Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Scared Stiff

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (bladexdsl @ Oct 4 2011, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
those mercury switches i got on mine i actually got them to a point where i only have to tap the sides with my hand and they'll trigger tongue.gif

Yeah, if you mess around with them or tilt bobs, you can get them tuned eventually - but it's still a digital nudge in only 3 directions. It's not quite what I want - I want the ball to react to the intensity of the nudge, as well as the direction - thus it needs to be analog.
...Paul

Check out Wildfire Pinball's build details here: Project Wildfire

#242 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

I've updated the electrical schematic for my machine, if anyone's interested.

Here's what changed:

- Added the strobe relay
- Added the shaker motor (with the dual H bridge)
- Added the replay knocker (one of the cheap 12V solenoids - works good!)
- Changed my old flipper / slingshot / bumper solenoids to contactors
- Added the insert coin switch
- Added the AC power part of the circuit, with a lit master power switch and power bar
- Added a night mode switch to kill the noisy stuff
- Added diodes for coils (knocker, contactors)

Note that I don't have the dual H-bridge yet, so I'm going on what should work, but the wiring is untested.

Same download location as before, which is here.

So far the thing has seen a bunch of hours in use, and it hasn't caught fire yet, so I must be doing something right *grin*.

...Paul

#243 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

Well - the Ultimarc U-HID G won't get here today. It almost did - it made it to Seattle (about 2 hours away), and then DHL sent it to...Lima, Peru. It won't make it back here until Tuesday (Monday is a holiday in Canada).

Bah! I guess I won't be playing with the board this weekend.

Edited by Darkfall, 07 October 2011 - 12:40 PM.

...Paul

#244 maxxsinner

maxxsinner

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

It shoulda turned left at Alberkerky. biggrin.gif
Schematic looks sweet darkfall

#245 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (maxxsinner @ Oct 7 2011, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It shoulda turned left at Alberkerky. biggrin.gif
Schematic looks sweet darkfall

Thanks, maxx. smile.gif
...Paul

#246 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Ok...Shaker motor. The thing works like a hot damn, and it was dirty cheap, so I'm creating another tutorial for it. Here we go...

Parts Needed

• 1 x Pittman 9414H255-R2 19 Volt DC dual shaft motor (Found here ($16.00 + $10.00 shipping. Sold out as of March 18, 2012) or here ($34.95 + $10.95 shipping. eBay seller, has 7 as of March 18, 2012). See #1 in parts list below. Note: This appears to be a part that was custom made for a customer by Pittman, and is no longer produced, thus stock is hard to find.
  • 2 x Gear hubs with V-Channel, 5/8" Bore (Any place that sells gears. Automotive supply places, for example. $4.49 each). See #2 in parts list below. (Found here, thanks Mameman!)
  • 2 x Shaft Collars, 1/4" inner diameter, 1/2" outer diameter (Same as gear hubs. $1.99 each). See #3 in parts list below. (Found here, thanks Mameman!)
  • 2 x Exhaust Clamps, 1-5/8" (Automotive supply places. $2.29 each). See #4 in parts list below.
  • Misc. screws to screw clamps to something.
  • A small sheet of lexan to cover the motor, in case it explodes while running - you don't want a gear hub flying through your playfield in the middle of a game!
  • A 5 volt or 12 volt power supply that can deliver at least 1 Amp (5 volts) or 2 Amp (12 volts).
  • A relay to turn the motor on with your LEDWiz, or a dual H-Bridge if you want varying intensities controlled by the LEDWiz (see my electrical schematic for how to connect this part). I ordered an H-Bridge from China, mentioned in a previous thread. It's not here yet, so I can't tell you if it works - but I don't see why it wouldn't. It was cheap, and apparently the quality is good. We'll see.

Total cost (without screws, lexan, relay / H-bridge): $41.54 with shipping of motor.

The parts list.

This is the gear hub. This is going to be our weight on the shaft. Notice the hub has a channel cut on the inside to fit onto a spline on a shaft. We'll use that channel for our motor's shaft. Also notice that there are two set screws - one in the channel, and one on the main inside wall. We'll want both set screws on the part you get.

We need a way to fill up the large inner size of the hub, so we'll put a shaft collar inside that will leave enough room for us to get the motor shaft into the channel and still be able to tighten everything up with the set screws so it doesn't go anywhere. Put the shaft collar inside the hub, then tighten the main set screw until it's just snug - it's best if we can still move it a little to get the motor's shaft in there. I had to use my pinky and stuff it in the end of the hub to keep the collar straight while I put the motor shaft into the channel. You could also use some round metal stock here, too, but that means cutting stuff to side - too much work *grin*. Notice that I put the heaviest side of the hub facing closest to the motor to keep stress on the shaft to a minimum.

Here you can see the motor shaft in the channel. The weight of the hub is nice and unbalanced, so it'll shake like crazy when it spins.

The hub should be in pretty close to the motor - maybe 1/8" maximum. If it's out too far on the shaft, it'll just cause more torque on the motor's bearings and wear it out faster. Once the motor shaft is in there with the collar, and you have the hub in close to the motor body, tighten the set screws down solidly - you don't want these flying off in the middle of a game and breaking things!

Now do the same on the other side. Make sure the weight of the hubs is facing the same way on both sides. I used the set screws on the hubs to eyeball the alignment to get them as even as I could. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer, the better. The closer it is to being the same on both sides, the stronger the shake will be. If your shake is too rough, you can always loosen the set screw on one of the hubs and twist the weight so it's close to being opposite. Even at 100% opposite, it'll still shake, but much less.

Here you can see that I have my hubs' weight both facing the same way. Shake the hell out of everything, I say!

Now slip one of the exhaust clamps over the hub and onto the motor body, and tighten it down (be careful not to squish the component connected to the power pins!). Pay attention to where the power connectors are for the motor - you want them somewhere handy. I faced mine straight upwards, but I think I will face it down and off to the side slightly, so I don't have wires going up and over to the top of the motor, just in case a wire finds it's way into the path of one of the hubs and gets ripped free. Once the first clamp is on, slip on the second one and just snug it up. Put the motor on a table and slide the clamp back and forth until the motor doesn't rock back and forth like a chair with one short leg. Once it's right, tighten it up and check it again.

A side view of the completed shaker.

In terms of mounting it in the cabinet, my plan is to cut a small piece of wood for it, drill 4 holes in it to run the threaded ends of the exhaust clamps through, then put a washer and the nuts on the other side, capturing the wood between the exhaust clamp and the washer and nut. I'll then just screw the board with the motor on it to the floor of the cabinet and then screw my lexan cover over that (I'll have to bend the lexan sheet, of course, then drill some holes in it for mounting). I'll have photos of all that later, once I've gotten everything mounted.

I hooked this thing up to a small power supply I had for an old 12 volt router - it wouldn't spin continuously, instead spinning fast, then slow, then fast, then slow. The little power supply couldn't feed the motor enough amperage (so make sure you can deliver the current the motor needs, or you won't be impressed with the performance). Once I got off my ass and went downstairs to get my big test power supply (infinitely variable voltage, amperage readout, etc.) and connected it, the motor ran stunningly. At 5 volts, it's really shaking. At 12 volts, I can barely hold the thing down and stuff is rattling off the desk (I had allen keys all over the floor inside of about a second and a half - it sort of freaked me out, how powerful it was!)

Something to think about, given the shaking (especially at 12 volts!), is that spindle based hard drives don't much like to be shaken when they're running. A head crash and resulting drive failure is in your future if you shake the crap out of it while it's spinning. An SSD is definitely recommended - if not required - for those using a shaker motor in their cabinets.

Anyway, this is going to work out great, and I wanted to share the plans. I hope it helps someone out!

Edited by Darkfall, 19 March 2012 - 06:43 AM.

...Paul

#247 mameman23

mameman23

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 506 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who, robocop

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Darkfall @ Oct 7 2011, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok...Shaker motor. The thing works like a hot damn, and it was dirty cheap, so I'm creating another tutorial for it. Here we go...

Parts Needed

• 2 x Gear hubs with V-Channel, 5/8" Bore (Any place that sells gears. Automotive supply places, for example. $4.49 each). See #2 in parts list below.

I like the idea of the gear hubs, saves doing the drilling and tapping i had to do on the aluminum blocks i made. do you have part numbers for those from where you got them? was it someone like autozone or advance auto, pep boys, etc,etc? that would help alot for those wanting to build one.

muffler clamps look ok, i think i still prefer my conduit clamps, seem a little less industrial than the muffler clamps smile.gif

Edited by mameman23, 08 October 2011 - 02:51 AM.

PM me for any CNC needs.
Find me on Facebook....Xtreme Pinball
Doctor Who Cabinet Build Thread Here
Tron Cabinet Build Thread Here
Big Bang Bar Build Thread Here
Mameman's cnc fun

#248 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (mameman23 @ Oct 7 2011, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea of the gear hubs, saves doing the drilling and tapping i had to do on the aluminum blocks i made. do you have part numbers for those from where you got them? was it someone like autozone or advance auto, pep boys, etc,etc? that would help alot for those wanting to build one.

muffler clamps look ok, i think i still prefer my conduit clamps, seem a little less industrial than the muffler clamps smile.gif

Yeah, I was happy when I found the gear hubs for the very reason that I didn't have to cut, drill, and tap anything. They're typically called "V-Series" gear hubs. I got them at a place called Princess Auto, which is a big chain in British Columbia, Canada. The exact part is here.

For the shaft collar, that was at Princess Auto, too. The link for that is here.

I did look for the conduit clamps, but all I could find were ones that wrap all the way around the pipe in a U shape, then screw into the wall - I couldn't find any like yours, with the base to screw into the wall, and the split top with the clamping screw. Then I spotted the muffler clamps, and thought, "hell, these are the same everywhere - this'll be easier for people to find, and it's definitely going to be tough enough - and dirt cheap." so I went with them.

...Paul

#249 DeeGor

DeeGor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Great job Darkfall! otvclap.gif

Thanks for the tutorial. I will probably use it in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can easily find the same parts here in the states.
My Pinball Cabinet:

#250 mameman23

mameman23

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Ahh one of my trusty suppliers smile.gif

http://76.79.7.214/i...name=powerTrans
http://76.79.7.214/i...name=powerTrans
PM me for any CNC needs.
Mameman's cnc fun

#251 DeeGor

DeeGor

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Mameman.

Hopefully I can find them at a local store first so I can save on shipping costs. If not, I'll go with Surplus Center.
My Pinball Cabinet:

#252 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (mameman23 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great find, mameman! I'll add the URLs to the parts list at the top of the tutorial thread, so it's all in one place.

Edited by Darkfall, 09 October 2011 - 06:51 AM.

...Paul

#253 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

Photos of the shaker motor on it's mounting board, with guard. I cut up an old Rubbermaid bin lid for the plastic guard. It worked out pretty good.

I screwed the thing to my bench and fired it up. At 5 volts, it's shaking stuff pretty good. At 12 volts, things are falling off of the desk. I didn't even try 19 volts - it's plenty aggressive at 12 volts.

...Paul

#254 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

A pinball machine with a network port!

...Paul

#255 maxxsinner

maxxsinner

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 319 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

Shaker motor has a bit of a steam punk look about it Paul. I like it biggrin.gif

#256 DedRok_V

DedRok_V

Crazed Pinball Wizard (Australia's Former #1)

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,238 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Avengers Blue LE : Judge Dredd : Cosmic Princess

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Nice work paul, you have done well. otvclap.gif

Blueprint game : up to date list http://www.vpforums....s...st&p=147107

#257 mameman23

mameman23

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

these are the clamps I use. 2 of them so it does not twist.

Conduit Clamp
PM me for any CNC needs.
Mameman's cnc fun

#258 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:15 AM

Thanks, guys. It does sort of have a steampunk type look, now that you mention it, maxx. *grin*.

QUOTE (mameman23 @ Oct 10 2011, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
these are the clamps I use. 2 of them so it does not twist.

Conduit Clamp

Yeah, I like those, too - it's easier to get the motor in and out without dismounting a bunch of stuff...though now that I've built the scatter shield, the muffler clamps work better, since I don't have a clamp sticking up. In the end, it sort of worked out flawlessly, I think.

...Paul

#259 OxACE

OxACE

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 52 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Darkfall @ Sep 1 2011, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today was all about figuring out why my contactors were causing the PC to freak out.
For $0.68 each for some diodes that'd handle up to 3 amps, I figured I'd give them a try and grabbed 9 of them (one for each contactor, plus one for the replay knocker). I put the first one backwards across the coil of the contactor and did a quick animation with the LEDWiz software to click the output on and off, and voila! Success! I did the rest of the contactors and the replay knocker, and everything works as it should (I still need to fix my 5 volt relay boards - there's a bad joint, so some of the relays stop firing intermittently - but that's no big deal to fix).

So, my force feedback stuff is working. Yay. I was playing Attack From Mars, having the game of my freakin' life (almost) and won a replay. The replay knocker went off, smacking into the side of the cabinet from inside. The noise was so loud, it scared the hell out of me! *laughs*. That $1.50 solenoid certainly does the job for that task, no question.

Diodes! Diodes! Diodes!

I have a LED-Wiz for output, a Mot-Ion and U-HID-G for input (the mot-ion only emulates a game controller and has some problems with VP in my view). When playing, I would get seemigly random keypresses from the U-HID-G. After tearing the whole, nearly finished, cabinet apart and rewiring all the grounds, I was still getting the back-emf problems. Then, it struck me, I recalled reading this thread... and finally found it again. Installed 1N4007's across all the solenoids and not a problem since!

Thank you for the reference material and the fix!

Stephen

#260 Darkfall

Darkfall

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (OxACE @ Oct 10 2011, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Darkfall @ Sep 1 2011, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today was all about figuring out why my contactors were causing the PC to freak out.
For $0.68 each for some diodes that'd handle up to 3 amps, I figured I'd give them a try and grabbed 9 of them (one for each contactor, plus one for the replay knocker). I put the first one backwards across the coil of the contactor and did a quick animation with the LEDWiz software to click the output on and off, and voila! Success! I did the rest of the contactors and the replay knocker, and everything works as it should (I still need to fix my 5 volt relay boards - there's a bad joint, so some of the relays stop firing intermittently - but that's no big deal to fix).

So, my force feedback stuff is working. Yay. I was playing Attack From Mars, having the game of my freakin' life (almost) and won a replay. The replay knocker went off, smacking into the side of the cabinet from inside. The noise was so loud, it scared the hell out of me! *laughs*. That $1.50 solenoid certainly does the job for that task, no question.

Diodes! Diodes! Diodes!

I have a LED-Wiz for output, a Mot-Ion and U-HID-G for input (the mot-ion only emulates a game controller and has some problems with VP in my view). When playing, I would get seemigly random keypresses from the U-HID-G. After tearing the whole, nearly finished, cabinet apart and rewiring all the grounds, I was still getting the back-emf problems. Then, it struck me, I recalled reading this thread... and finally found it again. Installed 1N4007's across all the solenoids and not a problem since!

Thank you for the reference material and the fix!

Stephen

I'm glad my post helped you, Stephen! Cheers!
...Paul