab to make it easier to view components etc as it would be dark enough when the playfield display is installed. I think painting the inside Black would not help when trying to find dropped screws and bolts later!

I started with painting the top part of the cab and the top of the backbox

20161118_140957.jpg

Buttons

The Judge Dredd machine has two sets of buttons on either side. The second set just below the traditional flipper buttons were for some special function in the game I believe. My plan is to wire them up as extra buttons for the "Magna-save" feature some tables have. The only catch is that I had to enlarge them to fit flipper buttons:

20161129_220442.jpg

20161129_215425.jpg

20161129_221736.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 13 September 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#6 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:01 AM

Cleaning the Cab.

I decided that I should clean down the cab as much as I can as I may want to put a new decal on it at some stage. It would be easier to clean it up now than later. I used some "googone" spray and actually a lot of elbow grease to clean off the residue of the old side rail tape. Man that OEM tape is super strong. 

After this, I had sourced a couple of used side rails from online classifieds. They arrived and were in good shape. What a job it was to remove the backing tape and stickyness from them. I used the GooGone and elbow grease and it was a lot of work.   I have some photos, but they seem to be MIA right now. 

Backbox 

I decided to respray the back of the backbox, but I made sure I taped over the warning message text. Kind of nice to have some original touches on the machine if I can keep them.  I also pencilled in the locations where I would install fans, but I am thinking to hold off the fans until I see how hot things get. I'm thinking that modern TVs don't generate a lot of heat, and although the original DMDs had plasma DMDs, they just had vent holes at the top of the backbox. It would be great to keep things as "OEM" as possible.  EDIT: Later on in my build I replaced the TV with a larger computer monitor that really got pretty warm, so I did in fact cut two cutouts for extractor fans.

20170110_202732.jpg

Moving the Cabinet into the House.

The previous posts and photos cover a period of a couple weeks before the Canadian winter arrived, so October/Nov 2016. I had a friend help me bring the cab into the house literally as the snowflakes were falling around us! lol!!  The plan would be to get stuck into the build over the winter months.

20161219_232700.jpg

20170101_142915.jpg

December was busy with Christmas coming up along with the holidays. I managed to get some  work done. I did get my panels for the DMD project up and working and it was a great morale boost that's for sure! I plan to revisit the DMD when I get to the speaker panel section. I still need to get the replacement TV for the backbox which I destroyed in the de-casing incident. 

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:29 AM.

#7 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

For now, here's a little DMD teaser...

20161203_112000.jpg

20161204_210246.jpg

Hardware build continues..

Installed the coin door...

20170111_002504.jpg

and other hardware...

20170111_002606.jpg

Used original type of winghead bolts...

20170110_202750.jpg

Painted some bolts.. 

20170115_111506.jpg

20170115_155208.jpg

Stapled down the plastic glass runners..

20170115_155129.jpg

Touched up some paint work on the cab and filled holes..

20170117_195340.jpg

20170111_002536.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:33 AM.

#8 brycro5

brycro5

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Arabian Nights

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hey KiwiBri, Im also starting standard cab build with windows 10. would you mind if I picked you brain for the downloads?

#9 tthurman

tthurman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

That's a cool looking cab, and as already mentioned, sitting on that Radio Flyer is priceless :tup:

The router does make a decent size mess, wait to you let it loose on some mdf!

#10 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

Love these build threads! Great job!

randr___pinball.png                         

#11 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hey KiwiBri, Im also starting standard cab build with windows 10. would you mind if I picked you brain for the downloads?

no problem.. ask away (PM is fine or another thread)

That's a cool looking cab, and as already mentioned, sitting on that Radio Flyer is priceless :tup:

The router does make a decent size mess, wait to you let it loose on some mdf!

ha! yes, I found out about the mess. Been working on the Speaker Panel in my shed over the (Canadian) winter.. saw dust everywhere. Except I'm using Plywood for my speaker panel(s)  -lol. to be explained in my upcoming update. Just been so busy with other things the past few weeks...  stay tuned..

#12 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Love these build threads! Great job!

randr!  thanks..  what until you see my updates. I especially proud of the Speaker Panel and DMD.. will be updating the build soon. 

and Actually your VPin video's on Youtube with your wife demoing the games is what got me looking into building my own VP! ha!  Trust me, I'm sure I've added over 100+ views of your videos :)  

#13 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

It's a great hobby! Enjoy it. Such great people around this community.

randr___pinball.png                         

#14 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:06 AM

The Cabinet came into the house in Nov 2016, and I've been working on it and its components in my spare time since then.

Force Feedback

Also during this time I looked into the Pinscape boards, and ordering components for the flasher bar along with the miscellaneous bits and pieces I will need such as hookup wiring, terminal strips, terminal connectors, tools (I need a better wire stripper). A lot of the items are coming from Amazon or AliExpress/Ebay so there are several weeks/months  away. Meanwhile, there's still a lot more I can work on.

Testing the sound system

I went with 4" car speakers and 6 1/2" bass speaker for the sound system. The 6 1/2" bass will fit the existing cabinet mounting hole without any modifications. The 4" speaker would fit the speaker panel and look good with the DMD slot size I will be using. I am also using a Lepai 2.1 amp like many other builds have done.

I decided to set up the speakers to test out the sound. Initially I had the 2 speakers plugged into my phone as a test. Man, talk about crap sound. I then tried with the bass and it was slightly better but still crap really. I then connected up my laptop to the amp and played pinball arcade and pinball fx2. Much, much better than before. It will be fine for what I need it for I guess, but it won't win any audio awards.

20170106_231812.jpg

Glass Issue

When I went to test the cab with the widebody spec'd glass, I found there was a gap as the body of the cabinet had bowed out over time. I had to order a custom sheet of glass, slightly wider by 1/4" to fit better in my cab

20170109_230525.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#15 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

Backglass Screen

I purchased a 28" Samsung tv as the replacement for the backbox screen. I initially planned to use. a 32" screen, and even with it decased I would have to route out the sides of the backbox - it would be a tight fit. I believe you really would need a custom backbox to get a 32" to fit. Since I'm retrofitting a real cabinet, I didnt want to make a new backbox from scratch. It would be messy to try and expand the width of the backbox I have, so I settled for the 28" display.  The display has memory on feature, so will turn on automatically when power is applied to it, so that's something that will help later on.

Update:

I actually replaced the 28" TV with a 30" Monitor. The backbox now makes me happy :) With the monitor there is a LOT more heat produced so I'll be installing some fans to suck out the warm air out.

Here I am laying out components to get an idea of the size of the speaker panel I would use. From what I could make out from real machines, a WPC speaker panel is about 8.5" tall. I decided to make mine 9" tall and it would look pretty good.   I used a piece of cardboard cut to size to visualize what the speaker panel would look like....

20170118_213006.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:40 AM.

#16 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

The Speaker Panel

This is what I've been busy the past 4 weeks on - (Jan- Feb 2017) !!

I got some ideas for the speaker panel from other build threads I've read. I started by marking up the dimensions and realized to get a decent straight edge the jigsaw would not be enough and so used a flush trim router bit to get a straight edge.  As a finishing touch I then used a bevel edge to round off the edges for the speaker and DMD holes.

I signed up for Amazon Prime over the holidays and its been great for ordering the odd bits and pieces I found I need with a timely delivery time. Sometimes I am truely amazed at the speed of delivery service.

Also, we're now mid winter in Ontario where the outside temperature is around  0c to -10c ( 32F to 14F)  !  I have been working in my outdoor shed with a small utility heater and my ski gear on  :lol:  :ph34r:  

Marking up the Speaker panel..based on my sketches :)    I am using 1/2" plywood here with a decent finish. 

I cut the speaker holes but then DISASTER!!! - I was routing out the backside of the DMD hole - the plan is to put a real WPC DMD lens in a recess of the speaker panel - and the router slipped, and I screwed up the cuts. Hours of work gone to waste was my immediate thought.. but as I started to make my second speaker panel I realized I could solve the issue I still had with regards to mounting the DMD to the speaker panel... more on that later.. 

here's the second speaker panel taking shape...  I'm getting good at this...

20170212_162139.jpg

20170215_081544.jpg

20170215_081725.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:42 AM.

#17 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Putting the Speaker Panel Together

I was initially going to use a PC 17" monitor for the DMD like many builds. After seeing someone elses setup - they had a lot of hassles with the DMD screen not being opened correctly for each game (just needs to be setup up I assume) but also the lack of "punch" that a LED or Plasma DMD offers I decided to go the DMD route.  The ability to fold the Head down on the cabinet would be lost too.  I had initially planned to use a real DMD which I bought off ebay, but after seeing the premade ones on offer, with the ease of plug and play along with a colour display I decided that would be the way I would go.  The solution I came up with is one based on an open source /community project*

I continued work on the new speaker panel. I made a fence and this time successfully was able to create a recess around the DMD slot. This would be to hold the WPC lens. From the front of the panel, the DMD lens would not now seem to be too far back from the leading face. 

By some sort of magic or actually incredible fluke, the initial recess I cut out fits the panel !! :dblthumb:  :dblthumb: I could not believe how it fits into the corners almost like I planned it that way! It was more like that because the fence I had built for the router stopped the cutting bit reaching the corner.. 

I decided against trying to clear out all the corners as this fit was nice and tight and reduce movement.  I'm still amazed how well this worked out for me - good news after the initial screw up with the first panel. It's just like a bought one :lol:   :P

I went back to the first speaker panel and had an idea to use that to sit on top of the new panel. This way the speaker mesh would be sandwiched in between them. Also the DMD panel would mount in the slot and be up high enough to sit in the right position above the WPC lens. I marked up the new layout and also installed T-Nuts to mount the speakers to. (Thanks Roar for the idea!) It makes sense so not to chew up the wood if I have to remove them.

The first speaker panel now will act as a DMD/Speaker mount...I then installed t-nuts on the backside of the new speaker panel.. this will allow me to sandwhich the newly build mount and the panel together...

I ordered the parts and used a 3D printed mount to put the LED panels together, then mounted them to the wooden mount made from the first speaker panel...

Volia!

20170222_001505.jpg

Looks good...

20170221_234939.jpg

Edited by kiwiBri, 14 September 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#18 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

{Edited}

Edited by kiwiBri, 13 September 2018 - 06:55 PM.

#19 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

Things left to be done:

- Audio install

- Software install

- Wiring of input buttons

- Flasher bar build and test

- Force feedback install and test

- Final touches 

#20 kiwiBri

kiwiBri

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

I mounted the DMD Power supply in backbox behind the speaker panel and measured out the size of acrylic I will need for the "translite/backglass".  I plan to sketch out the dimensions of the flasher bar and how it will be mounted in the cab. LEDs etc are expected to arrived in the next week or so.  

The dreaded software install of PinballX, Visual Pinball etc is looming now.. lol.. I don't know why I am so nervous with the install... maybe because it does seem very intimidating.

Edited by kiwiBri, 27 February 2017 - 02:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: widebody retrofit, cabinet conversion, DMD, Judge Dredd