• Please log in to reply
2087 replies to this topic

#561 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Indiana Jones, Addams Family

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

wow wow wow ! big thank you for test4.exe ! fxaa works very good (via nvidia contol panel) speed is incedibly good in w7 ! i can play monsterbash now without stutter even at 4 ball multiball :D i love it !

when i turn on AA i have a lot of flickering objects in monsterbash but i am more than happy with fxaa ! again thank you very much !!! fantastic work !!!!

what i noticed while testing:

T2_CE_Tipoto_1.07_FS you can see the bezels of the prerendered tiles on the table but plays good

AFM_vp914_v2.4.vpt (JPs last FS version i think) the light inserts turn completely black ... strange :P

creature_from_the_black_lagoon_fshd_mod_1.1   the creature does not show ...

I am seeing the same as above with a modification.    CFBL - does not show the creature as each FILM letter is achieved but the creature does appear if you get far enough along to start the movie.    So I believe it has to do with the light trigger.    If I remember correctly, this was a bug when this table mod was first released that the creature preview did not appear with FILM letter activation.   I think .

Also a similar issue as AFM, Frankenstein lights look like they are being viewed through a blind.

All the tables I have tested are very smooth..   Fanstastic work.

Edited by naboodiver, 21 February 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#562 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Dll is compressed, but is uptodate with almost latest beta revision.
I would love to see king kong in unity3d with the future pinball table and the vpm rom, that is added on my build :)
Just realised this was not the unity topic..

#563 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just a test report: Heavy flickering (textures and ball) in Bad Cats and Roadshow.

#564 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

I played bad cats last night and it looked and played nearly perfect (only flickers when AA is turned on, I do turn on FXAA in Nvida control panel though)

#565 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

BC(and others) only causes flickering with AA enabled for me on my laptop. FXAA is fine though.
Haven't tried this on my cab yet though.

Edited by zany, 21 February 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#566 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

made image decals render over lights on the playfield

I didn't have time to make a screenshot and upload it because I'm heading out the door for work, but image decals on the backdrop do not appear to be fixed by the fix you did for the playfield lights.

Please try PacDude's Medusa 1.0 desktop table and you can see the black bumpers instead of the bumper cap images that are on the backdrop.  Perhaps this is fixable in a different area of the source code, that draws the backdrop portions?

I fixed that problem. But I have a question, when I try to play Medusa, I can insert coins and press the start button, and the ROM is responding with proper speech and sound effects, but no ball ever appears. Would you happen to know why that happens? It also happens with the other VP9 versions I have on my computer, so it's not a DX9 issues.

Edited by mukuste, 21 February 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#567 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Medusa works fine for me.

Some issues I found: In Nitro Ground Shaker, the ball completely disappears when dropping into a kicker hole. In other tables, it is just cut in half but you already mentioned that.

Hook: the playfield graphics disappears and flashes in/out (I think when the GI flashes). The apron has lines.

Attached File  hook.jpg   226.06KB   16 downloads

Attack from Mars, Haunted House: unlit lamps on the playfield appear black

Attached File  afm.jpg   287.34KB   17 downloads   Attached File  hh.jpg   293.38KB   16 downloads

A lot of tables seem to have crackling / worse sound than with the DX7 version.

In general, performance is excellent. High and stable frame rates, no stutter. Great job!

This is with WinXP, GTX 560, Athlon Phenom II, 270.61 nvidia driver.

#568 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

This new windowed fullscreen mode is making me crazy. Since using it (DX9 version and latest rev922) the DMD is suddenly on monitor 2 instead of 3 (position 1836 instead of 3260 on my system). If I manually drag it to the right position, after starting the table again it's on monitor 2 again - it simply does not remember the right setting. It's interesting that if I move the DMD to the right position I can see the right values in the registry but as soon as I start the table again it overrides the values to 1836 again instead of 3260. What can I do?

For me what happens is that if I try to run a table in "full screen" mode and get that "Machine terminated" error, from that point forward the DMD position is now corrupt for that ROM.    Subsequent attempts to run the table (even after switching to window full screen, or going back to DX7) will have the DMD in the wrong place.    If I go into the registry and delete the entry for that ROM, VPM will pick up my (correct) default and my DMD goes back to where it should be in window full screen mode.   I haven't spent enough time with it to see exactly what item is changing that's causing it to move.

Edited by DJRobX, 22 February 2014 - 01:20 AM.

#569 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

made image decals render over lights on the playfield

I didn't have time to make a screenshot and upload it because I'm heading out the door for work, but image decals on the backdrop do not appear to be fixed by the fix you did for the playfield lights.

Please try PacDude's Medusa 1.0 desktop table and you can see the black bumpers instead of the bumper cap images that are on the backdrop.  Perhaps this is fixable in a different area of the source code, that draws the backdrop portions?

I fixed that problem. But I have a question, when I try to play Medusa, I can insert coins and press the start button, and the ROM is responding with proper speech and sound effects, but no ball ever appears. Would you happen to know why that happens? It also happens with the other VP9 versions I have on my computer, so it's not a DX9 issues.

Probably the ball is too big to enter the shooter lane.  Move the control point up here like in this screenshot and it should allow the ball to enter the shooter lane:

pd-medusa-10_t.png

Best Regards,

Todd.

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#570 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Test4 still has problems with Twilight Zone.   Same big texture blocking the upper left quadrant.

Still get weird HRESULT errors loading T 'n A and now X.    I can see you've implemented the texture size limit (seeing blurry images if I pick a small size), so it's not that.   I did try different versions of the drivers, no difference.  I do strongly suspect it would work if I put Win7 x64 back on.

This version will play beautifully but often hangs completely on exit (I have to kill it with the task manager).  

#571 Arcade4

Arcade4

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

Late to the party on this one.

What a great thread. I stayed up until 2 A.M. Yesterday reading every post with more and more enthusiasm.

I finally had a few moments after work to download test 4 and check things out.

At first there was great disappointment as I got several errors upon startup.

Then I suddenly remembered the program had to be run in Windowed Mode.

Eureka!!, The next thing I knew I had Monster Bash, PC Killer version up and running smooth as glass.

As much as I wanted to try more tables out I was short on time and had to quit.

But I will certainly be playing with this more tomorrow. 

Can't believe how fast this upgrade it moving along. I guess nothing is impossible. :)

Edited by Arcade4, 22 February 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#572 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

Test4 still has problems with Twilight Zone.   Same big texture blocking the upper left quadrant.

Still get weird HRESULT errors loading T 'n A and now X.    I can see you've implemented the texture size limit (seeing blurry images if I pick a small size), so it's not that.   I did try different versions of the drivers, no difference.  I do strongly suspect it would work if I put Win7 x64 back on.

This version will play beautifully but often hangs completely on exit (I have to kill it with the task manager).  

Hm, strange. TZ plays perfectly fine for me. Are you on XP? Did you see that other post about the glitch on Airborne, it looked similar; can you try and see if you get that too? Because that's another one I can't reproduce and it happens only on XP, apparently.

T,A,X: Sorry. Not much I can do without trying them myself. I don't know why you can't talk about them, but if you can send me one of them by PM, I can have a look.

Do you get any messages with that hang, or it just stops working? Nobody else seems to have such issues, it's weird.

#573 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Yep, you're right -  Airborne does have a giant texture blocking it also.   It looked fine in Test2. 

VP just freezes and doesn't exit (the player window stays and won't go away).  No errors.    If this problem persists closer to release, I'll make a debug build and attach a debugger to see what's going on.

#574 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I played around with the new test version and found out that the physics seem to be different to the latest official release! The better way I find. Maybe it's because of DirectX 9 having a more stable framerate with some free resources because of this? It's interesting how different Roadshow plays on rev922 and test3. Middle shots are much more easy now (maybe too easy). I think I have to change some flipper settings when the final release is here! ;)

So I'm really looking forward to the final DX9 release! :)

#575 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

NOTE: Test5 had issues and was replaced by Test5a

Download VP9_DX9_test5a here: Attached File  VP9_DX9_test5a.zip   670.7KB   127 downloads
Important: instead of fullscreen mode, run in "windowed fullscreen" mode.

If you get flicker, please try disabling AA.

I realize this is coming a bit soon after Test4, but I'm pretty excited about the latest changes and wanted to share them for people to try out on the weekend :)

I think I finally found a way to work around the issue where tables had their inserts or other parts of the playfield turn pure black. This should be a major step forward for compatibility. Give those tables a spin and let me know if things improved. Of course, also report all other issues you find.

Changes since Test4:
  • fixed the issue with black inserts etc (AFM, CFTBL, and many other tables)
  • anisotropic filtering for playfield texture
  • blinking lights and bumpers should work now
  • fixed rendering of decals on backdrop
  • fixed lights on backdrop (partially? please report)
  • fixed minor spinner rendering glitch
  • fixed black spots at the flipper ends
  • fixed an issue where rescaled textures were more blurry than they needed to be
  • (toxie) quality FXAA
  • (toxie) 3D AA supported again
  • (toxie) VSync re-enabled

As usual, if you find more glitches, screenshots and exact table names/versions help a lot to track them down!

Happy testing!

Edited by mukuste, 22 February 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#576 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: CV

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thanks again Mukuste for your work! One question: Would it be possible to add higher resolutions to the "windowed fullscreen"? Just got myself a 2560x1440 monitor and now the 1920x1080 windowed mode doesn't cover the whole screen anymore... Of course only if this is easy to implement.

#577 buttsy19

buttsy19

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, Cirqus voltaire, to many to mention

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Wow just Wow. You sir have just made my weekend, the small problems I had with only a few tables have now been fixed by this release. Congratulations and much respect to you and all the devs who continue to make vp such a magical experience.

After playing a few tables my fps seem to be pegged at 60 no matter what table I play and no matter what settings I try to force. high settings low settings fps always stay at 60 and I have a small amount of ball stutter.

Edited by buttsy19, 22 February 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#578 mfuegemann

mfuegemann

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,212 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Fast Draw

Contributor

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi mukuste,

+ Backdrop lights are working (all states)

+ Playfield lights state LightstateBlinking is working 

+ Playfield image is crystal clear and sharp

+ Bumper heads are lit when hit

still not working for me

(Rugby)

- Playfield Text decals, Image Decals are OK

- Backdrop Text decals, Image Decals are OK

- Transparency calculation is not right (Transparency set to 2/0/0 and colors 0/0/0 are shown as transparent)

- The large Image EMReel with the Apron Help card is not working (press "H" key)

- Backdrop Textboxes are not working (just to mention it)

(CP and RAB)

- Ball still flickering despite deactivating all AA within the table video preferences

The tables are even faster now with VSynch having a devastating effect on fps (1400 -> 60).

Regards

Michael

Edited by mfuegemann, 22 February 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#579 Les73gTx

Les73gTx

Preschooler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Power Play, BoP, JackBot, MM, AFM, CV, MB,Champions Pub, CftBL, ToM, and Many More

• PS3 Gamer Tag: LCT0819, Les73gtx
  • 360 Gamer Tag: PissPoorShot

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Wow just Wow. You sir have just made my weekend, the small problems I had with only a few tables have now been fixed by this release. Congratulations and much respect to you and all the devs who continue to make vp such a magical experience.

After playing a few tables my fps seem to be pegged at 60 no matter what table I play and no matter what settings I try to force. high settings low settings fps always stay at 60 and I have a small amount of ball stutter.

This is what vsync does in any and all games. With it turned on it will limit the frames rendered to the refresh rate of the monitor to eliminate graphical glitches known as tearing. This is not something to be alarmed about as it is doing its job as intended. The human eye will not see a difference in frames in anything over 32 - 35fps anyways so there should be no visual difference from 1400+ to the 60 you are getting now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

les73gtx___atomicpin-pc.png

#580 buttsy19

buttsy19

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, Cirqus voltaire, to many to mention

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yes my mistake v-sync was turned on. With it switched off I had no ball stuttering and game play was once again smooth. With it on small amounts of stutter were introduced, is this correct.