Photo
- - - - -

Best way to convert a VP9 to VPX table - for a newb!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: revenge from mars

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Really want to get into table building. But I have to start somewhere. As Ive been reverse engineering to learn VPX, Its a very tough task when im sure theres some better ways to do things.

Ive searched for tutorials on building and most are for VP9 or earlier. The few I found for VPX (jaws table) have no sound or instruction, so since I dont know enough about VPX, its kinda difficult to know whats going on in them.

SO....

I figured the best way is to start by converting a VP9 to VPX. The way Ive been trying is to take the "new" table and remove most of the items and pick a  playfield and start building objects. Using the VP9 table for reference. Although this is helping me learn, I think there may be a better way with quicker results. Some of you guys just churn the tables out where it takes me hours just to get some walls made.

Thanks!!

Parabolic Technologies - 3D printers and 3D design printing

"Transforming YOUR Ideas into a Reality!"

[email protected]

https://www.facebook...f_type=bookmark

#2 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

One thing is to definetly be familiar with the changelog.txt and commandreference.txt.

Then there is a write-up on most of the physics changes here: https://github.com/c...ki/VP10-Physics

The rest should be answered by actual table authors..  ;)

#3 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

What would you like to know? VP9&10 aren't thaaat different. Okay, maybe they are. ;)

I'm just thinking loud here:

--
VP10 has a rubber element which makes adding rubbers a breeze.
Bumpers no longer have lights built-in.
Materials are a whole new thing. But the built-in materials from the default table are more than enough. Just the "Plastic with an image" for plastics should get an opacity of 0.999.
Lights became more advanced and easier at the same time (fadings lights built-in, shine through plastics built-in)
I haven't figured out flashers yet.

Most new stuff comes from using primitives, and those already worked in VP9.16. Primitives from Future Pinball mostly: http://www.vpforums....e=4#entry270936

The easiest way to figure out VP10 is to import the oldest table with the least amount of workarounds you can find (VP8 table probably). No fading lights, no alpha-plunger, no drop-walls-lights, etc. You should remove all this stuff in VP10.
After you reset and adjust the physics and add materials to all elements, the table should work fine. Add better images if you have, add GI lights and the table is updated to VP10. Finetuning would be to replace table elements with primitives (pegs, gates-tops, spinner-tops) and new rubbers.
--

I'm thinking about screen casting table building sessions. Twitch maybe? But this would be hours and hours of boring footage of me clicking in photoshop, moving around control points in VP, etc. How is this helpful?!? Is it?
VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#4 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

I recommend doing the following rough steps:

1. after loading the VP9/8 table. Select all elements on the table and then do Edit->Set Default Physics. This will reset all custom physic settings of the collidable elements to default values. So you have a good starting point for the VPX physics engine.

2. simply try to play the table. You will get script errors because VP9 tables use fading lights  with ramps/flashers/bumpers and other tricks to fake lighting. This must be replaced with the new/changed VPX elements. For the fading light routines for instance you can simply remove that completely from the table and replace it with a much easier method. Check other VPX tables to learn how. Same goes for the global table light settings.

3. if you fixed all the script errors the table will be playable but you have to assign materials to each visible element. Again take a look at other VPX tables for materials and how they are defined.

The rest is simply the same like in VP9. Optimize images with your favourite image editing tool (Photoshop, Gimp or whatever) and/or 3D editing tool (Blender, 3DSMAX and so on).

#5 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

So what is the larger picture srategy for VP10 tables going forward?

Will all of the current VP9 tables simply be converted and declared VP10 tables?

Will all new VP10 tables be created from scratch...not up-convert?

Will there be a dedicated VP10 table collection added to the download section in the same way we have one for VP9...assuming yes?

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#6 jukedock

jukedock

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

In a cab you will be able to run both VP9.exe and vp10.exe within Pinball X. 
VP9 wont be deleted as from what I gather Vp10 wont play VP9 games (it will load them).

Just install VP10 into a seperate folder. 

At the moment I have 3 instances of VP9 running (one normal and two modded versions), and I do not mind in the slightest using a few more GB of my hard drive space when VP10 gets released.

Obviously some  tables will be updated by authors, but a lot of games will be done 'from scratch' using VP10.

Some stunning games exist on VP9 that I will leave in my cab until better versions get released for VP10.

It is still in BETA developement so things will change still.  I dont know how close they are at getting a 'full' version.

Uncle Willy (I think) plans to release 4 VP10 tables when it is released

#7 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

Contributor

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Will all of the current VP9 tables simply be converted and declared VP10 tables?

You won't find enough volunteers to do this.

Will all new VP10 tables be created from scratch...not up-convert?

As always, there will be converted tables and tables created from scratch. And stuff in the middle.

Will there be a dedicated VP10 table collection added to the download section in the same way we have one for VP9...assuming yes?

Yes. http://www.vpforums....&hl=vp10&page=1
VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#8 Les73gTx

Les73gTx

Preschooler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Power Play, BoP, JackBot, MM, AFM, CV, MB,Champions Pub, CftBL, ToM, and Many More

• PS3 Gamer Tag: LCT0819, Les73gtx
  • 360 Gamer Tag: PissPoorShot

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

--

I'm thinking about screen casting table building sessions. Twitch maybe? But this would be hours and hours of boring footage of me clicking in photoshop, moving around control points in VP, etc. How is this helpful?!? Is it?

I think this is a great Idea, Hitting the important concepts in detail and maybe 5x speed through the "boring" photoshop process. I would still leave it in the video just so we could all get to see the creation take shape. Break it up into many parts so it is easy to find and access if you are stuck on a particular building step.

les73gtx___atomicpin-pc.png

#9 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

+1

#10 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

Contributor

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Should i create a part 2?
Should i split part 2 into more parts - one for each kind of table element?

#11 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

YES!! Please!

[email protected]

#12 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

edit: Deleted

Edited by parabolic, 17 May 2015 - 06:09 PM.

[email protected]

#13 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

Contributor

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

I was just answering your post and you edit it. Dude! ;)

#14 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

Real 4K Tables Since 2013

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

• Favorite Pinball: -<3<3<3 All Real Pins

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

see now this is what the community has needed!!... thank you sir!!....  :twiddling: patiently waiting for part 2

26794541816_30ca1cca80_o.gif 43109635392_fc11af1a57_o.gif

#15 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks so much for the video, please continue on.

#16 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

I was just answering your post and you edit it. Dude!

LOL!! Sorry about that - I figured it out it was in the initial script. I copied over that part from another table and it worked! 

Been following your tutorial all afternoon - THANKS SO MUCH!! 

Cant wait for another part!

[email protected]

#17 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

Contributor

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

I figured it out it was in the initial script. I copied over that part from another table and it worked! 
Been following your tutorial all afternoon - THANKS SO MUCH!!

The table used db2s, you probably don't have the directb2s Server installed. :)

I wouldn't call it a tutorial, or is it? I just record what i'm doing. A real workshop was/is this thread: http://www.vpforums....?showtopic=2006
There will be a part 2 nonetheless. Maybe i can make it more tutorial-like by explaining more.

#18 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,180 posts

Contributor

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Somebody asked for the primitives pdf and meshes etc.

They are from this post:

http://www.vpforums....e=4#entry270936

#19 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

I wouldn't call it a tutorial, or is it? I just record what i'm doing. A real workshop was/is this thread: http://www.vpforums....?showtopic=2006
There will be a part 2 nonetheless. Maybe i can make it more tutorial-like by explaining more.

Well...I guess I learn well this way. For the most part it's step by step to get something up and running.....exactly why I started this thread. Also the link you provided is good, however, with all the changes in VPX it's good to have a tutorial that deals just with the new version and it's features.

[email protected]

#20 kore64

kore64

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 10 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, MM, MBOPB, MB, TOTAN

• PS3 Gamer Tag: kore-64

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time to make this video.

I have always wanted an excuse to learn photoshop and get better at scripting in general, but never really had anything to do with it. I lost interest quickly when I had no avenue to apply it to.

I am sure I wont be releasing any tables any time soon, but at least now I can tinker and not spend all of my time trying every button and try and figure out what to do with it or what i just did. There is a whole lot of material here, but being new to all of this. I would not know what were old methods and what are the latest ones.