hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,175 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

It started on November, 18th 2012 with importing the playfield redraw from bodydump and Grizz.

Why does the stupid ROM bugger me about some stupid stage switches? Finally...

Nov.,19th: not much done, just added the apron.

Nov., 20th: added a lot of posts and the first rail according to my whitewood image.

Nov., 23rd: corrected the positions according to the redraw and a new rail arrives.

Nov., 24th: added the corksrew code from Rascal.

December, 22nd: after a long pause (one month) i changed the green tube to a "stovepipe hat"(?!) and added the outlane plastics. Should those eyes move around?

Three weeks later, on January 15th 2013: the plastics arrive on the table. Plus the captured ball area.

Jan., 18th: the first two ramps and the chest arrives.

Jan, 19th: more ramps, better textures and another chest with a perspective better suited for FS tables. Keeping the other one for the desktop conversion later.

Jan, 20th: just two plastics below the outlane plastics. And i removed the default outerwall.

Another three weeks later, February, 11th: darkness... and lights! Blatantly stolen from the old table at first...

... and replaced/enhanced with fadings lights later that day.

Feb., 22th: another plastic, dimmer lightning for the plastics, the transparent areas of the plastics are transparent again, the wand diverter and: the wand.
31.jpg

Feb., 24th: starting the arena.
32.jpg

Feb, 28th: finished the arena and added the cabal (the white orb).
35.jpg

March, 10th: the trunk escape sign arrives
38.jpg

March, 18th: changed the layback settings
39.jpg

March, 23rd: the wand is in a better position and the mech starts working
40.jpg

March, 29th: more plastics and the top flasher arrives.
41.jpg

March, 30th: even more plastics and another flasher.
42.jpg

April, 17th and 18th: left ramp decal and the stage front arrives.
52.jpg

April, 23rd to 25th: some scripting, the ball has now two ways to go from the wand (lock and critics), the flipper still work all the time (or they just go up and down very fast although i hold the flipper button) and the lights of the critics arrive.

May 2nd to 4th: the lights in the captured ball area arrive and the stage now has its diverter and two ways for the ball to go. But the mechanics behind the stage don't work (yet).

May 23rd: no graphical changes. Added some stage technology. At least the basic functionality. The ball can now go to the lift and the table will recognize it. No animation yet. If the ball goes the other way (to the box office bumper), the door opens (by a trigger/timer only) and the game doesn't recognizes it. No idea what to do there. Opto switch 60 doesn't seem to do much. Also: no reply on my request for GI information. I'm quite fed up with this table...

To do: GI, Physics, proper wire ramps, inside of the stage (animation) and the stage diverter technology, corkscrew wire, critics technology and lights, playfield&lights under the captured ball area, adjusting the brightness of the flipper, apron and white rubbers, wand magnet, adjusting how far the stage door opens and much much more.
Bug: why do the flippers always work, even if no game is started or the game is tilted?

In case i stop working on it, here's the current alpha version (public domain, free to change at will):

EDIT: now build 76: http://www.mediafire...dw0huy1949ly84b

Please: no technical support questions about this version.

Edited by hmueck, 25 July 2013 - 08:23 PM.

VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#2 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Wow... looks like this will be a great build. Congratulations, one can only appreciate the amount of work going into such a creation. Thanks for taking this on.

Bug: why do the flippers always work, even if no game is started or the game is tilted?

Don't know what would cause this, perhaps other builders will be able to chime in... but as a similar topic, I often wondered why is it that after tilting a game, on most VP tables the flippers don't work anymore but slingshots, bumpers etc. continue working. This is usually not the case on most real tables. I can only assume it is tedious to also turn off all such other objects and only the flippers get disabled due to this. Is that correct?

Edited by htamas, 18 April 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#3 pinball buzz

pinball buzz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 823 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: TOM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Hmueck for taking this project on, and thanks for sharing your step by step progress, Looking sweet :-)
Pinball Buzz - Builder of pinball cabs since May 2008.

See my cab pictures here

http://www.flickr.co...s/94649948@N00/
[/size][/size]

#4 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,175 posts

Contributor

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

I often wondered why is it that after tilting a game, on most VP tables the flippers don't work anymore but slingshots, bumpers etc. continue working.

The authors of the tables probably forgot to add all those objects to this line of code. When it's properly filled, bumpers, slingshots etc. don't work anymore.

vpmNudge.TiltObj = Array()

VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#5 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,030 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Looks fantastic. Great work hmueck.

Posted Image

#6 Pinhead22

Pinhead22

PinHead

• Silver Supporter
  • 419 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Banzai Run, STTNG, Black Knight 2K, 2001

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Can't wait for this!! This is a great pin. Nice Work!!!

#7 ICPjuggla

ICPjuggla

Early Retirement

• VIP
  • 1,193 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Looks great so far.

It's always fun to see the builds come to life like this in a build thread.. Looking foreword to seeing this one in action.. :-)

cosmicgunfight-sig2.png breakshot-sig-small3.png atlantis-sig-small.png mousinaround-sig6.png hurricane-sig16.png sc-badge1.png lw-sig.png embryon-logo0.png icp-3.png apollo13_badge(1).png whirlwind_badge0.png playboy_badge0.png oxo1.png raven_logo.png rambo_logo4.png

#8 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

This table so badly needs done!  I make sure I play it every year when I go to the PAPA warehouse.  If you want a tester or help with gameplay/physics/details, just let me know.

Edited by rob046, 18 April 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#9 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,075 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yes .. I played this machine for real in The Netherlands a year ago and was surprised with the fact I kept on playing it for a few hours!

Looking really forward to this one and enjoy your 'step-by-step' approach in sharing the great progress of your Project! :)

Cheers,

FD.

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#10 waspstar

waspstar

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 136 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: White Water, Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon and many more

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

This one is sorely needed. Looks very very promising and it is also great to watch your progress all wrapped up in one post.

Very happy that you chose to do Pinball Magic. Keep us informed of your progress :dblthumb:  

#11 RipleYYY

RipleYYY

Belgian do it better !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Lost World

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

own one, i'm also OK for playtesting if needeed

Question: is the wand "left" when it's over the trunk ramp or over the critics?

dont understand your question, but i explain the hand is originally to the left for the trunk, and change to the critics to complete/finish level 1

and sometimes also when you've enable 1 light of the 2 critics (scoring a poor 4M points)

Aliens 2, Area 51, Asterix, Bally Tribute, ET, Evel Knievel, Frontier, Galaxian, Inspector Gadget, Lilo & Stitch, Looney Tunes, Lost World, Mata Hari, Night Mission, Power Play, Rayman, Rolling Stones 2, Stalker, Santa Odyssey, Tempest, Timon & Pumbaa, Williams Tribute, World Cup 2002, Zombie

Tanx to (alphabetical order) : BLACK, CUTTER, DESTRUK, EALA, JP, JOE ENTROPY, KINSEY, KRISTIAN, LOSERMAN, LUVTHATAPEX, RANDY, SCAPINO, SHIVA, STRANGELEO (hope i did not forget someone... )

#12 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

looks good

#13 TedB

TedB

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 705 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: those with non virtual steel balls

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nice work, I think we already had a thread about it a while ago. Seen it on youtube and would love to play it one day. Pretty sure this will be a treat to play with physics/playtesting support from Rob and RipleYYY. 

#14 akiles50000

akiles50000

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Ali

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hmueck awesome all process step by step  a great work.

#15 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,175 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

dont understand your question, but i explain the hand is originally to the left for the trunk, and change to the critics to complete/finish level 1

I just noticed that i understood the "Wand L" and "Wand R" switches wrong. They are for the short ramp on the wand after the magnets. They are not indicating at which position the wand rests. Time to reprogram some stuff... :)

Edited by hmueck, 19 April 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#16 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

This is a real fun table to play. Cant wait to finally play this FS.

#17 RipleYYY

RipleYYY

Belgian do it better !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

I just noticed that i understood the "Wand L" and "Wand R" switches wrong. They are for the short ramp on the wand after the magnets. They are not indicating at which position the wand rests. Time to reprogram some stuff... :)

OK

and also : when hand is on the critics side for the 4M points (than 1 light only, not for the end of level 1), and you light LOCK, the hand move as the LOCK trunk take the advantage of the situation... than when you look the ball, the hand came back to the critics again

but also may be this is linked with the ROM version, i think i got the 1.03, and last must be 1.12 (i have to check, pin is in my sister's house)

and than, about the rom, 2 bugs i've noticed :

doing the hat-skillshot at ball n° 2 scores 500.000 and not 5.000.000

and the above theatre light sequence is wrong, and not corresponding as the points you'll score

Aliens 2, Area 51, Asterix, Bally Tribute, ET, Evel Knievel, Frontier, Galaxian, Inspector Gadget, Lilo & Stitch, Looney Tunes, Lost World, Mata Hari, Night Mission, Power Play, Rayman, Rolling Stones 2, Stalker, Santa Odyssey, Tempest, Timon & Pumbaa, Williams Tribute, World Cup 2002, Zombie

Tanx to (alphabetical order) : BLACK, CUTTER, DESTRUK, EALA, JP, JOE ENTROPY, KINSEY, KRISTIAN, LOSERMAN, LUVTHATAPEX, RANDY, SCAPINO, SHIVA, STRANGELEO (hope i did not forget someone... )

#18 RipleYYY

RipleYYY

Belgian do it better !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

me again, as promise, what we've seen (and i know you still have to do some of them)

* about the door stage : its quite OK as it, lets just say you did it all "too fast and with no break"

here's how it works : you shot ball behind the scene, the ball is stopped on the solenoid, the doors open, the ball is ejected to the bumper

* the down side under the bumper place have a slingshot

* the rom you used is corrupted, it contains AIRBORNE sounds !?

* the hands not working, ball not diverting in it

* critics switches not working

* the inner loop : the right trajectory is perfect, the left one is bad : when arriving at the hat, ball is diverted to the left, and in real its not, ball must come just right, in front of the right slingshot, and finish on the right flipper

* same when exiting the left hole "genie" : the 3 PM i have played, ball is ejected right on the middle of the right flipper, as it you can than try to control it, or let it bump and rebound the left flipper

* sometimes, the captive ball seems to not work "correctly"

* gameplay is a bit too fast

well, this said, must admit that the general feeling of play is very good and close to the real pin

than, dont let this unfinished, i'm sure we're quite a lot guys here waiting for a nice release of PM, and you're on the good way for sure

:)

Edited by RipleYYY, 29 May 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#19 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,175 posts

Contributor

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

@RipleYYY: my answer took an endless amount of time, but here they are. The quote system is too much work on this one, so your text is blue, my is green.

* about the door stage : its quite OK as it, lets just say you did it all "too fast and with no break"

here's how it works : you shot ball behind the scene, the ball is stopped on the solenoid, the doors open, the ball is ejected to the bumper

--delay changed from 100ms to 1000ms.

* the down side under the bumper place have a slingshot

--already there. is it too weak?

* the rom you used is corrupted, it contains AIRBORNE sounds !?

--switched to non-redemption rom again

* the hands not working, ball not diverting in it

--in the wip, the ball can only go left when the hand is left and right when the hand is right. if the hand is moving, both ways are blocked for the ball.

* critics switches not working

--enabled them. but "ball dropping from wand" isn't implemented yet, so it' random which one you hit. BTW: what happends when you hit the upper one - will the lower switch also be hit automatically when the ball rolls down?

* the inner loop : the right trajectory is perfect, the left one is bad : when arriving at the hat, ball is diverted to the left, and in real its not, ball must come just right, in front of the right slingshot, and finish on the right flipper

--ball should end up on the right flipper now

* same when exiting the left hole "genie" : the 3 PM i have played, ball is ejected right on the middle of the right flipper, as it you can than try to control it, or let it bump and rebound the left flipper

--genie now kicks the balls on the right flipper

* sometimes, the captive ball seems to not work "correctly"

--you might need to explain that a bit more.

* gameplay is a bit too fast

--that's because the operator screwed the casters on the back legs all the way out. it has all new rubbers! ;)

The download link in the first post is now updated to build 76.

#20 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Always wanted to play this table, thanks for your WIP, I will play this tonight.  Looking sweet