Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: ST:TNG, Medieval Madness, Scared Stiff

• 360 Gamer Tag: Killerkop

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

So I'm kinda working on a Beavis & Butthead table. Right now I'm just playing around learning code as this is my first table.

I've used a template table to get started and pasted some code in from tutorials from Pinball Nirvana. Some of it worked, some didn't. It at least got me started.

So I've been trying to code stuff on my own and so far it's going pretty well. I'm starting to "think" in code, like I know how I want the table to act and usually my first
idea of how to set it up works, just need to iron it out.

So for those of you interested here's where I am so far. Not much to look at right now.

I'm only having one problem with the code so far. The table works fine after loading, but once the first game is completed and you start the second game it locks up after
you lose the first ball of the second game. If anyone can point me in the right direction with this, I'd appreciate it.

Attached File  code.txt   8.53KB   26 downloads

#2 rcadefrk

rcadefrk

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Gorgar Hellfire/T2 Ultra & Chrome, TFTC/BBB & JP, Rosve's Starship Troopers, Real Pinball: SW Trilogy & Krull

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Awesome theme, thanks for making this & keep up the great work!

#3 dave the cool

dave the cool

PC Build & Repair Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

I see you like my template? hehehe... Nice work so far!

EDIT: I just saw that you wrote that you are having trouble with the second game? Have you tried adding credits, have you modified my script in any ways? ( Not that I mind that you modified it, it's just because I want to try to help solve your problem )

Edited by dave the cool, 04 May 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#4 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (dave the cool @ May 4 2011, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see you like my template? hehehe... Nice work so far!

EDIT: I just saw that you wrote that you are having trouble with the second game? Have you tried adding credits, have you modified my script in any ways? ( Not that I mind that you modified it, it's just because I want to try to help solve your problem )

My (your?, our?) code is attached to the first post. I haven't changed anything with your code. I have added to it though for sounds at certain events and such. Credits still work fine to start the 2nd game, its just once that first ball drains nothing else happens.

On second thought I may have changed it some, I've run into some problems here and there. But I think I knew to leave things like Ball Drain and Game Over alone.

Edited by Killerkop, 04 May 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#5 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

just d/loaded it looked at it in notepad...not a wise choice as all the syntax is messed up! see? so when I log off I'll look at the code to see if I can spot it. this may be the blind leading the blind but I'll have a look-see anyhow! nice table btw I love Beav and Butthead I miss them.

Attached Files

• Attached File  code.JPG   102.86KB   11 downloads

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs

#6 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (faralos @ May 4 2011, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just d/loaded it looked at it in notepad...not a wise choice as all the syntax is messed up! see? so when I log off I'll look at the code to see if I can spot it. this may be the blind leading the blind but I'll have a look-see anyhow! nice table btw I love Beav and Butthead I miss them.

It looked like that once I pasted it in notepad, the real script for my table doesn't look THAT bad.

#7 templarjh

templarjh

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 514 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Sing Along

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

OMGAAAAH I'm such a fan of that dumb show lol. I'll be looking forward to this one.

#8 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

didn't even get too far into the coding i found this. now it will still work but to stop the file before it sounds is redundant
erase the lines that I have a black line thru. also I need the table to test it i can't look at code without knowing where in the actual table it screws up. can ya' send it out to me?
I dropped the txt coding into a new table but again without that table I cannot test anything.

looking at the code real quick I saw this. I do not know if this is causing your problems or not, but in my pin that 'in progress' line must be at game over I put it into your coding (the left circled one) but you should put that into your copy. this may do it or it may not but it needs to be in the code regardless.

Attached Files

Edited by faralos, 04 May 2011 - 07:21 PM.

----Steve Jobs

#9 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (faralos @ May 4 2011, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didn't even get too far into the coding i found this. now it will still work but to stop the file before it sounds is redundant
erase the lines that I have a black line thru. also I need the table to test it i can't look at code without knowing where in the actual table it screws up. can ya' send it out to me?
I dropped the txt coding into a new table but again without that table I cannot test anything.

looking at the code real quick I saw this. I do not know if this is causing your problems or not, but in my pin that 'in progress' line must be at game over I put it into your coding (the left circled one) but you should put that into your copy. this may do it or it may not but it needs to be in the code regardless.

I'm calling it to Stop before it plays incase it's already playing so it won't sound twice. (like if the ball shoots up the inlane and back down)

I'll add the in progress suggestion and test it, if that doesn't fix it I'll get the table to you.

Thanks for looking over it!

#10 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Going to be a cool theme
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#11 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

FYI, I figured out why it was messing up after the first game. Looks like the 3rd ball wasn't being destroyed, it just went to game over.

#12 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,337 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Killerkop @ May 4 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm kinda working on a Beavis & Butthead table. Right now I'm just playing around learning code as this is my first table.

I've used a template table to get started and pasted some code in from tutorials from Pinball Nirvana. Some of it worked, some didn't. It at least got me started.

So I've been trying to code stuff on my own and so far it's going pretty well. I'm starting to "think" in code, like I know how I want the table to act and usually my first
idea of how to set it up works, just need to iron it out.

So for those of you interested here's where I am so far. Not much to look at right now.

I'm only having one problem with the code so far. The table works fine after loading, but once the first game is completed and you start the second game it locks up after
you lose the first ball of the second game. If anyone can point me in the right direction with this, I'd appreciate it.

Attached File  code.txt   8.53KB   26 downloads

why is the apron so big?

#13 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

hopefully he'll have something cool under it like hidden kickers
I agree if you are not using that apron bring the lower end down a bit (slings and ball lanes too) and put more pf things in!
glad ya' got the 'game over' snafu fixed!

Edited by faralos, 05 May 2011 - 12:46 AM.

----Steve Jobs

#14 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

Why is the apron so big? I guess the best answer is I don't yet know what I'm doing. ;-)

#15 templarjh

templarjh

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 514 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Sing Along

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

lol! Perfect answer to that question wink.gif Man, I have a lot of respect for you for doing this. I've tried to start making a table and got like 15 minutes in, and was like what the heck is going on here. And I'm not a total dummy. Well, not totally. I might give it another try sometime.

#16 billyrjse

billyrjse

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Cavaleiro negro, Medieval Madness, AFM, Elvira Scared Stiff

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

Very nice start! Keep going with this great job! tup.gif

Big Thanks to my friend Hassanchop for this very nice dmd.

#17 Killerkop

Killerkop

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

Adjusted apron, and made a few other changes.

Edited by Killerkop, 05 May 2011 - 04:36 AM.

#18 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Trophies:

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Much better! now the pf is opened up for goodies! like the revamped ramp too although some of my older tables use ramps I think there are many here who see them as obstructions on a pin, but ramps off to the side are usually accepted

QUOTE (templarjh @ May 4 2011, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol! Perfect answer to that question wink.gif Man, I have a lot of respect for you for doing this. I've tried to start making a table and got like 15 minutes in, and was like what the heck is going on here. And I'm not a total dummy. Well, not totally. I might give it another try sometime.

the easiest way to make a pin is to draw it out on paper first, get a feel for the ball flow and travel. then start to build a table. it also helps if you have a general theme. like do you want an EM look to it or an SS look or just an original? I build mine MY way i don't follow anyone else's ideas or a general theme, but it helps to have something to build on.
and you must possess an endless amount of patience since an original must be tested more so than an already commercially made pin. trust me building an original takes so much more time since everything must be hand adjusted from nothing except your own imagination! look at some of the older easier coded pins to get a feel of the tables and how the ball travels around them. You could make a kick-ass looking pin, but if the ball flow sucks or is too broken up on the PF then it won't get played nearly as much as say another pin that while not having as much bells and whistles due to better ball flow that table will get played more. hope this didn't scare you away...just trying to put it in perspective

Edited by faralos, 05 May 2011 - 10:48 AM.

----Steve Jobs

#19 Itchigo

Itchigo

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All

• Trophies:

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (templarjh @ May 4 2011, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go ahead, try again. If I can do it... Faralos can tell you how much I knew a year ago. I usually start with an idea or aspects I want to put in, ramps, etc. Then build it, then code, and then sounds and other things. I rarely just start sketching- it doesn't work that well for me that way. (VP Tribute). dblthumb.gif

By the way, looking good.

Edited by Itchigo, 05 May 2011 - 12:13 PM.

Founder of Rogue Pinball! https://roguepinball.com/index.php                 Making Pinball great again!!

partylikeits1776-.jpg

#20 Bob5453

Bob5453

I'm taking a nap

• VIP
  • 3,896 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Any table I can play while sitting in a rocking chair

• Trophies:

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

eh heh heh, cool theme....

Here's a pic of a Beavis & Butthead VP table from around 2001. smile.gif

Posted Image

You have discovered an Easter egg. Pat yourself on the back.