#381 open6l

open6l

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 639 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Legacy

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

That flash based Monopoly was a hit and a miss for a lot of folks. For example on my quad it ran quite smoothly and yet there are a few other VP tables with a lot less flair that run very poorly for me.

1500??? The table was for a long time considered as the pc killer table

open6l___gaming.png

#382 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

it was a nightmare for me as well, and i was happy luvthatapex remade it

#383 open6l

open6l

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 639 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Legacy

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I just briefly tested it under DX9. It plays A LOT more smoothly (and looks better too) but there are some issues with it. The lighting for the most part seems to work fine and the flippers look sharper. The LCD/LED mini screen on the playfield though does not work or light up. The ball also seems to experience some transparency issues at times. Definitely though it plays much better with DX9.

open6l___gaming.png

#384 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I just loaded up the Pac Dude (vp8) versions of Centaur and Medusa and I must say, (very minor graphics issues aside) the gameplay with tech beta2 just feels too awesome!

VP8 Centaur with VP9_DX9_test? I tried that; the table rendered properly, I think, but all of the score/credits/ball in play displays remained grey. Yours,too? Without playing I went back to the Editor briefly, then hit Play again and my computer crashed/restarted. No-harm-no-foul, as it's just a test, but when I first DL'ed the game four years ago, I experimented with VP8 Centaur-in-VP9, and it played quite well except for the plunged ball seldom making it into the playfield (Bigger ball in VP9, and all that, but it was as if the plunger imparted backspin).

Was that with Test2? Because reels are only in the second version and would not work in the first. I definitely had an extended session with the PacDude Centaur on DX9 last night (new high score too, 1.7 mio :D ) Looked and played great to me.

thanks for all the incredible work porting vp to DX9.  I see how much better tables play with Win7x64, but I am wondering how this will benefit table builders.  Will it be easier to build the lights with Dx9?  Less tricks needed?

Definitely. I had an extended private conversation with Toxie about VP10 plans, and going back and forth we worked out the fundamentals of a new shader-based lighting system that, if it works out like that, should look fantastic. It will also be less work to get great results; for instance, for playfield lights, all that will be needed is to provide a single alpha mask that tells the engine where the transparent parts of the light are. The rest will be done by the engine and hopefully yield much better results than before.

#385 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Awesome work, keep it up!!!! :)

#386 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

T2 Chrome edition is still missing most of its graphics in test2.    I know this is an unusual table so I'm not too surprised, but I figured I'd mention it since you say you've added EMReel support.   

-- Rob 

#387 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

1500??? The table was for a long time considered as the pc killer table

yea that table has always ran great for me checkpoint was always my lowest but after 9.2 even it will runs over 200fps now only the MB pc killer is the only table to have studder at 75fps.. but runs great on dx9 around 700.. I will test some after work tonight..

Edited by LoadedWeapon, 15 February 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#388 hotdp

hotdp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

• Flag: Denmark

• Favorite Pinball: T2

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

T2 Chrome edition is still missing most of its graphics in test2.    I know this is an unusual table so I'm not too surprised, but I figured I'd mention it since you say you've added EMReel support.   

-- Rob 

Would love to be able to play this table super smooth! Hope it will be available in the DX9 version

#389 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

yea i guess Monopoly not the best example.. now with 9.2 i get over 3000fps and with dx9 just 600fps but booth play smooth but the sign dont work on dx9..

Attached File  9.2.png   1.49MB   14 downloadsAttached File  dx9.png   1.47MB   15 downloads

#390 naboodiver

naboodiver

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 397 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff, Attack from Mars, Indiana Jones, Addams Family

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

This is the best..    Table graphic look great and are very smooth...   Keep up the great work team.  

I noticed a few graphical things not mentioned so far:

On the Creature From the Black Lagoon, the hologram image of the creature nor to FILM lights work.    

On Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, Nel tied to the log is missing.   

Edited by naboodiver, 15 February 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#391 AaronShupp

AaronShupp

Human Paraquat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bride of PinBot

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Cheesy suggestion from a marketing guy — if the milestone for advancing the version up to VP10 is the completion of this endeavor, consider calling it VPX.

Much like calling something extortion rather than blackmail, the X makes it sound cooler lol.

Edited by AaronShupp, 15 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#392 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

-- Rob 

It basically works now in the latest build (not public yet), but unfortunately there are some black seams where the images don't quite fit together. I'm not completely sure what causes this, but it seems that debugging this would take an inordinate amount of time for a single table, so for now it'll have to stay like this.

#393 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones(Williams), Attack from Mars

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

-- Rob 

It basically works now in the latest build (not public yet), but unfortunately there are some black seams where the images don't quite fit together. I'm not completely sure what causes this, but it seems that debugging this would take an inordinate amount of time for a single table, so for now it'll have to stay like this.

T2 Chrome ONLY works in 1920*1080 resolution perfectly.

So if you have black lines maybe becouse you tried different resolution-

#394 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I remember that tipoto occasionally had to adjust this table after a new VP release came out, so it's possible he'd have to do it again (which is time-consuming).

#395 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Cool.   Yeah, as Sheltemke said, this table is so particular, it only runs correctly at a specific resolution.   I just figured I'd mention as it might be the worst case scenario for debugging emreel support.    Looking forward to test3!   :)

Cheesy suggestion from a marketing guy — if the milestone for advancing the version up to VP10 is the completion of this endeavor, consider calling it VPX.

It sounds like Mukuste's current work will go into VP 9.3, a "final" VP9 that runs our current tables in DX9 as faithfully as reasonably possible as the old DX7 builds.      Then they will move onto VP10 where they break compatibility but start to unlock more of the possibilities that dynamic 3D rendering offers.

Edited by DJRobX, 16 February 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#396 GSGregg

GSGregg

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,131 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally CENTAUR (1981)

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

I just loaded up the Pac Dude (vp8) versions of Centaur and Medusa.....

VP8 Centaur with VP9_DX9_test? I tried that; the table rendered properly, I think, but all of the score/credits/ball in play displays remained grey.

Was that with Test2? Because reels are only in the second version and would not work in the first.

Nah.....the first; I hadn't DL'ed the Test2 at that time. I've been trying to figure out why JP's Medieval-Madness_VP91x_2.3.2 no longer works for me. I was going to use it for the DX9 testbed because it broke up so badly during multiball, lighting events and end-of-trolls gong-bangs that I gave up on it about two years ago. It apparently is not available anywhere for re-download, and all I know so far is that the script page is BLANK. Can a table play without a script? This is the first blank one I can recall seeing.

#397 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

the MM 2.3.2 download can be found in JP's current MM 2.4.3 download link. The older releases are still there
http://www.vpforums....s&showfile=4323

#398 GSGregg

GSGregg

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,131 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally CENTAUR (1981)

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

Thanks, gtxjoe; I thought so, too, but the 'previous versions' there are all 2.4s. I haven't checked JP's own site yet, though.....

Gregg

#399 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

Download VP9_DX9_test3 here: Attached File  VP9_DX9_test3.zip   652.29KB   145 downloads
 Important: instead of fullscreen mode, run in "windowed fullscreen" mode.

I'm really curious about the effects of some major changes I made to the draw order. I completely changed the order in which things are drawn and now try to render first all non-transparent items, then the transparent ones in depth-sorted order. (On top of that there are some hacks to improve compatibility with old tables.) I hope this fixes many of the draw order issues, but in changing this completely it's very likely that I broke many other things related to draw order.

Also, I finally came up with a clever little hack to emulate the order in which lights are drawn in VP9 which I think did miracles for the lights on many tables. I basically remember all lights which had their state changed in the current frame and then reorder the draw list of lights to put them at the back. Whereas before tables which used the fading lights routine often seemed to have "stuck" lights, they seem to work flawlessly or at least much better now. However, GI lights still seem to cause troubles.

Then there's some other small things for which you can read the list of changes below.

Things to focus on in this test release: draw order issues, problems with lights.

As always, please try to show problems with screenshots and exact table names and versions, preferably with download link. Also, mention your GPU.

Changes since the second test:

• fixed some crashes
  • fixed single-pixel lines on some tables (AFM, IJ)
  • kickers now render properly (although balls in cup kickers are still cut in half)
  • major overhaul to draw order of all elements, still WIP
  • implemented an emulation of VP9 draw order for lights
  • fixed Homer head on TSPP
  • fixed overall rendering of T2 Chrome
  • enabled monitor ball stretching for windowed fullscreen

Known issues:

• lights set to blinking don't work
  • textboxes don't work
  • EM reels only work in Image Reel mode, not Text Reel
  • text decals don't work
  • Stereo 3D disabled
  • AA disabled
  • renderer uses non-power-of-two textures, may cause troubles on some older cards
  • "real" full screen mode doesn't work with VPM. Workaround: set "ddraw" to 0 in the VPM settings (though DMD doesn't seem to show). Instead, try "Windowed fullscreen" mode. This also works with b2s.
  • textures aren't preloaded, can lead to stutter in some cases
  • lost devices aren't handled properly
  • screen shake doesn't work

Happy testing!

Edited by mukuste, 16 February 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#400 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

Thank you!
Off testing now ;)