• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,394 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Theatre of Magic VP91x v2.1.1FS

Version: 2.1.1
Category: VP 9.x Cabinet Tables (FULL SCREEN)

Author(s): jpsalas

Description:
Based on the table Theatre of Magic from 1995 by Bally.
I tried to make the table the way I should like to play it in the computer. I have not tried to make a 100% copy of the original table. As you may know, I like wire ramps and I like to see as much as posible of the playfield. Well, if you don't like it, then MOD it!

First I should like to thanks to all the authors who have done this table before, like Jamin, PD, PK, Fuseball, Dorsola, Guittar, Kristian, Jive and maybe someone who I have forgoten. Without their tables I could have never done this one. After many attemps to get the trunk to work using a mech definition, I had to study the trunk code from their tables to adapt it to my table.

Speaking about the trunk: in vpm the trunk has 280 positions, and my animation just 36 frames, and there is one problem: sometimes the cube doesn't rotate as it should and it stops a few steps before truning completely. This adds some more excitement since the cube has its own life (actually it will work fine most of the time )

I have used PK's settings from the Ultracade machine on most of the parts, and they aren't so different in gameplay to my last tables. They make the table play fast, as it should be in this kind of tables.

I have nothing more to add, you all know this table, much better than me, I'm sure of it

Enjoy
JP

Update 2.02: Thanks to James for finding and fixing two bugs:
- the top diverter was not working
- the ball was lost when the ball was on the magnet and the cube rotated the other way.

Update 2.1
- updated for VP91x, with new alpha ramps, new settings, and some graphics changes. This FS version includes higher resolution graphics.

2.1.1 Fixed bumpers loop and ball stuck

View File

Submitted by jpsalas, on Apr 14 2011, 11:12 AM

Edited by jpsalas, 14 April 2011 - 06:19 PM.

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 epthegeek

epthegeek

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 618 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Looks like the reflected lights in the upper right got a bit wonky in this update - at least from the screenshot.

Ninja edit: Oh wait, maybe those reflections weren't in the JP only version - maybe UW added those with the night mod. The text just looks odd because it's intended to be reflected. I think.

In any event, thanks for the update!

Edited by epthegeek, 14 April 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Grizz

Grizz

Art Guru

• VIP
  • 1,105 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fishtales, Theatre of Magic, Tales of Arabian Nights

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Phishtales
  • 360 Gamer Tag: PrecedentEnd

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

Beautiful!
Thank u sir!

QUOTE (jpsalas @ Apr 14 2011, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theatre of Magic VP91x v2.1FS

Version: 2.1.0
Category: VP 9.x Cabinet Tables (FULL SCREEN)

Author(s): jpsalas

Description:
Based on the table Theatre of Magic from 1995 by Bally.
I tried to make the table the way I should like to play it in the computer. I have not tried to make a 100% copy of the original table. As you may know, I like wire ramps and I like to see as much as posible of the playfield. Well, if you don't like it, then MOD it!

First I should like to thanks to all the authors who have done this table before, like Jamin, PD, PK, Fuseball, Dorsola, Guittar, Kristian, Jive and maybe someone who I have forgoten. Without their tables I could have never done this one. After many attemps to get the trunk to work using a mech definition, I had to study the trunk code from their tables to adapt it to my table.

Speaking about the trunk: in vpm the trunk has 280 positions, and my animation just 36 frames, and there is one problem: sometimes the cube doesn't rotate as it should and it stops a few steps before truning completely. This adds some more excitement since the cube has its own life (actually it will work fine most of the time )

I have used PK's settings from the Ultracade machine on most of the parts, and they aren't so different in gameplay to my last tables. They make the table play fast, as it should be in this kind of tables.

I have nothing more to add, you all know this table, much better than me, I'm sure of it

Enjoy
JP

Update 2.02: Thanks to James for finding and fixing two bugs:
- the top diverter was not working
- the ball was lost when the ball was on the magnet and the cube rotated the other way.

Update 2.1
- updated for VP91x, with new alpha ramps, new settings, and some graphics changes. This FS version includes higher resolution graphics.

View File

Submitted by jpsalas, on Apr 14 2011, 04:12 PM

Table Artwork-Alien Poker, Baseball, Big Bang Bar, Black Pyramid, Comet, Dark Silverball, Grand Prix, Knockout, Monster Bash, Mini Cycle,
Road Race, Royal Flush, Royal Flush Deluxe, South Pacific, Space Invaders, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Whitewater

Original Table Artwork-7 Deadly Pins, Black Sabbath 70's & 80's, Cowboys&Indians, Hot Wheels, Iron Maiden, Royal Flush Supreme, Schizo, Seawitch, Theatre of Magic "Houdini's Revenge", The Munsters, Puzzlebox.

Dynamic Duo Artwork- Radical, Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street, Mr.&Mrs.Pacman, No Fear, Star Trek 25th

Table Releases- Royal Flush Trilogy

Backglasses- Over 255 Remastered in Hires

http://www.arcadecru...ables/hyperpin/

By JR {Uncle Willys Art Guy} Ace9567 Dynamic Duo=[GrizzleGrindHackenbot]

Posted Image

#4 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thank you!!!
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#5 B2K24

B2K24

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Anything released by JPSalas

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Awesome table, Thank you JP

#6 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,394 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I just want to add that I didn't use oooplayer's playfield since it wasn't finished, and since mine wasn't too bad so I used it smile.gif

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#7 slam23

slam23

Pinhead extraordinaire

• Charter Member
  • 811 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones (1993) + Lord of the Rings

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

Will fire this baby up in VP tonight! Thanks JP for updating this fun table!
Slam23

Did you know that "playing pinball" is called "flipperen" in Dutch? Now you know and may your life be enriched by this arcane knowledge....

#8 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones(Williams), Attack from Mars

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

Woohoo! Amazing smile.gif Thx for this JP the playfield looks amazing(just like your ramps).

Jp there is 1 serious bug exist:

The ball stucked there and the bumper when hit it it's looping but not move anywhere, even nudge don't help.

#9 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,075 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

Thanks My Friend! => If I may call you that! wink.gif

Cheers,
FD.

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#10 gStAv

gStAv

Pinball Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: TOM, IJ, AFM, WC94

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

WOW! Thanks JPSalas! This is one of my all time favorites!!
Great quality! clapping.gif

3rs054-6.png

#11 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Sheltemke @ Apr 14 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoo! Amazing smile.gif Thx for this JP the playfield looks amazing(just like your ramps).

Jp there is 1 serious bug exist:

The ball stucked there and the bumper when hit it it's looping but not move anywhere, even nudge don't help.

Mine got stuck behind the right staircase.

I also get a error at line 206 of script

- 'If keycode = KeyRules Then Rules

Edited by bent98, 14 April 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#12 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

It seems to be a difference in the ball size between VP9 and VP912. I didn't test much the table since it worked very well in VP9, so I didn't test it much, I just saw that the ramps worked, so I was happy. But it looks there is a change which makes the ball bounce differently and it gets stuck in places were it worked fine in VP9.

So I'll see if I find what it is stopping the ball, and how to get it to do not get stuck in the bumpers and I'll make an update smile.gif

JP

vp.jpg

#13 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Maybe TFTC next JP?

#14 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (jpsalas @ Apr 14 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems to be a difference in the ball size between VP9 and VP912. I didn't test much the table since it worked very well in VP9, so I didn't test it much, I just saw that the ramps worked, so I was happy. But it looks there is a change which makes the ball bounce differently and it gets stuck in places were it worked fine in VP9.

So I'll see if I find what it is stopping the ball, and how to get it to do not get stuck in the bumpers and I'll make an update smile.gif

JP

Whats the reason for that script error im getting? I have to comment out the line for it to work?

#15 maceman

maceman

Home Pinball Machine Collector/ Restorer

• VIP
  • 2,271 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: ....**Haunted House**....

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

I got the ball loop thing on bumper 3 as well!!!

Awesome table otherwise. Thanx so much JP!!!!!!
________________________________________________________________________________
Canada Eh!
hm_avatar.pngss_avatar.jpg MODS ys_avatar5.jpggenie_avatar.pngj2o_avatar.png

#16 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

Update 2.1.1
I guess it is better now smile.gif At least the ball don't stop under the ramp smile.gif

vp.jpg

#17 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (jpsalas @ Apr 14 2011, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update 2.1.1
I guess it is better now smile.gif At least the ball don't stop under the ramp smile.gif

It's working perfectly now for me smile.gif Thx for the quick fix JP!

#18 slam23

slam23

Pinhead extraordinaire

• Charter Member
  • 811 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones (1993) + Lord of the Rings

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (bent98 @ Apr 14 2011, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jpsalas @ Apr 14 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JP

Whats the reason for that script error im getting? I have to comment out the line for it to work?

I also have the script error on line 206. I removed the "-" at the beginning of the line and removed the " ' " at the beginning of the text line. That seemed to work and the table seems to play fine. I have no idea what the line should do, so it may produce problems later on.

@JP: I'm using the updated table and the ball stills stays up very long in the bumper area, it feels like it doesn't fit that well. Especially with the leftmost bumper and left rollover area where it can still get in a kind of loop, the ball can be nudged free though. This is both with 9.11 and 9.12. It builds a nice Theater Jackpot though, so maybe we should leave it alone... smile.gif The table overall plays like a dream, very smooth gameplay and a lot of fast action, love it!

Slam23

Edited by slam23, 14 April 2011 - 07:09 PM.

Did you know that "playing pinball" is called "flipperen" in Dutch? Now you know and may your life be enriched by this arcane knowledge....

#19 chriz

chriz

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 451 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

JP, you are a magician friends.gif

cheers
Chris

#20 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:29 AM

That "-" wasn't supposed to be there. I must have hit that key before saving the table. So you may remove that - in front of the line. I have done that and updated the table here.

Usually I use to find a few extra "q" in the script when I'm building a table (ESC q when I quit the table) and somehow that "q" manages to find its way into the script smile.gif

vp.jpg