mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Ok, since I got lights rendering correctly too now, I figured this would be a good time to put out a first test version and see if and how it runs on people's systems.

This is not a beta version of VP10. This is purely a techdemo for the DX9 renderer to collect first feedback.

Please DO NOT use this version to build tables.

Please DO report crashes, renderer bugs, first performance impressions, comparisons between Windows XP and 7, compatibility with systems where the DDraw renderer had issues... Please mention your OS and graphics card when reporting issues.

Don't expect too much from the performance in this release for various reasons: many elements are not really optimized yet, and it's built as a Debug version so it's not as fast as it could be. This aspect will only get better as we keep optimizing.

To try it, put the executable into your existing VP 9.2.X folder and, as usual, set "Run as administrator". While you're there, I also recommend checking "Disable desktop composition" (unless you're on XP, which doesn't have that) as that has a drastic effect on windowed mode performance (on my system at least).

Known issues (please don't report these, I know about them):

• full screen mode doesn't work with VPM (but please do try and let me know if it works, maybe it's something particular to my system). Workaround: set "ddraw" to 0 in the VPM settings (though DMD doesn't seem to show). The Loafer also reports that db2s has to be disabled.
  • lights set to blinking don't work
  • textboxes don't work
  • EM reels don't work
  • kickers don't respect the depth buffer correctly
  • tables with complicated static walls may cause an error message "Call to DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB has too many indices."
  • Stereo 3D disabled
  • AA disabled
  • renderer uses non-power-of-two textures, may cause troubles on some older cards
  • textures aren't preloaded, can lead to stutter in some cases
  • lost devices aren't handled properly (no alt-tabbing out of fullscreen mode)
  • the Region Update/Region optimization flags have no effect. This is actually not an issue, it's just a side effect of the whole region system going away in the DX9 version, but I thought I should mention it to avoid confusion. Also, the Hardware Rendering flag does (almost) nothing anymore.
  • "Graphics memory" reported by F11 is bogus

PS: I understand any concerns about running executables from complete strangers. All I can do about that is to run it through an online virus scanner, where it comes back clean, and recommend that you do the same.

Attached Files

Edited by mukuste, 09 February 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#182 luvthatapex

luvthatapex

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,435 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Tron

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Yes, this is true with some problem dmd tables that wont run. If you disable directdraw they will run since the dmd window isnt full screen anymore. Now you will have to determine the x and y coordinates of where the window is drawn and you can make this the default in your registry so if younturn off ddraw on another dmd table, the dmd window will draw where you want it.

If you still cant find the dmd window,, you can zero out the x and y in the table script to put the window back into view.

.Games(cGameName).settings.value("dmd_pos_x")=0
.Games(cGameName).settings.value("dmd_pos_y")=0

Then drag it where you want it, and comment out these 2 lines and it will stay.

Ok, I found a partial workaround for the VPM fullscreen problem. If I set "ddraw" to 0 in the table's VPM registry settings, I can get it to run. So it's again that ugly DirectDraw rearing its head. The problem is that then the table runs, but the DMD is nowhere to be seen as it seems to be in the background. I thought that there was a recent fix for this but it doesn't seem to work in this case. Still, this is good to know and really narrows down where we have to look for the problem in the future.

#183 Shooby Doo

Shooby Doo

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fathom

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I just tried Circus Voltaire, Scared Stiff, and UW's new Monster Bash and the lowest FPS I saw was 306, average was about 425, compared to the 70 FPS I had while playing MB this morning in VP 9.2. I'm running an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz with a GTS450. I only noticed issues you already mentioned. I'm pretty damn happy right now :D. Thanks for you efforts mukuste!

#184 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

I just tried Circus Voltaire, Scared Stiff, and UW's new Monster Bash and the lowest FPS I saw was 306, average was about 425, compared to the 70 FPS I had while playing MB this morning in VP 9.2. I'm running an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz with a GTS450. I only noticed issues you already mentioned. I'm pretty damn happy right now :D. Thanks for you efforts mukuste!

Holy crap, that's the best news I heard all day... I was already worrying that the PCs of everyone who tried my version were spontaneously self combusting since nobody had replied so far, but this is better than anything I expected. I'm a happy camper right now.

#185 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,074 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have it crashing upon table launch on my windows 8 Ultrabook.
I'll try my desktop tomorrow.
Getting machine terminated error first the a extender error

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#186 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I have it crashing upon table launch on my windows 8 Ultrabook.
I'll try my desktop tomorrow.
Getting machine terminated error first the a extender error

Ah, so it's the VPM error? Have you tried windowed mode?

#187 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

That is the one thing I didn't try. Will check and get back to you
This is awesome.
Just tried windowed mode.
Went from avg 32 fps to avg 152 fps on the monster bash table.

I5 quad 2.6 ghz
2gb shared ram
Intel 4000 on board graPhics
Windows 8.1 pro 64

uw2.gif

#188 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

:love39:   I am about to try it, will report back momentarily!!!

#189 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Quick question
My Ultrabook has a display with 3200 x 1800 resolution. Will dx9 allow for this type of high res rendering.
The old vp crashes on that res but will play on something in the 2000's x 1536

uw2.gif

#190 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Quick question
My Ultrabook has a display with 3200 x 1800 resolution. Will dx9 allow for this type of high res rendering.
The old vp crashes on that res but will play on something in the 2000's x 1536

To be honest I have no idea. Never touched a display with more than Full HD resolution.

#191 luvthatapex

luvthatapex

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,435 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tron

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I am running XP service pack 3 and using the latest Monster Bash from UW as a test.

Here is a screenie of your DX9 build and one of the exact same view with the current DX7 build 908.

A few fps faster with the DX9, but I am not seeing any differences, they both look great.

This is an older e5800 3.2ghz dual core with 3gb ram and a geforce 9400T 2GB.

I had trouble running a tables, like Twilight zone 1.2NM. They bombed immediately with render errors.

attached screenie

Attached Files

#192 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Strange you are not getting a fps jump

uw2.gif

#193 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

I am running XP service pack 3 and using the latest Monster Bash from UW as a test.

Here is a screenie of your DX9 build and one of the exact same view with the current DX7 build 908.

A few fps faster with the DX9, but I am not seeing any differences, they both look great.

This is an older e5800 3.2ghz dual core with 3gb ram and a geforce 9400T 2GB.

I had trouble running a tables, like Twilight zone 1.2NM. They bombed immediately with render errors.

attached screenie

So on XP, the gain isn't that huge, which was pretty much expected since there DirectDraw is still well supported. Also your GPU is older.

That error looks like another full screen error, you could try windowed.

Edited by mukuste, 08 February 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#194 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Wow! screenshot of FPS attached of my High Speed 1.0.5 recreation for VP 9.1.2 [desktop version]

My desktop system is a core i5-4670k @ 3.4Ghz w/8Gb system ram and I'm using 2x Asus GTX 760 w/2Gb ram each, in SLI mode, running Win 7 64bit.

vp9-dx9-test-0001_t.png

I did not notice any obvious rendering issues and the performance seemed to be great! :dblthumb:

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#195 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Yea i tried ... Like u said full screen not working but windowed I get a great FPS boost.. I5 4.2   gtx 660   most tables seem like a 200-300 fps boost.. Very nice! few graphic errors like lines on the screen but plays great!

#196 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I get the following error trying to load/run Monster Bash 2.1 LP version:  "Machine terminated before Initialized, check the rom path or rom file!". I then got the identical error as indicated by LTA, refering to the renderdevice_vp9.cpp:213.  I am running a DOF/dB2S system so I disabled the dB2S on this table but the same error came up again

My system specs:

i7 quad @ 3.5ghz

8 gigs of ram

Nvidia 570 with 1.28 gigs of ram

Win 7 64bit

Will now try with other games in case its a limitation of this table due to only having 1.25gb GPU.  Will report back momentarily.

#197 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Run in windowed mode loader.
It crashes for me fs also

uw2.gif

#198 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Had the same issue trying other tables however I found the issue causing the direct renderer error.  As many pincab users do, I set the "hidden =" option in the script to "1" to hide the DMD. This version of VP presently does not like this! 

So recap:  What you need to do is adjust the HIDDEN = 1 and put it back to = 0, game then loads fine.  Experimenting with different tables, will confirm after my tests.

#199 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Aside from a few quirks, I also get a nice fps boost on some tables, but lose fps on others... On Moster Bash, I go from 50ish on my Win8.1, i5 3.4ghz, gtx760, up to about 600 to 700 and it seems to have smoothed out the microstutter I was having. On Cirqus Voltaire, I go from almost 1000 down to about 500, although I didn't notice any gameplay issues.

#200 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Aside from a few quirks, I also get a nice fps boost on some tables, but lose fps on others... On Moster Bash, I go from 50ish on my Win8.1, i5 3.4ghz, gtx760, up to about 600 to 700 and it seems to have smoothed out the microstutter I was having. On Cirqus Voltaire, I go from almost 1000 down to about 500, although I didn't notice any gameplay issues.

I wouldn't worry about going from 1000 to 500, that just comes from the new renderer having to do more "base work" per frame. 500 fps is still much more than anyone will ever need. On the other hand, going from 50 to more than 600 fps on MB sounds fantastic.