#1 Bladeforce

Bladeforce

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Back To The Future

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi, Just thought I'd tell you guys that the wizards that make WINE on Linux have managed to get Visual Pinball working as of version 1.7.15. Been trawling through tables tonight and cant see any problems with most of them even replicates the odd error that pops up in Windows ;)

Have fun!

#2 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

Just a note: from what I heard, the DX9 build already works very well in Wine, even before this latest update.

#3 Bladeforce

Bladeforce

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Back To The Future

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

https://bugs.winehq....bug.cgi?id=8697

Bugs fixed 1.7.15

#4 earbiter

earbiter

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: many

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

See my post - http://www.vpforums....=26828&p=258478

I am still waiting for .15 to be pushed out for ubuntu but I did see in the release notes that they say that VP is working.  It has been working with software rendering for a long time.  But that was slow and laggy ie: not a lot of fun to play.  With video hardware rendering the playfield ordering had flippers and other animated objects not displaying. 

The new DX9 beta versions work very well so far.  You can be up and running on that version in just a few minutes!

#5 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,337 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

does pinmame / vpinmame tables work?

#6 earbiter

earbiter

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

I dont know that I have tried a table that DOESNT use pinmame yet.   So YES pinmame works fine once you run through its setup.

#7 berns

berns

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: sttng

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

I got it setup under Linux but vpinmame is not starting up after VP starts the table.  What am I doing wrong?  vpinmame runs good standalone via it's "test" function by running setup.exe

#8 earbiter

earbiter

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

I got it setup under Linux but vpinmame is not starting up after VP starts the table.  What am I doing wrong?  vpinmame runs good standalone via it's "test" function by running setup.exe

My ubuntu updated to the latest wine that is supposed to be fixed for vp so I tried it with 9.2.1 v932 and its better but there are still problems with the flippers not displaying unless they are moving.  The DX9 beta version 13 works extremely well as well as the newest DX9-rev977.  So I would recommend that version.

On your problem with pinmame not launching, be sure to run its setup.exe and install the .com object and verify the paths.  You also need to winetricks and add dll wsh56vb  otherwise VB scripts wont work and pinmame fails to load at VP requires the script engine.

Check those 2 things to get it running.

#9 berns

berns

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

Thanks very much, wsh56vb was the key to getting vpinmame to start.  Now that that is working here are a few more problems, I'm testing with both version 9.21 and the DX9 test 13:

- vpinmame won't stay on top of the vp playfield unless I'm in windowed mode.  I'm running xfce/xfwm, maybe that has something to do with it?

- some vp9 tables don't appear to render all the elements and/or have aliasing problems

- some vp9 tables consume excessive CPU and are not playable as they would be on Windows

- nudging is not visualized.

- flippers are always displayed in both version regardless of movement

Any other winetricks dlls need to be installed?  I'm running this from a clean wineprefix by the way.

Edited by berns, 30 March 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#10 bidinou

bidinou

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Slam Tilt (Amiga)

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi guys ! Just installed VPin under Ubuntu 14.04 amd64 / latest WINE 1.7.18. It works after installing wsh56vb via winetricks ! Cool ! Woohoo ! I had never managed to get it to work before -- I used to use Future Pinball but it became more difficult to run under Linux (although I found a step by step guide if you're interested)... And it's not supported anymore anyway.

Just a few questions : 1) sometimes the sound does not work properly (strange distortion / background noise). I guess it's due to pulseaudio ? Do you disable it ?

2) Is it possible to make the PinMAME LCD bigger ? It looks tiny in the corner :)

3) Also, as I plan to use it in a cabinet which boots directly into AdvanceMenu, I'm looking for a way to start a given table and then exit properly by pushing a button.

I can start a table with the -play parameter but when I hit escape, I go back to the Visual Pinball interface. I wish ESC could exit the game but also VP itself in order to go back to Advance Menu. Any idea ?

(Advance Menu is a fullscreen minimalistic multiemulators interface. I use it in thumbnails mode, it's pretty neat, and can combine anything you want -- I mix MAME, MESS, native titles etc).

I wish everything could be used without mouse & keyboard -- just with my arcade buttons which are translate into keyboard keys)

Edit : thanks WINE team, woohoo ! :)

Edited by bidinou, 13 May 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#11 Les73gTx

Les73gTx

Preschooler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Power Play, BoP, JackBot, MM, AFM, CV, MB,Champions Pub, CftBL, ToM, and Many More

• PS3 Gamer Tag: LCT0819, Les73gtx
  • 360 Gamer Tag: PissPoorShot

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hmmmm going to have to play with this .... I have parts here tomorrow to build a Steam OS Machine so I might have to see if I can get to work with that OS first .... the swap in a different HD and try this out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

les73gtx___atomicpin-pc.png

#12 earbiter

earbiter

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi guys ! Just installed VPin under Ubuntu 14.04 amd64 / latest WINE 1.7.18. It works after installing wsh56vb via winetricks ! Cool ! Woohoo ! I had never managed to get it to work before -- I used to use Future Pinball but it became more difficult to run under Linux (although I found a step by step guide if you're interested)... And it's not supported anymore anyway.

Just a few questions : 1) sometimes the sound does not work properly (strange distortion / background noise). I guess it's due to pulseaudio ? Do you disable it ?

2) Is it possible to make the PinMAME LCD bigger ? It looks tiny in the corner :)

3) Also, as I plan to use it in a cabinet which boots directly into AdvanceMenu, I'm looking for a way to start a given table and then exit properly by pushing a button.

I can start a table with the -play parameter but when I hit escape, I go back to the Visual Pinball interface. I wish ESC could exit the game but also VP itself in order to go back to Advance Menu. Any idea ?

(Advance Menu is a fullscreen minimalistic multiemulators interface. I use it in thumbnails mode, it's pretty neat, and can combine anything you want -- I mix MAME, MESS, native titles etc).

I wish everything could be used without mouse & keyboard -- just with my arcade buttons which are translate into keyboard keys)

Edit : thanks WINE team, woohoo ! :)

#1  I dont have any sound problems on 12.04 running nvidia drivers.  Check your wine audio settings. Mine are winealsa.drv and system default for all.

#2  You can alt-click the pinmame lcd and settings/double size.  Not sure it if will save that setting per table though.

#3  There may be a way to call vp and pass it the table name so you never see the editor interface and hopefully exit from it cleanly as well.  Search the forums here. Or hopefully someone else will answer you.

I did verify my setup instructions in a clean wineprefix(bottle) just to be sure exactly what was needed.

Its great the dx9 (version 990) runs perfectly under wine with full acceleration!  I am enjoying going through all the tables and playing them.  Looking forward to VP10 with the physics engine overhaul.

Edited by earbiter, 13 May 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#13 berns

berns

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I get VP and Pinmame to work in Linux also with the latest Wine under a clean prefix.  The only problem I'm having is the Pinmame DMD won't "stay on top" of the VP window when it's fullscreen.  In windowed mode the DMD does stay on top.  Anyone else seeing this?

#14 earbiter

earbiter

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

I get VP and Pinmame to work in Linux also with the latest Wine under a clean prefix.  The only problem I'm having is the Pinmame DMD won't "stay on top" of the VP window when it's fullscreen.  In windowed mode the DMD does stay on top.  Anyone else seeing this?

See if - Run winecfg, go to graphics tab, check "Emulate a virtual desktop" and set initial resolution (program can change this size if it needs to).

Helps by running in a virt desktop.  Supposed to be good for full screen stuff.  From - http://forum.winehq....opic.php?t=2255

Or maybe - the option you are looking for is winecfg -> graphics -> alow the window manager to control the window.

from - http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=687291

Search through the winehq forums for more...