Greynurse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: DOOM by Bigus1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

After playing VPX tables, one of the things that I really liked was the improved graphics, especially the table reflections. It made me feel like I was playing a machine fresh out of the factory, or service centre. I then went back to Future Pinball and discovered that I could configure tables to have the same look, without any noticeable burden on the GPU. However, I haven't been able to do the same in VP9. Am I missing anything, or is this something that VP9 cannot do.

Is there a way to "gloss up" the VP9 table surfaces using VPX, perhaps?

#2 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars, AbraCadaBra,MB, LAH,JPark...too many to choose!

Contributor

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

VPX is not backwards compatible with previous versions of VP.  VPX has many additions and features that were not found in previous versions, one of them being PF reflections.  The only way to get PF reflections in VP9 would be to fake it using an image with transparency.  I faked PF wire reflections on the VP9/Physmod 5 version of Jurassic Park.

#3 Greynurse

Greynurse

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: DOOM by Bigus1

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

mmmm.......I thought the answer might be something like that. Thanks for the reply, Dark.

It sounds like a lot of work as I have something like 1500 tables I would have to do. Never to mind, Given the tremendous work the authors have done, I'm not dissatisfied with what I have.

When I upgrade my graphics card from the current nVidea 9600, I'll get on board with VPX all the way. Thanks again.

Nursie

#4 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars, AbraCadaBra,MB, LAH,JPark...too many to choose!

Contributor

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

You really need to hop on board the vpx train! :)

You should be able to run some vpx tables even with some lower end hardware no?  Just not the really crazy ones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Visual Pinball