• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars/T2 Chrome

• PS3 Gamer Tag: JamieJC666
  • 360 Gamer Tag: JamieJC666

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi sorry if this is the wrong forum....

I have a pinball wizard controller and am trying to set it up. Have gone into game controllers, clicked on the set up of the pinball wizard controller and done all the calibrations as stated on the set up guide which I found online.

After trying to nudge the machine and do all that it asks the I just cant seem to get it right so I have a nice nudge function. The ball seems to pull one way or the other on the machine.

If anyone can help wetting this up that would be great.

Thanks

Jamie

Just a quick update, after ages messing around with the calibration settings where you have to shake the machine I have found that shaking the machine with alot of force seems to make the settings more accurate as the dead zone is now less all over the place. When playing the table after the calibration is the best that I can get it I do find however that the ball seems to pull to the left. The physics are perfect when I calibrate to "default settings" but the problem with that is that you are not able to nudge.

So I either need help to calibrate perfectly or play with perfect physics and no nudge functionality.........

Edited by JamieJC666, 31 May 2012 - 08:17 PM.

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#2 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

You need to mess around with the gain and deadzone settings. If you are using the standard version of VPinball, then they are in the Table options under Physics.
If you happen to be using one of my custom builds, all that is available in the Preferences->Keys menu. You can adjust the Up/Down and Left/Right gain levels seperately, and also allows for setting the 'Tilt Sensitivity' to bring it back inline with how it operates when the gain level is set lower.

Increase the Accelerometer Gain to get more response when moving the ball, and increase the Dead Zone to keep the ball from listing to the left or right when it is supposedly 'level'.

#3 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to mess around with the gain and deadzone settings. If you are using the standard version of VPinball, then they are in the Table options under Physics.
If you happen to be using one of my custom builds, all that is available in the Preferences->Keys menu. You can adjust the Up/Down and Left/Right gain levels seperately, and also allows for setting the 'Tilt Sensitivity' to bring it back inline with how it operates when the gain level is set lower.

Increase the Accelerometer Gain to get more response when moving the ball, and increase the Dead Zone to keep the ball from listing to the left or right when it is supposedly 'level'.

Thank you mate ill have a play around and see how I get on. Cheers for your help!

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#4 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (JamieJC666 @ Jun 1 2012, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 04:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you mate ill have a play around and see how I get on. Cheers for your help!

I have been messing around with this for hours, reading other peoples posts and just cant seem to find the right settings, such a shame its seems like a complete nightmare to get this thing right.
My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#5 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ok, first things first, lets make sure we are on the same page...

http://www.mediafire...44cvxvbddxb9ejr - Build 7 of my custom compile with additional gamepad support.

Just extract it to your Visual Pinball folder and run instead of the default one.

To increase the nudge sensitivity, go to the Preferences>Keys menu. On the right are some analog settings. Try increasing the gain settings in about 100% increments... and lets start off with about 300%. You shouldn't need to with any of the other settings for the time being.

Open a table for testing, a new blank table will work just fine. Test out the nudge sensitivity, if it isn't sensitive enough, increase the gain settings even more. You will have to exit and close the table each time you do this, as VP won't read the new gain settings until a new table is opened.

As soon as you get to the point where the nudge is acting like you think it should, if the ball is rolling around on its own, try increasing the dead zone (same menu) in increments of 5 until it stops.

Now you may have notices some of the other settings in the 'Global Options' section. These are all options that can be set per table, and setting them here and/or checking the box will override any unwanted stray settings that may have crept in before the table was released. I have yet to come across anything like this, but with these settings, it won't matter. Now, depending on how high you needed to jack up the gain settings, you may find that when nudging the game won't tilt anymore (or takes a lot of nudging to do so). To fix this, you will need adjust the 'Tilt Sensitivity' from it's default 400 setting. It can range from 0-1000 with 0 turning off tilt completely and 1000 tilting at just the slightest touch. To test the settings, you will have to do the same as when adjusting the gain levels, making sure you close the table you have open and reload it. If you don't have a table open, then you will be fine.

Start off with that and if you have any further issues, I will try and help.

#6 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.mediafire...44cvxvbddxb9ejr - Build 7 of my custom compile with additional gamepad support.

Just extract it to your Visual Pinball folder and run instead of the default one.

To increase the nudge sensitivity, go to the Preferences>Keys menu. On the right are some analog settings. Try increasing the gain settings in about 100% increments... and lets start off with about 300%. You shouldn't need to with any of the other settings for the time being.

Open a table for testing, a new blank table will work just fine. Test out the nudge sensitivity, if it isn't sensitive enough, increase the gain settings even more. You will have to exit and close the table each time you do this, as VP won't read the new gain settings until a new table is opened.

As soon as you get to the point where the nudge is acting like you think it should, if the ball is rolling around on its own, try increasing the dead zone (same menu) in increments of 5 until it stops.

Now you may have notices some of the other settings in the 'Global Options' section. These are all options that can be set per table, and setting them here and/or checking the box will override any unwanted stray settings that may have crept in before the table was released. I have yet to come across anything like this, but with these settings, it won't matter. Now, depending on how high you needed to jack up the gain settings, you may find that when nudging the game won't tilt anymore (or takes a lot of nudging to do so). To fix this, you will need adjust the 'Tilt Sensitivity' from it's default 400 setting. It can range from 0-1000 with 0 turning off tilt completely and 1000 tilting at just the slightest touch. To test the settings, you will have to do the same as when adjusting the gain levels, making sure you close the table you have open and reload it. If you don't have a table open, then you will be fine.

Thank you mate thats a great help, I have it set to 300 and the tilt to around 650 and that gives me enough play with the ball to nudge it as well as a real feel of tilting the cab too much thanks so much!

One problem is that when I do nudge the ball movement does not feel like its behaving like the real thing its all over the place. Im sure this is to do with the pinball wizard set up so if you have any tips regarding the setting up of that within windows game controllers that would be great.

Thanks again

Jamie

Edited by JamieJC666, 01 June 2012 - 12:00 PM.

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#7 lbhswans

lbhswans

Neophyte

• Platinum Supporter
  • 5 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Last Action Hero, Cue Ball Wizard, Kiss, Indiana Jones

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your custom VP saved me a lot of time and effort, thanks koadic, much appreciated. otvclap.gif

#8 lbhswans

lbhswans

Neophyte

• Platinum Supporter
  • 5 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Last Action Hero, Cue Ball Wizard, Kiss, Indiana Jones

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 1 2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing I have noticed (which I'd like you to test/confirm) is that when I load and play the new VP table "STTNG FS B2S" using your custom VP exe, the table freezes and returns a "out of memory" error message. This error does not occur with the standard VP 912 exe. Once the error has occurred the user needs to restore to the original VP 912 exe and restore/remove the VP autosave files.

#9 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (lbhswans @ Jun 5 2012, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I have noticed (which I'd like you to test/confirm) is that when I load and play the new VP table "STTNG FS B2S" using your custom VP exe, the table freezes and returns a "out of memory" error message. This error does not occur with the standard VP 912 exe. Once the error has occurred the user needs to restore to the original VP 912 exe and restore/remove the VP autosave files.

Ok, I tried with an unaltered version of build7 (I usually use a 4GB patched version for x64) and loaded up STTNG B2S, but didn't get any errors at all... Granted, there is a lot of stuff in the build that I didn't put there, as it was the most current code up to present and could include some unknown bugs, but nothing I added should cause any such issues, as all my stuff was just mainly adding basic GUI stuff.

Regardless, unless you are using my newer build to assign specific gamepad buttons/axes, all the other settings will stick when using a standard version of VP 9.12, as they are all currently available through the use of registry entries, and all I did was give them a place in the settings menu.

#10 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Any help on the actual config of the mot ion plunger? I can nudge ect but when I do so the ball does not seem to react in a realistic way. Does anyone have any tips of how to move the cabnet when setting up the nudge in the game controllers tab of windows?

Thanks
My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#11 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (JamieJC666 @ Jun 6 2012, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can nudge ect but when I do so the ball does not seem to react in a realistic way.

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by this? What is it that it's doing when you nudge, and what is it that you expect to happen?

#12 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 6 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JamieJC666 @ Jun 6 2012, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can nudge ect but when I do so the ball does not seem to react in a realistic way.

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by this? What is it that it's doing when you nudge, and what is it that you expect to happen?

Like on a real pinball machine if you nudge the cab a certain way the ball moves a certain way. The ball doesnt seem to react to the correct force direction that I put on the machine if that makes sence.

An example of this is if I move the machine in a horizontal way so should the ball and likewise for vertical movements. What im trying to say is that the ball is not reacting correctly to the physical input that im putting on the cab to nudge.

Just wondered if there is a technique to use when setting up the nudge function in the pinball wizard windows set up?

On a positive note mate I finally got UVP to work lol.....all apart from Lethal Weapon 3 which gives me a error.

Edited by JamieJC666, 06 June 2012 - 02:02 PM.

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#13 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Ok, the fix depends on how the nanotech board is installed in your cab...

If nudge is only working correctly one way, like forward or left/right, then try (un)checking the Normal Mounting box in the Options for the Table>Physics section to see if that helps. If everything is then reversed, then you should put 180 in the Mount Rotation box. If using my custom build, these can be set globally in the Keys menu.

Edit: oh, and I responded in the other thread about your LW3 error too smile.gif

Edited by koadic, 06 June 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#14 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 6 2012, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, the fix depends on how the nanotech board is installed in your cab...

If nudge is only working correctly one way, like forward or left/right, then try (un)checking the Normal Mounting box in the Options for the Table>Physics section to see if that helps. If everything is then reversed, then you should put 180 in the Mount Rotation box. If using my custom build, these can be set globally in the Keys menu.

Edit: oh, and I responded in the other thread about your LW3 error too smile.gif

Thanks mate. Seems better but the ball mover left and right when I move the cab up and doen thats why im guessing its something to do with the set up wizard.
My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#15 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

You can always change the rotation to 90 or 270, but it would help to know how the nanotech board is mounted in your cab to give you definite answers.

#16 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 6 2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can always change the rotation to 90 or 270, but it would help to know how the nanotech board is mounted in your cab to give you definite answers.

Here is a pic, its mounted on top of the pc case as if your looking through the coin door.

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#17 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ok, if I am seeing correctly, it matches the image below...

In which case, you want the 'Normal Mounting' box checked, since all the connections are on the top instead of upside down, and the 'Mounting Rotation' set to 270, as it is rotated clockwise 270 degrees from the standard orientation, which is the usb port facing towards the back of the cab.

#18 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 6 2012, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, if I am seeing correctly, it matches the image below...

In which case, you want the 'Normal Mounting' box checked, since all the connections are on the top instead of upside down, and the 'Mounting Rotation' set to 270, as it is rotated clockwise 270 degrees from the standard orientation, which is the usb port facing towards the back of the cab.

Yeah your looking at it correctly mate.

Whats the best way to shake the cab to get the best results on the config within windows game controllers?
My HyperPin Cab and GT-R

#19 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

The 'best' way is to remove the board after the first centering calibration, shake/rotate it, and replace in the exact same position for the second centering calibration. On my cab, this is done with it attached to a piece of wood that locks into position.

Otherwise, all you can do is nudge the hell out of it.

Add: HERE is a link to the literature that comes with the board

Edited by koadic, 06 June 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#20 JamieJC666

JamieJC666

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Jun 6 2012, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 'best' way is to remove the board after the first centering calibration, shake/rotate it, and replace in the exact same position for the second centering calibration. On my cab, this is done with it attached to a piece of wood that locks into position.

Otherwise, all you can do is nudge the hell out of it.

Add: HERE is a link to the literature that comes with the board

The way the cab was built looks like a bit of a nightmare to remove the board mate.

I find the best way to configure is just to shake the machine quite alot in circles and that gives me a reading where the + after configuration in the box is kinda still if you know what I mean. It still seems a bit off with the direction the ball moves in relation to the actual nudging but to be honest as long as I move the machine and the ball reacts somehow im happy.

My HyperPin Cab and GT-R