Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: not sure

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys,

So I have a sidewinder that I have hooked up for nudging...the good news is that it works, the bad news is that it doesn't work well.  It seems that when the ball is going straight to the drain, whipping the machine left or right(it's a mini pin on a table-no legs) doesn't have any or little effect.  

Looking in visual pinball's options, there's alot that can be modified which I assume can help, but I'm not sure what the options do.  The only one I do know is, "dead zone".  I think I have mine set to 9% at the moment.

Can anyone quickly breakdown these options?  Or maybe tell me which options would make the ball more more left/right when nudged?

-Nudge force

-Rotation

-Gain

-checkbox for reverse axis

-Tilt Sensivity

Thanks so much!

#2 MTPPC

MTPPC

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Mata Hari .directB2S

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Bump for the exact same questions.

#3 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• Favorite Pinball: i played Timezone, quickdraw, triple action, frontier and a few more

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

ok nobody responded.....just my opinion......

VP(non pinmame)......tilt/nudge is in the script......you can change the direction and strength of the nudge.....EX: left nudge 90, 2....this means the direction of the left nudge is 90degrees and nudge strength of 2....i changed left nudge to 45, 1......Rnudge 315, 1.....if you want less nudge use 0.9 for strength

pinmame......tilt/nudge direction and strength is in the vbsscripts......use core.....right click on core in your VP script folder.....then edit and use notepad to open,,,,,,,for sensetivity i use the script......

use the edit search in to find "ssensitivity", kickers, imp plunger etc.....open the script window.....click on edit at the top left......in the sub menu click on "fiind".....type what you are looking for in the box.....for 'sensitivity" type 'sens" then next or enter....for kickers type the name like "kicker1".....

for rotation use the 91x backdrop scales....dont use the NVidia or other GFX card control panel.......

DL the 91x user guide.....it will help you get started.

Edited by chas, 23 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#4 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

why would anyone need to change any of these settings?

most pins are set up by their builders

but be careful using nudge force or else the pin may tilt too easily

give that the  pin tilts at all

and as for rotation there are pins being made for rotated monitors

the FS ones are rotated already for the cab users

but thanks for those specs!

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs

#5 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• Favorite Pinball: i played Timezone, quickdraw, triple action, frontier and a few more

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

why would anyone need to change any of these settings?

most pins are set up by their builders

but be careful using nudge force or else the pin may tilt too easily

give that the  pin tilts at all

and as for rotation there are pins being made for rotated monitors

the FS ones are rotated already for the cab users

but thanks for those specs!

umm faralos......i played real EM PB and Frontier at my local bowling alley when it had PB..... i think Frontier was SS(solid state).....there were about 7 or 8 machines.....the ones i remember playing are in my sig at the left....

the default tilt/nudge settings in VP or pinmame are not correct.....ill just use Lnudge........EX.....default Lnudge in VP and pinmame scripts is 45, 2......45 is to the right....with force of 2 you would need to kick the table pretty hard to get that .....when i played real PB i would bump the front of the cabinet and bump the corners.....the tilt/nudge for center bump seems to be backwards.......it should be 0 instead of 180....to get a front nudge a setting of 180, 1 or 1.1  is more real.....for a Lnudge 45, 1 and Rnudge of 315, 1 is more real because i was bumping the corners......with a setting of 45 for L/nudge you would need to bump the sides of the cab....force of 2 is a hard kick.....

>>>>>>>but be careful using nudge force or else the pin may tilt too easily>>>>>>>>faralos, wtf, tilt sensitivity for VP and pinmame is in the script,,,,,45,2 and 270, 2  just nudges with direction and strength......has nothing to do with the disqualify tilt loss of the ball in play.......tilt interval and tilt_timers in the script does that.....some VP tables might be a little different with tilt threshold=5......i would type "tilt" in the script edit search then use "enter" to search the entire script...

try a setting of L/nudge of 45, 1 or 0,9 and R/nudge of 315, 1 or 0.9 and center bump on 180, 1.1 to 1.25  in VP or pinmame.......this is more real.......45, 2 and 270, 2 is not correct for the direction and strength......force of 2 is way too much....its like kicking the table....thats why...

Edited by chas, 25 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#6 MTPPC

MTPPC

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Are you guys using analog nudging when you are making all these table adjustments? I just set up my sidewinder and it seems to work pretty good on the 8 or 9 tables I've tried with it. What am I missing? I've modified no tables and have my settings as so:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "light nudge" and 10 being "I'm afraid I'm breaking off the legs" - Windows Calibration 3.5 (light to moderate)

In VP

X-Gain 400%

Y-Gain 300%

Y Axis - Reverse Axis Checked (for greater authenticity)

Dead Zone 30%

Tilt Sensitivity 765 (it seems I should raise this a little more).

#7 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Are you guys using analog nudging when you are making all these table adjustments? I just set up my sidewinder and it seems to work pretty good on the 8 or 9 tables I've tried with it. What am I missing? I've modified no tables and have my settings as so:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "light nudge" and 10 being "I'm afraid I'm breaking off the legs" - Windows Calibration 3.5 (light to moderate)

In VP

X-Gain 400%

Y-Gain 300%

Y Axis - Reverse Axis Checked (for greater authenticity)

Dead Zone 30%

Tilt Sensitivity 765 (it seems I should raise this a little more)

maybe i missed something.....could you explain why you use xgain, ygain, yaxis and deadzone for tilt/nudge?

#8 MTPPC

MTPPC

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

The higher the gain, the less you have to push the machine around.

Reversing the y-axis makes the ball come down when you nudge up/

The dead zone makes it so you don't get a nudge every time you touch the cabinet.

By finding the right combination of these values for your calibration, you can get a fairly accurate representation of physical nudging.

Remember, since this is analog nudge, the ball's movement is somewhat proportional to how hard you push the machine. Raising the tilt sensitivity number makes it easier to tilt.

#9 chas

chas

Pinball Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

The higher the gain, the less you have to push the machine around.

Reversing the y-axis makes the ball come down when you nudge up/

The dead zone makes it so you don't get a nudge every time you touch the cabinet.

By finding the right combination of these values for your calibration, you can get a fairly accurate representation of physical nudging.

Remember, since this is analog nudge, the ball's movement is somewhat proportional to how hard you push the machine. Raising the tilt sensitivity number makes it easier to tilt.

Thanks.....i have not spent as much time on this like some of you and no cab.....im still on 1 monitor using a USB KeyBoard.....i flip the WS monitor on its side and play FS with a USB keyboard..... are you talking about using the above gains in a full cab with a VitruaPin ipac?....ill try it.....does it work on a basic 1 monitor with a KB?

Edited by chas, 29 June 2013 - 05:56 AM.