BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Creature from the black lagoon

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

I wanted to take some time and share my experience trying to get the new GTX 560 to work with VP and FP. While not all of you might have this card, the info may prove itself useful to someone.

The problem:
Replacing my 8800GTX with this Gigabyte GTX 560, I almost immediately noticed a problem loading tables on my 3/2 monitor setup. I found that after adding a new table and moving the DMD over to my third monitor or second monitor and resizing, all would be well. After closing out VP, and attempting to launch the table again later, the table almost appeared to be completely frozen but I could hear, a deh dehh dehh noise from the speakers. I found eventually that if I pressed f3 and gave it a few seconds, everything would reload and all would be well...until the next time I loaded the table and the same thing would happen again. I managed to press f11 while this was happening and it teetered between 0 and 1 frames per second slowly. I also noticed that CPU usage shot straight to 100% while this was going on.
*Note: not all tables did this to me. I was unable to replicate with JP's attack from mars. I could replicate this on tables like Jurassic Park, Dr. Dude (low and high res), Judge dredd, etc.

The troubleshooting:
I wont go into everything here because it encompassed days of testing, tweaking, different configurations, drivers, software and OS versions, etc, etc, etc.

My Solution:
If any of you have a 560, you know that there is only 1 official driver build (275.33) and 3 betas right now as the card is so new. While trying these different versions, I started limiting the extras that come with the nvidia driver (physx, nvidia update, hd audio driver, etc) By the end, I was simply installing the driver and nview. By this point I manually modified the 270.61 driver .inf to include and recognize my hardware as this driver doesnt natively support this card. I did a clean install of this driver, and this time, selected the driver only!
After some additional testing and trying to break VP...all seems to be working very well. I also tested FP and the backglass and score updates and works normally.

In the end, I'm not entirely sure if this problem was due to the driver, or nview. I will do some further testing on this when I get a chance.

My working hardware and software configuration:
-Asus p5E3 premium wifi mobo
-Intel e8400 dc @ 3.6ghz
-Antec 1000W PSU
-Gigabyte GTX 560 - using modified nvidia 270.61 driver
-MSI 6600GT - Using same 270.61 driver
-4gb of kingston 10666 - ddr3 ram
-TinyXP 32 (rev11)

I hope this proves useful to someone out there.

Edited by BitPirate, 09 June 2012 - 04:49 AM.

My Transformers Build - Here

#2 maceman

maceman

Home Pinball Machine Collector/ Restorer

• VIP
  • 2,271 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ....**Haunted House**....

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

ok,

so are you saying you have a single card working, the gtx560, using a tweaked version of the 275.33 and both FP and VP are working???

If so, where the heck were you 2 months ago when i needed you!!! smile.gif

Anyways, I am surprised. Why would the 275.33 not work with the 560 natively?That was the set-up i returned and bought the 460 because i couldn't get the 560 to work with both. Plus i wanted to use my 9500GT as a BG card, but it wasn't compatible with the 560(or 460 for that matter)

I think i had the 560. or was it the 570. I need to look back as i forget.

Thanx for sharing,

Maceman

Edited by maceman, 05 August 2011 - 07:24 PM.

________________________________________________________________________________
Canada Eh!
hm_avatar.pngss_avatar.jpg MODS ys_avatar5.jpggenie_avatar.pngj2o_avatar.png

#3 jdsabin1

jdsabin1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: A sucker for EM tables....

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Agreed maceman! Can you turn on the relection properties in FP that weren't working with the 400 series cards (and we are stuck using the 260.99 version also based on backglass problems).

I will go with a 560 asap if these issues are now resolved.
'The ball is wild!' - Harry Williams

#4 BitPirate

BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hey Maceman,

so are you saying you have a single card working, the gtx560, using a tweaked version of the 275.33 and both FP and VP are working???

Haha, sorry my friend.
Actually right now, I am running the 560 for pf and bg, and a 6600gt for the dmd. Both are using the 270.66 driver.
It is the 270's installation .inf file that I had to modify to include my 560 hardware as it doesnt natively support the 560.

The 275 driver does natively support my card but I just couldnt shake this problem so I left it last night in testing.
Now that I have had some success, I will try going back to version 275.33 (driver only! no nview, etc) and see if that works for me.
If not, no biggie, the tweaked 270 seems to work just fine in both VP and FP smile.gif

I'll update this post sometime this weekend and post my results with 275.33

QUOTE (maceman @ Aug 5 2011, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok,

Anyways, I am surprised. Why would the 275.33 not work with the 560 natively?That was the set-up i returned and bought the 460 because i couldn't get the 560 to work with both. Plus i wanted to use my 9500GT as a BG card, but it wasn't compatible with the 560(or 460 for that matter)

Thanx for sharing,

Maceman

#5 mikef

mikef

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 31 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (maceman @ Aug 5 2011, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok,

Thanx for sharing,

Maceman

I think the key is to install the Driver only and not any of the extras - I also went back to running TinyXP (rev 9) a few days ago with 275.33 drivers and it's seems to be running VP and FP on a 3 screen setup without any issues. (with a 560 GTX Ti for Playfield, backbox and GTX 260 for DMD). PS - FP settings are set to Maximum so reflections are enabled. Great work on all the testing BitPirate good.gif

Edited by mikef, 06 August 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#6 maceman

maceman

• VIP
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

...I am eager to hear your results with the 275.33.

This makes me want to think of upgrading as well... Thanx for tips on the driver only install. We may be getting somewhere finally!

Maceman
________________________________________________________________________________
Canada Eh!

#7 BitPirate

BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Ok, I managed to get a little late night testing in, here are my results:

I installed 275.33 driver only and tested VP and FP. Unfortunately, I met the same problem with the aformentioned tables (jurassic park, etc) freezing on startup. I also tested FP with maxim graphic settings (including full reflections) and everything worked just fine using the 3 angels table. BG and Score updated just fine.

I then did a clean install of the 270.61 (modified) driver, but this time left it, doing a manilla install (the graphics driver and all the other included goodies that nvidia offers)
Testing this I found that my troubles went away with JPark and JDredd. I tested FP and everything worked there as well with maximum graphic settings.

From this testing I think we can conclude: The problem I was having was with the 275 driver.
Mikef said that he was having no troubles with the 275 driver.

- Mike, can you try loading jurassic Park and judge dredd and moving the dmd around, resizing (as descibed above, closing VP fully each time between tests) and share your results?

I think in any case, whether you have success with the 275 driver, or need to use 270.61 (modifying the inf) I think we have a working configuration here! biggrin.gif

If anyone needs info on modifying the inf or would simply like a copy of my inf, feel free to PM me.

I hope this helps Maceman and jdsabin.

Edited by BitPirate, 06 August 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#8 mikef

mikef

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (BitPirate @ Aug 6 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Mike, can you try loading jurassic Park and judge dredd and moving the dmd around, resizing (as descibed above, closing VP fully each time between tests) and share your results?

I'll give it a try and post my results. No problems with moving around the dmd display but one thing I do differently is I set my dmd monitor to a custom resolution (540 x 420 or something like that), set the dmd option to Double size in vpinmame and I have DirectDraw turned off (ddraw = 0 in the reg settings for each rom). What that means is I get a full-size DMD without any stretching. So that may be another difference between our two settings. Also mines a 560 GTX TI which is a slightly different model (I think it's a little bit older) so maybe that makes a slight difference also. Thanks - Mick.

Update - just checked resizing dmd for judge dredd and JP - no issues there either - maybe it is because it's a 560 TI.....

Edited by mikef, 06 August 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#9 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (mikef @ Aug 6 2011, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (BitPirate @ Aug 6 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll give it a try and post my results. No problems with moving around the dmd display but one thing I do differently is I set my dmd monitor to a custom resolution (540 x 420 or something like that), set the dmd option to Double size in vpinmame and I have DirectDraw turned off (ddraw = 0 in the reg settings for each rom). What that means is I get a full-size DMD without any stretching. So that may be another difference between our two settings. Also mines a 560 GTX TI which is a slightly different model (I think it's a little bit older) so maybe that makes a slight difference also. Thanks - Mick.

Update - just checked resizing dmd for judge dredd and JP - no issues there either - maybe it is because it's a 560 TI.....

GTX 560 TI is a newer model. IT had more cores pipelines and can be overclocked alot more then GTX560. Its based off new GF104 design.

#10 jdsabin1

jdsabin1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

• Favorite Pinball: A sucker for EM tables....

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

This is a very interesting topic. If I recall correctly the problem with FP and Nvidia drivers were coming from Windows 7 64 bit but it has been a while so I will need to go back and revisit old threads. At this point the only thing I would like to have work is the reflections in FP (and of course having backglasses that work which was also an issue I believe). Windows 7 64 bit has been stellar for me using the 260.99 drivers. I have 220 of the best FP and VP tables loaded using HyperPin and all the tables, FP and VP and even OS settings tweaked to where all seems flawless now (except Monopoly with the flash stuff which I have never been able to get to play smoothly but that's another story all together).

Perhaps I will give the 270.61 drivers a try and see where it goes.
'The ball is wild!' - Harry Williams

#11 mikef

mikef

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (jdsabin1 @ Aug 7 2011, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a very interesting topic. If I recall correctly the problem with FP and Nvidia drivers were coming from Windows 7 64 bit but it has been a while so I will need to go back and revisit old threads. At this point the only thing I would like to have work is the reflections in FP (and of course having backglasses that work which was also an issue I believe). Windows 7 64 bit has been stellar for me using the 260.99 drivers. I have 220 of the best FP and VP tables loaded using HyperPin and all the tables, FP and VP and even OS settings tweaked to where all seems flawless now (except Monopoly with the flash stuff which I have never been able to get to play smoothly but that's another story all together).

You could try my options which I used for Monopoly Win 7 64bit - see the Monopoly thread on hyperspin forums:

http://www.hyperspin...p;postcount=175

Key thing I found to reduce stutter was actually turn Aero ON by using an Aero theme. That was on the newer drivers (275.33) though and then FP wouldn't work.

#12 FredBear

FredBear

Hobbyist

• Gold Supporter
  • 47 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Eight Ball Deluxe

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

This is a very interesting thread - I too am running a GTX560 with the 275.33 drivers but I am using TinyXP. I'm setting up tables alphabetically in VP and I'm up to Cirqus Voltaire, with all tables running OK except BTTF which is locking up on start up in a similar fashion to what is mentioned in previous posts. It doesn't seem to matter whether I run the table through VP directly or via HP and the problem is not always consistent ie sometimes the table runs fine. My settings are at "full" as well.

I was running an older driver set that came with the card and I vaguely recall that BTTF ran fine - the only reason I went with the newer driver was that the one I was running would not pick up my PCI 8400GS card.

FP seems to be fine with the couple of tables I have tested so far.

I too will try Jurassic Park and see whether I get a similar result.

#13 mikef

mikef

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (FredBear @ Aug 7 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a very interesting thread - I too am running a GTX560 with the 275.33 drivers but I am using TinyXP. I'm setting up tables alphabetically in VP and I'm up to Cirqus Voltaire, with all tables running OK except BTTF which is locking up on start up in a similar fashion to what is mentioned in previous posts. It doesn't seem to matter whether I run the table through VP directly or via HP and the problem is not always consistent ie sometimes the table runs fine. My settings are at "full" as well.

I was running an older driver set that came with the card and I vaguely recall that BTTF ran fine - the only reason I went with the newer driver was that the one I was running would not pick up my PCI 8400GS card.

FP seems to be fine with the couple of tables I have tested so far.

I too will try Jurassic Park and see whether I get a similar result.

Depending on the driver you download sometimes it is restricted to the one card only. I think you can updated this by adding an entry for your other card - I think it's nv_disp.inf which will be under wherever the original setup extracted the Nvidia install files to (something like : C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\"version"\"OS"\English\Display.Driver), edit the nv_disp.inf file with notepad, find the section near the bottom that lists your video card device name and add the following lines:
NVIDIA_DEV.0404.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS"
NVIDIA_DEV.0422.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS "
NVIDIA_DEV.0424.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS "
NVIDIA_DEV.06E4.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS "
NVIDIA_DEV.10C3.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS"
save it and then try to run setup from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\"version"\"OS"\English\

If that doesn't work, check with BitPirate because he definitely knows how to do it. I'll give BTTF a go and let you know how it goes also - I had problems originally with Windows XP SP3 with Data East games but TinyXP rev09 worked fine for me with the 275.33 drivers.

*UPDATE* Just downloaded and installed Back To The Future (JP Salas version) - installed and ran no problem - played around with DMD resize, positioning etc just to test and then updated the script so that the LEDs were on the backglass using UVP - all working great. Hope that helps.

Edited by mikef, 07 August 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#14 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

the tower built for me is running a geoforce 5600 with 270. (just now got the 275.33 update!)
and both VP and FP run on the one card with no problems. I can also set two more monitors on it as I am currently using just one.
It WILL handle three and still run FP ( I tried it but couldn't get the actual tables to play (vp) but they DID load in on the three
with a BG on monitor number two) monitor 3 was dark but I didn't really want the tri screen set up anyhow
I just wanted to see if it were capable of handling it and while I am unsure of that third monitor at least two ran okay
"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs

#15 BitPirate

BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

I wasn't initially sure if the problems I was having were strictly isolated. As it seems there may be more of you out there, I thought I'd share what I did to modify the drivers to recognize my 560.

Mikef is on the right track. The file is called nv4_disp.inf and found here (in my system, default location) C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\270.61\WinXP\English\Display.Driver.

There are 2 places where I needed to make references for the installer to recognize my 560 hardware.

Start the end (there is a reason)- At almost the very end of the file. You will find a harware list. Pulling from the 275 driver's inf I grabbed this line:
NVIDIA_DEV.1201.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560" -- *Note the 1201.01
and added it to my 270's list in the proper place, keeping the sequencial order.

Closer to the top is another list. Searching for the 1201.01 in the 275 driver I found:
%NVIDIA_DEV.1201.01% = Section005, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1201
and added it to the 270 list in its appropriate place (keeping the sequencial order)

Save and your good to go.

One important thing to note: Check "Clean install" option.
The first time I went through this install, like a goof, forgot to push the "clean install" option. It gave me some warnings about the existing files being newer but I told it to overwrite them... Well, trying to restart, windows no longer booted. After going through safe mode, fully uninstalling and trying this again using this option, all was well. No biggie, but save yourself the inconvenince.

In closing, while I dislike the need for a disclaimer, I should say that while this worked for me, all this should be done at your own risk. I can't see it causing an issue and I hope that it helps...just saying.

#16 maceman

maceman

• VIP
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (jdsabin1 @ Aug 6 2011, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct. For some reason I thought this was for Win 7 64bit.

The newest drivers work with XP, that is known already and well documented. I think it was Rob who ran a few threads on it. If someone gets this to work on Win 7, wake me back up smile.gif

Maceman
Canada Eh!

#17 BitPirate

BitPirate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

-another item in this thread to consider: - Mikef has reported (more or less) full success with his 560ti and 275 drivers on TinyXP Rev 09 while I am currently on Rev 11.

Personally I'm perfectly ok using the 270 driver, but if by chance someone has a 560 on tinyxp rev 9, I'd be curious if you have any success with the 275 drivers or need 270 as I do.

#18 DeeGor

DeeGor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

I'm running the GTX 560 ti in my cabinet as well and I encountered the same issues originally described by BitPirate. The 270.61 drivers did fix the speed issues, but I've noticed that there is no transparency with my alpha ramps. You can really notice it in TOTAN; the whole table looks horrible.

I've checked the usual suspects (32bit & Hardware rendering). I've been banging my head against the wall on this for a few days now, and I'm kind of regretting getting the faster card. sad.gif

Has anyone else ran into this issue and were you able to solve it?
My Pinball Cabinet:

#19 pilky

pilky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: medievil madness

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

can you not look for and try an optimised driver its what im using and plays these tables without a problem .. otherwise you would see me moaning every 5 min s ..lolol smile.gif

#20 DeeGor

DeeGor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (pilky @ Nov 6 2011, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can you not look for and try an optimised driver its what im using and plays these tables without a problem .. otherwise you would see me moaning every 5 min s ..lolol smile.gif

I'm not sure what you mean. Which driver version should I be using?
My Pinball Cabinet: