Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Well, after a long spell being out of it, I'm planning to get back into video pinball.

Just wanted to post up and say hello to all my friends on the forum.

I won't be starting for a couple of months, but just saying hello and what-not.

#2 Bob5453

Bob5453

I'm taking a nap

• VIP
  • 3,896 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair

• Trophies:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Ahigh @ Dec 16 2011, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, after a long spell being out of it, I'm planning to get back into video pinball.

Cool. I don't know if you know, but VP is now Open Source, but we have a hard time finding people who know enough to work on the source.

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.

#3 Itchigo

Itchigo

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All

• Trophies:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Happy first post!! I've only been here almost 2 years and things have changed a lot since I started!! otvclap.gif

Founder of Rogue Pinball! https://roguepinball.com/index.php                 Making Pinball great again!!

partylikeits1776-.jpg

#4 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

back into video pinball how? like Bob5453 said or just playing?
or building pins? hey any way is cool though, glad to have ya' aboard! hi.gif

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs

#5 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most

• Trophies:

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

Welcome aboard! biggrin.gif

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

#6 WWE

WWE

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Williams Indiana Jones,T2 Judgment Day,Teenage Mutanten Ninja Turtles,WWE Royal Rumble Flipper,Medieval Madness, Metallica, AC/DC, Spiderman WWE Wrestlemania for Stern, Batman 66, Pirates of the Caribbean,Monsterbush,

• PS3 Gamer Tag: PS4 Weekend

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

Willkommen bei uns auf VPForums. hi.gif

Sven

30041117ij.jpg

#7 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the support guys. I don't know what I'm going to be doing yet. I just know that I'm back in so to speak.

If anybody else has ideas for what would be cool, post them up.

I'm excited about the new 55" OLED displays I just saw at CES.

#8 Arcade4

Arcade4

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Ahigh @ Jan 13 2012, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the support guys. I don't know what I'm going to be doing yet. I just know that I'm back in so to speak.

If anybody else has ideas for what would be cool, post them up.

I'm excited about the new 55" OLED displays I just saw at CES.

I am excited about the OLED's as well. But not really until they are mass produced at today's LED prices. smile.gif

#9 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Software development always precedes hardware availability. The thing that is critical is that presentation in the future is indeed a reality. The fact that things are not affordable and/or available at the moment is just a temporary condition. I've been doing professional video game development now for over 25 years, and it's always the case that you do development with what is generally crippled systems compared to the final delivery mechanism. But I am truly excited about the final end product on a display that can actually reproduce pinball gameplay far more faithfully than anything that is currently available.

We had this for a short while with UltraPin before the LCD was put into the development cabinet. So I know first hand how awesome it can be. But not many people were able to play the game this way to understand this. The OLED and other new display technologies are going to marry the best of LCD and CRT technologies and go the step further with higher image quality to boot.

#10 Tomcat Leader

Tomcat Leader

Back in Sac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

• Flag: Ireland

• Favorite Pinball: F-14 Tomcat

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

I believe I remember you from the old VPF, if I'm not mistaken. Welcome to the new forum!
‎"Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. And you cannot turn away. Your destiny is bound with the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors." - Andrew Boyd

#11 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, for those who don't remember, I did work with a lot of you guys, but I was the original lead programmer on UltraPin. I left UltraCade in March 2006 to work for another game company. I should stress that I have no idea where things are going for me at this point including what, if anything, I will be able to contribute to the forum. But I do want to reunite with all of you guys and see where things are these days. I will be building an LCD cabinet to play at home with the idea that I'll swap out the LCD for an OLED as soon as they are available.

I live in Las Vegas, now. My life is quite different. I am anxious to catch up with all of you guys, and thanks for the warm welcome!

#12 yogiholzer

yogiholzer

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,870 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: All.

Contributor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi Ahigh! biggrin.gif

Welcome back.
Click the picture frame to visit the pinball people gallery.

#13 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hey, guys.  Just wanted to poke back in and say I'm still moving forwards, just a little more slowly than I expected.

#14 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

So to announce here, I was hired a few weeks ago to work on video pinball again.  My work with IGT is over, and I am now a game programmer once again and no longer out of production (I was doing pure research before focusing on display technology).

I am still off to a bit of a slow process, but I have talked a little bit with destruk, and a little bit with a couple of others that I worked with on UltraPin.  I am just getting back to the point where I am telling folks that I am back.  This is a community and not a one-man show.  So it will take some time to get adjusted with where things are for me as I have been out of the loop for some time.

But given that the display technology is both what I have been focusing on for the last few years I have been focusing on some of the aspects related to the display and also physically setting up computers and networks and that sort of thing over the holiday season.

I have learned a lot in the years since I stopped pursing video pinball due to the failure to have a proper display to do the game justice in my view.  I no longer have any excuse, however, and I am back to see if I was right that video pinball is merely being held back by display technology.

My short term solution until something better arrives is the Sony sets using motionflow impulse.  I have not seen it myself, but I'm hopeful based on reports that I can play it without puking.  I'm not playing until I get the right display.  I did do some 120hz play on the Seiki 50" without puking after an hour of play.  But at 60Hz, I almost puked.

I'm very hopeful that all video games are going to be enhanced with what is finally a display industry waking up to the fact that LCD screen manufacturers have been ignorant of the needs that video games have that are unique compared to the movie industry.

It's a marathon not a race.  I'm just glad that the break is over because the sidelines (working for IGT in a job where my software has gone no further than a few feet from my desk) have frankly been pretty damn boring.  But my research into display technology, I feel, has had some impact, and that's what was needed.  It just took too damn long!

#15 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hi there ! Welcome back here, i'm still a bit new here so don't know a whole lot about the 'old' :db:  times but it seems you've been there !  :otvclap:

Anyhew, unless we get some new interface between Gpu and the display controller we always will have micro stutter. unfortunately something

like NVidia's G-Sync will not be available in a TV format. I am hoping on some third party 'clone' in a separate form factor, i'll buy something along

those lines in a blink of an eye !

Regarding O-Led, the wait is on ! Though the current 55' is too big for pinball inmho, i find 39'/42' just right. 

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#16 Ahigh

Ahigh

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Well, it's good to be back anyway.  Just getting started again.

#17 ienconor0

ienconor0

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:54 PM

Taking your time to ease back into it is a wise approach. It gives you the opportunity to catch up with the latest developments, updates, and projects within the video pinball community. It's also a chance to refresh your knowledge and skills before jumping into new projects.

Whether you're building, playing, or discussing video pinball, I hope you have a fantastic time, check and hire ai ml developers. The pinball community is a supportive and creative group, so don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or if there's anything you want to share.

Best of luck with your future endeavors in video pinball, and welcome back once again! Enjoy the journey ahead!

Edited by ienconor0, 03 August 2023 - 11:14 AM.

#18 jino0372

jino0372

Ordinary Average Guy

• Platinum Supporter
  • 237 posts

• Favorite Pinball: CFTBL, Haunted House, Any Bally from the '80's, All EM machines

Posted 29 July 2023 - 06:49 PM

Welcome to the forum!

You do know that you are responding to a post from 2011? 

Check out my website for any latest updates or information on current builds that I am working on.

077b59_220a28a7f1c8449998b6a25f36fd5f47~