• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Indiana Jones, Addams Family

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Zany,

That looks fantastic !!!

#22 Horrible

Horrible

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Data East Star Wars, Star Trek 25th

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

LoadedWeapon.

Thanks, not sure what appeared around the world, but in the UK the Data East Star Wars had this one:

star%20wars%20sq.png

See this post:

http://www.vpforums....topic=27622&hl=

http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=7487

Thanks for a great release of my Fav table.

I've stretched to FS for my cab and have included the settings below (if they work for anyone else).  I'm having real problems with B2S on this, for some reason it can't find the backglass even though I've changed the relevant script and renamed the backglass file.

Is anyone going to do a new version of the backglass for this?  I've got one with the grill, but you can't turn it off (the grill).

Settings:

SWmod.png

Edited by Horrible, 20 July 2014 - 03:14 PM.

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit Sp1, [email protected], 8GB DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2Gb, NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1Gb

Crucial MX250Gb Primary' Samsung 840 128 Gb Backup

Corsair CX750 PINDMD3

#23 Shoopity

Shoopity

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

OK, lesson learned, next time I'll wait until the table is approved before creating a post, sorry about that everyone.

As far as more detail is concerned, that will require someone with more talent/patience than me; and Dark definitely fits that bill in both the talent as well as willingness department.  I think we have two options for any sort shininess to R2, or even shadows: A) we put an alpha ramp on top of him with just the specular (however that might affect angle independency), 2) create 180 images and swap out the texture on every degree rotation.  I've seen tons of videos showing R2 with a chrome head and his blue sections have an LED inside; that's an aftermarket mod right?  I was just assuming the green and yellow textures on JPS' table were just suppose to be GI reflections, does the real table have a light inside the laser?  I mean, if you really wanted to we could actually have a laser shooting out of it but then that's not a real recreation.

As far as FS goes, I've requested permission from Rob046 to mod his mod but he maybe gone.  What's the "timeout" for a mod request, 30 days?

#24 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

• Flag: Sweden

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Why don't just have another copy of r2d2's halfsphere head, that is slightly bigger. and that have a transparent texture with only the specular, and of course not rotate!??!

#25 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars, AbraCadaBra,MB, LAH,JPark...too many to choose!

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Yesterday i played around with a r2d2 texture i found on the net. It would be nice to see bot r2d2 and the deathstar abit more detailed like this.
The speculars on r2d2 have to be a fixed png, and not rotate/jump with him though.

attachicon.gifr2d2.jpg

I found a low poly yet still fairly detailed model of R2 that's mapped.  I'd maybe consider changing mapping with a HD photo I found of the toy which is a more cartoonish rendition.  Specular and reflections could be made more diffused and then simulated with flasher images.  I did want to experiment with this at some point.  Shoop and I were discussing baking multiple angled textures to try as well.

r2d2lowpoly.jpg

I believe the original toy had a somewhat chrome head (like the real thing) but I think the semi transparent version with blue led inside of it is a mod....I'd prefer to stay true to the original personally and then perhaps make the mod afterwards if anything.

Edited by dark, 21 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#26 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

That model was nice...just cut the lower part of him,and he is done...and with a new texture! :)

True....speculars can be done with flasher images, but my idea with a transparen/specular halfsphere on top of his head, was just to have it angle independence! 

#27 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

That model was nice...just cut the lower part of him,and he is done...and with a new texture! :)

True....speculars can be done with flasher images, but my idea with a transparen/specular halfsphere on top of his head, was just to have it angle independence! 

Specular is highlights and reflections of light,  and the positions of those highlights on the sphere of R2's head won't move unless the lights move.

- So there fore just don't have any particularly shiny specular "blings" in the model when baking, just keep it fairly diffused.  The method you mention could be used as well, just keep the model static - plenty of ways to skin a (R2D2) cat.

What will change/move is if the head is reflecting table elements - which is something in all likelihood we won't be able to simulate - at least not without a lot of good photos of R2's surroundings to use for ray trace reflections and multiple texture maps triggering throughout the animation.  I'm curious to know if using so many images on a mesh during an animation will significantly reduce performance or not.

Edited by dark, 21 July 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#28 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

So true! :)

My idea...was not supposed to reflect anything from the table....just a fake static specular(from ie a lamp in the room)., to make him look more shiny as he is. It will of course not be correct, but look pretty good.

But yes...there is many ways to do it! :D

#29 Shoopity

Shoopity

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Zany, I hadn't thought of that, that's actually a good idea.  I'll see how that looks.

#30 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Shoopity...just an idea..but really worth a try! :D
I gave it a little try in Blender, and it looked ok...not sure how it will look in VP though.

#31 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

This is the highest resolution photo I've found of R2 that shows off his decals, this is what I was considering using for the mapping.....you can see the mapping is some what cartoonish, I'm a bit torn between going with the more accurate to the movie map or the table.....I guess for pinball simulation we want it to look like the real toy as much as possible....but if people who owned the real cabinet had the option for a more realistic R2D2 as a mod I'm sure they'd take it.

r2d2tabletoy.jpg

Anyone got any better pictures?  Perhaps with the toy removed from the table?

Edited by dark, 21 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#32 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Go for that mapping....if you have an easy way to extract it...it will look really cool! :D

This is the one i used...maybe you can redo it and have it look more cartoonish! :)

r2d2bodycropped.jpg

#33 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

If you look closely at the pic i posted you can see it has like a loose marker wash look to the colouring, this is a common style for data east.

The body of R2 doesn't really move except for up and down so I think I could just plop the image from the photo right on to the model after warping it straight a bit.

Or it might just be worth while to re-draw to mimic the style but flat for mapping to ensure quality.

#34 agent321

agent321

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 40 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira and the Party Monsters

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for a great release of my Fav table.

I've stretched to FS for my cab and have included the settings below (if they work for anyone else).  I'm having real problems with B2S on this, for some reason it can't find the backglass even though I've changed the relevant script and renamed the backglass file.

Is anyone going to do a new version of the backglass for this?  I've got one with the grill, but you can't turn it off (the grill).

Settings:

SWmod.png

You sir ROCK!

Thanks for the MOD and the FS Help.

#35 Shoopity

Shoopity

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Go for that mapping....if you have an easy way to extract it...it will look really cool! :D

This is the one i used...maybe you can redo it and have it look more cartoonish! :)

That's exactly the one I used on the table.  It's from some papercraft thing.

#36 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Shoopity....haha...ok! :D

#37 Shoopity

Shoopity

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Contributor

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

Little update, I will be changing the Death Star to rotate Clockwise as well as having it rotate whenever R2 is on (currently it's rotating only when the door open/closes).  That's what it looks like it's supposed to do anyway, if anyone is more familiar with the table, let me know the specifics.

I will also be adding some code that will allow you to open the Death Star with only 5 Yavin moons.  JPS didn't have any code for the shift lever, I will be adding code so that any time you push the launch button, the game will think you're flipping the shift up, then down, then pushing button (if you're savvy enough to code yourself, it's switch 51).  As far as I've read anywhere, down is the only direction that matters for anything in the game and the only time it's used is to open the DS early.  Again, if anyone knows any differently, let me know.  I might end up adding additional code because I think that lever might be used for audits/extras in the ROM's setup stuff?  Again, can anyone give me any more details?  Since it's Data East's system, I'm not familiar with it like I am with William's setup menus.

I've tried some specular type lighting, but I'm bad at those sorts of things and what I've done looks bad.  If anyone wants to provide some textures they think might make R2's head look shiny (remember, his head spins so the shiny part/reflection stays in place, send it my way and I'll see what it looks like.  One thing that made mine look bad is that, only the non-blue parts are shiny on the real toy, but if you put a shine mesh on top of the regular mesh, it will "shine" on the blue parts.  Dark is working on this, but he has other commitments too; one thing I love about this community is how open everything is.  If you want to be a part of a table, regardless of how insignificant you think your contribution might be, just share it and if the table author includes it, awesome.

#38 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I really love your prim version. The speculars on R2 is not important at all, but i'll bet they will be there pretty soon! 
I'll talk with Dark about it since i think he is into it...else i can give it a try! :)

#39 SILVERBALL

SILVERBALL

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Twilightzone, Fathom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi. I have real scans of the R2D2 art labels. Dark, would that be helpful for the model?

BTW ... I also have full set of plastics for high Rez scanning and a NOS playfield as we'll. Would this be useful to make this version improved for VP9.9 and 10.0 (future)? I am more than willing to help!

Pinbalt (silverball)

#40 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi. I have real scans of the R2D2 art labels. Dark, would that be helpful for the model?

BTW ... I also have full set of plastics for high Rez scanning and a NOS playfield as we'll. Would this be useful to make this version improved for VP9.9 and 10.0 (future)? I am more than willing to help!

Pinbalt (silverball)

Yes please.

Regardless of what my current priorities are, I'm always willing to take more resources in, so yes send what ever you have my way. PM a link to an archive package please.

Edited by dark, 23 July 2014 - 04:24 PM.