Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

PBX Recorder - automatically capture PinballX playfield, backglass, dmd videos and images

pbxrecorder ffmpeg media pack record ffmpeg media video screenshot

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#1 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

Time for a dedicated post for this media capture utility.  

PBX Recorder will walk through all the VP tables found in Pinballx, launch each table and record/capture all your videos and/or images automatically.  This is intended for 2 or 3 Monitor VP setups (Note: Desktop users - there is now a beta version for single monitor desktop users below).  By default, PBX Recorder is setup to find and record missing media.  There are options to re-record all media if desired.  What to record and length of videos are all configurable.  

NOTE: PBX Recorder uses the DirectB2S screenres.txt to figure out how to record the Playfield, Backglass and DMD.  If the DMD portion of screenres.txt is not filled in correctly, you will have trouble with DMD video or screenshot capture.  Try the included ScreenResCheck utility, to see exactly where PBX Recorder will record.  (I have also attached it to this post if you want to try the screenres checker)

Version 1.2 adds basic support for automatic Wheel image download via FTP if you have Pinballx FTP access. To enable FTP support, open the FTPLoginInfo.txt file and put in your user info.  If you do not have FTP access, the log file will always report a list of any missing wheel images.  

Version 1.3 adds "Record complete media set for new tables only"  mode, Drag and drop of VPT/VPX to record (must be in XML already).  Ability to record in .mp4 format added.  Ability to name media based on table or description names.

Here is a demo video.

Special Thanks to:
- Carny_Priest for his original ffmpeg recording scripts and input on the PinballX forums
- All the beta testers :)

Official releases now available here: http://www.vpforums....topic=34492&hl=

Just download and unzip to use (run as admin if you have recording issues).  Old versions here: https://drive.google...S19UOWJPb2k2WWc

NOTE: PBX Recorder videos requires that you install the LAV filters recommended by PinballX here: http://www.pinballx.com/codecs.exe

Also to view the videos outside of PinballX, I use https://mpc-hc.org/

Here is a v1.3 link for single monitor Desktop users:  http://www.vpforums....=33552&p=335557

ALSO HERE IS A LINK to a Future Pinball version of this utility:  http://www.gameex.in...#comment-154842

Backup your PinballX media if you are a first time user of PBX Recorder :juggle:   Utility is tested with XML scripts created by PinballX Game Manager and PinX Check (<alternateexe> and <exe> tags supported).  PBX recorder uses Autohotkey and ffmpeg.

Attached Files

Edited by gtxjoe, 19 May 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#2 jsncarter

jsncarter

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 42 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bram Stoker's Dracula, Attack from Mars, Scared Stiff, Theatre of Magic

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:14 AM

I've been using this since carny made the first script. This total package is so easy. After adding new tables I just run this and it adds all table, BGs and Dmd videos right to pinballX. I can't thank you enough for the work on this Gtxjoe and Carny

Jason.

Edited by jsncarter, 18 January 2016 - 02:41 AM.

jsncarter___pinball-pc.png

#3 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:37 AM

indeed, great program, been using it for a while. Thanks for it!

#4 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Indiana Jones, Addams Family

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

This is my first try at this app and need some help from those who use it.   

Need some guidance:   I ran this app and I showed it where PinballX was located  and I tried to do just table video (checked) and told it only new or missing tables to record.   

First,  I appears to be naming the video by the description entry rather than the name entry in the database file.  This caused the program to record playfields for tables which I already had playfield videos.    The second problem may be caused by the first but it keep recording the same playfield over and over regardless of what table was launched...     Did I do something wrong?

#5 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for testing.  I always assumed that PinballX expects Media to be named after the Description, not Game Name.  It turns out PinballX actually supports both - It first looks for media named after Game name and second based on Description.

I will add an option for user to select the naming convention, but here is a beta version that saves all files based on Game Name.  Just copy it into the same folder and run either the exe or ahk file  

As for each video being a copy of the first video recorded.  Try running this Recorder as Admin to see if that fixes it.  (PBX recorder records initially to the PBX recorder folder as playfield.mkv, backglass.mkv and dmd.mkv.  It then converts these to .f4v videos and deletes the mkv files.  If it can't delete or replace the mkv files, you will end up with the same video for all games...

Give it a try and post feedback

Attached Files

Edited by gtxjoe, 19 January 2016 - 01:39 AM.

#6 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

• PS3 Gamer Tag: dyopp21

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

I'm running this app on my cab right now, and one of the things I've noticed is that it is only loading and capturing the tables in the database in the folder named "Visual Pinball."  For those of us with multiple DBs, will it go back and hit the other folders with names like "VP92," "VPPhys5," "VPX," etc?

Virtual Pinball: see one, do one, TEACH ONE.

2qszd43.png

#7 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:02 AM

I recommend naming using the description tag. If you frequently update for new table releases you will have extra housekeeping to do, deleting the old videos that have the old game name as the filename.

Using the description tag, the recorder simply overwrites the old video. No more work to do.

#8 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:19 AM

dyopp21 - Yes it opens one VP xml at a time and walks through the tables enabled in that xml file.

#9 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

gtxjoe,

I checked it this morning and it only captured the tables in the Visual Pinball folder.  Is there a workaround to trick it into analyzing a different DB?  If that's possible I could simply run it once for each DB, telling it to look in a different folder each time.

2qszd43.png

#10 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Can you run the Pinballx Settings and for they additional systems, can you check if the "Enabled" field is not set, i.e Blank.  If so, set it to True and that should fix it.  I can change the recorder in the next release to assume Enabled=True if this field is not set.  If the value was set, send me the Pinballx.ini file or at least that section of the ini to test with.  Here is an example:

[System_2]
Name=Visual Pinball PM2
WorkingPath=C:\Visual Pinball
TablePath=C:\Visual Pinball\Tables
Executable=VPinballPM2.exe
LaunchBeforeExecutable=
LaunchAfterExecutable=
Enabled=True
SystemType=1
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"
[System_3]
Name=VPX
SystemType=1
WorkingPath=C:\Visual Pinball
TablePath=C:\Visual Pinball\Tables
Executable=x.exe
LaunchBeforeExecutable=
LaunchAfterExecutable=
Parameters=/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"
Enabled=True

#11 gStAv

gStAv

Pinball Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: TOM, IJ, AFM, WC94

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

I have Physmod5_VP, VPX and VisualPinball XML's and all of them are searched and recorded dyopp21 :D

Also used this tool since early release. Super neat! :D

3rs054-6.png

#12 Nostronomo

Nostronomo

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: star trek the next generation

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

When my new cab is ready i definitely gonna try this! Keeping my frontend up to data was such a pita.

Thanks for the effort!

#13 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Indiana Jones, Addams Family

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

gtxjoe,

I tried your  PBXrecorder_1.2GameName.zip fix...   Thanks so much for trying a fix this app for me.    First problem solved.   Only looked at tables where I did not have a table video.    But, still having issues with the recording of the video.    Tables launch but I get a static image of the table in the video (that was not happening before).    Also tables are still not shutting down properly and I get recording of the wrong table.  It is like it is not shutting down the table.    I use the "E" key to exit tables on my cab (could that be a problem).  I did run it as administrator.  I am on Windows 10.    Could that be causing some kind of incompatibility issue.   Thanks again for trying to help.   Maybe I need to wait on the next release with the Game name or Description Name option.   Let me know what you think... :love39:

naboodiver

#14 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:52 AM

Attached File  pinballx settings.txt   5.21KB   102 downloads

Here is a text file of my complete settings.  It appears they are set as enabled, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

2qszd43.png

#15 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Contributor

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

dyopp21, you need to set the "System Type" = "Visual Pinball" for those 3 extra VP systems.  Re-run Pinballx Settings.exe, and set the System Type field and give it a go.  I can add a warning in the log file for a future release, so this is easy to spot :).  Can you send me the script for this forceB2Sclose.exe, I want to see if it does anything different that what I am doing.

naboo, Pinballx E to exit is not the issue ( I use E as well).  Are you using directb2s backglasses or B2S.exe or both?   Let's see if anyone else is running VP10 and has issues.  I can maybe try it on a windows 10 laptop I have this weekend

Edited by gtxjoe, 20 January 2016 - 03:05 AM.

#16 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thanks ....   Let me know what you find out.    I appreciate you looking into it.   

#17 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

GTXJoe,

I took one more shot at it..    I looked at task manager to see if anything else was running that might be an issue.    I saw Future DMD was run and killed it.    Started the app again and bingo it started working and producing videos.    I will test more over the weekend.   Just wanted to let you know so you were not spending more time looking at it.   Thanks

Naboo

#18 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

dyopp21, you need to set the "System Type" = "Visual Pinball" for those 3 extra VP systems.  Re-run Pinballx Settings.exe, and set the System Type field and give it a go.  I can add a warning in the log file for a future release, so this is easy to spot :).  Can you send me the script for this forceB2Sclose.exe, I want to see if it does anything different that what I am doing.

naboo, Pinballx E to exit is not the issue ( I use E as well).  Are you using directb2s backglasses or B2S.exe or both?   Let's see if anyone else is running VP10 and has issues.  I can maybe try it on a windows 10 laptop I have this weekend

That fixed it! Thanks.  I'll see if I can pull that b2sclose.exe for you when I'm in front of the machine.

2qszd43.png

#19 bpjacobsen

bpjacobsen

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: all

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:51 AM

I am still having my two original problems. First of all, BG is still off center. Even though all existing BG videos are perfect in pinballx. Secondly, no table video is being created. Can't for the life of me figure out why. I have it set to the correct display I think. I attached the log created when running this video creator. (cool stuff by the way and much appreciated, just can't wait to get it working right) pinballx log also attached.

Attached Files

#20 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

Provide details on your setup,   2 monitor or 3 monitor?  Describe the order, orientation and screen resolution from left to right,

i.e playfield (landscape 1920x1080), backglass(landscape 1920x1080), dmd monitor (landscape 1024x768)  

The logs says your backglass screen resolution is 1290x 760, which may not be correct and could be the reason your bad backglass recordings

PF_width           = 1920          
PF_height          = 1080         
BG_width           = 1290          
BG_height          = 760         
DMD_width          = 0      
DMD_height         = 0   

According to the log, Spring Break, it tried to record playfield and backglass, but playfield recording failed just like your attempt with AHK capscreens.  Is your playfield monitor the 1st monitor on the left and is it your primary display and in landscape mode?  

Edited by gtxjoe, 21 January 2016 - 04:56 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pbxrecorder ffmpeg, media pack, record, ffmpeg, media, video, screenshot