Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

PinKadia! The Ultimate virtual Pinball / Arcade / PC combo cabinet!

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#121 nickbuol

nickbuol

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

The problem with all of this awesomeness and greatness is that those of us that have been held off from starting a project due to life situations (ex: ME), have a much more daunting task of building an ultimate cabinet.  I am one of those "I like to do it right the first time" kind of guys, and the more cool stuff that gets added is just THAT much MORE planning, cost, tinkering, etc.  Ugh.  I wish I just had a big bag of money laying around that I could just pay someone to make a machine for me sometimes. 

#122 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,007 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

And after returning from holidays I just played the alpha of MOTU with addressable LEDs.  Super entertaining.  Great job TerryRed, those effects while playing are AMAZING!

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#123 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

Masters of the Universe: Mastered. DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

You have the power of the ultimate light show in a pinball cabinet! This is the first Future Pinball table to use addressable leds thanks to the new DOF led MX support in DOFLinx 5.20!

You have never seen a light show quite like this in a pinball cabinet! Amazing effects and animation that surround the playfield!

A video demonstration can be seen here in my cabinet:

This table has the complete cabinet feedback and lighting support for the following:

- 10 solenoids for flipper, slingshots, bumpers, etc..
- 5 RGB flashers
- Blower Fan
- Shaker
- Gear motor
- Strobe
- Beacon
- Start button
- Coin button
- Launch Ball button
- RGB Undercab Lighting
- Addressable leds

Requirements:

- DOF R3 installed (for DOFLinx cabinet feedback and lighting) and addressable leds already setup and working (for MX led effects).
- DOFlinx 5.20 or higher is REQUIRED, even if you don't have addressable leds.
- addressable leds are NOT required to play this table, but they are HIGHLY recommended.
- to use the addressable leds with this table you must have your DOF "config" files updated by using DOF Config Tool! (just like you would for Visual Pinball)

To play a Future Pinball table with addressable leds support (DOFLinx MX):

- update DOFLinx as per normal (must be 5.20 or higher). Make sure you copy over the new DOFLinx.vbs to "Future Pinball \ Scripts". 
- add DIRECTOUTPUTGLOBAL=c:\DirectOuput\Config\GLobalConfig_b2sServer.xml   (assuming you have it there)  to your DOFLinx.ini file.
- download the awesomeness of a Future Pinball DOFLinx MX table
- check DOF Config Tool to see if support for that table has been added to it yet  (you will see FP tables start with "FP:") If there are no DOF commands showing for that table, its not supported yet.
- "Generate" a new Config File (containing directoutputconfig30.ini in the zip)  and copy the new files to your "DirectOutput \ Configs"  folder.
- play the epicness that is Future Pinball with DOFLinx cabinet feedback and addressable leds!

DOFLinx 5.20+ download link:

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=12318

Table will be here when approved:

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=13089

#124 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:07 AM

Star Wars Death Star Assault: DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

Witness the most explosive light show in a pinball cabinet thanks to the new DOF addressable led MX support in DOFLinx 5.20!

You have never seen a light show quite like this in a pinball cabinet! Amazing effects and animation that surround the playfield!

- Lightsabers,
- explosions
- X-Wing and Tie-Fighter Blasters
- flashing words like SPECIAL, PADAWAN, JEDI, SOLO
- targetting computer
- video mode

A video demonstration in my cabinet can be seen here:

This table has the complete cabinet feedback and lighting support for the following:

- 5 RGB flashers
- Blower Fan
- Shaker
- Gear motor
- Strobe
- Beacon
- Start button
- Coin button
- Launch Ball button

- Fire button
- RGB Undercab Lighting
- Addressable leds

Requirements:

- DOF R3 installed (for DOFLinx cabinet feedback and lighting) and addressable leds already setup and working (for MX led effects).
- DOFlinx 5.20 or higher is REQUIRED, even if you don't have addressable leds.
- addressable leds are NOT required to play this table, but they are HIGHLY recommended.
- to use the addressable leds with this table you must have your DOF "config" files updated by using DOF Config Tool! (just like you would for Visual Pinball)

To play a Future Pinball table with addressable leds support (DOFLinx MX):

- update DOFLinx as per normal (must be 5.20 or higher). Make sure you copy over the new DOFLinx.vbs to "Future Pinball \ Scripts". 
- add DIRECTOUTPUTGLOBAL=c:\DirectOuput\Config\GLobalConfig_b2sServer.xml   (assuming you have it there)  to your DOFLinx.ini file.
- download the awesomeness of a Future Pinball DOFLinx MX table
- check DOF Config Tool to see if support for that table has been added to it yet  (you will see FP tables start with "FP:") If there are no DOF commands showing for that table, its not supported yet.
- "Generate" a new Config File (containing directoutputconfig30.ini in the zip)  and copy the new files to your "DirectOutput \ Configs"  folder.
- play the epicness that is Future Pinball with DOFLinx cabinet feedback and addressable leds!

DOFLinx 5.20+ download link:

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=12318

Table will be available here when approved:

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=13093

Edited by TerryRed, 26 September 2017 - 12:12 AM.

#125 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Since I haven't really done any FX2 videos for DOFLinx, I think the new release of 5.20 which supports addressable leds makes this a good reason to have a video demonstration.

DOFLinx is the complete cabinet experience for Pinball FX2!

-addressable leds

-B2S active backglass

-full DOF feedback and lighting support

Add in freezy's dmdext for virtual DMD (clean round dots) or real DMD support

#126 DR Peters

DR Peters

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Addams family

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

Hi Terryred

I am heading down the same path with regards monitor set up. I have 46 inch playfield, 32 inch back glass and 19 inch dmd/topper. Out of interest what is the height and width of the cut outs for the 19 inch monitor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DR Peters, 27 September 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#127 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

Retroflair: DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

Wipeout: DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

Witness a modern light show in a retro theme, thanks to the new DOF addressable led MX support in DOFLinx 5.20!

A video demonstration in my cabinet can be seen here:

These tables have the complete cabinet feedback and lighting support for the following:

- 5 RGB flashers
- Blower Fan
- Shaker
- Gear motor
- Strobe
- Beacon
- Start button
- Coin button
- Launch Ball button

- RGB Undercab Lighting
- Addressable leds

#128 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:36 PM

Finally, my new screen has come in. Upgraded to a 43 inch 4K TV, and it looks beautiful. Everything is crisp and clean and smooth, no lag. Here's an updated video of the Gameroom and TerryRed Studios.....  default_wink.png

#129 DR Peters

DR Peters

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hi TerryRed

I am after some assistance if you don't mind. After being inspired by your set up I now have a topper and dmd on my third screen.

All is fine when in the pinballx menu but as soon as I start a pinball fx2 table the right hand side of the topper is blocked out by what appears to be a black box. The dmd works fine (I have configured the dmd position within pinball fx2 - I assume this is correct?). Visual pinball and future pinball work fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Dave

#130 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hi TerryRed

I am after some assistance if you don't mind. After being inspired by your set up I now have a topper and dmd on my third screen.

All is fine when in the pinballx menu but as soon as I start a pinball fx2 table the right hand side of the topper is blocked out by what appears to be a black box. The dmd works fine (I have configured the dmd position within pinball fx2 - I assume this is correct?). Visual pinball and future pinball work fine.

Thanks

Dave

Do you have Pinball X somehow change any of your screen's :  resolution / position / orientation before launching an FX2 table?

If so, then you may have this happen when using a video for Topper, Backglass, or DMD and still have it display after launching a table.  If you use just a still image, then this may not happen.

Some people have their screen in portrait mode and then change back and forth,etc....  that is bad.

You should just leave your playfield screen (and the other screens) at their normal positions and resolution all the time, and just have FX2, FP, and VP do the playfield screen rotation...do not have the "windows" layout change the screens at all.

The only exception would be for TPA, but I don't use it anymore.

#131 DR Peters

DR Peters

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hi TerryRed

Thanks
Dave

Do you have Pinball X somehow change any of your screen's :  resolution / position / orientation before launching an FX2 table?

If so, then you may have this happen when using a video for Topper, Backglass, or DMD and still have it display after launching a table.  If you use just a still image, then this may not happen.

Some people have their screen in portrait mode and then change back and forth,etc....  that is bad.

You should just leave your playfield screen (and the other screens) at their normal positions and resolution all the time, and just have FX2, FP, and VP do the playfield screen rotation...do not have the "windows" layout change the screens at all.

The only exception would be for TPA, but I don't use it anymore.
Thanks for your reply, this is how I have things set up. When windows starts my playfield is in portrait mode, screens 2 and 3 are landscape.

When pinballx starts it runs a program called iRotate which flips the playfield monitor to landscape. In Pinballx I then rotate screen 1 by 270 degrees so the playfield is back in portrait mode for playing. This was the only way I could get VP and FP to play tables in full screen portrait mode.

If I understand you correctly I should not be rotating the screen in pinballx is that correct? How do I get the playfield in VP and FP to go portrait full screen? I’ve never been able to get it to work any other way than the way I have it now.

Everything was working fine until I configured the dmd in PFX2

Love this little hobby but can be so frustrating at times - lol

Edited by DR Peters, 08 October 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#132 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

I literally leave my playfield in Landscape orientation all the time in windows. It never ever changes.

It loads up in Windows in Landscape. Pinball X then is configured to rotate the playfield screen 270 (this is only for Pinball X and leaves the Windows playfield screen's orientation at Landscape).

VP also has a setting for rotating the PF screen to 270 (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation). Enable  "Use always FS backdrop settings (Cabinet / Rotated Screen usage)"

FX2 also has the option to rotate the PF screen to 270 in the cabinet settings (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation).

FP also has the option to rotate the PF screen to 270 in the Video Options (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation).

So otherwords...get rid of irotate completely. Don't have any program alter the windows screen layout......but DO have PBX, VP, FX2, and FP set to rotate the screen to 270.

Anytime any of the screens in windows change after PBX is running it may mess up your videos if you want Topper or other videos to play after a table is launched.

Edited by TerryRed, 08 October 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#133 DR Peters

DR Peters

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

I literally leave my playfield in Landscape orientation all the time in windows. It never ever changes.

It loads up in Windows in Landscape. Pinball X then is configured to rotate the playfield screen 270 (this is only for Pinball X and leaves the Windows playfield screen's orientation at Landscape).

VP also has a setting for rotating the PF screen to 270 (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation). Enable  "Use always FS backdrop settings (Cabinet / Rotated Screen usage)"

FX2 also has the option to rotate the PF screen to 270 in the cabinet settings (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation).

FP also has the option to rotate the PF screen to 270 in the Video Options (which will not affect windows playfield screen orientation).

So otherwords...get rid of irotate completely. Don't have any program alter the windows screen layout......but DO have PBX, VP, FX2, and FP set to rotate the screen to 270.

Anytime any of the screens in windows change after PBX is running it may mess up your videos if you want Topper or other videos to play after a table is launched.

OK thanks I’m just off to work so will try that later. Everything was working fine until I configured the dmd in PFX2 but maybe it just appeared to be fine!

#134 Vanlon

Vanlon

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 61 posts

• Favorite Pinball: CannonBall

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have a question on your led strip matrix.  I'm not sure which would look better 100/m or 144/m.  The 100/m are 10mm wide which would give you a matching pitch between the horizontal and vertical.  The 144/m have a higher density but are 12mm wide creating a larger vertical space.  Also can you overlap the 144/m strip a bit to reduce the gap or does that create other issues?

Density or uniformity, which would be the better pack of bacon?  Insight would be appreciated.

Edited by Vanlon, 21 October 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#135 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

I have a question on your led strip matrix.  I'm not sure which would look better 100/m or 144/m.  The 100/m are 10mm wide which would give you a matching pitch between the horizontal and vertical.  The 144/m have a higher density but are 12mm wide creating a larger vertical space.

Density or uniformity, which would be the better pack of bacon?  Insight would be appreciated.

I use 144 / meter. You can see my videos to get an idea on how that looks for the back MX.  I know randr also uses 144 / meter, and just made it so that his strips were partly overlapping to get them closer and it looks great.

When making a back MX its important to go with more leds / meter if possible.

#136 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

OK...so with Stranger Things Season 2 about to start... I thought something could use an addressable leds update! I asked ScottyWic if it would be ok for me to add custom addressable leds triggers to the table and DOF MX code to the table script and he said go for it!

So I did!

Note, I didn't replace or change the normal DOF (I did fix a couple DOF trigger errors). I added completely different trigger commands and "E" numbers used only for DOF MX leds.   This allowed me to do whatever I wanted without interfering with what was already there.  It also allows anyone who doesn't like what I did to simply erase the "MX commands" for their custom config for the table in DOF Config Tool...and simply "Generate Basic MX Config" to go back to the Basic MX Flashers emulation....but who would want that?   ;)

The new table version 2.2 (with my DOF MX updates) was submitted to ScottyWic, so he'll be uploading it to the site soon.  I also submitted the "all new"  DOF MX commands to DOF Config Tool (which REQUIRES 2.2) which is waiting approval.

What would a TerryRed update be without a video....  here is a demo of my DOF MX mod of Stranger Things 2.2:

#137 hlr53

hlr53

Pinball Fan

• Gold Supporter
  • 683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 1964 Williams Palooka Joe

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

DR Peters,

That partial black box is probably the dmdext console window bleeding over because it is too wide.You can run dmdext test to bring up the window. Right click on the top of the frame and under Properties you can change the column length and you can position the window more to the left. Uncheck letting Windows auto position the window.

I tried to quote your post but it didn't work this AM?

Edited by hlr53, 23 October 2017 - 08:40 PM.

Former Cab: 40" Haier, 28" I-INC, i7-6700, 1080 GPU, v3DMD, 4D7 solenoids. Altec-Lansing speakers and sub. Artwork by Stuzza. Printing by Brad Bowman. VR HP reverb

#138 JasonLyvers

JasonLyvers

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

TerryRed - Im hoping to use addressable RGB matrices, rather than strips. Am I going to be able to make them work, or is this process dependent on using strips?

#139 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,808 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:07 AM

The Getaway: Hi-Speed 2

Here is a demo video of my update to the addressable leds for this table. Some of the highlights:

• I kept all of Swisslizard's original MX led effects
  • added new RPM Tachometer "VROOM" effect (activated with flipper when ball in plunger lane)
  • "SHIFT" flashes on back MX whenever shift light is on.
  • Added Orbit Effects.
  • Added animated effects for ALL actions on the table.
  • Added Red / Blue Beacon effects.
  • Removed any duplicate PF Back MX flashers that already had animated MX Effects.
  • Added some flashers and effects on the Left and Right MX.
  • Very cool light show!

If you want to skip my ranting at the beginning, go to 2:40 to go right to the demo.

The update has been submitted to DOF Config Tool. Once it has been approved, you just need to update your DOF Config files with the Tool and you are good to go!

Edited by TerryRed, 05 November 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#140 DR Peters

DR Peters

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi TerryRed

First of all thank you for your inspiration and help so far, you have answered my questions on a number of threads and fixed my issues. Now I have all the software working I am planning my cabinet build.

Can I ask what the dimensions are of the bezel and cut outs for your topper and dmd areas?

Also where you have the chrome surrounds in that area is the board full thickness or did you channel a groove?

Thanks
Dave