• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,393 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Lord of the Rings VP91x
File Submitter: jpsalas
File Submitted: 10 Jun 2009
File Category: VPinMAME 9.x Recreations
Author(s): jpsalas
Manufacturer: Stern
Year: 2003
Permission to MOD?: Yes, without approval

Based on the Stern table from 2003

Click here to download this file

Edited by jpsalas, 21 September 2012 - 06:17 PM.

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Where's my medal? tongue.gif

First of all....FANTASTIC. I like the added details and toys! Nice touch!

It played perfect for me, but there are a couple things I'd like to point out. Keep in mind, I play this table at Marvin's (3M) all the time, so I can help tune it to play realistically.

• The plunger needs to be stronger to make the skill shot more difficult.
  • The center ramp is, believe or not, too easy to hit now.
  • I don't know what's different, but I don't remember getting the Path of the Dead when the center ramp shots fall short.

I'll go play it some more this weekend. If I can get some video, I will.

All-in-all, JP, I believe you've outdone even TOTAN on this one. Glad to see you implemented the nudge script. It really makes nudging more realistic...thanks!

AWESOME!

-Noah

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#3 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jun 10 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what's different, but I don't remember getting the Path of the Dead when the center ramp shots fall short.

This CAN happen. The ball falls down the ramp, into the loop, hits Orthanc and goes up to POTD. I've had it happen on the LOTR I played in Florida. It depends if the ramp is bent enough to let the ball through.

The McD

EDIT: HOWEVER, the ball being blocked on the center ramp during modes is not intended behavior.

Edited by TheMcD, 10 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#4 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,026 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

THanks JPSalas,

now i will try your VP9 version of the Best Pinball Ever "The JPSALAS VP8 version".

I have a problem with the rules sheet, i got a black screen after the R key".

Posted Image

#5 gordon

gordon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Pirates of the Caribbean

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Thank you very much for Vp9 Version

nice angel, gameplay, pinball ........ cool.gif

#6 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TWD - LOTR - TSPP - POTC - AFM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

Oh my God!!! What Did you Do with that Table????
Is there anything left from the STERN LOTR??
There is no doubt, this could not beat our Version. I think you release Tables now in a hurry, but you
should spend some more time on Details!

1. First of all the plunger. Easy Plungers now??? Skill Shot on every Plung!
2. Terrible Phsyics. On old EM Machines the Ball creeps like this. The Slope is much to low.
3. Flippersettings are totaly wrong and unrealistic
4. Ok. the Rampthing is a nice Idea, even for my Shadow Table, but the Quality is Terrible. These Black Border around EVERY Graphic
makes a very bad All in All Picture.
5. The Dimensions of many objects are totaly wrong. The Towers are too small, the Ring magnet is too small

I worked 2 Month on OUR Version, and you just throw these Qualitys away for THAT! Not much left from the Original Table. I worked
out a perfect Stern Apron..Now its a flat black apron with wrong Graphics.

Ok, itīs your table, and i think my version will look much better, but you should try to keep more eyes and time on quality. This "One for All"
Backdrop isnīt a really good deal. This make the feeling not so high as a nice "themed" Backdrop, that have something to do with the Table.

Well iīm a little dissapointed on that release, cause like I said, you just throw my Quality away and again using your own thing.

GRONI

My current VPX Tables I am working on:

Attack from Mars/Finished - The Walking Dead Pro/90% - The Lord of the Rings/75% - Family Guy/90% - The Simpsons Pinball Party/15%

#7 gordon

gordon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Pirates of the Caribbean

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (bolt @ Jun 10 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a problem with the rules sheet, i got a black screen after the R key".

Hab es grad rausgefunden. Du must das LOTR_VP9_1.0.jpg bild, was dabei liegt, auch in den Tableordner kopieren.

Copy the LOTR_VP9_1.0.hta and the LOTR_VP9_1.0.jpg in the tablefoulder.

#8 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Terrible Phsyics. On old EM Machines the Ball creeps like this. The Slope is much to low.
GRONI

I always have to wonder about these points. Don't these things differ with every table? For instance, I have never, EVER seen a table in real life that is CLOSE to being as fast as the VP8 LOTR. In my opinion, those slope settings are insane. The two LOTRs I played were very easy on the plunger, had relatively slow slopes and played quite similarly to this table. It differs from table to table because of table condition, the way the table is placed in the room etc. My two cents.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#9 TedB

TedB

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 705 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: those with non virtual steel balls

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Sometimes it matters how you say it.... Just keep criticism friendly. People are spending countless hours on this hobby and should always be treated with that in mind (I'm sure JP will never act like this).

The McD has some valid points also. Not every real live pin plays the same, and I personally don't even mind if a VP table doesn't play exactly as the real one. JP has his own way and method, but is surely not deaf for criticism that is decent and can improve his tables. smile.gif

#10 Liteuser

Liteuser

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TFTC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the VP9 release JP, it's always a pleasure to play your tables. cool.gif

#11 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (TheMcD @ Jun 10 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GRONI

I always have to wonder about these points. Don't these things differ with every table? For instance, I have never, EVER seen a table in real life that is CLOSE to being as fast as the VP8 LOTR. In my opinion, those slope settings are insane. The two LOTRs I played were very easy on the plunger, had relatively slow slopes and played quite similarly to this table. It differs from table to table because of table condition, the way the table is placed in the room etc. My two cents.

The McD

No believe me, it donīt play like this one! Drop off the flippers is not possible, cause the Return Strenght is much to high! The ball brakes to fast. Not enough elasticy. My best friend owns LOTR Machine, and as he played the JPG PIN Version, he said that this is the first Machine that comes close to real. Believe me, i have played this pin i guess a hundret hours, i know every screw and every rubber of that pin

QUOTE (TedB @ Jun 10 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes it matters how you say it.... Just keep criticism friendly. People are spending countless hours on this hobby and should always be treated with that in mind (I'm sure JP will never act like this).

The McD has some valid points also. Not every real live pin plays the same, and I personally don't even mind if a VP table doesn't play exactly as the real one. JP has his own way and method, but is surely not deaf for criticism that is decent and can improve his tables. smile.gif

Iīm just dissapointed that he throw everything i have done away FOR THIS.... Itīs his own thang what he do...And i just tell the truth..this is no critism.
He do great tables and have done very nice improvements that no other has done before, but it donīt mean the he couldnīt can do a Bad Table.
And this is a bad Table! Ok, on the Physicsside everybody have his own mind and feeling...but Graphic Quality is visble and there is nothing you can
discuss about. This is a step back in quality. And just like i said, this is no critism or making bad tables, is just the truth.....

Attack from Mars/Finished - The Walking Dead Pro/90% - The Lord of the Rings/75% - Family Guy/90% - The Simpsons Pinball Party/15%

#12 BiffMan

BiffMan

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my God!!! What Did you Do with that Table????
Well iīm a little dissapointed on that release, cause like I said, you just throw my Quality away and again using your own thing.

GRONI

That's the great thing about being able to make your own version, you can do it how you want. You two obviously have some creative differences that might be best handled via PM. This sort of open hostility in an author's release thread is kinda bad form and isn't really constructive.

I eagerly look forward to your version and your version of Shadow and hope that others are more kind with any criticism in your release thread.

QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And this is a bad Table! Ok, on the Physicsside everybody have his own mind and feeling...but Graphic Quality is visble and there is nothing you can
discuss about. This is a step back in quality. And just like i said, this is no critism or making bad tables, is just the truth.....

Again, release your own version, don't tear his down. I hope when you're a little calmer, you'll see that your comments are somewhat extreme and certainly not appropriate for open discussion in a release thread. "This is a bad table!" is neither constructive or "just the truth"... It's an opinion.

I'm personally happy to see any new version of table and if people enjoy it, they'll play it, and if they don't, they won't.

#13 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (BiffMan @ Jun 10 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...release your own version, don't tear his down. I hope when you're a little calmer, you'll see that your comments are somewhat extreme and certainly not appropriate for open discussion in a release thread. "This is a bad table!" is neither constructive or "just the truth"... It's an opinion.

I'm personally happy to see any new version of table and if people enjoy it, they'll play it, and if they don't, they won't.

I totally agree. It's a shame to have comments like that in ANY thread, let alone a RELEASE thread of someone's hard work and artistic expression.

@ JP - I'm not too adept with VPM scripting, but I need to know...

How the heck do I get your recreations to lighten up on my nudging habit? They tilt pretty easy, and I'd like them to be a little more lenient. The problem seems to be it never resets back to "no nudge".

Thanks again, JP, for a fine release.

-Noah

My Photobucket Resources

#14 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

Everybody have his own mind, and I tell what i think. Maybe hard, but it is like it is......

If someone have a problem with the fact that 2 Month of Work from my side are turning into Garbage isnt a bad thang, then ok.....

It isnīt childish like Destruk called me in the past, itīs just the Fact that iīm totaly angry about that release!

AFM and MM are great JP VP9 Releases, even if i make my version of it, to enhance more Quality and Gameplay. But LOTR was my Baby, and all that
its left from my graphics are some turning into bad quality Balrog and Tower Pics...just a shame..

Sorry for my words but on things like this i cant handle myself...

Things like this turning me into thoughts about never release a table again......

#15 BiffMan

BiffMan

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But LOTR was my Baby, and all that
its left from my graphics are some turning into bad quality Balrog and Tower Pics...just a shame..

Good news is that none of that previous work you did is gone, you can use it to make the table how you think it should be done anytime you want to. Someone else releasing a different version doesn't take away from work you've done previously. Diversity is good and the more the merrier. It's so much better for everyone to put effort into creating new content than tearing down the work of others.

#16 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Ok, sorry for my hard words. Let him do what he wants to do. I even wished that he converts our Version to VP9. But now i have a ( Attention hard words again ) ASS FULL OF WORK...to get a nice new "original" Version. But this is turning me into doing this table from scratch. Even if i feel like never releasing a table again..............

So sorry to JP, i will never make bad any of your releases. Its just a fact and you know that, that we are working very hard and intensive on this Pin, and now i feel a bit like asskicked, that you again do your own thang with this. Gives me the feeling of that you never liked what i did..

So see you maybe with The Shadow..........

GRONI

Edited by GRONI, 10 June 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#17 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (GRONI @ Jun 10 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... i feel a bit like asskicked, that you again do your own thang with this. Gives me the feeling of that you never liked what i did..

Quite the contrary, he praised your work in my interview with him.

My Photobucket Resources

#18 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

What else should he do?! Itīs just like that forum...if you say some negative, youīre da bad guy....Some post a Table with 2 Walls, 2 Flippers and a swummy Graphic, and everybody says "NICE WORK" Only true words make author doing their tables better the next time. Maybe you donīt handle it like this in the USA, but Germans are hard and direct! Thats why maybe Americans donīt like Germans

#19 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,188 posts

Contributor

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

LOL

I like bratwurst, does that count?

I'm honest, and brutal at times, too! I'm going to split this topic, if you don't mind, so if you want to discuss this more, we can. Otherwise, let's keep it on track.

My Photobucket Resources

#20 GRONI

GRONI

Pinball Recreator

• VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

ok smile.gif The only tipp that i wanne give you Juan. Please just take some more time into quality. This will improve the whole Table. My Shadow table is almost done, but iīm still not happy with many graphics sounds etc. So i just release it when i think itīs done.