#321 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

I wanted to try this out tonight. But when I start physmod2 my playfield screen flashes, turns black and after a few seconds I see the desktop come back up with this errorbox:

Fatal error: HRESULT 88760868 at ..\RenderDevice.cpp:403

What could be causing that?

Double check you are running in "windowed full screen"?

#322 krille81

krille81

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Junk Yard, White Water, Star Wars (Data East)

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi, this physmod has change everything for me. Since i try this physmod i can't go back to play without it! I have this physmod vp as official exe now. I have deleted all my 140 tables from the front end list on the cab only 8 physmod tables left on it. I will only add tables with that new physic. Best for me so far is star wars DE and TOM. I have spend much time to get perfect mod on this two games. 2 of my favuorite pinball in real :) thank you muskute again for that fantastic physmod!! :) and all you doing for vp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#323 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi, this physmod has change everything for me. Since i try this physmod i can't go back to play without it! I have this physmod vp as official exe now. I have deleted all my 140 tables from the front end list on the cab only 8 physmod tables left on it. I will only add tables with that new physic. Best for me so far is star wars DE and TOM. I have spend much time to get perfect mod on this two games. 2 of my favuorite pinball in real :) thank you muskute again for that fantastic physmod!! :) and all you doing for vp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words! Will you share your parameter settings with us? I think many people would be interested!

#324 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, lets start sharing the parameters so we can have more testers!! :D

#325 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I know this isn't related to the physics, but in the Monster Bash 2.1 physics mod table shared a few posts back .... there is a error in the left 4 green lights, the firts bottom 2 the "light glow" is wrong, its working behind the panel. See the first 2? they all need to glow like that. :D just so you all know ;)

#326 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,078 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

If you click on the ramp that makes the sign and change the ramp type to aolid. It will be fixed.

I have an update where this is already done just waiting for the dx9 release, to release it

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#327 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thanks uw!

ramp type flat ... don't see aolid or I'm doing it wrong :(

Edited by vampirolatino2, 25 April 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#328 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

ugh the editor runs so slow in this machine, and there are so many layers and stuff lol ... I'll wait for the release ;)

#329 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

Some table designer questions:

Does anyone know why on hook the table surface toggles between visible and totally black?
Does anyone know why sometimes plunger animations break?
Ramps are hard to understand. Like playboy left ramp and JP's medieval 2.4.3 right ramp. I found an older medieval where the right ramp was no problem.

122 tables fixed / converted so far.

#330 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Does anyone know why on hook the table surface toggles between visible and totally black?
Ramps are hard to understand. Like playboy left ramp and JP's medieval 2.4.3 right ramp. I found an older medieval where the right ramp was no problem.

122 already? Jesus!

#331 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

So most tables can be converted like this:

For DMD era tables:

Backdrop:

Gravity 1.0

playfield friction 0.1

Scatter 0-0.5

Table dimensions and slope

min difficulty 6.0 to 7.0

max difficulty 6.0 to 7.0

global difficulty 0

Flippers:

Mass: 1

Strength: 2400

Elasticity 0.9

Friction 0.8

Return Strength 0.1

Position End Angle: 72/288 williams, 70/290 sega/stern/data east <-- starting point for both williams/stern. Might go to 74 for far right ramps and 68 for more powerful backhands

Position End Angle: 68/292 Gottlieb

Slingshots:

I have found you usually do not need to adjust the power. You might set scatter to 5.0 to keep some randomness

Bumpers:

I've been upping these by 1 or so each. 

Plungers:

Mechanical plungers seem to need a lot of increase, unless the table was made by JPSalas. Then everything seems to work. Generally the plunger object  you need to double mech strength and release speed. 

If plunger is scripted, search the script for "plungerim" and you might find something like a power of 40 and speed of 0.6. This is very common. Usually changing power to 50-55 is about right in this case.

Next you have to test the table. Most tables you're good. But some kickers and VuK may need adjustment in both strength and sometimes angle. These are trial and error.

Finally, ramps. If the ramps are not working, you can start by increasing flipper strength. But if you go beyond 3200, the ball starts to get too fast. If this is the case, the ramp usually needs reworking. I've done the following to rework them (I'm not table designer so this may not be best method)

1) If ramp has several segments, even the height out a bit

2) Add segments to allow for #1

3) If the ramp has sharp turns widen or make the turn more gradual. May need to add control points.

4) Look in script for "help" and disable any ramp helpers. This helped a lot of TOTAN ramp.

Ball vanishing off end of ramp. I've seen this a few times. Usually solved by shortening the ramp exit so the ball drops sooner. Lowering the exit of the ramp might help, for example whirlwind left lock ramp needed to be lowered from 110 to 60 at exit. 

Ball not plunging into shooter lane - several sega tables. Had to increase ball release kickout strength.

Edited by BigBoss, 25 April 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#332 slashbot

slashbot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Scared stiff on vp,Highspeed 2,Fish Tales,T2,Circus Voltaire,Congo

• 360 Gamer Tag: slashbot

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the usefull info you provide, can someone also post some information how to fix the plunger (on some tables its like you have 2 plungers on top of each other --) totan FOM mod). Biggbos i found a problem in cyclone table u modded in left outer ramp the ball gets stuck behind. I only got this once, tried to replicate but its very hard to shoot the outer left so i gave up after a few games. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by slashbot, 25 April 2014 - 05:49 AM.

r0sqir-4.pngslashbot.jpgttzReplay.gif

Cabinet Bally Radical - setup 40'' Sony Led for playfield, 32''Led LG for Backglass, LCD screen for DMD, running LEDwiz32 12v setup with DOF and boosterboard to power toys 2x Siemens contactors for flipper feedback -2e audiocard + subwoofer setup to emulate VP flippersounds and vibration in cab (sounds fantastic) 1x red police light flasher.Lots of 5050 RGB Ledstrips bottom,back,top. 1x HUD-G for digital nudge all

Check my Visual Pinball cabinet highscores: HERE

TPA artwork resources gallery here

#333 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

I'll take a look at the cyclone. Thanks for the report :)

#334 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Yes, I noticed that one too. I just confirmed that the same thing happens in VP9, so it's not a new bug. I wonder, are table authors familiar with these bugs? It seems like a pretty common situation and one that one would have to work around somehow. I guess this is the one that people mentioned where balls don't roll around the outer side of ramps properly?

Thanks for the test table, helps to track it down faster.

Yes, this is a known bug. That's why we always add a wall at the sides of a ramp, if not the ball will stick to the side ramp like with glue. Another problem we had was to set two ramps too close to each other, since the side of one ramp has an influence on the other ramp, so the ball going up that ramp may hit "invisible" kind of force which will either stop the ball from going up or simply slow down the ball so it won't go up the ramp. These are known bugs from ages, and not just for VP9, I remember having this problem also in VP7 and 8, so it is an old bug. But we managed to make nice tables :)

Thank you and everybody who contributed to the bug hunt - I fixed it! There was some wonky math in some parts of the collision code. Balls now run perfectly smooth along the outer side of these ramps. If someone wants to provide a test table for the "two ramps next to each other" bug, I can also check that.

I also plugged some "holes" in the old ramp collision model; the ball will now no longer drop through the end of the ramp, or penetrate through the ramp side walls if they aren't high enough. This means that the ramps on some tables need to be reworked; for instance, on Whitewater, the plunger ramp needs to have its end raised so that the ball has space to roll under it after a soft plunge. But it's definitely worth it to have a consistent and physically logical collision model for ramps.

And yes -- you definitely managed to make very nice tables! I never mentioned it so far but I'm a huge fan of your creations which played a major part in getting me into VP in the first place. Is it true that you are a "retired" table author? I would so love to see what you could do with all the new stuff in VP10!

#335 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Here's another bug I found: steep wire ramps seem to get "crumpled up" somehow. It's only a visual bug, but it's quite ugly. Is anyone familiar with this? Regardless, I also fixed it in the code now.

Attached Files

#336 blashyrk

blashyrk

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, White Water

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Blashyrk

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Great work bigboss, any chance you want to share the tables you converted? :)

#337 Horrible

Horrible

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Data East Star Wars, Star Trek 25th

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the usefull info you provide, can someone also post some information how to fix the plunger (on some tables its like you have 2 plungers on top of each other --) totan FOM mod). Biggbos i found a problem in cyclone table u modded in left outer ramp the ball gets stuck behind. I only got this once, tried to replicate but its very hard to shoot the outer left so i gave up after a few games. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slashbot

Check this out, is it the problem you've been having?

http://www.vpforums....topic=27112&hl=

H

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit Sp1, [email protected], 8GB DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2Gb, NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1Gb

Crucial MX250Gb Primary' Samsung 840 128 Gb Backup

Corsair CX750 PINDMD3

#338 Shaneus

Shaneus

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: High Speed

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Shaneus2k2
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Shaneus

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Apologies for the lack of detail/knowledge (I'm far from being experienced with VP beyond using it to play things) but the right wireform exit to the right inlane on JP's FS No Fear *sometimes* causes the ball to disappear. I'm not sure how to isolate just that part of the table for auto-plunge, but hopefully this little detail helps :)

This is the table:

http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=6018

Sometimes it does it when starting the first mode, other times it'll take a few balls to see it (if at all). Seemingly random.

Here is a test table that shows how the ball falls through the playfield when it exits the ramp.

http://www.filedropp...m/ballthroughpf

I couldn't get this to reproduce on the test table at first. Turns out that the slope affects whether you get the bug or not. When min & max slope is at 6,5 it shows the bug, but values of 6 or 7 don't. The Global difficulty level is set at 0,5 which also effects the slope from what I understand.

I just tried this with No Fear @ 7 deg, was sadly able to replicate the issue. Didn't test with 6 deg or by changing the global difficulty, but it must be something else :(

To fix the (almost) impossible whirlpool shot in Whitewater; search for 'sw48_Hit' and comment out the two lines that mess with the ball velocity.

A lot of tables have these 'helper' routines and I found you can get rid of most of them. Trial and error though.

Yeah, I had a play with this and found it gave too much velocity when launching the ball, meaning unless the plunger was pulled perfectly, it'd go around the upper loop. Just limiting each value to -20 seemed to fix it (but I don't know if this still causes an issue with the ball flying off the table). It made the upper flipper shot suitably difficult as well, but it was still makeable.

But like you said, there's a lot of trial and error here. I think there's a number of tweaks that can be done for that WH2O to get it just right (the cave kickout strength is a bit too high, for example). I'm gonna have a LOT of fun tweaking the tables with the new physics, though. I think I have No Fear just about perfect and it's incredible!

Great work with your template settings and sheer effort. Could it be possible to apply your settings via some kind of batch/script to all tables? I know VPT files are essentially zips and the script is contained in "GameData", I don't know if that's where the physics settings are set, but maybe there's a way to automate it so only minor changes need to be applied per table.

Edited by Shaneus, 25 April 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#339 melon

melon

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 326 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Here's another bug I found: steep wire ramps seem to get "crumpled up" somehow. It's only a visual bug, but it's quite ugly. Is anyone familiar with this? Regardless, I also fixed it in the code now.

Great find! I can't thank you enough for what you're doing.

The problem is that at the moment almost nobody was using the default wire ramps, but now  that we can apply a texture it's going to make the things much easier for lots of us.

cycloneMini2.png TafMini2.png FishTalesMini2.png spaceShuttleMini2.png bk2kmini.png GetawayMini.png

#340 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,513 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

This is another example of a ramp problem.
The two ramps have bottom height 0 and the top height 100, in theory the ball in mid-ramp would go under without problems, instead hangs under the left ramp, the right ramp divided into two equal parts allows the passage of the ball .

Thanks

Max

Attached File  rampundertertest.vpt   128KB   9 downloads