Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hej Dear VPerz

I use to play a lot of Pinball when I was young, but with Age this Passion went a bit to sleep. But just Yesterday i got caught by the Fascination of Virtual Pinballs. I watched all the Tutorials of that Dude scorpius (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKXIRK4-J4&list=PLZU98v6HPzNYCxOazPkDtTbBKPIAzi14V) and i was completely blown away. I didnt know something like this even existed and now here i am. One night later, barely slept an hour and already planned my own pinball cabinet: 43"/24" Screens, no analog plunger no knocker, but yeah ... force feedback via relays and shaker, flashers, ambi-light  ... visual pinball with a pinballX frontend.

pst_skizze_vegapin_1_s.png

pst_design_vegapin_1_s.png

And the Shopping list:

pst_shoppinglist_vegapin_1_s.png

(all prices in swiss francs)

If you dont mind i would shoot some questions tha came up while researching:

1. Anything i am Missing or doin completely wrong with my design/shopping-list?

2. Whats the least amount of buttons you need to play?

3. Whats the least amount of relays you need to have to still get some force feedback?

4. Since these tutorials i watched are already a bit outdated ... is there already all in one controller that handles

leds, buttons, relays, nudging and tilt etc ... (apart from the LedWiz or the PinControl1?)

Sorry to flood you with questions but this is just awesome ... ;-)) Thanx for your Help ...

Edited by Sascha, 13 July 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#2 tthurman

tthurman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

If you haven't read this, it's a good place to start.

I like your design, reminds me somewhat of the TAB units.

Edited by tthurman, 15 February 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#3 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Hej tthurman

Thanx for our reply. Of Course ive already soaked up this FAQ-Thread ;-)

Yepp ... The Design is indeed inspired by the TAB-Cabs ... heir Tables Shape is 10 times

more stylish, than their Tables you can Play ;-)

#4 Umpa

Umpa

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 737 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

Answer to.number 4. Check out zebsboards.com. he has quality parts. He has all in one solution! You will not need the ipac if you get zebs plunger/Nudge sensor.

#5 VP Fan

VP Fan

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:56 AM

I guess one concern I'd have with that design is lack of interior space for all the hardware. Especially if you're doing force feedback. I did leave my pc inside a mini tower case, but I still don't have much left over space for equipment, and I have no shakers, solenoids, etc for force feedback.

A surprising amount of crap needs to be tucked in there for a basic build: a subwoofer, power strips, fans, pc, nudge system/input boards, etc.

Maybe you could get creative and this wouldn't be a problem, it's a cool looking design either way. Thumbs up. :)

#6 N3roflint

N3roflint

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Fake PInball

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:11 AM

I'm going to watch this build as I really like the way this cabinet looks.

#7 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:51 AM

Welcome, Sascha.

:)

#8 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

he he he ... i was so excited about VPs that i forgot to leave a proper Hello to everybody ;-) Im Sascha from Zurich, Switzerland (yopp over in Europe) and its great to see such a dedicated and well developed Community around VPs ... Thanx for helping me ;-)

Yepp ... Place is an issue ... mabe with clever Placement and Ventilation of all the Parts i can manage to get it done. If not, i still can make the Front-Belly Part of the Design a bit deeper to fit everything in ;-)

http://www.zebsboards.com is great ... thanx for the Tip! I still have to figure out which boards i need to purchase to have everything working. Seems there are several Boards connecting to eachother. And as far as i can see all the pover needed comes from the Compter PSU. This is great cause i had a Corsair 850HX layin around that i can reanimate now ;-)

uh ... just read that it is not recommended to use the PSU of the Computer. Maybe with an 850HX i can still risk it ;-)

#9 jreising326

jreising326

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

I think your going to want to use a different supply for the DOF toys. The electrical isolation could come in handy if you make a wiring error or have a fault occur on a high current device, etc.

I really like your design concept, very clean and futuristic. I'm sure the community is able and willing to assist you, but as others have indicated your design is going to present some unique challenges. You may need to think outside the box and innovate some aspects of your build. Even the acoustic effects are going to be different, so you might end up using completely different toys others are using in more standard cabs.

Anyway I am not trying to scare you off as much as inspire you more by providing some food for thought. I wish you good luck and look forward to watching you progress!

#10 Nostronomo

Nostronomo

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: star trek the next generation

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

Nice concept. but arent you afraid that the cabinet can tip over when someone leans to much on the front?

#11 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hej Nostronomo

Good Point ... I handed my entire design over to a friend of mine whos an engineer. He'll check the Center of Mass, Statics incl. Tipping-Problems with a CAD-Simulation this weekend ;-)

(btw shouldnt your favorite Pinball be "Alien" with that nickname ;-))

jreising, thanx for your inputs. And im absolutely on fire concerning VPs and i love to noodle around and test things out ... so i'll work that thing out step by step ... and hopefully

there will be waiting some problems around the corners ... otherwise it wouldnt be as interesting, innit ;-)) But its a good point concerning acoustics. Maybe i have to parially  let go of the "way it's been done befor with

the oldschool cabinets" and step on some new grounds ;-))

#12 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Stability looking good so far ;-)

vegapin_COM_v1.png

Focussing on the angle and placement of the playfield-screen and the playfielt glass is saw, that a lot of cabinet designs carry the screen parallel to the floor and only the glass is angled at 6 degrees up.

Is there any practical reason for that? Cause logically it makes no sense to me: The virtual tables are already styled in a kind of 3D-Style where a virtual pinball-backwall is already included. So the playfield itself should be angles at 6 degrees as well; or do i miss on somenting. And a angled playfield would improve the viewing angle on the screen and thus improve the perceptual color quality of the screen innit?

#13 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Usually they are looking for extra space between the glass and monitor to put real lights in there for DOF. I had mine like that, but since I didn't add the extra lighting, I would go monitor parallel to glass.

-Mike

#14 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

just to motivate myself for the whole journey  ... ;-)

vp1_1.jpg
vp1_2.jpg
vp1_3.jpg
vp1_4.jpg
vp1_5.jpg
vp1_6.jpg
vp1_7.jpg
vp1_8.jpg
vp1_9.jpg

Usually they are looking for extra space between the glass and monitor to put real lights in there for DOF. I had mine like that, but since I didn't add the extra lighting, I would go monitor parallel to glass.

-Mike

thanx mike ...

ill have some extra lighting but im gonna place is somewhere in, around or under the backglass ...

#15 jreising326

jreising326

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

That looks pretty awesome Sascha!  What SW are you using for the 3D model?  Also, will you be making the legs out of steel or wood?  I'm thinking the weight of steel would also help with stability.  I am not sure how your design will behave when you nudge it, if you intend to enable nudging.  It's probably not going to flip over if designed correctly, but without 4 legs at the outside of the cabinet it may "hinge" or "rock" if you nudge it.  My own cabinet doesn't exactly feel realistic though either since it seems to weigh less than a real pinball machine.  I'm just pointing this out before you "cut metal" on your project.  After seeing those beautiful 3D models I can't wait to see how your build goes! 

#16 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

Thanx! Im using Keyshot with the native prt-Files out of the CAD-App. You are certainly right that this design wont feel "real" compared to a real Pinball Machine ... According to the plan this design will be around 60kg which is pretty heavy for its size i guess .. so the hinge or rock could be minimal ... but ill be interesting to see how it moves when being nudged ...  ill be using zebsboards nudge/plunger-controller-board ... afaik this board handles nudging in all kinds of axis pretty well ;-)

#17 tthurman

tthurman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

I love these type of threads, and it's especially interesting to see unconventional designs that bring new ideas to the table.

I look forward to watching your build progress.

#18 lodger

lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whirlwind, TAF

Contributor

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:03 AM

Interesting build for sure- it sort of reminds me of one of those walkers from Star Wars- That would make a cool skin for it

berzerk2_0logo.png

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=11819

Version 2.0- Released 2/27/16

#19 Sascha

Sascha

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

Ha ha ha ... Star Wars Design! True. But i dont want any licensing-trouble with Lucasfilm ltd ;-))

BTW ... do VP10 Tables support 2-Screen-Cabs (With the DMD included into the Backglass-Screen?) at all ?

#20 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

the 2 screen with DMD on backglass is more a function of the directB2S file than the vp10 table, so basically yes.