#1 newandy

newandy

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 32 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: circus voltair

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Is there any way to lower the intensity of the RGB LEDs on the LEDWIZ with out putting in lower wattage LEDs.  I noticed the COLOR settings at the top of the ledcontrol.ini file.

[Colors LedWiz]

Black=5,5,5
White=48,48,48
Red=48,0,0
Yellow=48,48,0
Orange=48,24,0
Lime=0,48,0
Green=0,24,0
Cyan=0,48,48
Blue=0,0,48
Purple=12,0,24
Violet=24,0,48
Magenta=48,0,48
Brown=24,12,0

If I lower these setting lets say by 5 units each would that lower the intensity while keeping the proper colors.  I know I can test this on my CAB but since I don't know what this is going to do I figured I ask first before I blow something out.

#2 zebulon

zebulon

Cantankerous old B****D

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,172 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: xenon, Medieval Madness, Royal Flush, Silverball Mania

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

If you increase the resistance you can decrease the intensity (brightness). Just be aware that you will probably need a higher wattage resistor if you try to dump too much of the power.

Altering the colour table will just change the actual colour, not the brightness of it.

ZB%20%20Storefront1%20.png               [email protected]

Don't pm or expect an answer from me here ... the links above are my contacts.

I know so much about so little that I could teach you all there is to know about nothing......

#3 gamefixer

gamefixer

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 575 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BK2K

• PS3 Gamer Tag: gamefixer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: gamefixer

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

FWIW, I did as Zeb described. I didnt like how bright the CREE's were driven by the recommended voltage and resistors. So I'm running my CREE's at 5VDC with 27 ohm 5 Watt resistors on them. 

As you can see from the attached link the LEDs drive just fine this way.

#4 zebulon

zebulon

Cantankerous old B****D

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

That should be dropping the leds to just above their threshold requirements to fire completely. It will likely add years to the lifespan of the led... :) Looks good and glad you go it sorted out.

Edited by zebulon, 11 June 2013 - 12:10 PM.

I know so much about so little that I could teach you all there is to know about nothing......

#5 Darkmeteor

Darkmeteor

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Pinball Dreams

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

The intensity can be lowered just fine in the Future Pinball ledwiz script settings. Why couldn't it be that simple with VP ?

I tried to put for exemple I10 or 10 for the flashers in the tables ini, but it didn't change anything... I guess it doesn't work that way.

#6 zebulon

zebulon

Cantankerous old B****D

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I haven't had a chance to look at the future pinball ledwiz settings, but from what I remember of several discussions, the software and settings for that are quite a bit more involved than the vp approach. I'm assuming that it has a wider range of controls and features as it has been a more recent creation.

#7 rooter

rooter

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theater of Magic

• 360 Gamer Tag: root88

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I haven't had a chance to look at the future pinball ledwiz settings, but from what I remember of several discussions, the software and settings for that are quite a bit more involved than the vp approach. I'm assuming that it has a wider range of controls and features as it has been a more recent creation.

Really?  I set up the LEDWiz script stuff for FP and I thought it was a ton more intuitive.  You can change your system settings as a whole, whereas in VP, you would need to edit the settings for every single game by running a script on a website (that isn't always up) and copying and pasting those settings into a file in your VP games folder.  I'm not even sure how it works when new tables come out that the script doesn't handle yet.  It's a big deal to me because my shaker motor is insanely strong.  I never want it running at 100%.  I believe that games not in the script will always output at full power, but I could be wrong.  There is never a chance that an output will run higher than the users setting in the FP .ini file.

If anyone can think of an easier way to do it, I would be more than happy to try and implement the idea.  Please let me know.

#8 Darkmeteor

Darkmeteor

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Pinball Dreams

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

After a lot of trial and errors, I found out the easiest solution is actually changing the colour table. It is changing the intensity of each color, so the overall intensity is obviously lower too, it's just a bit harder to find the right color combination to keep the same color tone. For exemple, 48,48,48 will be white, 10,10,10 will be white too, but with a lower intensity, the important thing is to try and keep the same ratio to get the right color. I'm really happy with the result.

What I did is using the ledwiz software downloaded from groovygamegear, testing each color in real time and lowering it's RGB intensity values while trying to keep the same color, and it worked quite well !

Edited by Darkmeteor, 21 June 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#9 zebulon

zebulon

Cantankerous old B****D

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Really?  I set up the LEDWiz script stuff for FP and I thought it was a ton more intuitive.  You can change your system settings as a whole, whereas in VP, you would need to edit the settings for every single game by running a script on a website (that isn't always up) and copying and pasting those settings into a file in your VP games folder.  I'm not even sure how it works when new tables come out that the script doesn't handle yet.  It's a big deal to me because my shaker motor is insanely strong.  I never want it running at 100%.  I believe that games not in the script will always output at full power, but I could be wrong.  There is never a chance that an output will run higher than the users setting in the FP .ini file.

If anyone can think of an easier way to do it, I would be more than happy to try and implement the idea.  Please let me know.

What I was getting at was that there was a lot more control over the settings in the FP approach vs the VP approach, not that it was more involved or difficult.

Edited by zebulon, 21 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.