mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

This is a list I've compiled of tables with Magna Save buttons, extra flipper buttons, and other similar "extra" controls that go beyond the basic set of controls common to nearly all real pinballs.  The information comes from IPDB, old vpforums posts, and lots of input from people on this thread. I've been editing this list to incorporate new information as I come across it, so all of the input in the follow-up posts in this thread should be reflected in the master list below.

The original motivation for compiling all of this information is that I wanted to know the right RGB settings to use in DOF for each table for my virtual cab's illuminated Magna Save buttons.  For tables that had Magna Save buttons in the original, I wanted to have the same color scheme show up on my cab when I ran the VP table.  As far as I can tell, there wasn't previously a comprehensive list of these settings in any one place, so I thought I'd post my results for anyone else with RGB Magna Save button lights.

DOF now incorporates most of the Magna Save color information in this list into the default configuration, so most people won't need to enter any of this manually into DOF.  But it's still nice to have it all written down in one place.

The list below has three sections.  The "Authentic" section is a list of tables that had actual Magna Save buttons in the originals, or had similar extra buttons on the sides of the cabinet that triggered some other game function.  These are "authentic" in that the original games had the physical extra side buttons.  The "Virtual" section is for games that didn't originally have the extra side buttons, but had some other type of extra controls that can be sensibly mapped to the Magna Save buttons in VP re-creations.  These are "virtual" in that the virtual games use Magna Save buttons even though the originals didn't.  The last section is a catch-all "Other" category, for games with non-standard controls that weren't implemented as side buttons in the originals and aren't even usually mapped to Magna Save buttons in VP re-creations.

AUTHENTIC: Tables that originally had Magna Save buttons or extra flipper-style buttons on the sides of the cabinet.  This includes tables where the extra buttons did something other than Magna Save, as long as the original buttons were Magna Save-like.  That means regular flipper buttons, located just behind the flipper buttons or just below them.

Table | Flipper button color | Extra button color | Purpose of extra buttons

Black Knight | White| Red | Magna Save

Black Knight 2000 | Red | White - right side only | Magna Save

Blackwater 100 | White | Red | Buttons move flashing selection and lower start gate

BMX | White | White | Flex-Save

Bone Busters Inc. | Red | Green - right side only | Controls extra flipper on upper ramp

Defender | Navy | Red | left is "Reverse" (left lane kickback), right is "Smart Bomb" (scoring feature)

Devil's Dare | Red | Green - left side only | Ball save (manually activated outlane kickback)

Dungeons & Dragons | White | White (varies - also pictured on ipdb as navy or red) | Flex-Save

Fireball II | Red | White - right side only | Raises center post between flippers

Freedy: a Nightmare on Elm Street | Red | Red - right side only | Raises center post between flippers

Grand Lizard | Red | Red | Magna Save

Harley-Davidson (1999) | Red | Red - right side only | Unknown
Hardbody | White| White | Flex-save

Haunted House | Red | Red | Secondary flipper buttons

Heavy Metal Meltdown | Unknown | Unknown | Lane change

Johnny Mnemonic | Red | Blue | Control magnetic data glove

Jolly Park | Red | Red | Mini-playfield magnetic diverters

Judge Dredd | Yellow | Red (large square button rotated 45 degrees) | Mode selection

Jungle Lord | Yellow | Red | Magna Save

Medusa | Red | Red - right side only  | Raises "Shield of the Gods" center post between flippers

Nip It | White | White - right side only | Activates "balligator" (diverts ball to special scoring lane)

Party Animal | White | White | Left button changes P-I-G lights, right changes O-U-T lights; scroll through high scores in attract mode

Pharaoh | White | Red | Magna Save

Revenge From Mars | Red | Red (Pinball 2000-style combination button) | Mode selection, aligns crosshairs in attack mode

Rocky | Red | Green - left side only | Unknown

The Rolling Stones LE | White | red - right side only? | Unknown

The Shadow | Red | Blue | Control ramp diverters ("phurbas")

Sharkey's Shootout | Red | White | Raise ball-saving posts in outlanes, and between flippers when pressed simultaneously

The Simpsons Pinball Party | Red | White - left side only | Unknown

Solar Fire | White | Red | Magna Save
Special Force | White | Orange | Rocket buttons
Speakeasy | Red | Unknown - left side only | "Sacrifice" scoring feature (cancels cards collected out of sequence at cost of 25000-point score penalty)
Spirit | Red | Green | Outlane ball-save flippers
Star Light | Navy | Blue - right side only | Lane change
Starship Troopers | Red | Red - right side only | Controls small secondary flipper
Star Wars Episode I | Red | Red (Pinball 2000-style combination button) | Mode selection
Strange Science | White | Blue | Manually controlled outlane kickback
Striker | Red | Green | Side-to-side passes (scoring feature)
Viper | White | Red | Buttons control turret in center of playfield when ball enters it (left button reverses direction of rotation, right fires ball)

Volcano | Red | Green | Left controls manual outlane kickback; right controls shooter guide

World Cup Soccer | Yellow | Red - left side only | Magna Save

PINBALL 2000:  The extra buttons on the Pinball 2000 machines weren't exactly Magna Save-like buttons, but they're close enough to qualify.  These buttons were built into a plastic housing around the regular flipper button and placed just below the flipper buttons.

VIRTUAL: Tables that didn't originally have Magna Save-type buttons, but had some other unique types of controls that are usually mapped to Magna Save buttons in digital re-creations

Table | Flipper button color | Extra button color | Purpose of extra buttons | Original control style

AC/DC (Stern) | Yellow | White | "Fire" | Stern-style lockbar button

Apollo 13 | Red | Yellow | Ball launch | Rotating handle in place of plunger

Austin Powers | Red | Red | "Fire" | Medium circular red "fire" button left of center on top of lockbar

Baby Pacman | Red | Red | Joystick up/down on flippers, left/right on MS | Video game style console with joystick

Black Rose | Red | Red | "Fire" | Rectangular button on lockbar

Caveman | Red | Red | Joystick up/down on flippers, left/right on MS | Joystick on top of triple-deep lockbar

Demolition Man | Red | Red | Launch balls & move crane | Joystick type buttons on handles sticking up from sides of cab
The Getaway: High Speed 2 | Red | Yellow left, Green right | Gear shifters | Up/down shift lever in place of plunger

Granny and the Gators | Blue | Green | Video game style console with large circular "paddle" left/right buttons and "fire" pushbuttons

The Hobbit | White | White | "Fire" | Stern-style lockbar button

Jurassic Park | Yellow | Red | Smart Missile | Gun-like launcher with trigger and large circular red "Smart Missile" thumb button

Last Action Hero | Red | Yellow | Smart Missile | Gun-like launcher with trigger; large square yellow "Smart Missile" button on front of cab just above gun

Mac Attack (Mr. Game 1990) | Red | Red | Unknown, possibly used in video mode | Handles on either side of cabinet with red buttons on top

Mustang LE (Stern) | Blue | White | Fire? | Stern-style lockbar button
Odisea Paris-Dakar (Peyper) | Red | Black | "El Movimento" | Knobs on side of cabinet near flipper buttons
Riverboat Gambler | White | Red, Navy | Place bets on roulette game with flippers+MS | Four rectangular buttons on top of lockbar
Sir Lancelot (Peyper) | Red | Black | "El Movimento" | Knobs on side of cabinet near flipper buttons

Star Trek (Stern 2013) | White | White | "Fire & Select - Punch It!" | Stern-style lockbar button

Star Wars (Data East) | Red | Orange | Fire, Shift | "Shift" handle (pulls up) in place of plunger, with Fire thumb button on left side

World Cup '90 (Mr. Game 1990) | Red | Red | Unknown, possibly used in video mode | Handles on either side of cabinet with red buttons on top

Wolf Man (Peyper) | Red | Black | "El Movimento" | Knobs on side of cabinet near flipper buttons

COLOR SCHEMES:  For the virtual list, I used the original color scheme when possible.  But this wasn't always possible, since some of the controls aren't at all button-like and thus don't have color schemes that map to single button colors.  I had to take some liberties to invent something in these cases.

STERN-STYLE LOCKBAR BUTTON: Many of the late-model (2000s and on) Stern games feature an extra button on top of the lock bar, facing up.  These are mostly implemented with a standard flipper button, usually clear (uncolored), mounted vertically with a chrome trim ring around the base.  They're often illuminated (back-lit) when active during game play.  These buttons are usually labeled "Fire" and perform some special action during game play at strategic moments.  The Stern games from this era are usually marketed in multiple editions, and the extra lockbar button is only included on the upgraded versions, usually the Limited Edition or "LE" models.  Games with these lockbar buttons are mentioned in the "Virtual" list above because VP re-creations usually map these to Magna Save buttons, since VP doesn't have a standard button mapping that corresponds more directly.  (Given that this seems to have become a new standard control in the present generation of machines, maybe it's time for VP to add a new standard key mapping for it.)

"EL MOVIMENTO": A few games from Peyper (a Spanish manufacturer) had a feature known as "El Movimento", which used knobs next to the flipper buttons that moved the playfield.  The VP re-creations of these tables approximate this by mapping the Magna Save buttons to a special non-tilting nudge function.

OTHER RELATED CONTROLS THAT DON'T FIT INTO THE "AUTHENTIC" OR "VIRTUAL" LISTS: These are tables with extra buttons or controls that weren't originally implemented with Magna Save-like buttons on the sides of the cabinet and don't even use Magna Save button mappings in VP re-creations.  We're including these in the spirit of the theme of "all non-standard controls" that this list has evolved towards.

PUSHBUTTON BALL LAUNCHERS: Tables with ball launcher buttons instead of plungers, but not in the usual plunger location.  In virtual re-creations, this type of extra button would probably be mapped to the Launch Ball button found on many virtual cabs rather than Magna Save buttons.

Table | Flipper button color | Description of special launch button

NBA Fastbreak | Red | Large silver & black pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

Winner (Williams 1972) | Red | Large silver pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

Zodiac (Williams 1971) | Red | Large silver pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

ALVIN G. HEAD-TO-HEAD: There's an unusual group of tables known as "Alvin G. head-to-head" games.  These are two-player tables where the players stand on either end of the table facing each other.  The tables are longer than standard pinballs, and there's no backbox.  Each player has a pair of flipper buttons on their end of the table.  These games don't fit the "authentic" list because the extra buttons weren't Magna Save-like on the originals, and they don't even fit the "virtual" list because you wouldn't want to map them to the Magna Save buttons in digital re-creations, as that wouldn't be workable for two-player use.  So they get their own section.

A.G. Football | Red | Blue

A.G. Soccer-Ball | Red | Blue
Dinosaur Eggs | Red | Red | Note: this is a redemption game with no flippers; all four flipper buttons are immobilized dummies that do nothing
U.S.A. Football | Red | Blue

U.S.A. Football redemption version | Red | Blue | Note: this is a redemption game with no flippers; one pair of flipper buttons is for entering initials and moving the "double ticket" light, the second pair are immobilized dummy buttons that do nothing

SEGA/STERN "ALL-SKILL" SYSTEM (1997-2005 TITLES): Most Sega and Stern pinball units sold in the UK from The X-Files in 1997 to The Sopranos in 2005 included a feature called "All-Skill".  This added pop-up posts in the outlanes and center drain, which weren't present on the regular versions of the same titles.  The pop-up posts on All-Skill machines are controlled by an extra button on each side of the cabinet, positioned just below the flipper buttons.  This feature was added to allow the pinballs equipped with it to qualify as games of skill rather than gambling devices under UK law, for more favorable tax and regulatory treatment.  More information and some pictures showing the system are here.  I'm not listing the individual titles, since it's only a variant found on specific units sold in the UK and doesn't apply to most units sold of the affected titles.

Edited by mjr, 10 May 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#2 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,059 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:52 AM

Here are some more...

Defender

Dungeons & Dragons

BMX

Spirit

Harley Davidson

Judge Dredd

#3 PinballShawn

PinballShawn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Changes Daily

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

Heavy Metal Meltdown

Star Light

At least on real pins, I'm not sure on VP.

#4 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

A Faint Ghost Through the Raindrops

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek, Black Hole, AFM, Fast Draw, Tron, AMH

• 360 Gamer Tag: sixgunsounddd

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

Jolly Park has magnet flippers on the upper pf, apparently controller by magnasave style buttons that are red.

image-9.jpg

#5 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

Beside Pinballs, also you can use this to navigate the Tables by Letters, at PinballX

Edited by STAT, 26 January 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#6 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

Defender

Dungeons & Dragons

BMX

Spirit

Harley Davidson

Judge Dredd

...and...

Heavy Metal Meltdown

Star Light

Thanks for those!  I added them to the list.  I couldn't find any pictures to identify the button colors on Heavy Metal Meltdown, so I put them down as Unknown.  If anyone can find a picture, let me know and I'll fill it in.  Also, does anyone know what the extra button does on Harley-Davidson?  There's very little information on that machine on IPDB.

#7 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Harley Davidson Raises the center post (between the flippers)

#8 BzZziLLa

BzZziLLa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Top Card

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Wow.. this is a really good thread... I have been debating on whether or not to even add magna save buttons to my cabinet. Now I at least have some information to use to make a decision. Thanks!

2dsgy9i.pngwet.jpg4hsh37.png

#9 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Do it ! Later you will miss it ;-)

#10 PinballShawn

PinballShawn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

HMM uses a third button to change the lighted top lanes. Never understood that one, but it's the way it is. 

I add Magna-Save buttons on the cabs I build, they have more uses than just OEM gameplay. Particularly on FP, those buttons are mapped for all kinds of things. Music change/ extra features/ 3-5 ball adjust/ BG change, etc.

#11 BzZziLLa

BzZziLLa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Top Card

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

HMM uses a third button to change the lighted top lanes. Never understood that one, but it's the way it is. 

I add Magna-Save buttons on the cabs I build, they have more uses than just OEM gameplay. Particularly on FP, those buttons are mapped for all kinds of things. Music change/ extra features/ 3-5 ball adjust/ BG change, etc.

The only problem I foresee is that kids will be playing on the cabinet as well and they'd be tempted to mash those buttons too. So yea, it's a little bit of a pickle.

2dsgy9i.pngwet.jpg4hsh37.png

#12 PinballShawn

PinballShawn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

People do it here all the time, it's really no big deal. Some games I play all the time, like Defender and Bk2000, that I couldn't imagine playing without the extra buttons.

I strongly suggest you add them, but it's your game so do what you want.

#13 Sir Cheddar

Sir Cheddar

His Sharpness

• VIP
  • 383 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tales of the Arabian Nights

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ok, here is what I have

Freddy: a Nightmare on Elm Street: Magnasave right "The Claw"
Rocky: secondary buttons left & right, don't know what they do
Johnny Mnemonic: Magnasave l/r for data glove
Starship Troopers: Right side 2nd button for small flipper
The Simpsons Pinball Party: Second button left. Never played it in RL, I don't know what it does
Demolition man: Thumb buttons on handles to launch balls and move crane
Devil's Dare: Ball-Save, left
Sharkey's Shootout: secondary buttons left & right, don't know what they do
Strange Science: secondary buttons left & right, don't know what they do

There are also a few tables with special launchers, LAH for instance has an pistol grip and an "Smart Missile" button. Are those of interest too?

Edit: We can't emulate Pinball 2000 games but anyway: Pinball 2000 has secondary buttons on both sides for selecting the start mode. 

Edited by Sir Cheddar, 26 January 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#14 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

The only problem I foresee is that kids will be playing on the cabinet as well and they'd be tempted to mash those buttons too. So yea, it's a little bit of a pickle.

Think of it as more toys to keep them occupied. :)

#15 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

Ok, here is what I have

The Simpsons Pinball Party: Second button left. Never played it in RL, I don't know what it does

There are also a few tables with special launchers, LAH for instance has an pistol grip and an "Smart Missile" button. Are those of interest too?

Edit: We can't emulate Pinball 2000 games but anyway: Pinball 2000 has secondary buttons on both sides for selecting the start mode. 

Sharkey's extra buttons are for post saves, left one is left post save (the left outlane), right one is right post save, both at the same time is center drain post save

#16 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks!  I had to put down a couple more "Unknowns" for these - couldn't find anything definitive about the functions on Rocky or Sharkey.  If anyone has a lead, please let me know and I'll fill it in on the list.

Probably doesn't quite fit for this thread, but might be worth compiling in another thread.  My main goal here is to have a single comprehensive list of the original extra side button layouts for the sake of LedWiz configuration.  But now that you mention it, it could be interesting to compile a giant comprehensive matrix of *all* of the special cabinet controls and features found across all games.  Seeing it all together in one list could be interesting for people starting new cabinet builds as a way to generate ideas for unique features.  That could be a project to do with a collaborative spreadsheet or something along those lines - the flat text list here is already getting a little unwieldy and it's only about 20 tables long so far. 

#17 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

Wow.. this is a really good thread... I have been debating on whether or not to even add magna save buttons to my cabinet. Now I at least have some information to use to make a decision. Thanks!

There are a couple of old school tables I have that need a ball lift button, I use the magna save button for that as well.  don't remember what the tables are at the moment.

#18 Sir Cheddar

Sir Cheddar

His Sharpness

• VIP
  • 383 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tales of the Arabian Nights

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

That could be a project to do with a collaborative spreadsheet or something along those lines - the flat text list here is already getting a little unwieldy and it's only about 20 tables long so far. 

Yes, or a wiki. There is currently a German language VP wiki in the making - perhaps we could just set up something on Wikia.com. Has somebody experience with them?

#19 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,336 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:09 AM

Ok, here is what I have

Sharkey's extra buttons are for post saves, left one is left post save (the left outlane), right one is right post save, both at the same time is center drain post save

also other sterns from the same frame can be setup with post save as well.

#20 DedRok_V

DedRok_V

Crazed Pinball Wizard (Australia's Former #1)

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,238 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Avengers Blue LE : Judge Dredd : Cosmic Princess

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Judge Dredd, the right 2nd button is launch ball , not that it really matters.
I played Rocky recently and think it was just flippers.
I will have to check cause my memory is getting bad.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueprint game : up to date list http://www.vpforums....s...st&p=147107