• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

semi-retired vpm author ish :)

• VIP
  • 2,737 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I guess I like them all, new and old, but I never remember the rules of newer pinball

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Flash VP91x v1.2

Version: 1.2.0
Category: VPinMAME 9.x Recreations

Author(s): jpsalas

Description:
Based on the Williams Flash table from 1979
Angle independent, only for VP912 due to the use of the alpha transparency, etc, etc smile.gif

The FS version has higher resolution graphics, but the originals were very very small, so the quality isn't very great, and a few of the plastics were broken too. So if you have better pictures of this table don't hesitate in to send them to me so I can update the table with better graphics.

Update 1.1
- Changed the plastics (thanks Ezepov for the pictures). The changes are not very visible in this 4:3, but they look much better in the FS version.
- Changed a little the playfield using some pictures Strangeleo72 sent me, thanks smile.gif
- Made some changes to the speed of the ball and the strength of the plunger, thanks ta2686
- Made some changes to le outlane layout, making the left a little easier (moved the post a little down)
- I hope I stopped the ball going on top of the left plastic.

Update 1.2
- New playfield. Thanks to Ezepov for the redraw.

View File

Submitted by jpsalas, on Jul 30 2011, 12:36 PM

Edited by jpsalas, 01 August 2011 - 03:43 PM.

My web site:

http://sofie40.no/jpsalas

wip: panthera

#2 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,320 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

What a nice surprise! Thanks for the release JP! Will play a few games and report back to see how it plays versus my real Flash machine.

Muchas gracias JP!
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#3 bolt

bolt

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 4,142 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Lord of the Rings,Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Thank you very much for this great release.
Posted Image

#4 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

awesome!! thank you JP!! nice surprise

edit: Osprey101 is working on a redraw and can probably help you out for a future update

Edited by Sabbat, 30 July 2011 - 08:09 PM.

If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#5 Itchigo

Itchigo

Be careful, your PM's can be edited here!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Former VIP and proud of it!

• Trophies:

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks JP, I have to check this out!! The version I have is from Stein. Plays great but is old. dblthumb.gif
Now available: The World's first VP Template with B2s Capability!

#6 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,320 posts

Contributor

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

This table plays relatively well. A few nitpicks I have however.

First, on a full plunge you should go around the upper loop through the spinner to the right upper flipper. Ball movement for me seems a bit slow going from the plunger to the left outer loop. You should also be able to send it around the outer loop from the right upper flipper if the shot is hard enough.

Second, the text on the inserts in the inlanes is incorrect. It should read 3000 & 3 BONUS ADV WHEN LIT. The way it is displayed in the insert is in the upper portion of the insert 3000 & is curved around the top, 3 BONUS is straight on the next line in the middle, ADV is just below that line (again straight across) and WHEN LIT is curved around the bottom portion of the insert.

Finally, I got a ball stuck at the entrance of the upper left outer loop. See this cropped pic to see where it got stuck.

Otherwise, nice looking table.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

#7 strmwrng

strmwrng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

Great table! Most distracting, really ... I have it here on my main desktop 'puter w/the 24" widescreen, hard to turn off VP and get some work done! rolleyes.gif

There's just one minor detail I'd like to add ... the background "humm" sound. In the arcade version of Flash, this machine had a low "humm" in the background that increased in pitch the longer the ball stayed in play, and the more bonus points that would be racked up. It is similar to the "humm" that's on Stern's Meteor table.

Here is a vid of the arcade Flash in action; you can hear what I'm talking about very clearly

I went into the ROM settings for the table and set Function 33 to "01" (Background Sound ON, according to Williams' Flash Operator's Manual ), and then reset the game (F3) but it had no effect.

Could it be that the background sound was not emulated when creating the "PinMAME Romset (L-1)"?

For me, it would just be something nice to have. Flash is a very memorable table from '79. It is really great to see such a quality recreation like this.
It's hard to put it down, feels like I'm playing the real thing. But having that background sound would just make it complete.

--strmwrng

#8 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,320 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (strmwrng @ Jul 30 2011, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great table! Most distracting, really ... I have it here on my main desktop 'puter w/the 24" widescreen, hard to turn off VP and get some work done! rolleyes.gif

There's just one minor detail I'd like to add ... the background "humm" sound. In the arcade version of Flash, this machine had a low "humm" in the background that increased in pitch the longer the ball stayed in play, and the more bonus points that would be racked up. It is similar to the "humm" that's on Stern's Meteor table.

Here is a vid of the arcade Flash in action; you can hear what I'm talking about very clearly

I went into the ROM settings for the table and set Function 33 to "01" (Background Sound ON, according to Williams' Flash Operator's Manual ), and then reset the game (F3) but it had no effect.

Could it be that the background sound was not emulated when creating the "PinMAME Romset (L-1)"?

For me, it would just be something nice to have. Flash is a very memorable table from '79. It is really great to see such a quality recreation like this.
It's hard to put it down, feels like I'm playing the real thing. But having that background sound would just make it complete.

--strmwrng

To get that sound, you need to go into the rom adjustments and enable it as the sound is disabled when the machine came from the factory. To enable the sound:

1. Press 9 to enter diagnostic mode. The displays should go blank when this key is pressed.

2. Press 8 to enter test mode.

3. Press 7 then press 8 to see 01 in the credit display.

4. Continue to press 8 until you see 04 in the credit display and 31 in the match/ball in play display.

5. Press the 1 key to change the value in the first player display to 01.

6. Press F3 to save the change and reset the table.

The manual shows to change 33 as that was the setting with the rom using the System 4 boards. The PinMAME rom set here is the one that uses the System 6 boards and the options changed but the manuals that are out there were never updated.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ta2686, 31 July 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#9 Bob5453

Bob5453

I'm taking a nap

• VIP
  • 3,896 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair

• Trophies:

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

Nice work JP. Great table, I love the plunger. Thanks!

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.

#10 jpsalas

jpsalas

• VIP
  • 2,737 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I guess I like them all, new and old, but I never remember the rules of newer pinball

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:31 AM

To get the background sound all I need to do is to press F6 during the game, check the second option, Synth Sound. Click OK and press F3 to reset.

Thanks Ezepov for the plastics pictures they are excellent! It will be no problem to update the plastics from those pictures.

And thanks Strangeleo72 for the pictures of the table. It will be a lot of work to redraw/rebuild the playfield from those pictures, so I'll wait for Osprey101's redraw before I start with a new playfield, and if he wants then I'll use it.

Thanks for the tips and bug reports.

JP

My web site:

#11 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,320 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (jpsalas @ Jul 30 2011, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To get the background sound all I need to do is to press F6 during the game, check the second option, Synth Sound. Click OK and press F3 to reset.

Thanks Ezepov for the plastics pictures they are excellent! It will be no problem to update the plastics from those pictures.

And thanks Strangeleo72 for the pictures of the table. It will be a lot of work to redraw/rebuild the playfield from those pictures, so I'll wait for Osprey101's redraw before I start with a new playfield, and if he wants then I'll use it.

Thanks for the tips and bug reports.

JP

Sorry, JP, I don't mean to argue with you, but that dip switch swaps between the synth sounds and electronic EM sounds. You have to go into the rom adjustments to turn it on using the procedure I gave a few posts up. The synth sounds are disabled in the rom by default.

I even verified that on my real Flash machine that is sitting in another room of the house. Changing the dip switch on the sound board to use synth sounds but having option 31 set to 0 does not give the humming sound in the background that strmwrng is looking for.

#12 strmwrng

strmwrng

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

YYEEEEAAAAHHH!!!! tup.gif The background sound's up and running! I -AM- playing the real deal .. just without spending $20 in quarters!

I set the sound as ta2686 suggested. It's good to see how these ROM settings work. It was also very interesting to hear that the PinMAME for this table is Williams System 6, not Syst 4. I never would have found that out otherwise. Thanks for that, ta!

But it is much easier to just hit F6 during game play. That's a new one on me, too, much more convenient. VERY nice! I never would have found that one out, either. Thanks for that, JP!

I look forward to seeing what other new and interesting settings there are yet for me to discover in the other Williams tables, like Firepower, Blackout, Contact, Stellar Wars, Time Warp, Alien Poker, Laser Cue, High Speed, etc.

BTW, I'm getting the stuck ball above the left drop targets, too, the same as ta2868 reported.

As far as I can see, it may have to do with the center drop targets. When one or two of the three targets are down, I thought I was imagining it at first, but the ball JUMPS after hitting the rubber behind the targets! Sometimes not so much, other times, yes, it definitely JUMPS! I half expect to hear the sharp WHAP! of the ball against the glass! Very realistic game play, way to go! I'm guessing that the force is such that the ball lands on top of the plastic above the targets ... or, that's what would happen in a physical game, caught between the plastic and the glass top of the table. I don't know enough yet about table construction in VP to even hazard a guess ... it would be nice to hear how you solved this little glitch.

Thanks again! GREAT table! tup.gif YYYEEEAAAAHHHH!!!

--strmwrng

#13 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,320 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:39 AM

Glad to be of help strmwrng!

As I said before, I own a real Flash machine myself. I too was originally frustrated when I could not get the background sound going after I had the machine delivered to my house. However, between the old VPForums and a pinball tech I knew, I was able to find out the information regarding the settings of the machine. The tech told me that the System 6 boards were in use in my machine just by the version number of the rom (L-1). I don't recall what he said the System 4 version numbers were (there were 2 I believe he said). I also don't recall if there were any revised manuals sent with the System 6 rom version tables. All I know is the manuals I got with my Flash had the System 4 settings (just like the manual you found on the IPDB).

Anyway, if you want to know more about making adjustments on these old Williams machines, you can use my guides to either adjusting replay levels or balls per game for the non-DMD tables as a starting point. Then coordinate the manual with the guide to set whatever options you want. You can find links to those guides in my signature.

#14 jpsalas

jpsalas

• VIP
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

I have already fixed the glitch. The reason is the ball jumping. I think this ball jumping was added to VP911 or VP912, maybe a result of a change in the compiler, since I haven't heard anything about this jump feature. Before the ball never jumped and in VP8 Randy added this feature, but I didn't know it made it to VP9. But I have noticed this in several tables. The problem is that the ball when it is in the air it may go through horizontal walls, and it will jump into objects or get stuck on top of a plastic. I have fixed this error in this table by making some high invisible walls. But it is a nice feature, I like this ball jumping, I'll need to find a way to get a sound when the ball hits the floor smile.gif

I have also adjusted the ball speed and the plunger strength as ta2686 suggested.

Working on the new plastics now smile.gif

My web site:

#15 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

ty ta2686, i have bg sound now smile.gif
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#16 serpiko

serpiko

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: GTB spirit and all the wonderful tables that you make

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

dblthumb.gif otvclap.gif very BiG thanks mister salas.
you are a Grand master.
thanks x1000 for this table

#17 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

I wish I had known you were doing this table. I also recently owned & shopped one, so I'm very familiar with how a nice one plays, & I got tons of stripped PF pics & all that good stuff. Sounds like you are all set with that now, not surprising cuz they made like 20k of these! I'll have to check it out to see how it plays compared to the Flash I had, when I get some free time.

#18 jpsalas

jpsalas

• VIP
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

Update 1.1
- Changed the plastics (thanks Ezepov for the pictures)
- Changed a little the playfield using some pictures Strangeleo72 sent me, thanks smile.gif
- Made some changes to the speed of the ball and the strength of the plunger, thanks ta2686
- Made some changes to the outlane layout, making the left one a little easier (moved the post a little down)
- I hope I stopped the ball going on top of the left plastic.

JP

Edited by jpsalas, 31 July 2011 - 08:57 AM.

My web site:

#19 jpsalas

jpsalas

• VIP
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (rob046 @ Jul 31 2011, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I had known you were doing this table. I also recently owned & shopped one, so I'm very familiar with how a nice one plays, & I got tons of stripped PF pics & all that good stuff. Sounds like you are all set with that now, not surprising cuz they made like 20k of these! I'll have to check it out to see how it plays compared to the Flash I had, when I get some free time.

Well, I didn't know I was going to make this table until last week when susan66 sent a PM asking for this table (I think she asked for this table smile.gif ). I already had a Flash table ready and scripted but it was not going to be Flash but a semi original table using the Flash layout and rom, but with different graphics and some added extra rules. It was a project from highrise and me, but at that time people wasn't very happy with tables made using roms, so we dropped the idea.

I will be nice, rob046, if you could play a little the table and goves your opinion of things that could be changed to improve the table, just like ta2686 did.

JP

My web site:

#20 Pin-Pete

Pin-Pete

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: Pin*Bot,Cyclone