ludovids

Enthusiast

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR IJ MM TAF Tommy TOTAN TZ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

... I found the community a plugin that converts a table.fpt to table.obj, and my code in Unity converts this table to "playable" ... is at an early stage, but I have some good results. And it works on Android Tablet's ... :)

I am interested in the plugin you mentioned. How can I learn more about it? I am looking at improving fp-dump (part of the fp-addons-sdk) to extract more information from an FP table. Maybe using this plugin would be a better way to do it?

ASRock Z270M Extreme4, i5-7600K, 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3200, EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC

Samsung 850 EVO M.2, Samsung UN40JU7100 4K playfield, Samsung SynchMaster 2232 backglass, Pinscape on VirtuaPin Plunger Kit v3

#1022 Guus

Guus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: VPX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

That is great to hear BilboX, thanks!

I have a feeling that this project is going to beat VP and FP. (i hope that I am allowed to say this on the "VP forums" haha) It looks that promising, in my opinion.

Full rom support, great graphics with the best lighting that 3d pinball has ever seen, cab view+dmd on the same screen, and great physics(most important part to focus on imo), what do we want more?

#1023 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

At the moment the physics reminds me more of FP than VP. But thank god this can be adjusted as well. I think PinballFX2 has a very very good ball movement (the other table settings are horrible there). But it's certainly too soon to say something about that in Unity 3D, let's hope to be able to test something on my cab soon to receive an impression...

#1024 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

>> be carefull with FP timers because all your tests does rely on this, am I wrong? (did not read the script, sorry)
Yes, absolutetly.  I recognize the timer limitation (although I am not sure exactly what the granularity is).  I have another implementation which has a series of triggers in a line down the area above the flipper.  I have uploaded that one (v0.1.2).  It can run in either mode.  The discrete triggers have their own restrictions.

>>What, in your opinion, should be the "real" result of this test? Each target hit in circular way?
The point was to see if triggering the flipper under the same conditions produces the same result.  It appears it does.
Secondly, triggering the flipper with the ball farther down the flipper, under otherwise similar conditions, should send the ball in a trajectory further toward the side.  It appears that it 'mostly' does; but produces bizarre results at various points as well.

https://www.dropbox....rTest_v0.1.2.7z

>>best way to give credits to this would be a "ground truth" test, meaning doing it in real pinball

I can rig something up and provide a video.

>>We can convert the table, no problem. However, the script will have to be rewritten in C# for PU3D

I don't want to distract you too much, from your great work.  If there is a way for me to do the port I am more than willing to do that.

It is very important to be able to control the ball.  I saw your video on dead ball catch, and drop stop catch, etc.  This is KEY to controlling the ball - great job on that work.  But in addition to that kind of ball control, is the ability to reliably hit shots.  With the random trajectories I have witnessed, a player's ability to control the ball is very limited.

ultradmd_splash.png

#1025 BilboX

BilboX

Enthusiast

• Unit3D Pinball Team
  • 433 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica, Addams Familly, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

That is great to hear BilboX, thanks!

I have a feeling that this project is going to beat VP and FP. (i hope that I am allowed to say this on the "VP forums" haha) It looks that promising, in my opinion.

Full rom support, great graphics with the best lighting that 3d pinball has ever seen, cab view+dmd on the same screen, and great physics(most important part to focus on imo), what do we want more?

Really, thank you. But IMO, wait to try it before :). First, I think that lightning in the new Timeshock are amazing: we can't compete with precomputed lightings.

Two, we are not really optimizing it: I run it on a I7 4 cores at 3.5GHz and, most important I think, a GeForce GTX 680. I am really afraid that guys with old PC will be disapointed, as I tried it on an old laptop, 2 cores with integrated old GeForce and there was no way it could handle PU3D. We try to give as many options as we can, but it will have limitations... The demo release will give us, with your returns, the mini/recommanded configurations...

UltraPeepi: I tried the new version on FP. i think it proved quite well that the simulation is not randomized is some kind of way, at least on my PC. This is a good point. However, the reachable range was indeed a little bit poor.

I think that if a real player is able to reach a high target number, then the simulation is ok. But also remember that, IMO, direct shoot from flipper lane incoming ball is not the most precise and wide-range shot ever. I think that players can reach any of these targets, even in FP, but controlling the ball before: everything is about control, you are right....

Script conversion should not take long, I'll give it a try, if you let me do it, if I find some time to do it. If not, you may have to wait for the release to script it yourself ;).

Edited by BilboX, 29 September 2013 - 10:46 AM.

UP2

#1026 Argo

Argo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Jurassic Park

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I wish better support for 16:10 resolutions (like 1920x1200) if possibile, because Pinball is a "vertical game" and will look less "compressed" with a 16:10 monitor

#1027 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for trying the test BilboX.

ultradmd_splash.png

#1028 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I hope an i5 2500k with GTX660 will be enough!

#1029 Guus

Guus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: VPX

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

I understand and agree, but Timeshock! is not a "real 3d pinball game" IMO. Because everything is pre-rendered. So I did not count Timeshock! for that reason. But I have to agree that Timeshock! has even more advanced lighting.

Besides that Timeshock! is an amazing table(one of my favorite), but it's only one table.

PC Pinball is not the most expansive hobby, so high system requirements are a problem IMO. And this will be solved by time, in a few year everybody that wants a fast PC buys a fast PC. (because hardware that is expansive today will be cheap in 2 years time)

But I think/hope that my Haswell i5 + 760GTX could run PU3D with high FPS.

Everything looks perfect! Just focus on perfect physics and everyone will be amazed for sure :)

#1030 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

The beautiful thing about most motherboards that support i3, support i5 and i7.  I have a MAME machine with an i3 and I need an i5 to run the Dolphin emulator (Wii emulator).  I checked my motherboard capability and I can just swap the i3 for an i5 or i7.  Don't take my word for it, however.  Check the documentation for your motherboard.

ultradmd_splash.png

#1031 BilboX

BilboX

Enthusiast

• Unit3D Pinball Team
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

I hope an i5 2500k with GTX660 will be enough!

I think it will ran, though maybe not full options on... Just an example: I can't activate continuous collison on flippers without signification performance loss!

We will optimize later, but we are also limited by Unity performances!

I understand and agree, but Timeshock! is not a "real 3d pinball game" IMO. Because everything is pre-rendered. So I did not count Timeshock! for that reason. But I have to agree that Timeshock! has even more advanced lighting.

Besides that Timeshock! is an amazing table(one of my favorite), but it's only one table.

PC Pinball is not the most expansive hobby, so high system requirements are a problem IMO. And this will be solved by time, in a few year everybody that wants a fast PC buys a fast PC. (because hardware that is expansive today will be cheap in 2 years time)

But I think/hope that my Haswell i5 + 760GTX could run PU3D with high FPS.

Everything looks perfect! Just focus on perfect physics and everyone will be amazed for sure :)

Right, not 3D simulation of course. But awesome simulation, my guess. If you start making cab, this can become expensive...

For performance issues, we can't be sure for now. Wait for demo!

And thanks man, really a pleasure reading encouragments...

Peepi:
I wrote your Flipper Test script for PU3D and ran it (I can share the script later, so you can all you guys have a feeling of what a script will look like):

This video shows the result of a test table done by UltraPeepi for FP, here ran on PU3D (script rewritten). Repeatability was achieved for every shot, except once for trigger 8 (maybe angular velocity not reset).

I also append a manual session to show that every target was reachable (though some were harder to hit :)).

Coming: Either Additional GUI DMD or air ball, depending on my mood ;).

UP2

#1032 UltraPeepi

UltraPeepi

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

OMG!!  I could not get a result like that with any settings I tried on FP, Physics 2.5, or any other variant of FP.  You were able to get a RELIABLE full spread.  I love it!  Thank you for posting.

ultradmd_splash.png

#1033 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Wow! That's really unbelievable! Now it's even harder to wait for a test version! ;)

#1034 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

yea looks very good. I can't wait to try this out myself.. Great work so far  :otvclap:

#1035 hotdp

hotdp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

• Flag: Denmark

• Favorite Pinball: T2

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

The expectations are getting higher for each post :-) Good job. Keep the videos coming.

#1036 Syco54645

Syco54645

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: kewpie doll, theatre of magic

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Coming: Either Additional GUI DMD or air ball, depending on my mood ;).

Hopefully air ball but keep up the fantastic work. This will save my virtual cab. Still will want to own certain games but this looks great!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

#1037 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

Damn. That's looks good.

#1038 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

wow that really looks like you have very fine control over accuracy, which is awesome.  Can't wait to see the script.  Why does ball slow down after kicker hole.  Almost like it has to slow down to fit between 2 rubbers.  Great little demo

#1039 zany

zany

3D Beer Drinker

• VIP
  • 1,644 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

Looks FANTSTIC!!!! :D

#1040 BilboX

BilboX

Enthusiast

• Unit3D Pinball Team
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thank you all guys.

wow that really looks like you have very fine control over accuracy, which is awesome.  Can't wait to see the script.  Why does ball slow down after kicker hole.  Almost like it has to slow down to fit between 2 rubbers.  Great little demo

Actually, the outgoing animation is "manual". It seems that it is a bit too fast regarding the kicker force... not a physical problem though.

Hopefully air ball but keep up the fantastic work.

I worked on air ball but I don't think it is really ready yet...( and Louizou do not agree for it's priority :))... more to come ;).

UP2