koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

950 includes some initial work to start getting the code changed over to DX9. No other tweaks or fixes, so I didn't bother updating the main link for it at this time. :)

Daily builds from VP source - currently featuring VPinball 9.2.1 rev908 2/2/14 (click here for Other Daily Builds)

My Scripting Collection

#22 luvthatapex

luvthatapex

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,211 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tron

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Sounds interesting. What are the benefits going with directx9, aside from the fact that its newer.

950 includes some initial work to start getting the code changed over to DX9. No other tweaks or fixes, so I didn't bother updating the main link for it at this time. :)

#23 toxie

toxie

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

That's what we all don't know yet, but fuzzel took the initiative of trying to get the job done..

If at some point it would somehow work, then we could start getting rid of old legacies (i.e. speed boost) and even start adding cool new features (i.e. better image quality)..

But that's all speculation so far, he's just getting started on it, so.. .. (but he knows what he's doing and is a skilled guy :))

#24 rockyrocket

rockyrocket

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 132 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: xenon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Some nice feedback for 445 is that the pi error on BBB is now fixed (for me anyway) on XP64, also now playboy works for the first time since downgrading from win7.

Thanks guys!.

#25 ArcadiusMaximus

ArcadiusMaximus

Quit throwing trash into my dimension !

• Silver Supporter
  • 302 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Dude, Seriously???? :o . This is great news ! Question though, why not go to DX10 or DX11? Is the transition to DX9 a bit easier? Will updating to 9 make it easier for you guys to eventually update to 10,11. etc ?

Also, I just tired the latest build (rev 450) and when ever I hit a captive ball, like in TOTAN or the green ball in CV, it is knocked loose and rolls around the playfield. Imagine my surprise when I was playing CV and the green ball headed towards the flippers haha.

imag0111lz.jpg

~ Mr. John E. Smith III Esq.

#26 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,338 posts

• Favorite Pinball: addams family

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

wow I have to try that in CV.   Really GREAT news trying to update to DX9, no awesome news.

#27 ArcadiusMaximus

ArcadiusMaximus

Quit throwing trash into my dimension !

• Silver Supporter
  • 302 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

wow I have to try that in CV.   Really GREAT news trying to update to DX9, no awesome news.

It was fun for a minute or so flipping the ball around :D

~ Mr. John E. Smith III Esq.

#28 jpsalas

jpsalas

Retired vpm author

• VIP
  • 2,118 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: Any good old EM :)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think destruk mentioned that problem (ball going through walls) when he compiled VP using some SSE compiler options. And if I remember right he had to recompile VP without those SSE options. I think the best is that toxie/koadic ask destruk about this.

My Visual Pinball site, now hosted at my wife's domain :)
http://sofie40.no/jpsalas/

#29 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

All my builds have been compiled with SSE, so if this is the first this has started happening, it might be something else as well. As it works fine in 445 (with sse) I am inclined it has something to do with the updates since then (446-450).

Daily builds from VP source - currently featuring VPinball 9.2.1 rev908 2/2/14 (click here for Other Daily Builds)

My Scripting Collection

#30 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 867 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

So stick with 445 for now? When do you guys plan on officially releasing 9.15?

#31 toxie

toxie

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I guess soon.. I personally would want to love to get the primitive code stabilized, as it still has issues, but then i guess it's mostly good to go..

#32 VampyreLegion

VampyreLegion

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 95 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Too Many

• PS3 Gamer Tag: VampyreLegion
  • 360 Gamer Tag: VampyreLegion

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have the 450 build and can see it looks better... maybe DX9?  not sure.. couple of odd things..

one is Grand Prix table Stern, the ball has a shadow even if shadows are off, but the shadow is square looking too.. odd..

DX9 and higher support is great news!

Pincab Jr. Upright and Full size Pinball cabinet - 40"/29"/15" builds

http://www.vpforums....showtopic=23155

#33 jpsalas

jpsalas

Retired vpm author

• VIP
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I guess soon.. I personally would want to love to get the primitive code stabilized, as it still has issues, but then i guess it's mostly good to go..

Yes, an official 915 will be fine :) The latest revision is much better than the 914. But no rush, take the time you need and when you feel it is stable enough then youmay release it

#34 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,249 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most

• Trophies:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

That will be a BIG step forward for VP. I assume something like that will take a while but will be worth the wait. :D

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

#35 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 797 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: star trek 25th

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

A problem occurred when I changed the ramp from solid to Alpha , the two gates and the wall appear to be under the ramp.

gate1.png

Sometimes the gates don't register the passage of the ball.

Thanks

Max

#36 jpsalas

jpsalas

Retired vpm author

• VIP
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

A problem occurred when I changed the ramp from solid to Alpha , the two gates and the wall appear to be under the ramp.

Thanks

Max

That's has been present since the first VP with alpha ramps. The alpha ramps must be redrawn on top of everything. If not things under the ramp will disappear.

The gates only register a hit from time time, they are not reliable. Use a trigger under to register the hit. I guess we all do it this way :) But the gate hit is registered nearly always on the side which blocks the ball, so I use to add a nice "pliing" sound.

#37 jack0623

jack0623

Hobbyist

• Gold Supporter
  • 13 posts

• Favorite Pinball: addams family

• 360 Gamer Tag: realnuckinfuts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Not sure if this is similar to an issue that was reported above, but when using the Rev450 version and playing JP's Ripley's Believe it or Not, the multiball collisions are acting weird where the balls seem to disappear and then come back.  At times even seeming to go through the flippers.  Just thought I'd mention it.   I installed the new version to try the Star Wars Trilogy table.  Nice work J.P.

(Edit).. Actually the same thing just happened when playing the Star Wars Trlilogy machine with this version.  The balls collided and one just ended up stopped and stayed static beyond the lower part of the playable part of the playfield.

I also want to thank all of you guys for working on the VP versions and the tables!  You all do amazing work!  

I wish I had more time to learn how to build some tables myself.   I thought my girlfriend was going to kill me spending all the time building my cabinet!  The good thing is she is hooked on Pinball so maybe one day I'll get some time..  :)

Again Thanks!!

Edited by jack0623, 23 February 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#38 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Just stick with rev445 for now...

My Scripting Collection

#39 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 797 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: star trek 25th

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Thanks

Max

That's has been present since the first VP with alpha ramps. The alpha ramps must be redrawn on top of everything. If not things under the ramp will disappear.

The gates only register a hit from time time, they are not reliable. Use a trigger under to register the hit. I guess we all do it this way :) But the gate hit is registered nearly always on the side which blocks the ball, so I use to add a nice "pliing" sound.

Yes ,these are old things we know.
Lately they have been cited similar problems and I wanted to remember these.
I do not want to put pressure on the development team, first of all, have fun.
When I am in front of the translator, my brain gets stuck, I can not explain well what I mean, sorry for this (Never apologize is a sign of weakness :D) .

Thanks

Max

#40 tipoto

tipoto

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira and the Party Monsters ; Terminator 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

So I did some tests to check the EMreels behavior and it seems that it's even worse than in VP914 actually.

Now I don't understand the way it works, there is no logical at all. We have to cheat even more than before and in both directions now! Sometimes we have to shift the textures 1 pixel toward the top, sometimes toward the bottom and sometime some textures work like they should work (without any cheat).

Basically, I have about 75% of my textures in T2 Chrome that need to be modified, and it's not just shifting the textures, it's like a huge puzzle where I have to copy one line from this texture + one line from another texture and paste them both into another texture, after having shifted it of course... And most of my textures are reel textures (animation)!

I'm gonna fix the table because now that I started some textures and that I'm on it, I will finish the work, but I think that if it happens again in the next version of VP (916), I won't have the energy to do it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users